The Future of Transportation To Disney World

bennyw01

back in august i had a weird experience on one of my dads 737 where the captain gave an example of a computer landing and let the plane land it self. it flew in and touched ground really late and breaked really late quite steeply. the computer calculated the bare minimum requirements as it had been transatlantic and left things to the last min, there smart like that. computerzzzzzzzzzzzzz :lookaroun

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Yeah, not saying it wasn't AF. Just reporting what the guy told me. And it was a Airbus livery aircraft of course. Not sure how the whole thing worked out. I know that AF doesn't fly into Orlando so it seems odd they'd come down to check out the airport. Unless they're going to start flights here. Virgin or BA I'd buy.

Who knew we have avation buffs on here. Anyone else in the business or just fans?

mrerk

Premium Member
Just a fan here. We used to go to Logan just to watch the planes. They had a wonderful observation area one level below the control tower. :eek: Someone finally figured out it was a huge security risk and closed it down.

AndyP

Who knew we have avation buffs on here. Anyone else in the business or just fans?

Aerospace Engineering Undergraduate here, and starting commercial flight training in 2 years if all goes to plan!

Just a few thoughts on what I've been reading:

While the computers can technically run the entire flights they are usually only employed to do so in special circumstances, mainly due to poor visibility due to the weather. Takeoff and landing are almost always pilot controlled, for the most part because they are pilots who love flying and don't want to sit back and watch a computer do the job! And also, if pilots didn't routinely do takeoffs and landings and only did them in emergencys it is clearly the case that they would be less competent in doing so through lack of practice.

As far as safety goes, I watched a tv program recently on the jet engine in Jeremy Clarkson's Inventions that changed the world. I can't remember the exact figures and they have possibly (but unlikely to have) changed, but over the decade before the program was made, 170 million passengers made 17 million flights on UK airlines and no one died due to the aircraft. UK government statistics showed that you are more likely to die putting on a pair of pants ( I'm guessing falling over in doing so and banging your head or something!? ) than flying a UK airline!!

In terms of handling an aircraft I believe Airbus planes have computer limits imposed on the aircraft to prevent structural loads on the structure that exceed the structural limits. I also believe Boeing is more relaxed on this, believing its better to move out the way of something and suffer some structural damage than hit whatever you're trying to manoevre around. This is as far as I can remember and things may have changed.

And to whoever said they thought it was better for a pilot to have control than a computer because of the 'feel' thay have, you can also get pilot induced error due to this very feel due to over-compensation in manoevures. So it's not really a case of one or the other but a combination of both. You don't really need to worry about these things on modern aircraft as they have been considered and the safety record speaks for itself.

JML42691

I'm a fan, but my the two main runways out of Logan go directly over my school (2.5 miles out), and you see a ton of planes fly in for a landing (on a regular wind scenario), and my neighbor was a former high ranking official for jetBlue, but now works for Delta and he is in and out of the airport daily.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
I'm an IT Director for an airline. The whole reason that I took this job was for the free flights to Orlando so I could get my Disney fix. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom