The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

dxwwf3

Anyway, I just think taking a step backwards, and opening up an old version of an attraction, is against a major thing that Walt stood for... and that's progress.

Replacing something with classic quality > Replacing something with brand new garbage

Progress is making something better than it was before, IMO. We've had too many attraction replacements over the years that regressed quality. That's not progress in my book.

With the new Tiki Room it appears that Disney has updated the technology throughout the show, edited the length and content for a contemporary audience and has made the show technically better than it ever has been before. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is.

dreamscometrue

With the new Tiki Room it appears that Disney has updated the technology throughout the show, edited the length and content for a contemporary audience and has made the show technically better than it ever has been before. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is.

Entire quote is great! The added bold is because I think that was actaully a wise decision. Like it or not, this is not 1963, and a more 'fast paced' version is what is needed for young people and adults in today's society who just don't quite have the attention sp...sorry, just got tweet, and a text, and a BBM message and....um, where was I...um...anyway, on to Pirates. :)

Now if they REALLY want to impress me, get rid of that garbage known simply as "Stitches Great Escape" and bring back the original "Alien Encounter" and I'll be happy! :cool:

TalkingHead

Great! A shortened show means less time for guests to sit in the comfort of a darkened, air-conditioned theater. Summer guests will really appreciate this change.

danv3

I'm generally pleased with what I saw on the videos. The Tiki Room has long been a favorite of mine and I'm glad to see the UNM show get the boot. The only disappointment is the cut of the audience participation part at the end of "Let's all sing...". Having just visited Disneyland, I thought the whole audience singing along there was one of the best parts. In the shows I attended, almost everyone was singing along. I'm surprised that part isn't present in Florida. In any event, overall this is a great restoration and I'm looking forward to seeing it in October.

yoyoflamingo

I looked at both DL and WDW versions on YouTube. This "new' version in WDW is 1:50 shorter than the DL version. The part were they have you sing with the birds is taken out and that is approx. 1:25. The Luah part is shorter by approx. :25 worth. The drum part etc is the same. So this "new" WDW version is almost 2 minutes shorter.

I know there appears to be shorter attention spans nowadays but did you need to cut 2 minutes off?

Know I will get flamed for providing the info above. Oh, well.

Anyway, I am thankfull (believe it or not) for this to be back and not having to endure UNM anymore. The only good part of UNM was the que.

The worst is that the website states for the attraction:

WDW Official Website said:
After all these years, this unique show still offers magical touches and delightful surprises. Even the audience gets into the act, joining in during the ditty "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing."
Glad it's back but singing along with the birds is one of my favorite parts!

Tom Morrow

I don't mind that they edited the show down. I totally understand why.

I did notice that they took out the lines "our show is delightful, we hope you'll agree, we hope that it fills you with pleasure and glee, 'cause if we don't make you feel like that, we're gonna end up on a lady's hat!"

...which I can also understand, I'm sure PETA would have a fit these days over that.

Skipper Dan

Now if they REALLY want to impress me, get rid of that garbage known simply as "Stitches Great Escape" and bring back the original "Alien Encounter" and I'll be happy! :cool:

No, no, no... remember, that isn't the original attraction that was there! We need 'Mission To Mars' back.

Or better yet, how about 'Flight To The Moon,' 'cause Walt was around then! We've got to keep everything like it was, remember? :lol: :lookaroun ;)

TP2000

Having just visited Disneyland, I thought the whole audience singing along there was one of the best parts. In the shows I attended, almost everyone was singing along. I'm surprised that part isn't present in Florida.

I agree totally! That's one of my favorite parts in the Disneyland show, and when everyone in the theater sings along its almost like peace has spread across the planet. It's just a classic, charming "Kumbaya" moment when everyone joins together to sing and buy the world a Coke. Or a Dole Whip. :lol:

It's a shame they had to cut that to tighten up the WDW version further, but overall I think this is a fantastic improvement for WDW. And, we still have the 1963 Disneyland version where we can sign along with strangers. :lol:

Skipper Dan

Replacing something with classic quality > Replacing something with brand new garbage

Progress is making something better than it was before, IMO. We've had too many attraction replacements over the years that regressed quality. That's not progress in my book.

I agree with you, and like I said:

'I do think that [the new] show is... refreshing, and multiple times better than 'Under New Management,' but that's just because there was absolutely no creativity that went into that show. With the right amount of thought, that idea (incorporating Disney's major bird characters from their films) is actually a strong, and - for lack of a better word - obvious idea, that would've/could've blended in organically.'

Not trying to get into a debate, just makin' sure you know where I stand! :wave:

Fractal514

No, no, no... remember, that isn't the original attraction that was there! We need 'Mission To Mars' back.

Or better yet, how about 'Flight To The Moon,' 'cause Walt was around then! We've got to keep everything like it was, remember? :lol: :lookaroun ;)

Mission to Mars is back, and improved, and it's over at Epcot, where it ROCKS, but everyone complains about it, cause it replaced an even better ride. SO... Let's have Horizons replace SGE :)

Skipper Dan

Mission to Mars is back, and improved, and it's over at Epcot, where it ROCKS, but everyone complains about it, cause it replaced an even better ride. SO... Let's have Horizons replace SGE :)

I'm actually okay with that.

But it'd have to be modernized, and progressed... obviously! :p

yoyoflamingo

I think this is the single greatest example of logic I have ever seen on this, or any other site.

Well played, and I would welcome this more than any other addition.

Katherine

I got to see it in soft opening today! The splendor of the Tropical Serenade is back! The only thing missing was the pillar of water that rises, I'm hoping it comes back too! The birds/flowers/tiki totems were making less clacking noises too which was nice.

CIMG0095_93.jpg

CIMG0098_82.jpg

djkidkaz

To each their own. I prefer it MUCH more than Hall Of Presidents, American Adventure, and Pirates, and for me it has NOTHING to do with nostalgia. It's because it is CUTE CUTE CUTE and gives me that "warm and fuzzy" HAPPY feeling that those other attractions don't. Singing along with lovable birdies is MUCH more fun for me than human pirates or, worse, boring politicians. Not much fantasy there! (Not to "diss" those other attractions, but just pointing out an obvious area it has more appeal than those others, since you seem to think it doesn't - having more fantasy and a higher "cuteness factor", which are actually the most important qualities I look for in a Disney attraction!)

For me, it's not about the technology or how "high tech" or "innovative" it is, it's about the concept and story; and the concept of cute singing birdies, flowers, and tikis blows those other concepts out of the water, for my taste. The original Tiki Room is in my Top 5 at MK and thank God (and yes, TDO ;) ) that it is FINALLY back!

The haters may not be thinking about it a month from now, but whenever I'm in the MK, it will be right up there with the Country Bears, Splash Mountain, and EVERYTHING in Fantasyland as my go-to favorites!

Attractions like the Tiki Room are the PRECISE things that draw me to the Disney Parks in the first place! Much more so than the more serious ones, or ones that have more "up to date technology", but less cuteness, charm, and critters.

You can't top singing critters. Ever! ;)

Well trust me David S., you are definitely one in a million.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom