The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

gerryu21220

Neverland

Also, does the WDW show start automatically? Originally the DL Tiki Room had to be manually started by pushing a button. In the mid 90's the show was automated to run itself. So unless there was an emergency E-Stop, once the first show began at 10am, it would not shut off until it closed for the day. That improved the hourly count and gave CM's motivation to get one audience out and move the next one in. (I noticed the WDW CM's are immediately telling the audience to get "on your feet". It does seem like they are rushing to turn over the audience. Under the 4-shows-an-hour scenario, they have just 3 minutes and ten seconds after" Hi Ho" ends to get that group out and have the next group seated.)

I asked a Tiki CM today, because I was curious (I had never heard that about DL's before, and I'm also an attractions geek who has to know how things work). He told me that there is indeed a show start button. I'm sure that they're supposed to keep to a pretty strict schedule, but a CM does physically start the show. :)

CRO-Magnum

Just returned from WDW...

...and it was great to revisit the classic Enchanted Tiki Room. It really shines above the "Under New Management" version of the past several years. I do think they should push the envelope and try creating sequel, perhaps setting it after a vacation or the following day or something. New songs, same personalities.

And what about a holiday version?

I just feel overall Disney doesn't make their shows dynamic enough. The technology has been around for 20+ years and only good example I can think of is Star Tours 2.0, and it's still not as dynamic as it could be.

David S.

And what about a holiday version?

GREAT idea! Unfortunately, I doubt it would happen, seeing as how they won't let the Bears present their holiday show anymore, and the trend seems to be towards packaging all of the holiday entertainment in the MK into "exclusive" upcharge after-hours events (until right before Christmas thru the end of the holidays when it becomes free for everyone).

And of course people will also say that the MK can't do holiday overlays like Disneyland does because WDW is majority-tourist, and having the attraction down to change it to the holiday version would "ruin once in a lifetime vacations" ;)

But I personally agree with you that a holiday Tiki show would be GREAT, as Christmas is my fave holiday by a mile. I'd also love to have the Country Bear Christmas show back, and get It's A Small World Holiday as well, while I'm dreaming! :xmas:

aladdin2007

Saw the show today, beautifully restored, new sound spot on perfect. It does lack without the fountain, the fog is a joke really tts like either do it or dont, dont halfway puff and it just appears to be a bandage. The audience clapped after each song and seemed to really be into the show though. Sadly though it has been wittled down to practically nothing, it felt like 5min. But nice to have it back in some original form and it looks the best it ever has.

Does anyone recall the original fountain having citrus oranges in the plants?? I was thinking it did before UNM? It would have been a nice exotic touch.

tirian

Saw the show today, beautifully restored, new sound spot on perfect. It does lack without the fountain, the fog is a joke really tts like either do it or dont, dont halfway puff and it just appears to be a bandage. The audience clapped after each song and seemed to really be into the show though. Sadly though it has been wittled down to practically nothing, it felt like 5min. But nice to have it back in some original form and it looks the best it ever has.

Does anyone recall the original fountain having citrus oranges in the plants?? I was thinking it did before UNM? It would have been a nice exotic touch.

I'm a huge fan of the original soundtrack—including Offenbach—when it's played on my computer or in my headphones. But these shows must be created for the average guest, not a Disneyphile; and in person, the original show was a bit too long. You sat on a bench and watched birds rotate side-to-side for 17 minutes. I also think the current version at Disneyland needs to be edited. The "Birdies" singalong is awkward, as no one participates, and the flowers seem to sing forever before the war chant finally picks up.

The original show was pre-Beatles. Today we're post-AC/DC. Except for the fountain elimination, I really like the new edit at the MK as a "general public" version, and I hope the cuts reduce walkouts. :D

Now about that fountain... :fork:

thelookingglass

Saw the show today, beautifully restored, new sound spot on perfect.
Based on my experience, I disagree. It sounded clear, but was way too quiet.

Also, can someone clear up if the birds are supposed to be concealed by darkness when you enter the room and then later "revealed" when the show begins, so you don't see them sitting motionless?

Enchantâmes

People, This isn't going anywhere....

Now agree to disagree and

128893408826417261.jpg

Communicore

There were a lot of first timers in the show I attended and no one except for me and a few got up when everyone was supposed to and the CM was practically begging for the people to get up!

aladdin2007

There were a lot of first timers in the show I attended and no one except for me and a few got up when everyone was supposed to and the CM was practically begging for the people to get up!

I noticed this yesterday. All they have to do though is open the doors and people start getting up and leaving and then everyone else follows, usually. I dont see why cast has to be so pushy about it, it comes across like a circus as if were animals or something. What is the big deal about the time card in there now, never use to be that way.

Also the line that forms outside is total chaos, people making their own lines wherever they want, blocking the walkway between the carpets and tiki room entrance and people trying to barge through with strollers. They need some management with this. It was awful. Why dont they queue a line along the left side?

Communicore

Also during the pre-show they only had the first two tiers open, then when the line formed, that was the only time the CM decided to open the other tiers.

Neverland

Also during the pre-show they only had the first two tiers open, then when the line formed, that was the only time the CM decided to open the other tiers.

Yeah, I noticed that the other day, too. The CM had opened all of them except the last one. Everyone was squeezed in like sardines, and then they opened the last tier, to let the last 10 stragglers to wander in have plenty of space. I'm not sure if it's preference or policy. Speaking from experience, I HATE packing pens/staging areas (and guests hate being packed), so if I worked Tiki, I'd have all the tiers open to give people as much space as possible.

Oddysey

Anything new about the Tiki Room yet?

This is a difficult question to answer, but I will try and answer it.

If you consider old to be new then the answer is yes, everything is new.

If you consider old to be old then the answer is no, there is nothing new.

Does this clear it up for you?

Tom

Beta Return
Saw it on August 27. My wife had never seen the original. I had seen it about a million times before UNM.

I will say that I was underwhelmed. I think it could have been more if they had upgraded the audio and amplification system. It sounded like they were playing it off an old record, through computer speakers.

At least when they had the big numbers in UNM, the place rocked. I was expecting the old soundtrack on the new sound system. If they're hoping to cater to both the traditionalists AND the current generations, they should have at least tossed in an adequate sound system, and perhaps some of the theatrical lighting from UNM.

Otherwise, it did at least bring back memories. Just not enough for me to visit it more than once, unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom