The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

Skyway

In case you were wondering, the entire show now clocks in at 11:50 (the original was 17:25 and the current DL show is 13:40)

The WDW show ends just as the bird of paradise flowers on the wall begin their fast-paced chant in the original show (concidentally at the exact spot where they edited the WDW version jumping from the flower baskets to the birds of paradise)

When compared to the current DL show, the WDW who ends just as the tiki poles do their last chant in the finale ("Hear them do the chant!")

While I agree that WDW was smart to trim the show even shorter than DL's version to improve the pacing, some of the cuts seem like unnecessary work on their part just to shave off 1:50.

I wonder if they really do want to squeeze in 4 shows an hour. To those who work at WDW, are they strict about taking counts on the hour? Or do they average the counts from the entire day? I guess by removing that extra 1:50 they squeeze in 1 or 2 additional shows per day.

Also, does the WDW show start automatically? Originally the DL Tiki Room had to be manually started by pushing a button. In the mid 90's the show was automated to run itself. So unless there was an emergency E-Stop, once the first show began at 10am, it would not shut off until it closed for the day. That improved the hourly count and gave CM's motivation to get one audience out and move the next one in. (I noticed the WDW CM's are immediately telling the audience to get "on your feet". It does seem like they are rushing to turn over the audience. Under the 4-shows-an-hour scenario, they have just 3 minutes and ten seconds after" Hi Ho" ends to get that group out and have the next group seated.)

Mad Stitch

I absolutely don't appreciate the cut section with "landing on the the ladies hat" however. To alter the title song is a great mistake because it is a classic and you don't change a classic only because of some unhumorous, bullheaded political correct treehuggers or PETA fanatics.

Try "'cause if we don't make you feel like that, we're gonna end up on a lady's hat!" You’re upset the original lyrics were cut, yet you don't even know what they were? :rolleyes:

cwolnowski

Disney Imagineering stated that the "new" Tiki Room attraction was going to be a tribute to Walt Disney's vision of the Tiki Room, so it should come to no surprise that it is significantly similar to the original Disneyland attraction. I had wished that they would've added an end finale number that could've been sort of a modern tune (because in watching the video posted the other day, I had forgotten how dated the music was), but I'm not complaining.

Despite the music being dated, I'm glad they brought the original attraction back. While I agree it probably won't appeal so much to guests who aren't familiar with its history and nostalgia, nor will kids place it at the top of their favorite attractions list, it is important to understand that the opening of the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland in 1963 was Disney's first real attempt at audio animatronics and this vision began with Walt buying a toy bird in New Orleans and wanting it to talk. Just look how far Disney has come in those nearly 50 years. History like this is important ... and to experience the original show (albeit slightly modified) is important.

puntagordabob

What would make you think TDO would even consider adding a song as part of a random rotation?

Is there a rumor about that or just armchair Imagineering?

Armchair..... even my wife was like it was too short lol

. (I noticed the WDW CM's are immediately telling the audience to get "on your feet". It does seem like they are rushing to turn over the audience. Under the 4-shows-an-hour scenario, they have just 3 minutes and ten seconds after" Hi Ho" ends to get that group out and have the next group seated.)

There was a large line yesterday even after the first showing......so there were a lot of people outside the queue area and there is no cover out there....and it was a scorcher (lol typical summer day hehe) for those out in the direct sunlight

Oddysey

I have to agree. While I am a big fan of the show and am happy to see it return in mostly its old form...there was a reason that it closed down in the first place. The show was far from popular and often played to near empty houses back then. I could see this being a temporary fix for something completely different later on. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the show there in 10 years playing to nearly empty houses once again.

I went and saw the show last night. I hate being so negative, but it will be empty much sooner than that. I watched the audience reaction throughout the show, and it was a bit disheartening.

I saw little kids squirming and constantly talking almost 2 minutes into the show. I witnessed one child ask to leave (sitting behind me) and his family obliged. I saw teenagers playing with smart phones, and paying little attention at all. Although teenagers playing with smart phones happens in most attractions. In 1962 I am sure this show was amazing to all ages, but in 2011 it does not hold up anymore.

The show was nice for me on a nostalgic level, but UNM did a better job of capturing today's audience, and keeping their attention for a longer time. I know I will be burned for this, but minus Iago's annoying voice, UNM was a more entertaining show. I know UNM was playing to small audiences, and a new show was needed. However, in my opinion, the current version will become stael even sooner.

On another interesting note, while I was in line a young girl about 9 or 10 years of age was explaining to her parents how Iago and Zazu were part of the show they were about to see. She expressed her excitement for seeing them, and I eavesdropped on her conversation with them after the show. Each family member complained that the show was "boring", and the young girl was bewildered by the fact that Iago and Zazu were missing. I personally did not like the Iago AA, but thought I would share the story because I found it a bit interesting.

LeafsFanNL

Ami I right in thinking the soft opening period is over and it is running. I'll be there on the 30th and am looking forward to it.

HB

J.E.Smith

(I noticed the WDW CM's are immediately telling the audience to get "on your feet". It does seem like they are rushing to turn over the audience

Actually I think they're doing that so the birds' "As long as you're all standing" line makes sense. The CMs did the same thing all the time for UNM, when Iago told the audience to "get on their feet" nobody actually did it, so the CMs always instructed everyone to stand up before Micheal said "As long as you're all standing.(I've seen YouTube videos where the CM actually walks around the center of the room gesturing people to stand up)

bhodge

I agree completely

went and saw the show last night. I hate being so negative, but it will be empty much sooner than that. I watched the audience reaction throughout the show, and it was a bit disheartening.

I saw little kids squirming and constantly talking almost 2 minutes into the show. I witnessed one child ask to leave (sitting behind me) and his family obliged. I saw teenagers playing with smart phones, and paying little attention at all. Although teenagers playing with smart phones happens in most attractions. In 1962 I am sure this show was amazing to all ages, but in 2011 it does not hold up anymore.

The show was nice for me on a nostalgic level, but UNM did a better job of capturing today's audience, and keeping their attention for a longer time. I know I will be burned for this, but minus Iago's annoying voice, UNM was a more entertaining show. I know UNM was playing to small audiences, and a new show was needed. However, in my opinion, the current version will become stael even sooner.

On another interesting note, while I was in line a young girl about 9 or 10 years of age was explaining to her parents how Iago and Zazu were part of the show they were about to see. She expressed her excitement for seeing them, and I eavesdropped on her conversation with them after the show. Each family member complained that the show was "boring", and the young girl was bewildered by the fact that Iago and Zazu were missing. I personally did not like the Iago AA, but thought I would share the story because I found it a bit interesting.

This hits on my point exactly and why I dont see the joy over this returning in its "historic" form

Oddysey

For those of you complaining I'm sorry but its back and its here to stay so get used to it. :wave:

I for one am not complaining, but stating my opinion of the new (old) show. I really dont have to "get used to it" because I wasn't spending much time in the Tiki Room UNM, and I wont be spending any more time in the current version. In other words, it really does not matter to me what they do with it because it rarely is a part of my visit to the MK.

After my experience last night, I am trying to look at the new attraction objectively. I grew up with the original Tiki Room, and I do have nostalgic feelings for it. It was fun for me to go in, and relive my childhood for a little while, but that is really about it.

The problem is that most of todays audience do not connect with the show on a nostalgic level. When taking of my glasses that were clouded by nostalgia, and watching the audience, I realized the show simply does not hold up anymore. If it didn't hold up in 1995, it certainly will not hold up in 2011. It is not a complaint, but an opinion.

Neverland

I wonder if they really do want to squeeze in 4 shows an hour. To those who work at WDW, are they strict about taking counts on the hour? Or do they average the counts from the entire day? I guess by removing that extra 1:50 they squeeze in 1 or 2 additional shows per day.

Also, does the WDW show start automatically? Originally the DL Tiki Room had to be manually started by pushing a button. In the mid 90's the show was automated to run itself. So unless there was an emergency E-Stop, once the first show began at 10am, it would not shut off until it closed for the day. That improved the hourly count and gave CM's motivation to get one audience out and move the next one in. (I noticed the WDW CM's are immediately telling the audience to get "on your feet". It does seem like they are rushing to turn over the audience. Under the 4-shows-an-hour scenario, they have just 3 minutes and ten seconds after" Hi Ho" ends to get that group out and have the next group seated.)

The counts are looked at by hour, not averaged from the whole day. Each attraction has a target number that it's expected to hit each hour. So I don't think the extra 1 or 2 shows a day really count for much.

I'm not sure if it runs automatically... I know Philharmagic doesn't run itself. I'd have to get a peek at the panel in the Tiki theater to know if there is indeed a 'go' button. And I think the rushing thing is just WDW attractions in general. Efficiency and numbers are pushed VERY hard to CMs.

Captain Neo

My only complaint would be that they really should have brought the fountain back. That's just TOO stingy. Otherwise, smart move on Disney's part bringing back a more classic version and getting rid of the "under new management" version which was just obnoxious and made Disney look bad.

bhodge

What would Walt say

I just re-watched the UNM video - and while it wasn't great. I JUST don't see the hate for it. It was more technologically current, told a story, seemed to engage the audience (at least the one in the youtube video) and it brought current characters into the fold. I will say - it was time for a refresh of that show - maybe some new songs, maybe a softer Iago (since he'd learned his lesson) but after all this place (WDW) is a business designed to engage guests, entertain them, and create the desire to want to spend money. As much as you guys think its just about your warm and fuzzy feelings, its about that and more. The UNM show was a step in the direction of tie-in and product synergy - like it or not that's what they're here for folks.

I think Walt would be frustrated that there was a step forward - maybe not the BEST step, but an attempt at something new and using new effects and technology - then to take a step BACKWARD (I know it's "retro") I think would be at odds with his mantra of change, push the envelope and continuously evolve.

Enchantâmes

I for one am not complaining, but stating my opinion of the new (old) show. I really dont have to "get used to it" because I wasn't spending much time in the Tiki Room UNM, and I wont be spending any more time in the current version. In other words, it really does not matter to me what they do with it because it rarely is a part of my visit to the MK.

After my experience last night, I am trying to look at the new attraction objectively. I grew up with the original Tiki Room, and I do have nostalgic feelings for it. It was fun for me to go in, and relive my childhood for a little while, but that is really about it.

The problem is that most of todays audience do not connect with the show on a nostalgic level. When taking of my glasses that were clouded by nostalgia, and watching the audience, I realized the show simply does not hold up anymore. If it didn't hold up in 1995, it certainly will not hold up in 2011. It is not a complaint, but an opinion.

Its back, get used to it and accept it.

HMF

I just re-watched the UNM video - and while it wasn't great. I JUST don't see the hate for it. It was more technologically current, told a story, seemed to engage the audience (at least the one in the youtube video) and it brought current characters into the fold. I will say - it was time for a refresh of that show - maybe some new songs, maybe a softer Iago (since he'd learned his lesson) but after all this place (WDW) is a business designed to engage guests, entertain them, and create the desire to want to spend money. As much as you guys think its just about your warm and fuzzy feelings, its about that and more. The UNM show was a step in the direction of tie-in and product synergy - like it or not that's what they're here for folks.

I think Walt would be frustrated that there was a step forward - maybe not the BEST step, but an attempt at something new and using new effects and technology - then to take a step BACKWARD (I know it's "retro") I think would be at odds with his mantra of change, push the envelope and continuously evolve.

This should explain why New Management was near-universally hated
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2007/02/be-yourself.html

CJR

Its back, get used to it and accept it.

That's rude. I'm sure that person does accept it. They have every right to state their opinion and that should also be accepted.

It's not my cup of tea, but there's nothing wrong with the show being there. Some people won't like it. I think it's good that Walt Disney's classic attractions are still around. Does that mean I'll like it and see it? No. BUT, it's more than welcome in my opinion. There are plenty of other rides and shows for me to ride on/see and enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom