The General Gardening Thread

John park hopper

We had 2 days with no rain so I was able to get in the garden and pull weeds and till it-- planted sugar snap peas, 4 varieties of winter squash, green beans and blackened peas was going to plant more stuff today. Got up early --thunder booming and raining cats and dogs got and 1 1//2 inches of rain(don't need)and standing water in the garden. Looks like I won't be planting anything for a while again--Again

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We had 2 days with no rain so I was able to get in the garden and pull weeds and till it-- planted sugar snap peas, 4 varieties of winter squash, green beans and blackened peas was going to plant more stuff today. Got up early --thunder booming and raining cats and dogs got and 1 1//2 inches of rain(don't need)and standing water in the garden. Looks like I won't be planting anything for a while again

Wow we have literally only had one decent rain each month past 3.....and you are getting a ton!!! Too bad we can't all share it.... ;). I am dreading my water bill.....:cool:

Willmark

Original Poster
Sorry guys and gals been a bit busy.

Garden is doing well, we've gotten a very big yield of the pear tomatoes, lots of zucchini and beans. Corn is growing as is the garlic and carrots. Lots of bee activity from the various flowers and wild weeds I've contained to one spot. Pumpkins are sprawling all over.

Sunflowers, as you can see in the photos below, the tallest are over 10 feet tall! Still haven’t quite flowered yet however. A few have stopped following the sun, turned their heads east and almost open, and thats not the tallest ones.

Strawberries survived their transport to their barrels and the blueberry and blackberry bushes the same; they are for next year.

Regular tomatoes, lettuce and peppers did not do that well but that is probably due to heat and soil conditions. Anything i got this year was a bonus so I'm not really worried. Already planning for next year and adding potatoes behind the shed in a separate spot.
IMG_1468.JPEG

IMG_1469.JPEG

Last edited:

John park hopper

Garden is doing well, we've gotten very big yield of the pear tomatoes, lots of zucchini and beans. Corn is growing as is the garlic and carrots. Lots of bee activity from the various flowers and wild weeds I've contained to one spot. Pumpkins are sprawling all over.

Sunflowers, as you can see in the photos below, the tallest are over 10 feet tall! Still havent quite flowered yet however. A few have stopped following the sun, turned their heads east and almost open, and thats not the tallest ones.

Strawberries survived their transport to their barrels and the blueberry and blackberry bushes the same; they are for next year.

Regular tomatoes, lettuce and peppers did not do that well but that is probably due to heat and soil conditions. Anything i got this year was a bonus so I'm not really worried. Already planning for next year and adding potatoes behind the shed in a separate spot.
View attachment 492046

View attachment 492048
Garden looks great. Is that your Golden?

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Garden is doing well, we've gotten very big yield of the pear tomatoes, lots of zucchini and beans. Corn is growing as is the garlic and carrots. Lots of bee activity from the various flowers and wild weeds I've contained to one spot. Pumpkins are sprawling all over.

Sunflowers, as you can see in the photos below, the tallest are over 10 feet tall! Still havent quite flowered yet however. A few have stopped following the sun, turned their heads east and almost open, and thats not the tallest ones.

View attachment 492046

View attachment 492048

Wow, you've done very well with your new garden -- lots of variety. You must be really happy!

I also love that your doggie insisted on being included in the garden photo. :joyfull: (My dog would have been a camera hog as well. ;) )

Just the other day, I read about the importance of bees; and their population has been dwindling. So it was encouraging to read that your flowers were attracting them.

John park hopper

Over the last couple of years I have noticed a significant decrease in the honey bee population here in SC. We have bumble bees that seem to pollinate. Just read a killer wasp (2" long from Asia) that feeds on honey bees has been found out west. Ag dept very concerned-- just what we don't need

John park hopper

Woke up last night at 2 in the morning, it was raining cats and dogs--thought I left the window in my truck open so downstairs I go run outside --it was closed, dried off went back to bed. Got up at 6 and it was still pouring down-- rain gauge 4 more inches we didn't need. The garden and everything else is under water. Supposed to get more rain

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Willmark , is your garden still growing vegetables? (I don't know how long the growing season is in upstate N.Y.)

Years ago, I recall my father had a garden, and our growing season was sort of late. He had quite a few tomatoes in September, so that's what made me wonder if you were still growing veggies, or if (I assume) some colder temps up in your area, might have ended your growing season.

John park hopper

The plastic on my greenhouse finally after 8 years started to rip from age so I ordered some on line from eBay $80 bucks advertised as warrnetied for 5years. Well it has been on for less than a year and it is shredding so I contacted the seller they requested pictures which I sent. Been a week and they have not answered any of my emails guess I got shafted on that purchase. Done with plastic will use panels. Point of this beware of what you buy

Filed a complaint with eBay yesterday see what happens

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
My lemon grass never went back outside and since coming inside has grown about 8 or 9 inches. Best $1 spent this year:joyfull: The only things left to harvest are the thai type peppers which are getting nice and red. It's been an interesting year for them as they I have a much bigger yield but they're taking longer to ripen. 1601467516995.png Baked bean/veggie soup with smoked sausage, everything in it sans beans came from local organic farms

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom