The end for refillable mugs?

Fractal514

I think there's more danger from the coke evaporating from all the hot air on this thread.

But lets hunt down the coke criminals in their Walmart clothing, I bet they take more than the regulation two trips to the buffet too.

That's a great tactic there. You make it sound like we're mocking the people who are breaking the rules, making us look like bad guys and creating sympathy for the person who's actually creating the problem.

I don't care where people buy there clothes, I am not concerned with Disney running out of Coke, I've never heard of a regulation two trips policy.

But I was raised to follow the rules, and I try to do so, and it really gets on my nerves when other people blatantly disregard those rules. Now, it's one thing to circumnavigate the rules for important things, but Coke products just aren't that vital to existence, so to me, people that break this rule are really doing so on something trivial. This isn't stealing a loaf of bread to feed a child. This is people from all walks of life saying to everyone else, yeah, I know what the rules are, but I don't care and I'm going to do whatever I want.

If you want to discuss this further, we can, but don't try to make this about something other than what it is. Petty theft.

Phonedave

Its a lot less than $.15 per drink. Your local McDonalds fills a fountain drink with all costs for less than $.10. Disney's cost is lower than that.

Again, it's not really about the cost of the soda. It is about the lost profits from either selling a new mug, or from selling normal priced sodas.

Soda sales are not looked at in a vaccum, it is part of the overal profi/loss of whatever place you are eating in.

Someone takes a look and says that the avearge guest drinks 50 cents worth or product per day (just guessing for the sake of an example). Now if that person is there for 6 days, that $3.00. if they get a mug for $13.00, thats a $10 profit. If they buy cups, maybe it's a $20.00 profits.

The restaruant manager looks at those numbers and decides they are going to make $10 or $20 per guest per visit. That profit figure gets factored into the operating costs and bottom P&L of the entire food court. When someone re-uses a mug (or uses a 'unauthorized' container) they my only be 'stealing' 10 cents of soda, but they are also not paying that $10 or $20 profit that was factored in. That is where installing the RFID becomes profitable.

I just stick my head under the fountain anyway - I assume thats good. I got a lifetime refill on my head back in 92.

-dave

Fractal514

Phonedave is absolutely correct. The logical leap that thieves make is that they justify their actions by telling themselves that "The Big Companies" can afford to lose this little bit of Soda, or that DVD, or this Television, or the disability check (even though the person is healthy). These might be on different scales, but it all boils down to the same thing, theft.

BTW, we can debate all day long how much it costs Disney to sell a cup of soda, that doesn't matter. When arrested for theft, the amount that matters in determining the level of theft is the retail cost, not the manufacturers cost.

fosse76

Some of you people really are ridiculous. The concentrate for 70 percent of Coca-Cola’s 1.5 billion drinks served each day originates in Ireland, where enough concentrate for 50,000 Cokes costs $2.60—including labor. The concentrate’s main ingredient? Caramel. That means that one penny buys enough syrup to make nearly 200 glasses of Coke! A restaurant (or really, any business that uses soda fountains) has a slightly higher cost than that (Coke isn't going to sell it to them at cost, after all). It costs 9 cents for a 12-oz soda from the fountain. Make no mistake, even with the rampant "stealing", it is virtually impossible for Disney not to profit from soda. It's practically pure profit. So you can argue theft and blah blah blah all you want, but let's not pretend Disney is losing money from re-use of the mugs. If people want to re-fill mugs they paid for then fine (to break even on the mug, you would need about 144 refills...less if you factor the actual cost of the mug itself). Disney should most definitel crack down on people filling up bottles and non-Disney mugs.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That's a great tactic there. You make it sound like we're mocking the people who are breaking the rules, making us look like bad guys and creating sympathy for the person who's actually creating the problem.

I don't care where people buy there clothes, I am not concerned with Disney running out of Coke, I've never heard of a regulation two trips policy.

But I was raised to follow the rules, and I try to do so, and it really gets on my nerves when other people blatantly disregard those rules. Now, it's one thing to circumnavigate the rules for important things, but Coke products just aren't that vital to existence, so to me, people that break this rule are really doing so on something trivial. This isn't stealing a loaf of bread to feed a child. This is people from all walks of life saying to everyone else, yeah, I know what the rules are, but I don't care and I'm going to do whatever I want.

If you want to discuss this further, we can, but don't try to make this about something other than what it is. Petty theft.

You dont take the toiletries do you? But to be honest you do sound a little up yourself. I was raised to question rules, but still know the difference of right from wrong. I however am happy to post in threads with the self proclaimed moral guardians of the internet.

And to be honest you could have just used the word petty, Id have understood your post.

PurpleDragon

Again I don't think the bulk of the issue is with people using old resort mugs to get their drinks. Its the people using these items to get their drinks:

yhst-80121207346754_2105_13204443
6a00e54fae153788330120a.jpg
Water_Bottle.jpg
feb_0187.jpg
317PXAath2L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

drop-plastic-bottle-collect.jpg

These types of containers are a much more clear and obvious violation of the rules and I think are the target of Disney's efforts. If you're using a resort mug at least you actually paid for a mug to use at the resort, the specifics of the terms of use of that mug are a lot less of a concern than Billy-Bob using his old QT Big Gulp cup to get some soda when he clearly did not spend any money to justify him even being at the beverage fountain.

Fractal514

You dont take the toiletries do you? But to be honest you do sound a little up yourself. I was raised to question rules, but still know the difference of right from wrong. I however am happy to post in threads with the self proclaimed moral guardians of the internet.

And to be honest you could have just used the word petty, Id have understood your post.

Not sure I get where you're going with the toiletries thing.

I sound up on myself? Fair enough, but so do you my friend.

Questioning rules is not the same as breaking them. You can question and argue about rules all you want, but in the end the decision to follow or ignore them is a separate decision from questioning them in the first place.

I don't think anyone where is claiming to be a moral a guardian of the internet (another good tactic in argument is to mock the opposing side by taking their argument to an extreme to make them seem unreasonable).

I'm not sure if you are just a troll or have a unique sense of humor.

maggiegrace1

Questioning rules is not the same as breaking them. You can question and argue about rules all you want, but in the end the decision to follow or ignore them is a separate decision from questioning them in the first place.

I don't think anyone where is claiming to be a moral a guardian of the internet (another good tactic in argument is to mock the opposing side by taking their argument to an extreme to make them seem unreasonable).

I'm not sure if you are just a troll
or have a unique sense of humor.
He is a troll..I think he should be banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fork::fork::fork:

:lookaroun

:lol:

Have you not read almost every post of his?

Wilt Dasney

http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/resorts/RefillableMugs.shtml
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2009/08/12/disney-resort-refillable-mugs-faq/
http://allears.net/din/mugs.htm

Three different sources that show, it is only to be used on the trip purchased, not for life. One of those sites, even has a sign that shows this.

So no, you don't get refills for life.
Those seem to only address the current policy, though. If Disney did at one time sell mugs under the pretense that you could use them indefinitely, the ones bought during that time should be able to be used that way.

I'd never even heard that the mugs were at one time promoted as good for life, but so many people in here have very specific memories of that policy that I'm inclined to think it might have briefly been the case.

Also, for people who say they just want a picture of one of the lifetime mugs as proof: I doubt that would settle anything, since the refill policy likely wasn't printed ON the mugs if they were sold as good for life. Whenever this issue comes up, I always see the current signs in the food courts posted as evidence for the policy.

If the mugs were once promoted as good for life, and the only evidence for that was printed in the food courts, we're not likely to ever find proof of that. Who would have been inspired to take photos of the food court signs 15-20 years ago when the internet was still in its infancy and the "controversy" over Disney mugs didn't exist yet?

Buried20KLeague

I'm not sure if you are just a troll or have a unique sense of humor.

It's the latter. :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Those seem to only address the current policy, though. If Disney did at one time sell mugs under the pretense that you could use them indefinitely, the ones bought during that time should be able to be used that way.

I'd never even heard that the mugs were at one time promoted as good for life, but so many people in here have very specific memories of that policy that I'm inclined to think it might have briefly been the case.

Also, for people who say they just want a picture of one of the lifetime mugs as proof: I doubt that would settle anything, since the refill policy likely wasn't printed ON the mugs if they were sold as good for life. Whenever this issue comes up, I always see the current signs in the food courts posted as evidence for the policy.

If the mugs were once promoted as good for life, and the only evidence for that was printed in the food courts, we're not likely to ever find proof of that. Who would have been inspired to take photos of the food court signs 15-20 years ago when the internet was still in its infancy and the "controversy" over Disney mugs didn't exist yet?
It is printed on the current mugs, at least it is on the few I have, my hope was that it would also be printed on the pre-2000 mugs which seams to be when the life-time mugs were sold. It is a long shot though. Most companies will print what you can't do vs. what you can do on something like this.

Eyorefan

Except if you read the whole thread, at least one person has claimed that mugs did in fact have "Lifetime Refills" (or something similar) printed on them.

I do agree with you about the photo of the signs though. Back in the day, with the cost of developing film I doubt anyone would have waisted it by taking a photo fo the food court signs.

That said, I still think people are mis-remembering what they were told, or they were simply mis-informed. I say that because I have a mugs that were purchused from 1996 to present day in different hotels through out WDW. Non of them say, "lifetime refills" and I was never under the impression that they were good for anything beyound the length of our stay. For that reason alone I'm not really inclinded to belive that WDW has ever offered lifetime refills.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Or are they simply remembering the good for life spiel on the mugs purchased at the water parks, minus the daily sticker part?

Anyway when will they introduce the good for stay margarita glass, or bottomless beer.

njDizFan

Some of you people really are ridiculous. The concentrate for 70 percent of Coca-Cola’s 1.5 billion drinks served each day originates in Ireland, where enough concentrate for 50,000 Cokes costs $2.60—including labor. The concentrate’s main ingredient? Caramel. That means that one penny buys enough syrup to make nearly 200 glasses of Coke! A restaurant (or really, any business that uses soda fountains) has a slightly higher cost than that (Coke isn't going to sell it to them at cost, after all). It costs 9 cents for a 12-oz soda from the fountain. Make no mistake, even with the rampant "stealing", it is virtually impossible for Disney not to profit from soda. It's practically pure profit. So you can argue theft and blah blah blah all you want, but let's not pretend Disney is losing money from re-use of the mugs. If people want to re-fill mugs they paid for then fine (to break even on the mug, you would need about 144 refills...less if you factor the actual cost of the mug itself). Disney should most definitel crack down on people filling up bottles and non-Disney mugs.
victimless crime = no crime, perhaps/debateable.

Or the victim is us as the Disney consumer. If the managers profit and loss is down due to decreased mug sales, the food court salad just got jacked to $3.99 to keep their bottom line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom