The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As Kevin mentions in his article about the preshow...the jokes that are present have virtually no relevence to today's audience, and earned no laughter at all in the times he was in line. I hope that they will "fine tune" this over the next couple months or I fear that exactly what you say will happen.

Perhaps TDO did this on purpose as a "told ya so" move...

I Kid! :rolleyes:
That would not surprise me one bit. After all they did something similar to justify getting rid of 20k. I had no problem with them taking a step back to a better core show concept but in doing so they should have improved on it in the process. From what I see on the video and have heard from reports they have done exactly the opposite. Same show only shorter, no fountain, and no effects improvement. I can only hope that what is there is not the finished project.

bhodge

yawn - lost opportuity

Watched the video - had same response I had at Disneyland last year watching the show - cute, but a "museum" piece. If we are going to treat this like the shrine that some people want it be - then I wish there was that piece to it - a bit of history of the attraction. I am a huge Disney park fan, but think this was a missed opportunity to make the show new, fresh and more relevant. I totally agree with the post that this could wind up bring right where it was when UNM came in in a few years. I think it could have had a little more fun with itself - maybe an inside joke or two about the "old" management back. Maybe a "wall of fame" in the preshow area of past "featured performers" like Iago and Zazou. Something that made me want to revisit this. As it stands, its cute - its the show it was when I first visited DW and I have been there and done that. I expect amazing new stories from Disney. This looks like it was a fairly inexpensive way to quiet all those people who complain about every change that is made (Ironically, some of those are already complaining about THIS change - can't be made happy) and is the process we would up with a missed opportunity for something really neat. I'm not bashing it, I just think there was more that could have been done.

Skyway

I think the editing of this show is brilliant. __In fact, this version could be better than the DL original.

Before I explain, I need to take issue with everyone who claims "attention spans are shorter" and "you really need to work on slowing down a bit and work on finding enjoyment in simpler things."

Attention spans are NOT shorter. That's bunk.They're just more sophisticated. Movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment are actually longer than they were a decade or two ago. For example, the "Harry Potter" movies all clock in over 2 hours (most 80's movies are 90 min or less). And there are a lot more hour-long drama and series on TV, too. But in order to keep people from falling asleep in the theater or clicking the remote off CSI, those shows need to have good pacing. There is a reason why they give Academy Awards for editing. The way a piece of entertainment is edited can make or break its success.

As for the lecture to "find enjoyment in simpler things", that's like telling someone to take castol oil. "It tastes terrible but shut up, its good for you.". __If you are paying $80 to be entertained, and the entertainment is not entertaining you, its not your fault. __It's the entertainment's fault. __You shouldn't have to like something because someone tells you its a classic that needs to be appreciated.

And that's why I think the editing on this show is great. __It took an existing "classic" (in name only) and tightened it up to make it entertaining again.

Think about it. __The Tiki Room is nearly 50 years old. __What other forms of entertainment have YOU watched this week that are 50 years old? There will always be timeless classics, like "Tom Sawyer" and "Gone With The Wind". __But for every classic, there are hundreds of other forms of entertainment that did not withstand the test of time.

I believe that the original Tiki barely withstood the test of time, and with each passing year it dies a bit more. Sure, it may have historical importance in the history of Disney and AA development. __But that doesn't make it entertaining in 2011. A good comparison would be the debut episode of "SNL". That epsiode (which is 22 years younger than Tiki, and hence more modern) was a wild success and equally groundbreaking. Yet watching it today on Netflix can be painful. The jokes are outdated, and the pacing is TERRIBLE (in terms of today's standards).

When Disney decides to close, update (or in this case, restore) a "classic" attraction, they really need to consider how that attraction would be received if it was a brand new, never-before-seen attraction being built from scratch.__

HM and PotC could debut today and be a wild success (as would a truly amazing number of other original attractions, a testament to their timelessness)

Tiki, however, would not. If that attraction opened today, it would be attacked in online forums like this one for being dull, repetitive, and using outdated technology. More important, visitors would quickly learn it was not worth visiting, or they'd walk out---just as they did in 1996.

Something needed to be done. But obviously UNM was not the right answer. Neither was "Get The Fever" in Tokyo (a more modern version of the show without the annoying UNM characters) And apparently the Tokyo Stitch version isn't too great either.

After 3 strikes, it's clear it's nearly impossible to "update" Tiki. That theater was built for that specific show.__

So it appears Disney was forced to make the original show as good as it can be for modern tastes in entertainment. __And that meant editing it to modern pacing.

When you break it down, the original show had only 7 elements: singing birds, dancing fountain, birdmobile, singing flowers, drum-banging tikis, chanting tikis, and thunderstorm.

While those may have been amazing to behold in 1963, you really don't need to spend much time on any element these days before it gets dull.

They were smart to completed ax the Offenbach sequence at DL. Nothing about that is entertaining today.

And with no Offenbach, there is no need for the fountain (it's one thing for DL to keep something that was already there. WDW would have had to rebuild their fountain. The only other times the fountain was active was during transitions between songs and the War Chant crescendo. Those transitions were tightened up in the WDW show incredibly well for the sake of show pacing. But that also reduced the need for the fountain even more. That leaves only the War Chant segment using the fountain. I don't consider Disney "cheap" for not building a fountain for those 15 seconds. Walt probably would not have, either, if not for the Offenbach sequence.

I also have no problem with them cutting the sing-along. This segment is often uncomfortable to watch at DL, with only a small portion of the audience participating.

Unlike at WDW, DL's Tiki is at the very front of Adventureland. In fact, it's practically on Main St. It may be the 2nd closest attraction to the front entrance (with Lincoln being first). Also, DL's Tiki is much smaller. So it's easier to pack the house.

At WDW, the odds are against there being a packed house (or even close to it) Without a packed house, the sing-along would be even more uncomfortable.

Short of closing it completely, I think WDW did the best they could with making Tiki relevant again.__

Buried20KLeague

I agree.

I know Kevin reads this forum and I would just like to say I think the title of his review is pretty harsh. It sounded catchy, so most likely that is why he chose to use it although we all know he seems to always be a wet blanket with things like this. Anyone with eyes can see that the show isnt TACKY. I just watched both DL and the new WDW versions on youtube and I have to say I think I may like the shorter WDW show BETTER. Sometimes a little editing can be a good thing! The only thing I agree with Kevin on is the fountain. Aside from that I think his review is just more "Kevins got the crabbies".:brick:

I'm almost positive Kevin doesn't title his articles... That it's done by someone else.

I believe he said that at some point in the past when another title was a bit sensationalized.

djkidkaz

I'm almost positive Kevin doesn't title his articles... That it's done by someone else.

I believe he said that at some point in the past when another title was a bit sensationalized.

Best thing they could have done would be something similar to COP where the preshow has video of Walt talking about the attraction and the birds. Then when you sit in the theater maybe they tell you a little more about the show and it's history and then you watch the show. Its still around because of it's history and probably one of the Walt attractions that's hardest to keep relevant, so treat it as a piece of history rather than a modern attraction.

RSoxNo1

Tiki, however, would not. If that attraction opened today, it would be attacked in online forums like this one for being dull, repetitive, and using outdated technology. More important, visitors would quickly learn it was not worth visiting, or they'd walk out---just as they did in 1996.

Something needed to be done. But obviously UNM was not the right answer. Neither was "Get The Fever" in Tokyo (a more modern version of the show without the annoying UNM characters) And apparently the Tokyo Stitch version isn't too great either.

After 3 strikes, it's clear it's nearly impossible to "update" Tiki. That theater was built for that specific show.__

So it appears Disney was forced to make the original show as good as it can be for modern tastes in entertainment. __And that meant editing it to modern pacing.

When you break it down, the original show had only 7 elements: singing birds, dancing fountain, birdmobile, singing flowers, drum-banging tikis, chanting tikis, and thunderstorm.

While those may have been amazing to behold in 1963, you really don't need to spend much time on any element these days before it gets dull.

They were smart to completed ax the Offenbach sequence at DL. Nothing about that is entertaining today.

And with no Offenbach, there is no need for the fountain (it's one thing for DL to keep something that was already there. WDW would have had to rebuild their fountain. The only other times the fountain was active was during transitions between songs and the War Chant crescendo. Those transitions were tightened up in the WDW show incredibly well for the sake of show pacing. But that also reduced the need for the fountain even more. That leaves only the War Chant segment using the fountain. I don't consider Disney "cheap" for not building a fountain for those 15 seconds. Walt probably would not have, either, if not for the Offenbach sequence.

I also have no problem with them cutting the sing-along. This segment is often uncomfortable to watch at DL, with only a small portion of the audience participating.

Unlike at WDW, DL's Tiki is at the very front of Adventureland. In fact, it's practically on Main St. It may be the 2nd closest attraction to the front entrance (with Lincoln being first). Also, DL's Tiki is much smaller. So it's easier to pack the house.

At WDW, the odds are against there being a packed house (or even close to it) Without a packed house, the sing-along would be even more uncomfortable.

Short of closing it completely, I think WDW did the best they could with making Tiki relevant again.__

This is part of the problem with trying to fit something into an existing space. You're constrained by the limitations of that space, and often times, you're apt to have more budget constraints as well because the expectation is that you can use existing infrastructure.

A glaring example of this are Mike and Sully to the Rescue replacing Superstar Limo at DCA. Quite a few animatronics were not only re-used, but the animation itself didn't change substantially. Having said that - it was an improvement and exists as a solid dark ride (albeit out of place).

This is true.

Buried20KLeague

Best thing they could have done would be something similar to COP where the preshow has video of Walt talking about the attraction and the birds. Then when you sit in the theater maybe they tell you a little more about the show and it's history and then you watch the show. Its still around because of it's history and probably one of the Walt attractions that's hardest to keep relevant, so treat it as a piece of history rather than a modern attraction.

That's actually a great idea. They really should have done something like that. Especially if the pre-show comes off as dated as has been reported.

baanman

Just watched the video. Yes, it's a bit trimmed for time. But it is attractions like this that make the Disney parks stand out from the rest. These are the things that keep my family coming back.

Animaniac93-98

Very happy to see the return of the old Tiki room and for sure will see it during my next trip.

I don't think a CoP like pre-show is needed. That would just make it look more like a museum piece by forcing guests to view it in some sort of context. If the show is truly a classic you should be able to see it and enjoy it without a history lesson of some kind. I also don't mind the lack of fountain for the reasons listed by Skyway in his/her post (which I thought was great). They have an alternative effect in place anyway.

The problem with the Tiki Room, like the County Bears, is the building was made just for this show and I don't see how you could build any other type of attraction in there. They might as well keep and update it. So long as the main theme song is kept and the endning is similar I don't care too much about what is the middle part as long as it's enjoyable. Even if Stitch is there.

After watching the video, I think I like the attraction a lot better. I've read many people's comments about wanting a scene with Walt creating the attraction. I fully agree with them.

I would love to see the history behind the attractions and I think this adds a lot to the park. It would greater show that WDW is not just a look into the future of amusement parks, but also a look back and respect for where they came from.

TropicalFig8

I just watched it and love it. I don't care if there isn't any fountain. It's my favorite attraction and now it's in my favorite park. That's all I need.

I'm ready to sing like the birdies sing next year! :D

David S.

Edited to add - Thanks for the photos :)

I think the editing of this show is brilliant. __In fact, this version could be better than the DL original.

Before I explain, I need to take issue with everyone who claims "attention spans are shorter" and "you really need to work on slowing down a bit and work on finding enjoyment in simpler things."

Attention spans are NOT shorter. That's bunk.They're just more sophisticated. Movies, TV shows, and other forms of entertainment are actually longer than they were a decade or two ago. For example, the "Harry Potter" movies all clock in over 2 hours (most 80's movies are 90 min or less). And there are a lot more hour-long drama and series on TV, too. But in order to keep people from falling asleep in the theater or clicking the remote off CSI, those shows need to have good pacing. There is a reason why they give Academy Awards for editing. The way a piece of entertainment is edited can make or break its success.

I think you make a good point in distinguishing the word EDITING. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "shorter attention span" and left it at that. I guess I should have said "modern" audiences apparently have a short attention span for anything that isn't briskly edited!

I know personally, I never really cared for the frantic, fast-paced, quick-cut, music video-style editing that is popular in modern times. I never get bored or impatient with things taking a more leisurely time to develop. Then again, I listen to a LOT of classical music, instrumental film scores, opera, and "new age" music, so I am used to things developing slowly. By those standards, ALL pop seems fast to me, so it's hard for me to comprehend how even the full 18 minute Tiki show could be "boring" or "too slow moving". Because even without the visuals, I am completely enchanted by it!

Another example I can think of is the over three-hour Academy Award-winning masterpiece from the 50's, Around the World In 80 Days. There are long shots in this movie that do nothing but mount a camera in front of a train for a few minutes, while you watch the scenery pass by, while the score plays, with minimal use of edits. I absolutely LOVE the lesuirely feel of scenes like this, where they are given time to BREATHE and bring the viewer into this world - and I find them even more refreshing knowing that if a film like this were made today, these scenes would most likely have sadly been HACKED to death!

If my ability to enjoy the more leisurely pacing of things like this, or the slower pace of an unedited Tiki Room, means my taste or attention span is "unsophisticated", than so be it. I'm proud to be "unsophisticated" in that case, then! :)

As for the lecture to "find enjoyment in simpler things", that's like telling someone to take castol oil. "It tastes terrible but shut up, its good for you.". __If you are paying $80 to be entertained, and the entertainment is not entertaining you, its not your fault. __It's the entertainment's fault. __You shouldn't have to like something because someone tells you its a classic that needs to be appreciated.

I agree that it can come across as "lecturing" to tell someone they should or shouldn't like something. Everyone should certainly be entitled to their own opinion and taste! But if they don't like something, I don't think its fair either to say that it's the entertainment's fault. Nobody is going to like EVERYTHING, and no piece of entertainment is going to be liked by EVERYONE. So it's nobody's "fault", IMO - neither the person or the entertainment - it's just one of many cases where someone doesn't get into something that someone else will.

HM and PotC could debut today and be a wild success (as would a truly amazing number of other original attractions, a testament to their timelessness)

I guess it all comes down to personal taste. I know I would LOVE it if it opened as a new attraction today, even in it's longest form. Than again, I don't get bored by things not changing or moving "fast enough".

Well, the reason I would like to spend more time with each scene and element is MUSICAL, which is a major appeal of the show for me. It's like, when you get used to hearing a certain piece of music in its complete form, like on an album version, and then you hear the "single edit" shortened for radio, it can be a quite jarring experience. Or another example is I am used to the full-length version of "Waltz Of The Flowers" from Nutcracker Suite, so whenever I hear the EXTREME musical edits done in the Disney Animated Classic, Fantasia, it always feels shocking and catches me totally off-guard.

Likewise, I think that's why people are taking issue with these Tiki edits. It alters the musical structure and musical dynamic of the songs, especially "Birdies" and the intro, female-sung opening of "Hawaiian War Chant", which has parts of the melody completely missing! This can sound really "wrong" to highly musically-oriented people, and those who are used to the original, complete, versions.

Please note again that I am in no way "complaining" about the edits. I MUCH prefer the edited version over UNM. I'm just explaining why they can be unpleasant to some people, and why they would prefer less "tight" editing.

That is pure opinion. I find the song VERY beautiful, relaxing, and atmospheric, and I love the operatic "bird call" vibe. And therefore I find it "entertaining", and I'm alive "today". ;) But I guess by "modern" standards where things have to move along at a frantic pace, you are right, at least with regards to the "majority".

In many ways I guess I just wasn't made for these times... like the Beach Boys song! ;)

PS. This post is not intended to be taken in an argumentative spirit, but rather in the spirit of discussion :)

Skyway

David S---

I appreciate your comments.

By saying today's audiences are "more sophisticated" I should have clarified that by saying "more sophisticated than 1960's audiences" in terms of what entertains them. A 17-minute show with robotic birds was revolutionary in 1963. (There was a time when a silent black and white movie showing a train heading at the camera scared audiences that they were about to be run over.) Today, audiences have been exposed to so much more than in 1963 and have understandably higher expectations of what makes good entertainment.

I think anyone reading your likes and dislikes of entertainment would respect your tastes --- you're right, you can't please everybody -- but Disney needs to cater to the mass audience. And there's nothing wrong with the mass audience.

Clearly the mass audience didn't like Tiki Room 1.0 by the time 1996 rolled around. Whether they like this new version, only time will tell.

juan

just stopped by the tiki room today

They seemed to be having capacity shows all day. Inside, the birds, lighting, and basically everything looked fresh and new. I was really impressed with the color and quality of all the birds in the show.
As for the show itself, I thought the edits were unnoticeable but were perfectly implemented. I thought the best edit was the removal of Jose's call and repeat verse during "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" which I feel drags on way too long at DLR.

I think was a great improvement and, in my opinion, makes the show better than DLR's.
:sohappy:

dreamscometrue

And that's why I think the editing on this show is great. __It took an existing "classic" (in name only) and tightened it up to make it entertaining again.

Think about it. __The Tiki Room is nearly 50 years old. __What other forms of entertainment have YOU watched this week that are 50 years old? There will always be timeless classics, like "Tom Sawyer" and "Gone With The Wind". __But for every classic, there are hundreds of other forms of entertainment that did not withstand the test of time.

I believe that the original Tiki barely withstood the test of time, and with each passing year it dies a bit more. Sure, it may have historical importance in the history of Disney and AA development. __But that doesn't make it entertaining in 2011. A good comparison would be the debut episode of "SNL". That epsiode (which is 22 years younger than Tiki, and hence more modern) was a wild success and equally groundbreaking. Yet watching it today on Netflix can be painful. The jokes are outdated, and the pacing is TERRIBLE (in terms of today's standards).

When Disney decides to close, update (or in this case, restore) a "classic" attraction, they really need to consider how that attraction would be received if it was a brand new, never-before-seen attraction being built from scratch.__

Well stated! Awesome post...I agree with absolutely every thing you said! :wave:

David S.

David S---

I appreciate your comments.

By saying today's audiences are "more sophisticated" I should have clarified that by saying "more sophisticated than 1960's audiences" in terms of what entertains them. A 17-minute show with robotic birds was revolutionary in 1963. (There was a time when a silent black and white movie showing a train heading at the camera scared audiences that they were about to be run over.) Today, audiences have been exposed to so much more than in 1963 and have understandably higher expectations of what makes good entertainment.

I think anyone reading your likes and dislikes of entertainment would respect your tastes --- you're right, you can't please everybody -- but Disney needs to cater to the mass audience. And there's nothing wrong with the mass audience.

Clearly the mass audience didn't like Tiki Room 1.0 by the time 1996 rolled around. Whether they like this new version, only time will tell.

Thanks for not taking my post in an argumentative way! :) I actually agree that there is nothing wrong with pleasing the mass audience, and if they felt the edits were needed to reduce the potential of "walk outs", I certainly understand this and cannot fault them for this, regardless of my personal preference for the complete, unedited show.

As far as the audiences of today being more sophisticated than in the 60's, and having higher expectations for entertainment than a singing bird show, I guess this is just one area where some people would consider my tastes "unsophisticated". I enjoy some things that are "sophisticated", like classical music, Impressions de France, etc; but there is also a part of me that loves things that many "sophisticates" would consider pure "corn". Like cute musical revues with singing AA animals! :)

Anyway, edited or not, I can't stress enough how HAPPY and thankful I am that "TDO" brought back the original version of one of my beloved favorites. I am looking forward to seeing it in person MANY, MANY times! :)

On a side note, I was just thinking how WDW's MK can now truthfully claim to be the ONLY MK-style "Castle Park" in the world to be showing the original versions of BOTH classic AA musical revues - the Enchanted Tiki Room and Country Bear Jamboree!

Tokyo has both shows, but no longer shows the original Tiki show (and I'm not sure which Bear show they are currently running). Disneyland no longer has the Bears at all, and Paris and Hong Kong sadly lack versions of BOTH shows.

But at the MK, you can see the originals (or close to the originals) of BOTH shows, and they are mere footsteps away! A nice feather in the MK's cap :)

grimghost999

The Tiki Room is Hear to Stay!

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room was re-opened to day after a 6-month referbeshment, changing it back to they way it was 40 years ago.

I was fortunate enough to be there just long enough in WDW to catch the first show at 10:00am. It was great. The crowd was energetic and we all had a really good time.

I know some of you were their or even just watched wdwmagic's video of the ride. I want to hear your thoughts of it and how you feel about this change (i loved it by the way!)

(P.S., if you watched JeffLangeDVD.com's version, around 0:20 you here a kids screaming "I'M FIRST!", well, that was me)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom