The fate of Star Tours?

HauntedMansionFLA

OK, how about this for non-Star-Wars-fans: Everything else in the three parks which isn't Star Wars? This includes three parks with no Star Wars. And for the one park with Star Wars, this includes 6 rides that aren't Star Wars to the 3 that are. Three new single-IP lands are being added or just built. One of the three is Star Wars.

Your complaint has zero merit as witnessed by the need to label Star Wars "almighty", and it's fans rabid and fevered. You know that that doesn't make your point valid, right? It just makes it seem like emotional ranting.

Are you OK?
Him’s needs a nap

TheDuke

The new ride is crummy, so I personally don't care, but I find it hard to believe they'd re-theme with how hot of a property SW is right now. I doubt they'll view three SW rides as "too much".

No Name

Calamity is a very different design. The only thing the same is the RV system and screens.

I guess what I am saying is that they shouldn't have went with a design that can't handle similar crowds. I think their priorities are a bit out of order. But that's nothing new.

JediMasterMatt

1600ish is the ballpark for both they were shooting for.

Not horrible and better than some of the recent Parks additions; but, nowhere near Omnimover territory.

NoChesterHester

1600ish is the ballpark for both they were shooting for.

Not horrible and better than some of the recent Parks additions; but, nowhere near Omnimover territory.

What’s the capacity of the Studios after all this? 20-25K? At 1,600 an hour they won’t be able to handle 3/4 of a people in a full day of operation. That’s unacceptable.

JediMasterMatt

Is that before doubling it?
What’s the capacity of the Studios after all this? 20-25K? At 1,600 an hour they won’t be able to handle 3/4 of a people in a full day of operation. That’s unacceptable.

No, that was the range both attractions were targeted for when they were designing them. Falcon was going to be half that until some degree of common sense prevailed and they added back the 2 extra turntables.

Unfortunately, there are very few RV's capable of very kinetic ride motion AND have other worldly capacity (like an Omnimover). The ride system that comes closest to being a true people eater and can deliver wild ride got used in Forbidden Journey and isn't available to Disney. The LPS system in Alcatraz has the potential for more capacity (in adding more RVs into the mix); but, the story the ride is telling doesn't lend itself to RVs stacking on top of each other. For Big Bird, the limitation was again tied to story as they were already pushing the limits with a 6 person Falcon cockpit. More turntables simply wouldn't fit into Disneyland (which drove the development - although, in theory the expansion pad to the east could've been made to work).

There is an unfortunate perception that "E" caliber rides need to be kinetic in motion. I personally don't agree as a modern day Pirates or Mansion could still wow today just as they did when they came out. Of course, it doesn't help when modern examples use the RV system and then fall flat on their faces with the follow through of having enough budget to have the ambition to be E worthy. Cases in point - NRJ, Under the Sea, and even throw Frozen into the mix (where there is E worthy animatronics in sheep's clothing/budget/scale).

If 1600 was the target for SWL and both should be in that range, that's not bad for modern attractions at the Parks.

It's 2018 - what makes anyone think that every single guest that walks through the gates is entitled to experience everything in one day? Does anyone actually think that's happening today? The whole Mouse trap is designed to get you to come back for multiple days.

The more pressing question people should keep in mind is not what percentage of guests will be able to ride the two SWL headliners... but, what percentage of guests in the opening windows will be able to get into the land? Folks will be left with a real quandary of making a choice to do SW or fulfill a return time elsewhere.

cjkeating

No, that was the range both attractions were targeted for when they were designing them. Falcon was going to be half that until some degree of common sense prevailed and they added back the 2 extra turntables.

I can't believe they actually considered a Star Wars attraction with a capacity of under 1,000. It's hilarious.

Any idea what capacity the 3rd attraction would have had?

JediMasterMatt

I can't believe they actually considered a Star Wars attraction with a capacity of under 1,000. It's hilarious.

Any idea what capacity the 3rd attraction would have had?

I never heard a number for the beast of burden transport. I can't imagine it being much higher than 1200 - 1600. It was more of a show piece that would've added some extra kinetic motion in the land. The loss of it was more about adding a third option to the land to divert the crowds (and hold a line) and the bling it would've added to the show.

cjkeating

I never heard a number for the beast of burden transport. I can't imagine it being much higher than 1200 - 1600. It was more of a show piece that would've added some extra kinetic motion in the land. The loss of it was more about adding a third option to the land to divert the crowds (and hold a line) and the bling it would've added to the show.

Such a shame it was lost. I am sure Battle Escape/Falcon being near impossible to get on without significant time investment whereas this without FP would be a great easy wait/diversion.

tirian

If Tours in DHS were going to be rethemed, then Disney needs to start working on a new film, matching jostling algorithm, and a plan for the queue and store, complete with fabricating all the props and scenery. And they need to start working on that... now.

But, no insider has said they are. Just that the 'plan' is to retheme it 'after' SWL opens. So, if SWL opens and management says, "OK, what shall we do with Tours?", well, then don't expect the retheming until 2020, or 2021, or 2022. That's if they they have the heart to take it off line during the huge crush of people visiting the park for SWL and there's a line just to get into the land.

The only thing that I can think would make it likely for Tours to be rethemed or go away is if in the next year or two someone at WDW wants a new Land taking over Indy and surroundings.

Though, for all I know, they already have secretly started on a Muppets retheme that will be ready to go lickety-split at the end of 2019.
I would cry tears of joy if it became a “Pigs in Space” ride with the Muppets.

It won’t happen. :rolleyes:

Indy_UK

I wonder if all of that was pulled down whether there would be enough space to fit a ride based on the Shanghai Potc tech

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom