The Future of Transportation To Disney World

Jose Eber

Original Poster
Well, as locals may or may not know, the largest commercial airliner visited us for a few days (left this morning). This craft is the future of transport to MCO (Orlando International) as sometimes Virgin brings in 4 Jumbo Jets a day to our Airport. They expect to receive their A380 by 2013

The large craft was greeted by Mickey Mouse and the Mayor of Orlando in a mini ceremony welcoming the world's first and only full double decker airplane.

Although the public could not attend, I decided to pay a visit to the hangers. Folks from the U.K. -- this could be your future 'ride' to Disney World.

14382406qu8.jpg

movieclipping2vq4.jpg

movieclipping4mq0.jpg

movieclipping3lr4.jpg

How far did you get at KMCO? I love that airport, and I live quite near it. I've only been with an airplane ticket though, but I've wanted to just look around and watch airplanes.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
The A380 was in the cargo area, not by the two terminals. I totally missed it from the top of the parking structure, only with the zoom could I see it clearly.

jeffb

Nice shots. I can not wait to have a chance to take a trip on A380 as well as the Boeing Dreamliner. I am quite partial to big planes. I remeber the days of taking Eastern L-1011s from JFK to MCO to visit the mouse.

WhyteAL

I heard the boeing Dreamliner is being delayed indefinately because they are have manufactuering problems due to the parts being produced all over the world and then assembled at one location in the US. Which has caused major delays. Even though the Airbus was delayed and overbudget it does look impressive. I hope one day to able to fly in it. I will not be in it going to Orlando in it though, I own a Honda for that short distance ;).

bgraham34

I dont know if I would want to fly on that. Can you imagine how long it will take to board and deboard. I get fed up waiting now to get off the plane to see Mickey.

Lynx04

I dont know if I would want to fly on that. Can you imagine how long it will take to board and deboard. I get fed up waiting now to get off the plane to see Mickey.

Airports have to reconfigure some of their termals to service this aircraft. The terminals that service this aircraft have 3 jetways for boarding. While I think the aircraft is a great replacement and alternative to Boeing's 747. I think Boeing still made the right projection of future air travelers (point to point) that is why airbus is scrambling for a competitor to the 787. We will see how the 350XWB stands.

The real question related to WDW travelers, will the A380 bring down the price for seats?

jeffb

I think it is currently a six month delay. When they originally announced the delay / problem I believe they blamed it on a shortage of fasteners, which is definitely odd since I would think that fasteners would be one of the easier components to have made and keep on hand.

I heard the boeing Dreamliner is being delayed indefinately because they are have manufactuering problems due to the parts being produced all over the world and then assembled at one location in the US. Which has caused major delays. Even though the Airbus was delayed and overbudget it does look impressive. I hope one day to able to fly in it. I will not be in it going to Orlando in it though, I own a Honda for that short distance ;).

AndyP

Airports have to reconfigure some of their termals to service this aircraft. The terminals that service this aircraft have 3 jetways for boarding. While I think the aircraft is a great replacement and alternative to Boeing's 747. I think Boeing still made the right projection of future air travelers (point to point) that is why airbus is scrambling for a competitor to the 787. We will see how the 350XWB stands.

The real question related to WDW travelers, will the A380 bring down the price for seats?

I think both Boeing and Airbus are correct, point to point travel is obviously going to be a success from the sales of the 787 to date. But travelling between the current hubs is still point to point and the large aircraft will be required, hence the A380, and Boeing 747-800 which is being developed (with poor sales figures for passenger aircraft to date). Loving the aircraft topics on the WDW forums btw, my two favourite subjects since I'm a 3rd year Aerospace Engineer Undergrad and a disney lover :D :sohappy:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If it aint boeing - I aint going!
I second that statement! If I had known you were a fan, I'd have picked you up something from the Boeing Gift Shop at their Chicago HQ :)

Plus, the A380 reminds me of Baby Huey

so... I'm flying in an Embraer ERJ-145XR tomorrow :lookaroun :zipit:

mkt

Premium Member
Umm, that's why you fly first class.
J,
How many tourists do you think will be willing to pay for F on an A380 for their Disney vacation ;)

Plus, so far only three airlines that serve MCO have even placed orders for the A380 (BA, VS, and LH), and I don't think MCO is the type of market that this plane is headed to :( However: KE, EK, EY, AF, AR, QR, and A7 all have orders for the A380, and it has the range to fly direct to MCO nonstop from their hubs. Heck, QF has a focus city in BNE, but it's about 200 miles longer than its range.

mrerk

Premium Member
J,
How many tourists do you think will be willing to pay for F on an A380 for their Disney vacation ;)

Plus, so far only three airlines that serve MCO have even placed orders for the A380 (BA, VS, and LH), and I don't think MCO is the type of market that this plane is headed to :( However: KE, EK, EY, AF, AR, QR, and A7 all have orders for the A380, and it has the range to fly direct to MCO nonstop from their hubs. Heck, QF has a focus city in BNE, but it's about 200 miles longer than its range.

English translation please? I was with you up to MCO.

mkt

Premium Member
A380 - Airbus A380
BA - British Airways
LH- Lufthansa
VS- Virgin Atlantic
KE- Korean Air
EK- Emirates
EY- Etihad Airways
AF- Air France
AR- Aerolineas Argentinas
QR- Qatar Airways
A7- Air Comet
QF- Qantas
BNE- Brisbane

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom