The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Continuing our story now.....

After admiring the neat 'changing paintings' in the booths lining the end of the wine stocked hallway, we walk on and enter the impressive Salon Nouveau.
It was here that the setting was to be for our most memorable meal.

Photo credit - ( unknown )

A view of the bar seating -

This 'jazz lounge' inspired Members only area features as it's centerpiece a spectacular looking bar.
Hand carved from wood, this area features it's own collection of 'magical' special effects that take place throughout the course of a visit.
'Ghosts' appear to play the real instruments displayed on the upper wall, flanking the shelves displaying the liquor bottles and glasses.
Tiny stylized models of jazz musicians on the top center shelf 'magically' come to life and their 'shadows' play.
The lighting is stunning, too, and changes from a deep blue to a moody purple to other hues gradually.
So impressive to see in person.
I was mesmerized with the large glowing orb.
This bar area reminded me of the '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' film for some reason....and i was liking what i was seeing!

This picture is one of the few i have seen that closely captures the true hue of the intense coloring of the light effects

The photos of this area do not do it justice, as it is visually beautiful in person seeing the lights and stained glass windows.
The ambiance of the place is terrific...and reminded me of the 'old' Original Club with the dark colors and carved wood.

Our hostess brought us into the lounge, and invited us to choose whichever table we wished.
I was in awe of the decor and the setting, so was a little distracted at that moment.
It was a lot to take in visually when we first walked into the room.

Tony snapped me back to attention when he asked me to choose the table.
I stood there looking around while he described all the options ( bars seating, central seating, couch seating, booth seating, etc.)
Lots of options, but i chose one of the four very cozy looking large plush booths that were lining one side of the area.
Large overstuffed 'chairs' these booths appeared, with a marble-styled table in the center.

A photo example, showing the booths along the left side wall -

Each of the four booths was also 'themed' to a film or Attraction related to New Orleans Square.
I had chosen the 'Princess & The Frog' one identified by a unique lily pad painting on display above the 'overstuffed chair' booth backing.
More about that later....

Once we settled on our table, our friendly server came over the say hello and introduce himself.
He was to be our personal butler of sorts for the next four hours, and has served my companions in the past.
He already knew what they were likely to order for drinks and was also aware of their favorite dishes.

After some friendly conversation, our server then laid out a trio of '33' logo emblazoned soft leather place mats and cardboard '33' drink coasters.
He then passed to each of us a embossed Salon Nouveau menu which featured various light fare and appetizers.

As is the standard at a restaurant, drinks were inquired about first.
Our server already knew what Tony and his associate liked, so now it was up to me to decide on what i might like to try.
My hosts were already aware of the fact that i don't drink ( never liked the taste of alcohol ) and that i would be interested in what their selection of non-alcoholic offerings consisted of.
Tony knew they had some options, and in a enthusiastic voice he said to our server - " Bring her the book..!"

'The Book'....?

Yes, this lounge had such a long list of drink options on it's menu that it had to be bound into a 'book'.
Behold, the official 'Hotel Marceline' Walt inspired 'Bar Manual' !

A closer look -

Photo credit - Dave Decaro

While my hosts were talking among themselves and our server awaiting my decision, i was turning the pages of this cool themed 'book' and feeling my eye muscles spasm as i tried to take it all in at once.
The drink names....the various exotic concoctions....the sheer variety!
It was a little overwhelming ( in a good way ) trying to focus on choosing something when i was so in awe of what was going on around me.

Someone who is a serious drinker could go absolutely crazy here with the selections.
For me, one page held some tantalizing non-alcoholic selections.
Hmmm...'Tropical Storm'....not quite strong enough to be a 'Hurricane', eh..?

Photo credit - ( unknown / Yelp )

I guess it was obvious i was having a difficult time trying to choose something from such a variety, so we were left some time to ourselves so i could think more about which one i would like to try.
All the choices on that page sounded interesting!

Tony decided that while i am thinking about what i might like to order for a drink, he would show me around the Club.
Our mutual friend thought this was a great idea, and in no time after just being seated a mere few minutes earlier, we were up and about with my kind host leading the way.
A 'Tony Baxter Tour of Club 33' for real!
*Awesomeness*
:)

Tony and his associate had such a enthusiastic desire to show me around.
I have heard comments in the past from Club Members about how many of them find that the greatest benefit of being a Member is being able to share the Club experience with others.
This was not a case of 'showing off' or 'bragging rights'.....no, this was a genuine desire by them both for me to see and experience these things with them.
They truly wanted me to see everything, and as we toured around we would visit certain areas and they would point out things of interest and relay a informative and entertaining story about it.

An example i am reminded of by looking at this photo of a cozy corner next to the bar -

Along with showing me the neat 'ghostly musicians' and instrument playing 'shadows' contained within the back wall of the bar, Tony also made it a point to show me the area above.

Most long term fans of the history of Disneyland and the original Club with recognize the remains of Walt's French Lift.
What Tony wanted to show me however was the paintings on the walls -
The large one features jazz musicians who appear and 'disappear' in and out of the painting throughout your visit.
These visable 'ghostly apparitions' float out of the frame and into the wall displays behind the main bar to 'play' the real instruments encased there.
It was a very neat effect to see....and the projections were almost 3D in appearance so the effect was quite convincing.

Another item he pointed out was the small original painting shown to the left, done by Dorthea Redmond.
She designed and painted various concepts for many areas of New Orleans Square in Disneyland, and many areas at Walt Disney World.
Look up her work online sometime.
A brief write up here -
https://d23.com/walt-disney-legend/dorothea-redmond/

The watercolor on the wall at the Club was lovely to see, as it was one of her original concept paintings.
You could tell it was the real thing, and the colors were lovely.
I believe it was a concept for one of the shop interiors in New Orleans Square.

Another neat item in just this one corner - the legendary microphones everyone has heard about that Walt had installed in the original Clubs' 'Trophy Room' to listen to Guests reactions to his 'talking' vulture.
They are mounted within the lighting fixtures shown in the photo above, the small black caps at the end of the centerpoints.
One is original, the other we learned from our server had been broken off some years ago.
He told us about how he took it upon himself to color a wine cork with a black permanent marker and place it in the hole where the original mic had been damaged!
So if you ever get to visit the lounge area, be sure to look up and see them!

Another item we visited together was a shapely wooden cabinet that was a recent addition to the lounge area.
Tony noticed it when we first were seated, and had asked our server about it.
He happily brought us all over to show us this new liquor cabinet, where one beheld a eye catching display of vintage liquors with astronomical price tags.
One bottle of a rare vintage from 1967 was over $3500.
All of us were stunned....'one can have a car,....of a bottle of liquor..!'
:hilarious:

Some other highlights of my personal tour was visiting the main dining area, Le Grand Salon.
This is the main dining room that most folks dine in when the visit they Club with a reservation -

The three of us stood at the entrance to this room, as i listened to them both talk about some of the features.
There were only a half dozen diners in there, and none of them seemed to notice us looking things over.

Pointing out various textiles, there was a little lamenting of the loss of the Original Club, as some design elements that had previously been there were missed.
Tony mapped out the room and the adjoining hallway for me, describing in detail what it was like before and where the old bar and fireplace used to be.
It was nice of him to spend some time explaining the placement of past elements to me so it could give me a clearer picture of what was there previously compared to what is there now.
Photographs can only do so much....

I had to agree on many of their thoughts, even though i never had the opportunity to visit the Club before the renovation.
It was clear to me however, even by just looking at photos through the years, that there was some cherished history that was lost when the Club was redesigned.
It seems today's 'Disney' has been slowly trying to erase the 'Walt' from 'The Walt Disney Company' in some respects.

After walking around the different areas inside the Club, Tony suggested our mutual friend show me the interiors in the restrooms.
She wanted me to see them as well, so off we went while he chatted with the Club Cast Members at the lobby desk.

The restrooms were ornate and fancy looking to my eyes.
I would have to say that my favorite features were the flower shaped lighting fixtures and this very flamboyant washroom sink shown below.
The ' 33' branded hand wipes were also pretty neat...and i was encouraged to take some with me.

A photo -

Photo credit ( unknown / Yelp )

So after my 'Grand Tour' of the Club, which sounds like it took an hour but in reality was only about 20 minutes, we returned to our table.

I had finally decided on my beverage, and it was the 'Tropical Storm'.
A fruity non-alcoholic concoction of passion fruit juice, pineapple juice, a dash of citrus, and a little spice.
Tony was inquisitive and he may well end up trying this himself the next time he visits the Club!
It was fruit-a-rooty fabulous.....!

Now that we had our drinks decided on, and i had been treated to a Grand Tour of the Club by my entertaining hosts, the time had come for us to settle in for some spirited conversation.
This is when things became even more memorable, as the topics we discussed and the relaxing atmosphere we were all enjoying together turned this into a true dream experience.
:inlove:

And then there was the food.....and more conversation.....and....well, stay tuned!

More to come.....!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Continuing our adventures at Club 33.....

At this point in the evening, it was about 4:30 and our freshly chosen drinks arrived.
As i was admiring the sight of my fruity concoction in it's tall glass, my hosts inquired with our server about ordering Dinner.

Our server informed them that the Club does not actually begin serving Dinner until 5:30, which meant we had about an hour before we could order from the main menu.
This was actually not a bad thing, as it was instead embraced as the perfect excuse to settle in and engage in a longer period of conversation.

Up until this point, i've only had my glorious 'three minutes' of live interaction with Tony at the D23 Expo, and this time it was going to be a completely different situation.
We actually joked about this later that evening...how i was 'shooed away' by the Expo staff tending the signing line that day after my 'three minute time limit' was up when it seemed Tony was interested in talking more with me.
Well, that night we talked about all sorts of things...with NO time limit!
It was fantastic.....and during just that first hour we not only enjoyed some great discussion, we also used the time to order some delectable pre-Dinner selections.

It was suggested that to pass the time, let's order some tea and desserts to aid in the settling in.
We were brought a wooden chest containing small glass bottles with stoppers in them, each a different sampling of tea flavors.
We all sat there going through the bottles like curious little children, uncorking a few and breathing in their very pleasant scents.
The mixed mountain berry tea selection smelled incredible, but i settled on a Jasmine tea while my hosts enjoyed a traditional favorite.

Shortly afterwards our tea came out in tiny silver pots and beautiful looking '33' embossed tea cups and saucers.
If these were for sale, i would probably purchase a set as the dish was lovely.
We had a most enjoyable time....and the desserts we had were as equally enjoyable.
Behold, the pecan mini bundt cake -

Photo credit - Joel Christopher Payne

Tea and cakes with Tony at the Club.....just the start of a great night.

The topics of conversation ranged from the general, to Disney related, to favorite films, to answers to questions, shared opinions in various matters, and overall just enjoying 'being in the moment'.
Just sitting there listening to the two of them talk back and forth was entertaining in itself.
Tony never disappoints when it comes to telling marvelous and insightful stories, and tonight was no different.
Except this time, instead of me listing to a taped interview of a video clip, i was seeing and hearing him tell them in person...sitting right next to me!
So yes, it was a 'uber-fan dream'.

After tea, we ordered some appetizers.
Our server had brought the Dinner menus over for us to look over in advance so as a courtesy he would then be able to put our order into the Kitchen before Dinner serving began.
So we had two menus we could order from, the Lounge menu and the full course Dinner selection menu.
Tony being the generous host that he is, let me know that i could choose anything i wished from either of the menus.
It was a kind gesture, and i honorable accepted.

I ended up having the Lafayette Salad and Kale Fritters.
Both were quite tasty.
A photo of the salad i found online, as again, i took very few photos of my own inside the Club.

A couple of hours had passed by now, and we are enjoying our meal and still engaging in our entertaining conversations.
I learned the answers to a couple of questions i have for years been curious about, and was elated to finally hear the truth from someone who would know first hand.
Those ranged from the REAL reason my favorite Attraction of all time closed, to a couple of other curiosities.
We also talked about my experiences with the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction back in the day when i still lived in Florida, which they both found to be of interest.

Dare i day it, but i felt like we shared a lot in common.
It was just one neat realization after another.

An example -
I confessed that back in the early 80s when the Attraction was new, i used to 'smuggle' my cassette tape recorder onto the ride with me in a small canvas tote bag to record the ride audio.
I SO wanted that music....and i would visit every once in a while with a different machine or try a different brand of tape to record various ride-through passes.
I still have those audio tapes to this day, and they are interesting to listen to as you can hear all the ambiant sound effects not present in 'clean tracks' from the actual ride audio recordings.

Also interesting is listening to the audience reactions during the ride...you can clearly hear their surprised and delighted reactions, especially at the end when your photograph was shown at the conclusion of the experience.
People today forget that back in 1983, this was a amazing display of 'magic' to see a picture of yourself enjoying a ride...and moments later be shown that image before you disembarked from your trip.

Fun Fact - Did you know it took five giant mainframe computers the size of refrigerators to capture, electronically process, and assign to each ride vehicle that passed by it's own correct 'photo' during that ride finale...?
Well, now you do....
;)

Anyway, after i confessed to this, Tony then admitted that HE did this as well back in the 60s at Disneyland for the then brand new 'Enchanted Tiki Room' !
He still has his tapes too, and i just thought that was pretty neat to learn.
There was so many other things that we talked about that i am still remembering bits and pieces of it all two weeks later.
Just a amazing four hours there, in the Club.

At the conclusion of our meal, we had 'second dessert' ( Tony's idea! ) which was just as nice as 'first dessert' we had with our opening tea.
The Club was serving this rather intriguing offering of tomato sorbet among other treats.
The suggestion of a tomato sorbet sounded so different and interesting that we both decided to try it.
It tasted like frozen tomato juice with a aftertaste of fresh herbs...basil I believe.
A acquired taste perhaps, but it is always fun to try out new things.
I was still tasting the flavor of the sorbet my mouth the next day...which was a good thing.
The lemongrass and mango sorbets were equally tasty.

As we were enjoying our desserts, i was asked what Attractions i might like to experience tonight.
Of course, i had to respond by saying that we needed to ride all the famous 'Baxterattractions' which prompted a chuckle from my hosts.
Tony then gently stipulated that he would rather not do 'Splash Mountain' ( aka 'Tony's River Run' ) as he didn't really want to get wet.
Sloshing around in soggy clothing for the rest of the evening is not a pleasant thing on a cool night, so it was totally understandable.

It actually was probably for the better, as i had been on 'Tony's River Run' two days prior to our meeting and the Show elements were in very sad looking condition.
Many figures were not working or in darkness due to so many light bulbs being burned out.
It was probably better he didn't see the current Show as it is....a bit depressing.
The worst i have seen it.

We talked about this when we were out walking around in the Park, as both of them were curious as to why i felt the Show elements were in such poor condition.
After a quick explanation of what i had seen a few days earlier, Tony explained the reasoning behind it to us both.

Before we left the Club however and began our fabulous REAL 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' that night....there were a couple of more memorable moments.

Before we left our table, Tony had asked me if i would like to take some photographs of the Club or of all of us together.
I admitted that the 'uber-fan' in me would love the opportunity to get some shots of all of us at the table, and perhaps even in front of the Lounge piano.
They happily obliged, asking our server to snap some photos of us together sitting in our booth after finishing dessert...but still working on our tea.

Here at last, one of my own photos !
Several were taken but this is probably the best from the Lounge -

More to come....!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

After a few pictures in our booth, we all went over to the piano in the Lounge and did a short impromptu photo session.

A cozy corner near the piano area -

There were a few snapshots taken, however due to the dark ambiance of the room they came out a bit blurred.

An example despite the blurriness.....wish this one came out clearer as it would have been a nice one!

We then all walked out into the main lobby, as Tony had asked me earlier if i would like to look over the Club 33 items that were for sale within the glass display cases on our way out.
I was hoping they still had the small Logo lapel pin, as readers here know i have a habit of collecting various pins.
This little golden treasure would make the perfect little souvenir of our amazing evening at the Club.
The three of us walked over and gazed into the cabinet, showcasing a array of various items.

A photo to set the scene, one of the two display cabinets shown on the far left -

Between the two cases, the variety of items included wine glasses, jewelry, a large pin lanyard, various pins, a paper weight, pens, watches, polo shirts, purses...you name it.
Tony's friend pointed out the charming X-mas ornament that looked like the front door of the original Club.
I spotted the small pin i was hoping for, so bought one right then and there.

While we were waiting for the Cast to retrieve my pin from a back room, a few more photos were snapped of Tony and me standing in the lobby.

The brighter lighting and lighter walls of this area i felt would help my camera capture some better images of us, so a few more pictures were taken.
They did indeed look much brighter.
A pair as examples -

A bit of brightness.....

As soon as the pictures were snapped, one of the Club Cast Members appeared with this beautiful '33' themed gift bag containing my small pin.
It was elegant looking...and it seemed liked things moved in slow motion as i stood there next to Tony and was handed this bag.
The small group of CMs in the lobby around us looked on.
A surreal moment.

A look at the beautiful bag, with '33' embossed tissue paper if you look closely...!

Here is a look at the small pin, which is now a treasured keepsake of this marvelous experience -

A even closer look -

After collecting my pin, the time had come to leave the Club and descend from above to walk down the Court of Angels steps.
Now it was time to begin our memorable evening in the Park, enjoying some famous Attractions in the company of my 'Grand Mentor'.

This photo captures the look of that descent rather well -

Photo credit - Rachel Marie

We are again greeted by the pair of nicely attired Club Cast Members tending the small entrance lobby desk downstairs.
After some friendly exchanges, one of them opens that large door yet again and we all step back outside into the bustling crowds streaming though the Park that evening.

Our spectacular experience within the walls of Club 33 was over, but our memorable experiences to take place within 'Baxterland' itself was JUST beginning!
Dreams come true at Disneyland, especially for Members of the 'Tony Baxter Fan Club' !

More to come....!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The story is not over yet, folks.
More to come when I have the opportunity to post more.

Have not even begun to talk about our experiences riding certain Attractions and our memorable chat when I presented him with his artwork in the 'alleyway' of Main Street.

So there is still lots more to be told.
Stay tuned....!

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Time to continue the story now.....
:happy:

After a amazing four hours at the Club, it was time to step out into the Park that evening and enjoy a few of the Attractions together.
It was about 8pm at that point, maybe a little after, and for a Sunday night the Park was pretty busy.

Of course, i wanted to ride ALL of Tony's famous 'Baxerattractions', sans 'Splash Mountain' ( by request..).....and we DID ride perhaps his most famous and one of my all time favorites.

But i am getting ahead of the story....

Let me first tell you about what we did after walking out of the Club door.....

Photo credit - The Walt Disney Company

Since we were already in New Orleans Square, and had a large handful of 'magic' Club Fast Pass tickets at our disposal, it was decided to first go over to The Haunted Mansion.
It was all decked out for it's annual 'Haunted Mansion Holiday' overlay and the lines that entire weekend had been insane since it had just opened for the season.
Like an hour+ insane.

Despite it having opened two days prior, i had yet to have had the opportunity to see this years' version until now due to the long wait times and scarcity of FastPass availability.

People were DYING to get FastPasses to the Mansion....literally......

Photo credit -( unknown)

One of the nice things however was that because of the demand to see the seasonal overlay for the Attraction, it warranted the opening of the FP machines which was a novelty for me.
I normally visit Disneyland during the 'non-peak' times when these are usually not being used and the area is closed.
This weekend however was a different story, so i was able to aquire some 'legacy' paper passes to this famous Attraction for my little collection and snap some photos of the lovely statues on display in that little alcove.

A sampling of said ornate statuary -

Griffin sculpture -

Lion head urn -

Faun statue -

Okay, back to our tale.....

With our 'magic' Club FastPasses, we entered the FP line and moved up to the pillars near the entrance.
We were given a neat paper pass with 'Shock' on it, instructing us to do so.
Once we were led into the pre-show area, the real magic began....

I have to say that it was absolutely wonderful to have the opportunity to observe Tony's reactions to experiencing this Attraction.
He was like a ten year old boy again, you could see it in his eyes as the pre-show played out in the Stretching Room.
I think he likes the seasonal overlay, as it freshens up the ol' house a bit. A change of pace can be good.

I had told him previously about the new Animatronic figure of Sally that was appearing this year, which sparked his interest.
He was looking forward to seeing it and as we walked down the Portrait Hall he noticed the changing portrait featuring her.
It has been there for a few years, but it seemed particularly well suited now since she actually appears in the Attraction!

So here it hit me - i am about to ride 'The Haunted Mansion' with Tony Baxter.
Yes.
NOW.
Whoa....mind blown ( again...)
:jawdrop:

Now for the fun part -
All three of us squeezed ourselves into one Doombuggie, which was quite a feat in itself.
We all fit after some shifting around, which is not always a easy thing to accomplish with three adults !

Photo credit - ( HauntedMansionWiki.com )

Tony sat by my side as we traversed the scenes, with our mutual friend on my other side.
Talk about being right in the middle of the fun.....we had a absolute BLAST going through the Mansion together!
Three minutes+ of pure fun.

The best part of this experience was listening to Tony's random commentary as we rode through the different areas of the Mansion.
Absolutely priceless.
It was a rare glimpse into the thought processes of this creative individual.
He would comment on different things, from the speed of the Doombuggies in certain areas, to the figures and scenes themselves.
He wasn't trying to 'narrate' the Attraction, these were just random observations one would do with friends when experiencing something together.
It was terrific...!

One of his favorite elements as we went along were these singing, carnivorous plants shown in the funeral scene -

Photo credit - Dave Decaro

When we passed through the Attic , i pointed out the dollhouse of Phantom Manor, which he made a remark about noting that it does indeed look like a small model of it.
Regular readers of this thread may recall the story i told during my last venture where a Mansion Butler informed me that dollhouses of each of the different 'Mansions' appear in the Attic scenes of all the different versions of the Attraction around the world.

The Hatbox Ghost looked terrific....and we all enjoyed seeing the new Sally figure in the graveyard scene.
Oh what fun it was to ride....through the Mansion that night...!

All too soon, it was time to depart our Doombuggie.
After carefully prying ourselves apart from ourselves and the vehicle, the three of us all stepped out onto the moving 'carpet' and departed the festively fun Mansion in high 'spirits'.
What a great experience together!

After our jaunt through 'regions beyond', it was time to gather ourselves together and head over to the 'Wildest Ride In The Wilderness'.

Yes friends, 'Tony's Mountain' ( aka 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' ) !!
With the creator himself.
YES!!!!!

YEE - Haw!

:joyfull:

More to come !

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I like it for the alternative experience it is, but have always felt it starts 'too early' in the season.
It's probably just because I am seeing it 'too early' myself...always in September when it first opens.
If I was experiencing it closer to the actual holidays I would likely feel differently.

I realize that the subject matter, 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' is a purposely themed mix of both Halloween and the Holidays, but it seems to me it leans too far into the 'Christmas' direction then the 'Halloween' direction.
So it seems more 'Christmas' orientated, and that's not really something I want to be looking at in Sept / October.
:depressed:

If there is any time of the year people want to experience the original 'Haunted Mansion', it is during the Halloween season!
Seeing candy canes, X-mas trees, and Sandy Claws in September and October is not overly appealing to me.
Save that jazz for November, I've always felt.

It's a personal thing if guess.
I love Halloween and can 'get into it' year round.
I rarely 'get into' X-mas until December hits.

Of course, NOW my perception of the overlay has changed a bit after experiencing it with my recent Doombuggie partners....
;)

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

And now friends, we yonder over to a new frontier of fun.......

'Tony's Mountain' awaits !

Time to 'get behind the controls' of one of my favorite Baxterattractions of all time...let's play with the switches and see what happens!

"Two trains, two tracks....yee haw...!"

So friends, what can i say about my memorable 'Magical Moment' riding with Tony Baxter on his famous 'first' Attraction..?
All the words that could possibly describe it pale in comparison to what it was actually like for this Member of the 'Tony Baxter Fan Club'.
I'm sure you can all well imagine what a cool experience it was and a real 'geek out' fan moment it was for me.

I think Tony had a good time too, although being forced to see the current view from the 2nd lift hill ( 'Star Wars' land..) may have put a damper on things...
All three of us shared the same opinion regarding that project and it's placement within the Park.
Nuf' said.
:grumpy:

What i WILL say is that it was a real 'dream come true moment' to ride Big Thunder with it's creator....as i have always imagined how cool it would be if one day, i could have the opportunity to ride one of my favorite Attractions with the one who made it all happen.
Well, that evening the dream came true and it was absolutely a AWESOME time ...for me at least, and for Tony too, but not so much for our poor mutual friend!

More about that later on....but for now let me tell a couple of interesting tales related to this Attraction that i learned that night.
Come take a ride on 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' with us !

As we walked over from New Orleans Square, we all headed over to 'Tony's Mountain'.
I was thrilled that after all these years, my little 'fan fantasy' was about to come true.
As there was only a short wait time, we all stood in the regular Stand By line...pocketing our 'magic' Club FastPasses.

As we traversed the queue, Tony pointed out the stone walls lining the area and began to tell the story about the company that originally sold them those rocks back in the day when the Attraction was being built.
An example of the stone walls, as shown near the stairs to the train loading platform -

These various sized rocks that decorate the area around Big Thunder Mountain were purchased from a mining company and contain gold ore.
At the time that they were purchased in the late 1970s, the cost of gold was so low that it was not worth the trouble of getting the little flecks or ore out of the stones.
So the mining company had no second thoughts about selling off a few truckloads of 'worthless rubble' to the WED folks for decorating their new mine train inspired Attraction.

A few years later after the Attraction had been open for a while, this same company comes a' calling back to Disney inquiring about that 'worthless 'rubble'.
It turns out the value of gold had increased enough in the years that followed, so now it was VERY worthwhile to spend the time and money to break apart all of those gold ore rocks.
They wanted to buy em' all back....but of course by now, those rocks were all being used as part of the Attractions' queue walls!

So what was Disney's response to all of this...?

Well, they turned em' down....told them to hightail it outta town!

Disney didn't feel it was worth the time, expense, and 'down time' involved to close the Attraction to remove the gold ore stones and sell them back to the company.
Too much trouble, and they liked the way those rocks looked in their mining complex at Disneyland.
So the stone walls stayed put....and are there to this day....full of real gold ore.

Think of that the next time you walk down that queue line!
Yee Haw!

The stories didn't stop there....and i just love hearing Tony tell them !
Here is another fun observation he made, this time as we were traversing the stairs to the train loading platform -

He looked down upon the stone stairs and commented on how he could recall the time when these were first being installed back in the late 70s.
At the time, he remembers commenting that he didn't think these would last...and then chuckled to himself when he realized it's 37 years later and they are still there going strong!
He never thought those stone stairs would have lasted all those years.

Here is a pic of the stairs, just for fun.
You should have seen the looks on Guests faces when they saw this crazy chick taking flash photos of plain ol' stone stairs at Disneyland.
I'm used to it....

After our learning experience in the queue, it was time to board our train !
Tony requested Row #15, just like i always do ( and have recommended to readers here many times ) !
Our mutual friend sat in front of us, in Row #14.

So there i was, sitting in the back mine car with a Disney Legend.
The Disney Legend who created this Attraction.
Another 'my mind is blown' moment!
:jawdrop:

The ride begins, and we whirl into the bat cave.
I had mentioned to Tony earlier that sadly the bats are not working too well, their wings no longer flapping.
Up, up, up the first lift within the tribute to 'Rainbow Caverns' and off we went on the 'Wildest Ride In Baxterland'..!

What was so memorable about this experience on 'Big Thunder Mountain' with Tony was listening to his random comments as we whirled around.
While just about everyone else in the train was screaming their heads off, he was calmly sitting there commenting on various things.
I am sure he had been on this Attraction so many times now it's a commonplace experience, but it was neat none the less.

As we begin to climb the 2nd lift hill in the dark, Tony grumbles humorously commenting on how we are now going to have to be subjected to seeing 'Star Wars' land from the top of the lift hill.
I feel exactly the same way whenever i get up there and see the naked area of treeless terrain.
It's depressing. 'Discovery Bay' should be there, which i had told him earlier.

To cheer him up, i tell him he needs to look at other things around us as we are slowly climbing up to help distract our vision.
I point out the engine in the mining tower, chugging away....then point to the left at that beautiful lit Mountain and remind him 'this is where it all began for you, Tony!'
It turns into a rather nice poignant moment, with a few further comments regarding that famous beginning to his career as a Attraction designer all those years ago.

To illustrate the reflective tone, here is one of Tony's charming watercolor paintings of his original vision for 'Big Thunder Mountain'.
This scene eventually made it's way to the Walt Disney World version of the Attraction, the first one designed but the second version built!

By now, we are whizzing through the darkness of the mine tunnel landscape and approach the 3rd lift hill.
As we exit, he asks me if i have been to ( Disneyland ) Paris, and as we whip around the last few curves he enthusiastically describes how the Paris version of 'Big Thunder' ends.
Paris' version is his favorite, so it was fun to hear him talk about the differences between the two during that last run post-3rd lift hill.
Someday, i would like to experience Disneyland Paris and it's version of 'Tony's Mountain'.

As we splashdown in Dinosaur Gap, we pass by the famous 'Panhandle Hotel' that i am always trying to get a room from when i'm in town.
Even this visit i tried, but dang those prospectors....by the time i get into town there are never any rooms left !

One of these days.....

Inside the Panhandle is the famous portrait of a mister Barnabas T. Bullion, the villainous looking character painted as a 'tribute' to Tony Baxter.
I've always had mixed feeling about this painting, thinking it was a bit odd to paint a tribute to Tony as a villian in the role of a ruthless gold baron.
That, and the painting always looked more like Donald Sutherland to my eyes then Mr. Baxter.

As we passed by the Panhandle Hotel in our train car, Tony commented on how his picture was in there.
I then noted that it is indeed, but they painted him to look like a villain.
'You are NO villain, Tony'.....to which he commented that the character was originally slated to be, but changed at the last minute.

The Marvel folks who were producing the comic book series based on 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' originally planned on Barnabas to be just that..the villain of the story.
That was thankfully changed after a rethink, which i personally find a great relief.

What kind of a 'tribute' is it to cast the man you are supposed to be honoring with this gesture in the first place as a loathsome character?
Never sat right with me, but that is probably just my 'Baxter Bias' kicking in.
I'm glad Marvel changed their minds.

After our memorable train ride through the Mountain and all around it, we had reached the end of our journey and were back at the loading platform.
We departed, admiring the scenery .....

After all of that excitement, once we were back on the main walkway in Frontierland it was time for a restroom stop.
All the tea we drank at the Club was having it's effect and a little break was needed.

That was not the only thing effecting us.....
Our mutual friend was suddenly not feeling all that well after taking that night time wild ride into the wilderness.
She had mentioned earlier in the evening when we were discussing what Attractions we would like to ride that 'Star Tours' was something she was not able to do as the motion simulation really messed with her head in a bad way.
Apparently, 'Big Thunder' was effecting her in a unexpected, similar way after the wild ride together so she needed a pit stop too.

We all started over to Adventureland for our next planned adventure at 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' ( aka 'Indiana Jones Adventure' ), with a quick stop in between.

On our way to Adventureland, we passed by 'Ray's Tree' ( aka 'The Halloween Tree') which is located there in Frontierland during the Halloween season.
We stopped for a short time to admire it, all lit up beautifully with the festive jack-o-lanterns and other decorations in it's tall branches.

Photo credit - Disney

The plaque dedication seen in front of the tree -

Photo credit - D23

I knew Tony had some involvement in getting this 'Halloween Tree' into Disneyland, as the fulfillment of a wish for author Ray Bradbury.
He briefly told the tale about his involvement and how it was a little project they pretty much did on their own with the Parks permission.
Ray was thrilled at the gesture.

This photo below shows the two of them at the lighting ceremony for the tree that took place on October 31st 2017.
Here Ray had the honor of lighting his special themed tree in Frontierland, as Tony looked on.

It has been put up every season since -

Tony noted as we stood there admiring the tree decor that there was supposed to be a Cast Member located next to the tree in the evenings to tell Guests the story about it that Ray originally wrote.
I'm not sure if we just missed the CM at that time because they were on a break, or there was just no one about that night, but it was a observation taken note of.

What was interesting is that on the following two nights i was in the Park, a Cast Member was indeed there doing just what Tony remarked was supposed to be happening.
Whether or not he said something to someone later, or it was all just a coincidence...i will never really know the answer to.
But i had to smile when i passed by and saw the CM telling the story to a few Guests listening intently.

Now it was time for our adventure in 'Adventureland'.....so off we went to explore the dense jungles, traverse the mysterious Temples, and endure stampedes of wild animals ( otherwise known as 'Park Guests'...)
;)

More to come ...!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
It was very thrilling, indeed!
All the times I have sat in that same seat over the years and thought about him and his career as I raced around those train tracks.
To then actually have it happen....yes, it was such a great moment!

Now of course every time I ride and sit back there I will be remembering the night we rode the rails of 'Big Thunder Mountain' together!

Paris' version of the Attraction looks spectacular.
The way it is designed, and the way the track actually goes under the river and back again is just so darn cool.
Tony was explaining the layout to me as we rode along ...which in itself was pretty darn cool!

Another aspect about the Mountain complex in Paris that I like is it finally gets to be the centerpiece of a themed land instead of just being a diversion squeezed in where room allowed.
I love how all of Frontierland Attractions at Disneyland Paris are tied into the same 'story' being told in that area.
Just a neat way of making it similar, yet very different from a design and Show standpoint.

Some day I hope to be able to go over there and experience it for myself.
One of these days.....

Photo credit - Steve Chapman

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And now, to continue our tale.....

Now where did i leave off...?
Oh yes...Adventureland....how could i forget!

After viewing The Halloween Tree, we continued on to our destination in Adventureland.
A quick pit stop at the restrooms and the adventures could continue after our thrilling ride on 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad'.
Our mutual friend was not feeling too good after spinning around and up and down through the mining complex.
As we awaited her return, Tony and i enjoyed some discussion together.

Leaning against the bamboo railing that lines the walkway along the main path past the Tiki Juice Bar, the two of stood there under the tiki torches and enjoyed a insightful and entertaining 20 minute discussion that went to the heart of the matter as far as today's Park experience goes.
Tony made some marvelous observations and brought up some very valid points regarding the experience today and in yesteryears.
It was a memorable little quiet moment within our active evening in the Park.

I love listening to this man talk about such things, as he totally GETS IT.
Why he is not running the creative direction of this Company i do not know, and if i did the reasons why he is not would probably make me a bit angry.
He really SHOULD be.

As we were talking among ourselves, we both started to worry about our mutual friend.
It seemed to be taking some time to reunite, but it turned out she had gone over to wait for us at the entrance to 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' ( aka 'Indiana Jones Adventure' ).
So we strode over there to meet up once more, and it was starting to sink in that i was about to ride this famous Baxterattraction with one of it's primary creators.
Another dream about to come true...!

Photo credit - Disney

So close....and yet.......

That hope of riding together was dashed however once we arrived at the entrance - The Attraction was temporarily down due to some technical issues.
Darn it..!!
We looked at each other wondering what we should do next....stay and wait for it to reopen...or....

At this point our mutual friend was starting to express some real concern for her unwellness.
She had already decided to sit this one out, and not ride with us in the Temple due to the rough motions of Troop Transports.
She would sit and wait for us while we enjoyed it, but now that the Attraction was closed other options were being contemplated.

I felt really bad that she was not feeling all that well....and Tony was concerned as well.
Such a shame, as she was SO excited about bringing us together that night and was having a great time until her ride on 'Big Thunder Mountain'.
Now it looked like our evening in the Park riding Attractions was about to become cut short.
What to do....?

A slight fear gripped me that this might be the end of our evenings fun.
:oops:

Leave it to my favorite 'idea guy' to come up with the perfect suggestion -
He suggested we ride something we can all enjoy together that would not aggravate her motion sickness.

The Attraction?

'Pirates of The Caribbean'.....yeah !!

Photo credit - Disney

So off we went for high seas adventure...back in New Orleans Square!

As we walked into the queue, Tony started telling me about his involvement in the redesign of this area.
Some years ago WDI was tasked with re-designing the entrance to the Attraction to better handle crowd control and the long lines that would form outside.
To help alleviate the grid lock, or overpass 'bridge' was built to help with crowd flow going between lands.
Additionally, a outside queuing area was designed to hold the long line in a contained way and keep it off of the main walkways.

We walked through most of it with Tony pointing out various things, including the ex-Disney Gallery he was involved in creating back when it was still located above the Attraction.
Today, it is the little used 'Disneyland Dream Suite'...but some years ago it was a wonderful 'museum' of Park memorabilia, concept artwork, and models.

Once we entered inside the Show building, we made our way up the 'dock' ramp to the loading area to board our boat.
It was here Tony nearly hit his head on the decorative brick ceiling supports in this area...making him a little startled.
He is a tall man, but noted that of all the years he has entered this Attraction this has never happened before.
It made him think they had recently raised that area on your way up to the loading 'dock'.
We all had a bit of a chuckle about it all....

Once in our boat, the real fun began.....another fantastic ride experience with Tony making random comments and informative commentary.
Again, he was not trying to 'narrate' the Attraction....he was just doing what anyone would do with friends and make random observations.
Before we even rolled off the belt and into the calm waters of the bayou he was filling my mind with marvelous insights.

Halfway through the bayou opening scene, i was already anticipating awesomeness.
And Tony, as always, delivered.

I casually commented on how every time i ride this Attraction, i think of his famous story about back when he was a Cast Member and sneaked into the building during his lunch break to get a peek of it being built.
This is when he first met his future mentor Claude Coats, who promptly spotted young Tony peering around and invited him down to where he could get a much better look at everything.
What a thrill it must have been for such a big fan ....!

Here is a old photo showing 'Pirates' under construction.
This may have been a similar scene to what he saw all those years ago.....after sneaking in to get a peek!

Photo credit - Disney

Photo of Claude Coats ( right ) within the 'Pirates' construction site -

Photo credit - WDI

It's a great story, and Tony has told it many times in various interviews and convention appearances.
It means a lot to him, and when i brought it up he had a mischievous little twinkle in his eye.
He then told me...."oh yeah, the door i used to sneak in is still here..!"

WHAT...!!??

NO WAY !!

We were still floating through the calmness of the bayou at this point mind you....so i had to keep my 'geeking out' factor in check.
Oh my gosh.....Tony is going to show me where the door is that he used to sneak into the Attraction all those years ago...and it's STILL HERE!
Okay, call me a serious uber-geek fan...but i don't care.
THAT Is freaking cool!

So on we went.....

I have to say, the first drop in the dark was the first time i had not been nervous ( as readers' may know, it took years for me to get over fears of 'drops' ).
With Tony Baxter sitting by your side, you can do anything !
;)

On we sailed ...and it was really cool to be able to experience this pinnacle of classic WED Attraction design together.
Tony seemed to like the new projection additions to the fort battle scene...the new clouds over the moon, especially.

I was still internally 'geeking out' about that door....and it's legendary story connected to it.
Eventually, we came into the scene where it was located and Tony pointed it out.
Mind blow....yet again.
Now, every time i ride in the future i will be looking over and seeing that door and remembering that great story.
Not to mention, that great night when he showed me where it was !

So we had high adventure on the high seas indeed....and when we came 'up the waterfall' Tony brought another observation to my attention.
Ever notice those somewhat bright spotlights mounted on the top of the 'southern mansion' to your left as you crest the final exit lift..?
They are there for a purpose - to temporarily 'blind' your eyes from seeing the darker ceiling above you.
It is a brilliant example of the thought process behind such subtle details that truly work magic.
Without those bright lights shining in your eyes, when you crested the lift all you would be seeing is air vents in the ceiling.
With the lights however, it looks like a endless night sky.
Genius.

I LOVE IT when he points stuff like this out and explains the reasoning behind it...and the evening was full of those moments.
Unfortunately, it ended a little sooner then any of us were expecting.....

After our voyage, we departed the Attraction and it was clear our mutual friend was still not feeling all that right.
The decision was made to call it a night and head for Main Street to collect the art items i had brought for them both.
She felt really bad, and kept apologizing as she felt her sudden illness was ruining our evening together.
I kept assuring her that was not the case, and sometimes things happen that are just beyond your control.
No apologies needed...stuff happens.

If she had not become ill, i am certain we would have stayed in the Park together until closing..and then some.
But our time was drawing to a close, and despite wanting to keep things going that night i knew it was time to let them go.

Although it seemed our evening was coming to a end...it STILL had some delightful surprises in store for us all !
Main Street USA held perhaps the most memorable moments of the entire evening....in a little alleyway where artwork was presented with fireworks going off overhead.
More on that next..!

More to come...!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And so we have reached 'Act III' in this telling of the tale.

That day was like a grand spectacle...a grand theatrical play...with a 'Act I' at the Club, 'Act II' in the Park enjoying the Attractions, and now we come to 'Act III'.
The evening wrapped up on Main Street USA which in itself invoked some symbolic meaning......
As fans well know, it was here Tony began his journey working for Disney all those years ago.

After enjoying our adventure on the high seas, the time had come to collect the art canvas prints i had stashed in a locker at the Park.
But first, we had to squeeze ourselves by the crowds lined up to watch the nightly fireworks presentation.

As we were walking through the masses at the crosswalk near Casey's Corner, Tony expressed a little dissapointment that we were going to miss seeing the fireworks.
His ten-year-old self was coming out again to play, and like a little kid he was lamenting that we were going to miss them as we hurried over to the lockers.

I think he really wanted to see them...and as 'Fantasy In The Sky' started exploding above us he kept turning around to see the view.
Concluding an evening by watching Uncle Walt's 'kiss goodnight' to his Guests in the Park is a nice tradition.

Photo credit - Disney

I totally would have stood there and watched the four minute Show with him by my side...another memorable moment for this fan for sure, but we both knew our mutual friend needed to leave ASAP due to her increasing illness.
Thus why we didn't stop to view them and kept heading to the locker area in a beeline.

So we watched as we walked swiftly through the crowd....and ended up in the little 'alleyway' off of Main Street that led to the lockers.

Photo credit - unknown

As i rushed in to collect my items, Tony and our friend waited outside seated at one of the 'ice cream parlor' styled metal table and chair settings located just outside the locker room.
There are several of these table sets lining this 'alleyway' where the flowers and a snack cart are located.
The fireworks were still shooting off in the sky beyond us, and the chairs strewn about enabled our mutual friend to have a seat and settle a little.

Meanwhile, i am in the locker area attempting to open my locker containing the precious cargo.
A cold sweat broke over my forehead as the pressure was on to deliver.
I had been worried since i first placed the items inside that i might have problems getting them back out again.
These thoughts haunted me a bit in the days leading up to our meeting.
Carefully i punched in '1979'....holding my breath....hoping there would be no 'technical issues'....

Just then, i hear a bright familiar voice ask if i need any help....and there is Tony Baxter walking towards me past the corridor lined with lockers with a smile on his face.
Tony Baxter, in the Main Street locker room.
A surreal moment....and his kind offer to help was quite welcome and appreciated.

I soon have the door open, and collect the art items i had wrapped in a large plain plastic bag.
Inside were two medium sized canvas prints of my most recent art design that i had specially made for the three of us.
I was so relieved when these came back from the print shop and were the hoped for quality.
Expensive to have done, but i wanted the best i could give.
A mere 'color copy' in a frame was not good enough in my opinion.

A photo of two of the three canvas prints made.
These are about 11 X 14 in size, for a size reference -

Both of us walk back outside and take a seat at the table there in the 'alleyway'....and as the fireworks climax to the tune of 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah' ( how thematically appropriate..!) i present the two prints to my hosts.
They loved them...and the booklets of some more of my related art designs i had also brought along.

A photo example of said 'alleyway' .....imagine this same scene in the evening, and the table and chairs shown located further to the right hand side of this picture.
That would be how the setting appeared that evening -

So there we sat....at the table in the 'alleyway'....for what seemed like another hour or so.
They both looked over the art, and Tony again said how impressed and delighted he was with everything.
It blows my mind to hear him say that, as this man has seen it all and i never imagined that my 'little doodles' would make that much of an impression.
But they did, and he loved them all.

The setting for all of this was perfect.
Once the fireworks ended, the crowds dispersed and we had a fairly nice spot to relax and chat amongst ourselves once more.
The somewhat quiet setting allowed for a deeper examination of the artwork selection i had given, and it was lovely to sit there and listen to him comment on various things related to the pictures in front of him.

Pieces i had done some years ago all had stories behind them, and it was a nice series of moments sitting there with him sharing those and learning some further insights into his history.
A learned later that our time there on Main Street was one of the highlights of the evening, and i have to agree....it was indeed quite special.
It was even a pleasant experience for our mutual friend, who was now feeling a little better since we had sat there for some time.

Part of me really wished i had thought of snapping another photo of us together with the art prints at that table....but it never crossed my mind amidst the magical moment.
It might have been for the better, as i had already subjected poor Tony to enough flashbulb pops when we held our impromptu photo session at the Club.

Instead, i had brought along some blank pieces of cardstock paper in the hopes of perhaps enticing him to draw a picture for me.
At one point i produced a page and asked if he would 'do something' with it...anything he cared to do.

Tony took the page and drew out his fine line pen.
I had brought a brand new black 'Sharpie' marker with me, but it slipped out of my back pocket during the course of the evening and was lost.
Tony blamed the loss on 'Big Thunder Mountain'.....ha ha...!

He takes his pen and writes some personal sentiments on the paper, signing his name and dating the page.
Our mutual friend suggests he draws me a picture too, but Tony feels it would crowd the page too much.
There really isn't enough room at this point....so that is when i pulled out the second piece of paper.
Our mutual friends' face lights up in delight, and Tony takes the page and proceeds to draw this really neat picture of 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' right before our eyes.

He spent his time on it, commenting it had been a long time since he has drawn his Mountain.
This made it all the more special, and when he was done it looked great!
A original drawing from the man himself....woweee!!!
What a beautiful treasure.
Mind blown, yet again.
:geek:

By this point, it must have been about an hour or more we had sat there in the 'alleyway' of Main Street enjoying each others company.
After the completion of Tony's fine drawing, it was time to gracefully close the evening.
Our mutual friend needed rest, and we all knew as much as we were enjoying ourselves we needed to call it a night.

As the time had come for them to depart, Tony passed me his stack of 'magic' Club 33 FastPass tickets telling me to use these even though there was only about an hour left ( the park closed around 9 that evening ).
I took the large ream of them, carefully folded up to fit in his shirt pocket, and placed them into my ornate Club 33 gift bag.

We said our pleasant parting words, i hugged them both, and then stood back and watched in a subdued state as the two of them walked away ....carrying my artwork down Main Street.....past his Window.....and disappear into the mingling crowds heading towards the main gate to exit.

Then, they were gone.

Six+ hours we were together, and now after experiencing all of that marvelous time with them both i was on my own in the Park for another hour or so.
My mind was so utterly blown from all that had taken place ( including our sweet parting ) that all i could do was sit on a bench in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle and just zone out.

Photo credit - Disney

So there i sat...dressed in my Club attire, clutching my little '33' gift bag containing that lovely pin, Tony's 'magic' FastPass tickets, and his original drawing and hand written sentiments carefully rolled up.

I really needed some time to just sit and reminisce about what had just taken place.
It was like the blur of a dream....hitting you in a powerful, unexpected way.

Thank the Tiki Gods that Disneyland still has a lot of benches in the Park.
I really needed to sit for a little while after this amazing experience.

After gathering myself together, i wandered over to 'Star Tours' as it was one of the Baxterattractions we didn't get to experience together that night.
It was so late in the evening, that there was not much of a wait...so i held on to the 'magic' Pass and just walked in.

After the first ride, our friendly loading CM announced over the mic that no one was waitin to board our Star Speeder so if we wanted to, we could stay seated and just ride again!
Most of the folks in the Speeder with me stayed put....and it was cool to just be cycled through another ride experience ( with different scenes...yay! ).

Photo credit - Disney

The rest of the night...i don't recall if i did anything else.
Might have taken a spin on the Astro Orbitor, as it is another Attraction i associate with Tony.
Yes, i think i did.....the last ride of the night i believe.

Flying high in a rocket, while already flying high emotionally.
A nice way to end a very eventful day !

Photo credit - Disney

As i headed out of the Park and took the long walk back to my off-site hotel room, i was in a dazed state.
I could still taste the tomato sorbet we had for dessert at the Club, and the photos that were snapped of us all together looked like they had for the most part come out nice.

I didn't sleep much that night....but my oh my what a wonderful day.
The memories of which will last a lifetime.

A spectacular finale to this chapter of fantastic adventures in that most magical of places, 'Baxterland' !

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom