The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

Again, yes and no. There is no question that a random occurrence, a great story, gaming or thrill element encourages people to get on an attraction over and over again. The most successful attractions have more than one of those features. This is what makes a successful attraction in the eyes of the guys paying the bills. In the case of the Tiki Room a random element, such as a random set list of songs, would be the low hanging fruit that would keep the guest counts up.

I think part of the answer to this comes in the age old debate about the "Disney Storytelling". There are some great examples of rides with excellent stories, (POTC (pre-Jack Sparrow..), HM), that are timeless. The story is vague enough to where you can ride the ride over and over and over and over and never get bored! Even something like Soarin', the story is simply "you are soarin' over California". Then, there are story lines that are too specific, where the story is so laid out for you, you just sit back and watch. You are no longer a part of it, you are just being whisked around in it (Dinosaur being a good example). I still love the ride, being a huge fan of the parks, but the average guest is not going to want to ride it again. You know the story. You know the specific ending. I think people get more bored with that.

That being said, there are always exceptions! Splash Mountain has a great, detailed storyline, but it is done so well that you can ride it over and over.

David S.

My family first saw it in 1978, and we absolutely LOVED it! So much so that we went back three or four more times, and I made a point to buy the record album on my way out of the park. I've been listening to that soundtrack frequently for the past 33 years. My only gripe with that album is that it was a poorly-transferred recording in mono. They should have put the effort into it to make it a nice, clean-sounding stereophonic album.

I'm not sure if you already have this or not, but Walt Disney Records producer Randy Thornton included a clean, remastered stereo mix of the ENTIRE SHOW on the sublime masterpiece 6 CD boxed set, "A Musical History Of Disneyland", released in 2005 for DL's 50th. The set even includes Barker Bird audio and the complete Disneyland Tiki Room preshow prior to the track featuring the main show - just as you would experience it in the park!

This set includes the audio musical soundtracks (some, like Tiki, with dialogue) to almost every attraction in the history of Disneyland (many of which appear or have appeared in the Magic Kingdom), and even includes sound effects tracks from the attractions that aren't really musical experiences (such as the Horse Cars and Autopia). The set also includes a few BGM tracks, the holiday overlays, the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks, MSEP, and Fantasmic!

The set last just under 8 hours long with each disc filled to capacity. It is sequenced like a "concept album", recreating a complete day in Disneyland, exploring the park clockwise by "land", in near real time, minus the lines! Enhancing the "concept album" feel is that the tracks usually flow together with no silent breaks (like Sgt Pepper or a Pink Floyd album) to create a seamless listening experience.

I give this set my highest reccomendation to anyone who loves Disney theme park audio. I really hope WDW gets a set like this for its 50th!

A thorough review can be found at the link below:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/amusicalhistoryofdisneyland.html

I have a question for those who hated UNM (which is most everyone it would appear). I would like to know exactly what it was that you hated about it. Specifics.

Here is my view. I think the IDEA of UNM, having two birds from their movies take over management, is really neat. I am not for forcing characters into rides for self promotion, but in this case, I thought the idea was very natural. Obviously, I don't think Aladdin or The Lion King needed the promotion, so it didn't seem forced. I thought the idea of having the new management upset the balance was neat, and I thought Iago's song was pretty funny (the Aladdin tune). The downsides would be, yeah, Iago can be obnoxious and annoying, and he stole ALL of the attention of the show. I would have liked them to keep more of the original show before interupting it completely, and def try and keep some more of the music. But overall, the "story" of UNM actually seems really clever to me.

PS Yeah, I am sure this has been discussed a bunch on here, but humor me if you will :)

bhodge

I have a question for those who hated UNM (which is most everyone it would appear). I would like to know exactly what it was that you hated about it. Specifics.

Here is my view. I think the IDEA of UNM, having two birds from their movies take over management, is really neat. I am not for forcing characters into rides for self promotion, but in this case, I thought the idea was very natural. Obviously, I don't think Aladdin or The Lion King needed the promotion, so it didn't seem forced. I thought the idea of having the new management upset the balance was neat, and I thought Iago's song was pretty funny (the Aladdin tune). The downsides would be, yeah, Iago can be obnoxious and annoying, and he stole ALL of the attention of the show. I would have liked them to keep more of the original show before interupting it completely, and def try and keep some more of the music. But overall, the "story" of UNM actually seems really clever to me.

My thoughts exactly - I think it made it more engaging. And THAT WAS THE CHARACTER of Iago - ANNOYING and irritating -ok , maybe less of him and more of Zazou, but I think it was a creative way to bring in some current characters and make it different. I thought it was an interesting attempt to bring a modern story to a Disney "classic" I agree maybe it should have been a bit more of a "tug of war" between the two show styles culminating with the Hawiaan War chant where the ultimate showdown was decided by the polynesian goddess - Iago was "sent packing" and the birds also realized they could learn something, maybe try a new tune and close with an "updated" version of the theme song.

David S.

PS Yeah, I am sure this has been discussed a bunch on here, but humor me if you will :)

I can't speak for anyone else, and I didn't even dislike the new show like most on here did (although I MUCH prefer the original), but one thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that Iago interrupted the classic, beloved Sherman Brothers Tiki Room theme song and started making fun of it, and making fun the show itself (and by extension, those who love it). I think that's what really rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way.

It came out at a time when Eisner was "Eisnerizing" a lot of Walt's classics. Lots of classics had closed or were closing around this same time (20 K, World Of Motion, Horizons, Toad, Journey Into Imagination 1.0), and it almost seemed like a "cultural war" between Walt purists and the crass, brash, flashy, cynical, "hip and edgy", Hollywoodian style of attractions that Eisner seemed to be spearheading.

And I think the new Tiki Room symbolized this conflict in the fan community as it was SO OBVIOUS in its attempts to be "hip and edgy" while simultaneously mocking a beloved, charming, gentle Walt original.

If Iago could have at least let the original song play out, and not been as obnoxious or abrasive in making fun of the original, perhaps the concept, and show, would have been better received. Then again, subtlety and tact is not one of Iago's strong points! ;)

Personally, I still saw UNM regularly, simply because I loved the intro (before it got interrupted), and tried to simply block out and ignore Iago. I did enjoy the Tiki goddess and how she represented defending the spirit of the original show. After Iago got "zapped" I found the show more tolerable, even if the remaining Iago-free songs didn't capture the Polynesian vibe like the original show's songs did. (then again, many songs in CBJ Vacation Hoedown, like "California Bears" didn't fit the country vibe of the original Bear show, but I still enjoyed Vacation Hoedown).

But just to be in the atmosphere of my beloved Tiki Room, even with a lesser show than the original classic, was preferable to me than skipping it completely, because I love Jose, Michael, Pierre, Fritz, the Cockatoo Chorus, the other birdies, the flowers, and the Tikis too much to have not visited them. And those characters and elements still maintained some degree of their charm, even in their more limited roles.

Perhaps the biggest "irony" of all about UNM is that the last laugh is arguably on Iago, as the show seems to be saying it doesn't need to be tampered with by crass "hip and edgy" Hollywoodian hipsters - and yet a mere few minutes after "learning his lesson", Iago is back again trying to change the very next show! It was essentially a one-off joke, that went on too long, for 13 long years.

Like the Re-Imagineering articles other posters linked to above, I think Part Three of this article offers an interesting take on "Under New Management":

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-approach.html

I can't speak for anyone else, and I didn't even dislike the new show like most on here did (although I MUCH prefer the original), but one thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that Iago interrupted the classic, beloved Sherman Brothers Tiki Room theme song and started making fun of it, and making fun the show itself (and by extension, those who love it). I think that's what really rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way.

It came out at a time when Eisner was "Eisnerizing" a lot of Walt's classics. Lots of classics had closed or were closing around this same time (20 K, World Of Motion, Horizons, Toad, Journey Into Imagination 1.0), and it almost seemed like a "cultural war" between Walt purists and the crass, brash, flashy, cynical, "hip and edgy", Hollywoodian style of attractions that Eisner seemed to be spearheading.

And I think the new Tiki Room symbolized this conflict in the fan community as it was SO OBVIOUS in its attempts to be "hip and edgy" while simultaneously mocking a beloved, charming, gentle Walt original.

If Iago could have at least let the original song play out, and not been as obnoxious or abrasive in making fun of the original, perhaps the concept, and show, would have been better received. Then again, subtlety and tact is not one of Iago's strong points! ;)

Personally, I still saw UNM regularly, simply because I loved the intro (before it got interrupted), and tried to simply block out and ignore Iago. I did enjoy the Tiki goddess and how she represented defending the spirit of the original show. After Iago got "zapped" I found the show more tolerable, even if the remaining Iago-free songs didn't capture the Polynesian vibe like the original show's songs did. (then again, many songs in CBJ Vacation Hoedown, like "California Bears" didn't fit the country vibe of the original Bear show, but I still enjoyed Vacation Hoedown).

But just to be in the atmosphere of my beloved Tiki Room, even with a lesser show than the original classic, was preferable to me than skipping it completely, because I love Jose, Michael, Pierre, Fritz, the Cockatoo Chorus, the other birdies, the flowers, and the Tikis too much to have not visited them. And those characters and elements still maintained some degree of their charm, even in their more limited roles.

Well said. I agree with your whole post. I never hated the show; like you, I still saw it every trip! But I did feel the same disappointment about the lack of inclusion of the old show. Never thought about the making fun of the old show and the purist/new flashy conflict, but that's a very good point.

TropicalFig8

I never really "hated" UNM but having familiar faces all over MK and EPCOT annoys me and I was only 3 when I saw Tropical Serenade but I also saw the Tiki Room in Disneyland and loved it. WDW really deserves it because this is a once and a lifetime opportunity to get a classic attraction back. Things like that don't just happen every day. Well,except Captain EO but that was because there are many Michael Jackson fans.

Mansion Butler

The cynicism, the music, the characters, the forced synergy, the lack of anything interesting, and the disturbing treatment of one of my favorite attractions, and how they spent 13 years promising a new show and never delivered.

So, almost everything. I'm having trouble thinking of something I did like.

the-reason14

UNM wasn't bad really. I didn't 'like' it, and I didn't 'hate' it either. If anything it was just annoying with Iago's annoying voice. I saw the original show out in Disneyland a couple of years ago, and it was nothing amazing or great. A lot of people in that showing were actually sleeping, some were enjoying it though. It was refreshing since I was used to the UNM version and it'll be refreshing to see the original at the MK next week. But both shows are nothing to write home about.

thelookingglass

I saw it today, and has someone who had only seen the original Tiki Room once way back in 1994, and was indifferent to Under New Management, here are my thoughts:

- I really wish they would have kept the pre-show from UNM. This pre-show is atrocious.
- I understand why they shortened the show and I agree with their reasons, but it leaves the show feeling like it has no story or anything and the transitions from song to song are weird.
- I think they should not have reverted entirely to the old content. Like many have said, WDW is not and should not be a museum. It seems like a missed opportunity to mix some of the classic with something new (no, not Stitch or Iago).
- I say, keep the opening theme song, the tiki totem poles/drummers song, and the ending, but ditch the bird mobile and flower songs... yawn.
- The birds were all lit up as we entered the theater. Aren't they supposed to be concealed in darkness until the show starts so we don't see them sitting there, not moving?
- The sound seemed too quiet, which isn't surprising given that the Imagineers can't seem to figure out how to make the attractions loud enough to be effective anymore.

Enchantâmes

and you participated in the 5 month long argument so whats your point?

Same argument as 5 months ago:

stop-posting.gif

Spike-in-Berlin

I hated UNM and after one visit in 2007 I never did it again. Actually I complained about it at Town Hall. I couldn't stand how Walt's classic was made fun of in a mean-spirited way.
The music was completely wrong to the setting. You cannot call an attraction "The Tiki Room" and then there is not ONE tune that actually fits to the setting. They could have played Techno or Heavy Metal, it would have been completely misplaced too.
I loved the Tiki Room Song, it's a Disney park classic like Yoho Yoho, Grim Grinning Ghosts and It's a small world. UNM they didn't even let the birds bring the first refrain to an end and already that terrible, obnoxious, annoying PITA came down and interrupted what is actually the beautiful Main Theme of the entire attraction. I was absolutely flabbergasted and then, when I realized that I wouldn't hear the song anymore very disappointed and angry. And to make it worse followed a number of songs that had absolutely nothing to do with the South Seas setting, Tiki culture, Polynesian Pop or anything that is part of the Tiki Room. They didn't change it, they annihilated it and nothing remained of the old charme.
And all the time you had to hear this terrible voice screaming through the room.
In 40 days I will be back and the Tiki Room (after getting FP for JC) will be the first thing to do when we go to MK (on the evening of arrival or when too late, the first full day). But we will stay in WDW for 16 days so I am sure I will visit it at least once during every MK-stay.

puntagordabob

I think Walt would be frustrated that there was a step forward - maybe not the BEST step, but an attempt at something new and using new effects and technology - then to take a step BACKWARD (I know it's "retro") I think would be at odds with his mantra of change, push the envelope and continuously evolve.

Walt would have never considered UNM a step forward..... he would have never released something that would have literally insulted the Guests with their dialogue. As a fan of the original show I took offense to Iago's comments....

We had the original and people wanted something new. We had UNM and people wanted the original. We have the original and people want it changed....

Which goes to show you that there is a number of people who are never satisfied...lol

Just to underscore the point, the previous three "new" attractions to open at WDW are actually "old":

Tiki Room
"New" Star Tours
Captain EO

Great for the fanboys, unremarkable for the majority of guests.

Star Tours? What are you thinking? lol

As for the fanboys comment... its like everything else at WDW...there is stuff for EVERYONE.... If you are a fan of the Tiki Room then this show is more for you...if you do not like the show then go find something you like.....and do not be surprised if there is a group of people who are not fans of something you like.....and to them the choice is also the same...go find what you like...

....BUT do not assume that you speak for the majority in this one instance...

But what about the instance in which the current/"new" attraction is nearly unanimously considered inferior to a better-loved, better-designed, yet historic version of the same attraction? Would not the relatively simple act of reverting back to the original version be, in fact, an improvement?

I'm as big a fan of new and well-designed attractions as anyone. I'm also a fan of positive and innovative changes to historic attractions (Haunted Mansion 2007, Spaceship Earth 1994, Hall of Presidents 2009). But if I had to choose, as in this instance, between a modern attraction that is crass and ill-fitting to the Disney brand, or a "historic" attraction that is by most considered charming and a hallmark of Disney quality, then I will go with the latter every single time.

+1!!!!

Again, yes and no. There is no question that a random occurrence, a great story, gaming or thrill element encourages people to get on an attraction over and over again. The most successful attractions have more than one of those features. This is what makes a successful attraction in the eyes of the guys paying the bills. In the case of the Tiki Room a random element, such as a random set list of songs, would be the low hanging fruit that would keep the guest counts up.

Makes me wonder if the shortening of the show was meant to open the possibility of adding (not removing anything that is there now lol) a new random song (from a playlist) into the show later to give it that....and perhaps they will use the centerpiece (which could be changed from its current almost fogless state lol) in that part of the show.....

:)

The show insulted me for loving the original version.... literally Iago did this if you recall his dialogue.

The Iago and Zazu AAs were like Giants amongst the others.....

The Tiki Goddess was cool as far as the tech...but she sounded like she was from the Carribean rather than Polynesia.....

Iago's voice was too loud......and not really a fan of Godfreid's voice when it is screaming at you the entire time

The cynicism, the music, the characters, the forced synergy, the lack of anything interesting, and the disturbing treatment of one of my favorite attractions, and how they spent 13 years promising a new show and never delivered.

So, almost everything. I'm having trouble thinking of something I did like.

Thats not true....there is one part you liked...and I know this because it was the only part I liked...and that was when the doors opened to allow us to ESCAPE IAGO'S SHOW!!

ONE thing that is funny about the UNM show is that Zazu warned Iago that if he tampered with the show that the Tiki Gods were going to torch him....in the end that reality is far funnier and stranger than the fiction is it not? :)

Welcome Back Jose! I met him for the first time as a five year old boy in December of 1971 at the MK.....he gave me my first Disney Magical Memory and for that I owed him much....but now that he has HIS show back, perhaps the debt I have had since I was so young has been repaid at least a little.... and even though Jose and his flock are simply AA figures, to me they always have and always will be my friends...and for a breif Magical Moment on Monday I was truly five years old again singing like the birdies sing.....

BrerPete

Just was there two days ago and saw the New Old Original Enchanted Tiki Room. All I can say is, "my siestas are getting chorter and chorter!"

gerryu21220

I'm not sure if you already have this or not, but Walt Disney Records producer Randy Thornton included a clean, remastered stereo mix of the ENTIRE SHOW on the sublime masterpiece 6 CD boxed set, "A Musical History Of Disneyland", released in 2005 for DL's 50th. The set even includes Barker Bird audio and the complete Disneyland Tiki Room preshow prior to the track featuring the main show - just as you would experience it in the park!

Yes, I have Randy Thornton's version. He also released it earlier as part of the "Wonderland" CD series of old Disneyland Records titles which came out before the Musical History set (2004?). I was not happy with what Mr. Thornton did to the audio, adding a funky reverb that was not in the original tracks, making the lead birds sound like they're waaay off in the distance and their voices echo on the other channel like they were in a tunnel. It really annoys me. In 2003, I released a restored version compiled from the Disneyland Forever series that preserves the original sound quality as "Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - A 40th Anniversary Retrospective."

-----------------

- I understand why they shortened the show and I agree with their reasons, but it leaves the show feeling like it has no story or anything and the transitions from song to song are weird.

Why does it need a story? It's just a show - a variety show performed by birds, flowers, and tiki gods. No story required.

aladdin2007

Yes, I have Randy Thornton's version. He also released it earlier as part of the "Wonderland" CD series of old Disneyland Records titles which came out before the Musical History set (2004?). I was not happy with what Mr. Thornton did to the audio, adding a funky reverb that was not in the original tracks, making the lead birds sound like they're waaay off in the distance and their voices echo on the other channel like they were in a tunnel. It really annoys me. In 2003, I released a restored version compiled from the Disneyland Forever series that preserves the original sound quality as "Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - A 40th Anniversary Retrospective."-----------------

Why does it need a story? It's just a show - a variety show performed by birds, flowers, and tiki gods. No story required.

Please help, how or where can we find it? I want it!! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom