The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

acr123

I just saw the video and loved what I saw. Its so great to see the Tiki Room restored to its former glory. UNM was just a mess. I saw it once and never wanted to, nor did I ever see it again. Seeing the original show return gives me hope that they will go back and look at some of the other MISTAKES the company has made in the parks and correct those as well. Its also nice to think that the Tiki Room proves that nothing in the parks really HAS to be gone forever. :)

As for the show I dont mind the new edited version at all. It does seem tighter and seems to run at a better pace. The only edit that really bothers me is the birds ending up in a ladies hat verse in the title song. I loved that part and it concluded the song perfectly!! I do want to give ashout out to all those who have found it hard to sit through something like The Tiki Room in the past. I just want to say, you need to just learn to sit back and grow some patience. It should worry you if you cant find fun and joy in the more simple things in life!

I am guessing that the original fountain must have been tossed when they put in UNM. I dont mind the planter at all and do like the smoke effect during the War Chant part (although they could make it a little more dramatic)but I think not installing some kind of dancing fountains in there was a missed opportunity. I think that would have been a great way to update the show a little bit as well.....have dancing fountains dancing to a new Pol. inspired instrumental song!

MMfangirl

ok, i know im in the minority here, but i do prefer under new management.
iv watched the video of the original tiki room and i just got bored..... i skipped a couple of songs even, my problem with the original tiki room is that there is no story its just a series of songs and im not all that interested!:shrug:

where as under new management made me laugh and i enjoyed the show!! :)

so i know im probably going to be called a lot for this comment....
but i had to say something!!!!!

acr123

iv watched the video of the original tiki room and i just got bored..... i skipped a couple of songs even, my problem with the original tiki room is that there is no story its just a series of songs and im not all that interested!:shrug:

The story is that you are there to enjoy the enchanting show that the birds and flowers are putting on for you. They are the SHOW you are the AUDIENCE. As I said in my earlier post, if you cant find the fun and charm in something like the Tiki Room you really need to work on slowing down a bit and work on finding enjoyment in simpler things.

Spike-in-Berlin

I just saw the video and loved what I saw. Its so great to see the Tiki Room restored to its former glory. UNM was just a mess. I saw it once and never wanted to, nor did I ever see it again. Seeing the original show return gives me hope that they will go back and look at some of the other MISTAKES the company has made in the parks and correct those as well. Its also nice to think that the Tiki Room proves that nothing in the parks really HAS to be gone forever. :)

As for the show I dont mind the new edited version at all. It does seem tighter and seems to run at a better pace. The only edit that really bothers me is the birds ending up in a ladies hat verse in the title song. I loved that part and it concluded the song perfectly!! I do want to give ashout out to all those who have found it hard to sit through something like The Tiki Room in the past. I just want to say, you need to just learn to sit back and grow some patience. It should worry you if you cant find fun and joy in the more simple things in life!

I am guessing that the original fountain must have been tossed when they put in UNM. I dont mind the planter at all and do like the smoke effect during the War Chant part (although they could make it a little more dramatic)but I think not installing some kind of dancing fountains in there was a missed opportunity. I think that would have been a great way to update the show a little bit as well.....have dancing fountains dancing to a new Pol. inspired instrumental song!

I agree about the editing of most of the show, e.g. I always found the "sing along part" of "sing like the birdies sing" a little too long. However I don't think that cutting a litle more than 20 seconds in the Tiki Room Luau number (actually first part of the so-calles Hawaiian War Chant that is no war chant at all) really were necessary, especially when they were done quite obvious.

At least we now know what Disney today means with a "show that's reminiscent to the classic".

Shorter.

devoy1701

I'm looking forward to seeing this whenever I get the chance...

Also, I understand the sentiment about cutting the show. But the original was almost 18 minutes long... That's a long time to sit through a theme park attraction these days. Especially when people are looking for thrills and technological marvels (new ones anyway).

I do hope that the fountain features come back though.

Pioneer Hall

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You aren't the only one who enjoyed the UNM show.

The story is that you are there to enjoy the enchanting show that the birds and flowers are putting on for you. They are the SHOW you are the AUDIENCE. As I said in my earlier post, if you cant find the fun and charm in something like the Tiki Room you really need to work on slowing down a bit and work on finding enjoyment in simpler things.

I disagree with you completely here. As a theatre person, the show is meant to entertain but it's up to the audience to make it good. If the show isn't enjoyed by the audience then it's not up to par. There's a reason Shakespeare is common knowledge and Marlow is not.

But I do understand why some people don't enjoy the classic Tiki room to UNM. There's no real pop! The show is now more like a tribute and fresh new audiences might not get that and we'll probably see another Carousel of Progress incident, where the true Disney fans want it to stay and the average modern theme park goers could honestly care less.

aladdin2007

Well, of course MiceChat, Al/Kevin have the Tiki Room article up today. Al taking his usual punches at Orlando for the shortened show and Kevin calling his article Tiki Tacky. Sometimes I think nothing can ever be done right here, yet even with things cut out of the show (song miniutes, dialogue, fountain) yeah they went for a budget version its true, but then what else is new. We should all be glad the show returned in nostaligic form for the most part. Its just when reading things like that it puts a damper on the enjoyment of it. I should never have gone on miceage this morning. :brick:

devoy1701

Well, of course MiceChat, Al/Kevin have the Tiki Room article up today. Al taking his usual punches at Orlando for the shortened show and Kevin calling his article Tiki Tacky. Sometimes I think nothing can ever be done right here, yet even with things cut out of the show (song miniutes, dialogue, fountain) yeah they went for a budget version its true, but then what else is new. We should all be glad the show returned in nostaligic form for the most part. Its just when reading things like that it puts a damper on the enjoyment of it. I should never have gone on miceage this morning. :brick:

Your post gives me many mixed emotions here. While I will reserve judgement until I actually get to see it in person, I'm sure I will enjoy it more than I enjoyed UNM (which I did enjoy, even if it wasn't worth visiting regularly!).

However, while moving from UNM to a restored original should be praised, getting a completely watered down version shouldn't be. If something was executed poorly, you shouldn't just unanoumously praise because overall the decision was a good one.

As I said though, I haven't seen it, I'm not going to go one way or the other.

Can someone tell me if the fountain was actually removed or if it is just inoperative at this time?

aladdin2007

Your post gives me many mixed emotions here. While I will reserve judgement until I actually get to see it in person, I'm sure I will enjoy it more than I enjoyed UNM (which I did enjoy, even if it wasn't worth visiting regularly!).

However, while moving from UNM to a restored original should be praised, getting a completely watered down version shouldn't be. If something was executed poorly, you shouldn't just unanoumously praise because overall the decision was a good one.
As I said though, I haven't seen it, I'm not going to go one way or the other.

Can someone tell me if the fountain was actually removed or if it is just inoperative at this time?

Well very true for sure. Its just they could have at least not called it Tiki Tacky, UNM was Tiki Tacky.......the fountain plumbing line was removed when UNM was installed.

acr123

I disagree with you completely here. As a theatre person, the show is meant to entertain but it's up to the audience to make it good. If the show isn't enjoyed by the audience then it's not up to par. There's a reason Shakespeare is common knowledge and Marlow is not.

But I do understand why some people don't enjoy the classic Tiki room to UNM. There's no real pop! The show is now more like a tribute and fresh new audiences might not get that and we'll probably see another Carousel of Progress incident, where the true Disney fans want it to stay and the average modern theme park goers could honestly care less.

I think the Tiki Room is timeless. It should appeal to all generations. Im not old by any means and can certainly find the fun and charm in this attraction. I dont get this "modern audience" reference that people keep bringing up. Anyone from any generation CAN appreciate something like this.

devoy1701

Well very true for sure. Its just they could have at least not called it Tiki Tacky, UNM was Tiki Tacky.......the fountain plumbing line was removed when UNM was installed.

I agree. "Tiki Tacky" is a bit strong. And that's upsetting that the fountain plumbing was dismantled.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah, "Tiki Tacky" is a really negative and kind of odd headline for the article when you actually read it. Al's comments are melodramatic in the extreme, but then what do you expect. I'm not a hater of MiceAge at all, but this kind of tone does get tiresome after a while.

As for the show, a massive tick from me! I'm even quite ok with the few nips and tucks here to hopefully keep people from getting up and walking out.

acr123

I agree.

I know Kevin reads this forum and I would just like to say I think the title of his review is pretty harsh. It sounded catchy, so most likely that is why he chose to use it although we all know he seems to always be a wet blanket with things like this. Anyone with eyes can see that the show isnt TACKY. I just watched both DL and the new WDW versions on youtube and I have to say I think I may like the shorter WDW show BETTER. Sometimes a little editing can be a good thing! The only thing I agree with Kevin on is the fountain. Aside from that I think his review is just more "Kevins got the crabbies".:brick:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So far I have only seen the video but the show looks pretty good. It is nice to see everything working again and not hear a rather annoying Iago. Hopefully they will find a way to install the fountain in the not so distant future.

I do however see one glaring problem. They replaced the original version of this show in 1998 for a reason. People had gotten sick of it. Unless they plan to periodically switch up the songs they will be right back where they started in about 5 years.

gerryu21220

As it is, I just think they trimmed it way too much. The current Disneyland version seems to be "just right" to me. This version ruins the flow of the show with jarring edits, and dilutes any build-up to the finale. Hopefully they will tweak it some to make it feel more like a complete show rather than the "Reader's Digest" version.

The other sore point seems to be the lack of the Enchanted Fountain. There was no *real* excuse not to reinstall it, and upgrade it to do some new tricks during the other numbers to add visual interest. The plumbing could easily have been re-run under the attraction. Remember, you're on the second level with a basement network beneath the Magic Kingdom.

devoy1701

So far I have only seen the video but the show looks pretty good. It is nice to see everything working again and not hear a rather annoying Iago. Hopefully they will find a way to install the fountain in the not so distant future.

I do however see one glaring problem. They replaced the original version of this show in 1998 for a reason. People had gotten sick of it. Unless they plan to periodically switch up the songs they will be right back where they started in about 5 years.

As Kevin mentions in his article about the preshow...the jokes that are present have virtually no relevence to today's audience, and earned no laughter at all in the times he was in line. I hope that they will "fine tune" this over the next couple months or I fear that exactly what you say will happen.

Perhaps TDO did this on purpose as a "told ya so" move...

I Kid! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom