The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

jt04

I never really appreciated the exterior of this attraction until recently. The 'depth' created by forced perspective and the details may be the best in the MK. There is such a sense of distance that it really does look like a south seas island. If the FLE can dupclicate this effect it will be great.

Awesome pictures. My only complaint is those two square trash cans. They would be better in the queue rather than right out front or much better themed but I guess I am being a bit picky.

OK, just had to add that. Be back this weekend for D23 news. If there is news :veryconfu

Skyway

I never really appreciated the exterior of this attraction until recently. The 'depth' created by forced perspective and the details may be the best in the MK.

Does anyone have photos --- or even better, a scale map! --- showing what the building looked like before the Carpets were installed.

The pool between the entrance and exit was much bigger, correct? Did it hide the exit and the Sunshine Tree Terrace from the front?

jt04

Does anyone have photos --- or even better, a scale map! --- showing what the building looked like before the Carpets were installed.

The pool between the entrance and exit was much bigger, correct? Did it hide the exit and the Sunshine Tree Terrace from the front?

Sounds like a question for Martin. If anyone would know it would be him.

boufa

I think the MK is not a museum. I'm glad that they modernised some parts. Walt said he always wanted them plussing the attractions. The parks are supposed to be alive and evolving. So in thid case maybe the improvment wad a mistake (under new mgmt) but you aleays have to be careful when you look backwards for your future.

This is not the wdw of my youth.... And I'm glad, I've already been there.

I never really appreciated the exterior of this attraction until recently. The 'depth' created by forced perspective and the details may be the best in the MK. There is such a sense of distance that it really does look like a south seas island. If the FLE can dupclicate this effect it will be great.

Awesome pictures. My only complaint is those two square trash cans. They would be better in the queue rather than right out front or much better themed but I guess I am being a bit picky.

OK, just had to add that. Be back this weekend for D23 news. If there is news :veryconfu

Thanks a lot! Haha! Now when I look at the picture, those two cans are all I can focus on! :)

But you are correct. That would be an easy fix, just some wooden covering for those two cans or something. Hopefully they do it!

gerryu21220

If my ability to enjoy the more leisurely pacing of things like this, or the slower pace of an unedited Tiki Room, means my taste or attention span is "unsophisticated", than so be it. I'm proud to be "unsophisticated" in that case, then! :)

I guess it all comes down to personal taste. I know I would LOVE it if it opened as a new attraction today, even in it's longest form. Than again, I don't get bored by things not changing or moving "fast enough".

Well, the reason I would like to spend more time with each scene and element is MUSICAL, which is a major appeal of the show for me. It's like, when you get used to hearing a certain piece of music in its complete form, like on an album version, and then you hear the "single edit" shortened for radio, it can be a quite jarring experience. Or another example is I am used to the full-length version of "Waltz Of The Flowers" from Nutcracker Suite, so whenever I hear the EXTREME musical edits done in the Disney Animated Classic, Fantasia, it always feels shocking and catches me totally off-guard.

Likewise, I think that's why people are taking issue with these Tiki edits. It alters the musical structure and musical dynamic of the songs, especially "Birdies" and the intro, female-sung opening of "Hawaiian War Chant", which has parts of the melody completely missing! This can sound really "wrong" to highly musically-oriented people, and those who are used to the original, complete, versions.

Please note again that I am in no way "complaining" about the edits. I MUCH prefer the edited version over UNM. I'm just explaining why they can be unpleasant to some people, and why they would prefer less "tight" editing.

I guess I'm "unsophisticated" too. Problem for me is that the edits are very jarring and noticeable, whereas the Disneyland cuts are not. For the longest time, I never realized that a verse was missing from "In The Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" in the current DL version.

The complete audio of the show has been available to the public since it was put on Lp in 1968. Many, many people are already familiar with it, and I still play it regularly. Had the cuts been less severe and more subtle like DL, I probably would be happy with it. In it's current cut, it just ruins the flow and build up to the finale for me. Removing one verse here and there is one thing, but this was just too much chopped out and too abruptly edited. The "Birdies" song just cuts off without an ending, like someone turned the show off. I'm sorry, but that kind of amateurish editing was just inexcusable. I'm actually surprised that they left in the Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong imitations in that number, as hardly anyone today would know who the birds were mimicking.

Fractal514

I think the MK is not a museum. I'm glad that they modernised some parts. Walt said he always wanted them plussing the attractions. The parks are supposed to be alive and evolving. So in thid case maybe the improvment wad a mistake (under new mgmt) but you aleays have to be careful when you look backwards for your future.

This is not the wdw of my youth.... And I'm glad, I've already been there.

Have you been drinking?

Communicore

I stopped by the tiki room today as well, and while the crowds seem to like it, I just like the fact that it is no longer "under new management" but the music has been edited and it seems strange and different! The people watching probably don't notice those deals but I do!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room was re-opened to day after a 6-month referbeshment, changing it back to they way it was 40 years ago.

I was fortunate enough to be there just long enough in WDW to catch the first show at 10:00am. It was great. The crowd was energetic and we all had a really good time.

I know some of you were their or even just watched wdwmagic's video of the ride. I want to hear your thoughts of it and how you feel about this change (i loved it by the way!)

(P.S., if you watched JeffLangeDVD.com's version, around 0:20 you here a kids screaming "I'M FIRST!", well, that was me)
The real test will be if that is true 5 years from now. I have a bad feeling that all Disney did was buy some fix a flat.

puntagordabob

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room was re-opened to day after a 6-month referbeshment, changing it back to they way it was 40 years ago.

I was fortunate enough to be there just long enough in WDW to catch the first show at 10:00am. It was great. The crowd was energetic and we all had a really good time.

I know some of you were their or even just watched wdwmagic's video of the ride. I want to hear your thoughts of it and how you feel about this change (i loved it by the way!)

(P.S., if you watched JeffLangeDVD.com's version, around 0:20 you here a kids screaming "I'M FIRST!", well, that was me)

LOL I was there too... here we are after the 10am show.....
6047773246_1508489644_z.jpg

Have you been drinking?

Seems like a distinct possibility

TropicalFig8

Well,looks like our work is done. Where's that person who set off the fire? We need to thank them. :ROFLOL:

Who wants to help me set Stitch on fire?

puntagordabob

Puntagordabob's take on the 8-15-2011 10am opening show at the MK today

6047773246_1508489644_z.jpg

Was a great morning at the MK....well with exception of the temperature being like the surface of the sun....but being a Floridian 30+ years now I know the summers are craptacular! Anyways the first "official" show of The Enchanted Tiki Room at the MK was at 10AM today and what a show it was!!!!

First the outside was packed with people wrapping around a portion of the Carpets spinner....
6047225105_5a4976f7d9_z.jpg

6047227361_ab3519ac91.jpg

First off the preshow...it was to perfection! I do wish they would have added something as a precurser to the waterfall scene that would have show the intimate connection Walt Disney had with the creation of the original sister attraction at DL....but still the preshow is a Winner! One minor request to the powers that be: A mini Dole Whip stand please and allow

Jose and his flock looked incredible...and I swear I did not hear the loud clicking of the AA movements.....perhaps this is simply because it was the first day of service or else they must have improved their insides! Anyone have any info???

The first thing I noticed was the fountain being missing.....of course I expected this with the soft-opening reports from yesterday. The smoke effect from the fountain "placeholder" was really limited and to be honest if you didnt pay attention you could actually miss it! Yep it was THAT fast and that limited! They really need to address the fountain replacement....it is really lacking..... I am curious if perhaps they have a plan to do some wizardry here in the future (I am a Glass Half Full kind of guy what can I say!)

The shortening of the show (also read about yesterday from those who attended the soft opening) was a little rough.... perhaps it was because I know the soundtrack by heart..... BUT I SWEAR the cuts and splices of the show were quite rough especially on how they ended the "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" number. Did anyone else who saw the show think this way as well?

My opinion on the shortening of the show is sort of mixed.... I am wondering if perhaps they plan to add perhaps an additional song in time (perhaps as part of a random rotation to keep things mixed up!) while retaining all of the shorter version of the show we heard today....would bring it back up to the duration of the Disneyland show I think.

CM Cris was there..... one of the coolest CMs our family has met in Adventureland..... so if he is on these forums we send Big greetings and thanks for the hospitality!

All and all I was very happy to see The Enchanted Tiki Room today....very happy that Walt Disney's name was attatched to it since our show never was before and I thought it always should have been. TDO deserves Salutes imho on this move... it may not be Perfect (the current DL show is very close imho!) but perhaps this is a good compromise for now as it allows us to get a great portion of the show so many of us love, and still allows TDO to get four shows inside the lower capacity Tiki Room (someone was saying today it was a Fire regulation or something so some seating is roped off now) per hour. Who knows when the show runs for a while perhaps they will revert to 100% of the DL show, or perhaps add an additional song (this is in addition to what we have now, not in place of....just clarifying!) random rotation.

So in conclusion.... the show is worth supporting....and I hope our community will do so for the many years to come....

Kuhio

I think the editing of this show is brilliant. __In fact, this version could be better than the DL original.

. . .

I also have no problem with them cutting the sing-along. This segment is often uncomfortable to watch at DL, with only a small portion of the audience participating.

Unlike at WDW, DL's Tiki is at the very front of Adventureland. In fact, it's practically on Main St. It may be the 2nd closest attraction to the front entrance (with Lincoln being first). Also, DL's Tiki is much smaller. So it's easier to pack the house.

At WDW, the odds are against there being a packed house (or even close to it) Without a packed house, the sing-along would be even more uncomfortable.

Short of closing it completely, I think WDW did the best they could with making Tiki relevant again.__

Completely agree with this (including the parts I left out of the quote for the sake of space). Over the years, I've never seen more than a small handful of people singing along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom