The Future of Transportation To Disney World

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Happens every day. I see 3 taxi past my window. Can't even imagine the madhouse that terminal is.

And the A380 was flown in by Airbus (MSN 007). I went over to get a closer look and even though I have ramp access, I was denied by an OIA offical. Airbus was running the show he said and only invited guests were allowed near the thing.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bigplane1407nov14,0,397831.story?track=rss
Hrrm... over on Flyertalk they're saying it was operated by Air France, with testimony and trip reports from pax on the plane. Perhaps only the YUL-CDG segment?

Bolna

This brings up an interesting debate in the Boeing vs. Airbus debate...

Unless things changed, I read about 6 years ago that in the event of an emergency, the Airbus planes are designed for the first priority to be a COMPUTER to take control of the plane and stabilize it/bring it in for a landing. The first option on a Boeing is for the PILOT to take over and fly the plane, with a computer backup option.

I personally would rather have a pilot, with a "feel" for the plane, have the first crack and saving my (and his/her) life, but maybe not everyone feels that way........

:drevil:

I think most people would feel this way, but in the Überlingen plane crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashkirian_Airlines_Flight_2937) if the pilots had followed the advice of the computer, it would not have happened... While I agree with you about the feeling part of it, I think maybe we are feeling the wrong way :shrug:

And by the way, the Airbus 380 passed a strict evacuation test: With 8 of the 16 exits blocked, 853 passengers and 20 crew left the aircraft in 78 seconds, less than the 90 seconds required by certification standards. I know this does not help in case the plane really crashes, but at least if you make it to the ground you have a chance to get off fast!!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I thought very few landings were pilot controlled these days anyway.

I can see the attraction for Virgin, most days two flights leave from Gatwick within 2 hours of ecah other, the same in peak from Manchester and soon they are flying from Glasgow.

Not a fan of Airbus or anything the French are involved in given the build quality of there cars.

Mind you Boeing are American if i take the same logic:eek: planes that cant bank.......

mrerk

Premium Member
by the way, the Airbus 380 passed a strict evacuation test: With 8 of the 16 exits blocked, 853 passengers and 20 crew left the aircraft in 78 seconds, less than the 90 seconds required by certification standards. I know this does not help in case the plane really crashes, but at least if you make it to the ground you have a chance to get off fast!!

I always wondered what the evac time was on that beast.

mrerk

Premium Member
I think most people would feel this way, but in the Überlingen plane crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashkirian_Airlines_Flight_2937) if the pilots had followed the advice of the computer, it would not have happened... While I agree with you about the feeling part of it, I think maybe we are feeling the wrong way :shrug:

Never heard of that incident before. I can't even put into words how I feel about it. Such a tragedy.

Jose Eber

Original Poster
MKT -- it could be using Air France pilots. Their delivery is scheduled for just over a year from now.

Also, can you imagine 800 Argentines coming in, chanting all the way down the alley way, on magical express, past their hotel to the monorails to MK?

GREAT shots jvrabel

Gringrinngghost

I can....no boeing 777 series plane has crashed (almost 13 years of service). ...
i As of October 2007, the Boeing 777 has not suffered a hull loss accident.
  • The only known fatality involving a Boeing 777 occurred in a refueling fire at Denver International Airport in 2001, during which a ground worker sustained fatal burns.[44] Although the aircraft's wings were badly scorched, it was repaired and put back into service with British Airways.
  • On August 24, 2004, A Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-312 had an engine explosion on takeoff at Melbourne Airport. This was due to erosion of the high pressure compression liners in the Rolls-Royce engines. [45]
  • On March 1, 2005, a PIA Boeing 777-200ER after landing at Manchester International Airport, England, fire was seen around the left main landing gear. The crew and passengers were evacuated and fire was put under control. Some passengers suffered minor injuries and the aircraft sustained minor damages.[46]
  • On August 1, 2005, A Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER gave conflicting reports of overspeed and stalling after the plane took off from Perth to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The plane started to pitch up at 41,000 feet and the pilots were compelled to execute an emergency landing. No one was injured.

Source: Wikipedia

Jeff456

I see the A380 all the time where i live and the beluga which is a bit odd aswell. The wings are made at Airbus in Filton around 10 miles from where i live, and my stepdad works for BAE systems which owns airbus so he tells me when the a380 is going to be there, taking off etc.

mkt

Premium Member
The Airbus 380 and the other Airbus planes are not made by the Boeing company. The Airbus 380 Is made by the Company of Airbus
He's well aware ;) There's been an Airbus v. Boeing rivalry among aviation fans. That's actually an old marketing slogan for Boeing

mkt

Premium Member
MKT -- it could be using Air France pilots. Their delivery is scheduled for just over a year from now.

Well, the same plane flew CDG-YUL-MCO-YUL-CDG with an Air France crew, so I still think it may have been AF pilots with Airbus instructors on board

Also, can you imagine 800 Argentines coming in, chanting all the way down the alley way, on magical express, past their hotel to the monorails to MK?

Not a chance. They're Argentine ;)

Tim G

i As of October 2007, the Boeing 777 has not suffered a hull loss accident.
The only known fatality involving a Boeing 777 occurred in a refueling fire at Denver International Airport in 2001, during which a ground worker sustained fatal burns.[44] Although the aircraft's wings were badly scorched, it was repaired and put back into service with British Airways.
Technically not a crash
On August 24, 2004, A Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-312 had an engine explosion on takeoff at Melbourne Airport. This was due to erosion of the high pressure compression liners in the Rolls-Royce engines. [45]
Technically not a crash
On March 1, 2005, a PIA Boeing 777-200ER after landing at Manchester International Airport, England, fire was seen around the left main landing gear. The crew and passengers were evacuated and fire was put under control. Some passengers suffered minor injuries and the aircraft sustained minor damages.[46]
Technically not a crash
On August 1, 2005, A Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER gave conflicting reports of overspeed and stalling after the plane took off from Perth to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The plane started to pitch up at 41,000 feet and the pilots were compelled to execute an emergency landing. No one was injured.
Technically not a crash
So far for Wikisomething :lookaroun

mkt

Premium Member
From the experiences I have had with Argentines, I guess about 500 would do what Jose said and 300 will be civilized.

:lookaroun
the ratio for behaved ones is likely higher than that ;) Argentine culture is more similar to European and US culture than other South American cultures.

However to be fair, teenage brats behave the same way regardless of culture- American teenage brats included :) Perhaps the statement should be that 500 of the 800 Argentinians could be teenage brats?

WDW Monorail

the ratio for behaved ones is likely higher than that ;) Argentine culture is more similar to European and US culture than other South American cultures.

However to be fair, teenage brats behave the same way regardless of culture- American teenage brats included :) Perhaps the statement should be that 500 of the 800 Argentinians could be teenage brats?

Very fair... I'm part Argentinian myself.
:wave:

Lynx04

I thought very few landings were pilot controlled these days anyway.

Very true...... Most flight operations are controlled by computer now on aircraft. After about 1500 to 3000 feet off the ground, most of the time the pilot activate the autopilot which may stay active all the way up to including the landing, or to the very end of the landing. Airbus aircraft are very computer controlled, the Fly-By-Wire limits many of the controls of the aircraft, including pitch and roll. Basically the computer won't let the plane fully roll over.

Most of the landings that I have seen in commercial aircraft when a pilot is using auto pilot to land, the turn it off once they hit the glide slope. Although aircraft are pretty much capable of flying on their own. I would never fly in an aircraft that has no pilot monitoring the craft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom