The Frozen 'Initiative' ...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's probably the most relevant film to the youngest crop of Disney kids so much like BATB, Aladdin, Mermaid is to us, it will be relevant for years. I mean, if Pan, Snow White, Alice & Pinocchio still resonate with folks, I'm sure Frozen will for quite awhile. Not that you can/should compare Frozen to any of those in terms of quality.
I honestly don't know if it is. Once the next big animated movie comes out, from whichever studio, will Frozen be forgotten, or at least put on the back burner? I can't decide either way, but I'm not convinced it is here to stay. We'll see. Glad I'm not making the decisions about how far to go with it.

GrumpyFan

Hardly it is mediocrity at its finest ... queue the sounds of a thousand clicks "But it made XXXXXX sums of money at the box office" ... still a mediocre film being added to a stale park in Epcot and handicapping other parks.

Difference of opinion, I guess. Personally, it was an enjoyable film, but not one of my all time favorites from Disney.
Regardless of yours or mine or anyone else's opinion though, any executive/company with such a hit would be foolish to not try and continue to make more money off it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hardly it is mediocrity at its finest ... queue the sounds of a thousand clicks "But it made XXXXXX sums of money at the box office" ... still a mediocre film being added to a stale park in Epcot and handicapping other parks.

Get off the high horse

This isn't the academy of arts and sciences museum park. I know it's all cool to think froZen is some hack that it's just a fluke etc but wake the hell up and look around.

Stevek

I honestly don't know if it is. Once the next big animated movie comes out, from whichever studio, will Frozen be forgotten, or at least put on the back burner? I can't decide either way, but I'm not convinced it is here to stay. We'll see. Glad I'm not making the decisions about how far to go with it.
Yep, hard to tell. But I'm sure Disney isn't going to let this opportunity pass, much like they have for many years with other hot properties.

EPCOTCenterLover

Perhaps, just perhaps, it will lead to Disney Imagineering doing something great and not just in Tokyo. Count me in as one of those who thinks Frozen will have staying power. If so, how can you blame the suits for getting it into the parks as soon as possible? I just hope its a quality product. I have my doubts, but you never know.

Magenta Panther

I think that if a really good attraction is built, that in itself will guarantee its long-term appeal. Just the idea of an ice kingdom in a park in Orlando Florida is very appealing, don't you think? An ice palace, buildings with snow on them (hey it worked for Hogsmeade, and snow is a more appropriate theme for Frozen, after all), a 3D show in a frozen-cave-themed theater (a la the grotto look in the Mermaid show), shops with icicles on them, and where it actually snows every now and then...those things would be fun to experience whether one is a fan of Frozen or not.

But then we have Iger in charge, don't we, a guy who doesn't look at a Disney success as a catalyst for a creative presentation at the parks, but as a way to exploit park guests...it's sickening. Just sickening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
IMO, I wish they'd give it time to breathe a little. Most parents of young ones that I speak to, myself included, are sick to death of Frozen. I'm suffering from a massive Frozen Backlash.
Avatar is the current highest grossing film in history, and most folks around here hate the idea of that as well and complain that it is no longer relevant (was just having that discussion in another thread) and ask why Disney would choose that film as a massive investment for one of their parks.
Personally I wish they would wait 1-2 years for an investment in a Frozen attraction, and if it still is a beloved film, then investing in it properly.

Hysterical - people complain that Disney didn't have stuff and had to rush. And now you say 'let's see if it's real'....

Second - the attention for frozen is not just over its box office (unlike avatar) , is an in house property (unlike avatar), and is being begged for by your customers (unlike avatar).

Trying to pull avatar in as an example is foolish.

Quinnmac000

Hysterical - people complain that Disney didn't have stuff and had to rush. And now you say 'let's see if it's real'....

Second - the attention for frozen is not just over its box office (unlike avatar) , is an in house property (unlike avatar), and is being begged for by your customers (unlike avatar).

The same customers have been screaming about Star Wars Land for years yet it seems they would rather appease the Mommy/princess crowd. Did you ever think the complaining isn't about Frozen completely but the fact they keep targeting an isolated demographic.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

First, being an in house property makes not a single bit of difference aside from licensing rights, which would be nearly a non-issue compared to design and build cost.
And it's being begged for by customers currently. There was a time I was trying to find Frozen merch for my kids just like everyone else. Now myself, my wife, and my 6 year old all cannot stand the film. My 3 year old is the only one who is still into it. My 6 year old leaves the room if we put the movie on. Anecdotal evidence yes, but do we know how long that will last? Will it stay beloved, or will it fade?
And comparing one film or IP to the other is never foolish. Comparing Frozen to a Grand Theft Auto video game would be foolish. Comparing it to a hair dryer would be. Comparing films staying power however is not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The same customers have been screaming about Star Wars Land for years yet it seems they would rather appease the Mommy/princess crowd. Did you ever think the complaining isn't about Frozen completely but the fact they keep targeting an isolated demographic.

Then the argument would be that it's too narrowly focused - which it has not been the argument posed. Second, it's not as if we've heard of entire lands or parks as the proposed... So too much of one thing is out too...

Please point me to a post where people have said 'man frozen would be cool... But can we get some boy stuff first?'

Clamman73

I don't blame Disney for trying to find ways to capitalize on the craze of Frozen but, I'm actually surprised they haven't created a premium dining experience or something similar. They could easily re-create Elsa's coronation ceremony every hour in Akershus (or anywhere really) by offering a selection of light h'orderves and drinks for 100-200 guests at a time, at a premium price of course.

I'm also surprised they're not thinking about an update for Philharmagic and adding a sequence/scene featuring Frozen. Can't you just see Donald singing "Let it go" while Elsa holds on to it and/or freezes him!
Aren't we thinking they could add a Frozen scene in philharmagic in the upcoming refurb?

flynnibus

Premium Member
First, being an in house property makes not a single bit of difference aside from licensing rights, which would be nearly a non-issue compared to design and build cost.

Are you on dope? Have you forgotten how many posts there have been over the years arguing 'what is Disney' or not and why things like star wars or Pixar were not the same and shouldn't be in the park??? (Before they were aquired)

it's being begged for by customers currently. There was a time I was trying to find Frozen merch for my kids just like everyone else. Now myself, my wife, and my 6 year old all cannot stand the film. My 3 year old is the only one who is still into it. My 6 year old leaves the room if we put the movie on. Anecdotal evidence yes, but do we know how long that will last? Will it stay beloved, or will it fade?

You mean like they waited to see if American idol was going to last?

What is your definition of the cooling off people Disney should follow to decide if something is a fad or not?

Maybe we should tell kids wanting to see their favorite new character that they have to wait until they've grown up so Disney can ensure their tastes were up to par

And comparing one film or IP to the other is never foolish. Comparing Frozen to a Grand Theft Auto video game would be foolish. Comparing it to a hair dryer would be. Comparing films staying power however is not.

It is when you try to call an apple an orange because they both came from a tree.

SirLink

Get off the high horse

This isn't the academy of arts and sciences museum park. I know it's all cool to think froZen is some hack that it's just a fluke etc but wake the hell up and look around.

If Disney were to take the educational high horse once in a while it would be something at least. What is the phrase people use "mediocrity breeds mediocrity"? Never a truer statement was used to describe P&R and the WDAS.

scoobygirl39541

I seem to be one of the few on this board that LOVE Frozen and want it all over the parks! HOWEVER, I also want it done as magnificently as possible. The potential of a Frozen land is off the charts and as much as SW fans want to see that come to fruition, that's how much I want a true Frozen land.

That said, just make it impressive enough so those who hate the franchise can get some enjoyment too. I hate SW, but I could look past that with a fully immersive land with excellent rides

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom