The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks for posting that video, I have been meaning to watch it but forgot all about it. I think that will be part of my porch time tomorrow.

The Cast Member version of the Paris Park 'tour' he did was even better....even more insights into the creation of the themed lands and various Attractions.
There is one video I saw a day after it took place, but after a quick look now I don't see it currently listed.
If I find it I'll share that version here, too.

:)

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well today is the day, faithful readers -
Today the latest chapter of this ongoing adventure begins, and it's already off to a entertaining and humorous start.

Take a look at this snapshot I just took while sitting here in @TP2000 s favorite East Coast airport -
The slogan below the pilots window completely contradicts the name of the airline!
I found it a welcome chuckle......

May the hilarity continue.
Hoping I survive the six hour trek....I must have about 20 pounds of snacks stashed in my carry on bag.

Onwards!!

( points self West )

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Having a swell time out here so far...and I found some recently added references to my favorite 'idea guy' hidden within the new Big Thunder Trail makeover.
So you can image how pleased I am to discover those....add em' to the long list of little touches referencing the man and his works!
I'll talk more in-depth about it when I return home, and have more time to devote to the telling.

Other highlights so far include meeting up with a fellow fan who has read this thread and thought it would be fun to ride 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' together to hear more about all the back stories and hidden details from a self confessed Baxter fan.
It was nice to share some stories.

I've also found EPCOT Center merchandise being sold here at Disneyland Park.
Yes, I kid you not.....I was stunned to find Dreamfinder & Figment smiling back at me from a small selection of merch I completely did not expect to see here.
I guess I'm a pretty lucky dragon...as these were previously only availible at this past years D23 Expo which I didn't get to attend.
More about that later on as well.

Right now I must be off...
Today will be filled with more high adventure in hidden temples, prickly briar patches, desert mountains, underwater, and in outer space!

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well my faithful readers, I'm fresh back from the wilds of Anaheim with a few stories to share.
I'm back home now on the East Coast, after a 'vacation' that was more akin to a wild safari.
But I like adventure, and if adventure has a name....well, you know the rest.

So after a brief rest I will happily share some of the fun discoveries made this time around in the Happiest Place ...!

In the meantime, enjoy this snapshot I took soon after takeoff when leaving the West Coast yesterday.
Flying on Virgin America is like flying aboard a Disneyland Monorail.
Same kind of ambiance...check out that cool lighting!

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I will go ahead and start sharing some stories related to the most recent venture now that I've had some time to recoup.

Going in, I knew there was no way this venture could possibly live up to the epicness level of the last excursion.
There can be no comparison, but that is what keeps me coming back - every single trip is completely different!
No two ventures are ever the same and this one had its own ups and downs.
That was made even more clear a few days after arriving...as this particular outing was a real mixed bag.

Several really terrific moments....some not so great.
A few disappointments, and a couple of really cool moments.

I'll begin by talking about one of my favorite 'Baxterattractions', and two new things I discovered within it this time.
'Tony's Temple of Wonders' ( aka 'Indiana Jones Adventure' )

As regular readers know, I've been keeping an eye on that 'letter' located on the workbench as you first enter the Temple of The Forbidden Eye from the outside queue.
It has changed twice since I began this series of visits, and last week I was surprised to see that yet again it is missing!
Either it's been removed, or a overzealous fan stole it...but the bench is bare with only the fastener holes left behind -

One of the many reasons I love this Attraction is the never ending discoveries one can make just looking around the place.
I've been through many times and I still find new things I had not spotted before.
Here's a good example -
A carved stone tablet depicting the dreaded 'Gates of Doom' doorway.
This is located at the end of the exit queue on your right just before you pass the transport truck on your way back out into Adventureland.
It's been there all this time...and I never noticed it until now.
I love finding stuff like this!

The other neat discovery was seeing this backstage while doing a quick pass through on the Monorail -
The top half of one of the Troop Transport ride vehicle shells!
This was sitting behind the show building, perhaps getting a paint job.
Thankfully it was not 'Tony's Transport' #10, which I had confirmed later on to still be running the track in regular rotation.

Another fun happening that took place at this Attraction this visit was getting to meet with a fellow fan who reads this Forum, and this very thread.
So a shout out to you, @Antaundra!
Glad you enjoyed your officially un-official 'Tony Baxter Tour of the Temple'!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Any more stories from your recent trip?:)

Yes, and thanks for asking.
I've been very busy since returning home and kind of left things 'hanging' here with no real conclusion to the story.
Sorry about that.

I also needed to take a break from the whole 'Disney' scene after this recent venture.
So I've been focusing on other things ( non-related art projects ) and getting engrossed in other worlds.
This trip saw a turning point and I needed some space.

I do have a few other bits I've wanted to share, primarily the 'hidden' references to Tony's fabled 'Discovery Bay' that are present in the newly designed Big Thunder Trail, along with a few more photos.
Now that I'm aware of your interest, when I am able to I'll have to come back and post about it here.

Thanks for thinking of me!

-

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yes, and thanks for asking.
I've been very busy since returning home and kind of left things 'hanging' here with no real conclusion to the story.
Sorry about that.

I also needed to take a break from the whole 'Disney' scene after this recent venture.
So I've been focusing on other things ( non-related art projects ) and getting engrossed in other worlds.
This trip saw a turning point and I needed some space.

I do have a few other bits I've wanted to share, primarily the 'hidden' references to Tony's fabled 'Discovery Bay' that are present in the newly designed Big Thunder Trail, along with a few more photos.
Now that I'm aware of your interest, when I am able to I'll have to come back and post about it here.

Thanks for thinking of me!

-

No problem, I understand life gets busy. Your insight is always interesting, post whenever you get a chance.:)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well it took more then a year, but I'm back to add that 'finale' you all have been waiting for.

Yes, I'm fresh back from yet another exciting adventure in my favorite place to be, but before I start talking about the mind blowing experience this latest chapter brings, I need to finish where I left off.

I have to confess I'm rather surprised to see I NEVER finished my observations from my LAST visit in September of 2017!
What...??
So profuse apologies for not finishing the story...I did have a few more observations to share, primarily regarding recently added 'hidden' tributes to Tony Baxter that have been added to the newly developed areas of the Park.
I'll have to check and see if I still have those photos I wanted to share of said tributes...
If not, I'll just have to describe them at this point.

This most recent visit was a standout experience, and I'm not sure yet how I'm going to approach telling the tale but I'll figure something out.
Let me just say right off that it was EPIC and probably may have well topped my experience with Tony at Club 33.
Ultimate Disney Theme Park fan dream experience.
Yes, I said it.

Stay tuned....
Gotta go see if I still have those photos from my last venture first, to close that chapter.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So to continue now where I left off ....

When I visited in September of 2017, the then recently reopened walking trail that runs behind 'Tony's Mountain' had been redesigned, with several new features.
New rock formations, scenic enhancements, propping, and other additions were added as well as two entrances that will eventually lead into the 'Galaxy's Edge' area.

Two of the new editions to this area feature sly little nods to Tony Baxter that only sharp eyed Members of the Tony Baxter Fan Club will likely spot and make the connection.

The first one is featured here upon this seemingly unrelated stagecoach, parked off beside the pathway to the right of the main walkway as you enter the area from Fantasyland -

image.jpeg

Now what does this stagecoach have to do with Tony Baxter?
Well, take a closer look -

image.jpeg
See that luggage tag..?

Jason Chandler is the main character associated with Tony's legendary 'Discovery Bay' concept.
This character was also originally the lead role in a proposed television series based on the proposed land concept called 'The Discovery Bay Chronicles'.
A pilot episode was shot if I'm remembering correctly, and may even be availible for viewing online.

So this is a little nod to Tony's 'Discovery Bay" project that was originally supposed to be built on the land in this area, particularly the area where 'Galaxy's Edge' is located now.

The Jason Chandler character is also referenced in the original 1970s 'story' related to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ( aka ' Tony's Mountain' ).
In the story, Jason invents a machine that can dig for gold deeper then anything invented previously and becomes instantly rich.
Instead of wasting that wealth gamblin' or swillin', he takes his wealth and moves west to San Francisco to create a town by the sea where skilled inventors, scientists, artists, and dreamers can go and use their creative skills to make the world a better place.
Thus, 'Discovery Bay'.

The name also turns up in a Disney related comic book series Marvel released a few years ago.
Jason Chandler was the name given to a lead character in the 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' series.

So the name has many connections tying it to Tony and his works.
It also references the land that was originally proposed to be built in that immediate area.
So wish it had been....

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And speaking of 'Discovery Bay'....

Surely I am not the only one who noticed that the recently redesigned Rivers of America now features a railroad bridge overpass that looks a LOT like the one Tony painted as a part of his 'Bay' concept art for the area...?

Yeah, it's probably just me....but that concept art immedaitely came to mind when i saw this from the Mark Twain that fine afternoon.

image.jpeg

Detail from Tony's 'Discovery Bay' artwork -

image.jpeg

As I said, it's probably just me being reminded of this when I see that bridge section.
A railroad bridge over the exsisting water was a visual feature proposed for that area back when this project was being developed.
Models from the time show it had far more length then the small section shown here.

It's kind of nice that after all this time, that element eventually did make it's way into that area after all.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And now for the other fun reference to Tony that is 'hidden' along the redesigned trail -

Another luggage tag can be spotted when one passes below the makeshift train cargo pick up platform.
This cargo area can be seen better while passing by on the Disneyland Railroad, but the tag can be better seen from below on the walkway as my photo here shows.
image.jpeg

Regular readers of this thread should already be well familiar with 'Barnabus T. Bullion' of BTMR fame.
His portrait hangs on the wall behind the front window of the Panhandle Hotel up on Rainbow Ridge, purposely painted to remind one of a certain somebody who designed this Attraction.
Barnabus also starred in the Marvel comic series based on BTMR, again purposely drawn to resemble a certain Imagineer in appearence.

The character is a homage to Tony Baxter.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
On the lookout for unexpected surprises at 'Tony's Mountain'.

Who knows what awaits just around the rocky bend in the track...?
All a flutter, like the bats in the cave!

Walt Disney once said in 1965 -
"Anything can happen at Disneyland'.

Dang straight!
Uncle Walt knew what he was talking about....and I just found out that this is most certainly, undeniably TRUE.
ANYTHING can happen, even your most wildest imaginings in the wilderness.

So climb aboard, and hang on.
This is gonna be one amazing ride.
Yee haw..!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Before I begin telling the story of what took place during my most recent visit, I should share this as its related -

When I was there in 2017, this fabulous Maleficent teapot caught my eye on display within the tiny medevel shop behind Sleeping Beauty Castle.
I absolutely loved it, but the price tag caused me to hesitate.

At a later time, I eventually picked one up that was discounted elsewhere, and helped introduce it to a friend who thought a certain somebody might like one , too.

So this cool teapot of my second favorite dragon is now being appreciated on both coasts, by two big dragon 'fans' who dig its design.

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom