The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

aladdin2007

Saw it on August 27. My wife had never seen the original. I had seen it about a million times before UNM.

I will say that I was underwhelmed. I think it could have been more if they had upgraded the audio and amplification system. It sounded like they were playing it off an old record, through computer speakers.

At least when they had the big numbers in UNM, the place rocked. I was expecting the old soundtrack on the new sound system. If they're hoping to cater to both the traditionalists AND the current generations, they should have at least tossed in an adequate sound system, and perhaps some of the theatrical lighting from UNM.

Otherwise, it did at least bring back memories. Just not enough for me to visit it more than once, unfortunately.

We thought it sounded fantastic, the best it has in years. Maybe it was an off day or they are playing with it? It was a tad underwhelming as well from the lame smoke effect in the middle and being a bit short.

Tom

Beta Return
We thought it sounded fantastic, the best it has in years. Maybe it was an off day or they are playing with it? It was a tad underwhelming as well from the lame smoke effect in the middle and being a bit short.

Maybe we were sitting in a dead spot. We entered the room, went left, and walked all the way around toward the exit doors. When sitting, the exit doors were immediately on our left, and the rain window was immediately behind us.

gerryu21220

I think they may have adjusted the sound in the preshow a bit (I remember barely being able to understand Clyde on opening day), but that's all I noticed.

Yeah, I noticed on all the videos that the voices were difficult to hear over the noise of the water.

As for the show itself - even though I've only seen it in videos - sounds incredibly good - better than it ever has - especially compared to older footage of the original. Clean, clear, loud, and crisp.

Scuttle

I experienced the Tiki room yesterday. It is great, these negative reviews are nonsense. UNM was an absolute joke and lacked Disney magic. This new version has Disney magic aplenty. One thing I noticed was how well synchronized the birds beaks moved while singing. It's a great show. The length is perfect as well. In fact me and girlfriend thought everything about it was perfect. The one and only thing I miss is hartmans voice during pre show. I will definitely be doing it again down the road.

aladdin2007

I experienced the Tiki room yesterday. It is great, these negative reviews are nonsense. UNM was an absolute joke and lacked Disney magic. This new version has Disney magic aplenty. One thing I noticed was how well synchronized the birds beaks moved while singing. It's a great show. The length is perfect as well. In fact me and girlfriend thought everything about it was perfect. The one and only thing I miss is hartmans voice during pre show. I will definitely be doing it again down the road.

Were they still making people queue outside the turnstyles out in the sun creating traffic deadlock in the walk way between tiki and carpets? That was really my only complaint with the whole thing, it was a mess and was something they never did before the redo.

Scuttle

Were they still making people queue outside the turnstyles out in the sun creating traffic deadlock in the walk way between tiki and carpets? That was really my only complaint with the whole thing, it was a mess and was something they never did before the redo.

No, but yesterday was one of the slowest days I have ever seen at the MK. Which is saying a lot since I'm a passholder and live only 30 miles away, but no we were all queued into the regular queue watching the waterfall.

DABIGCHEEZ

This is nonsense. The birds beaks SHOULD be well synchronized.. it just was refurbed/replaced. Having seen the original show a few times, and UNM many times... returning to this original show makes it downright BORING and painful to watch. UNM was much more entertaining and kept everyone into it and was a great mix. My wife and kids(6,11,12) all agreed we liked the UNM much much more and can skip the Tiki Room next time. :eek:

Only enjoyment we got out of it this time around was the air-condition!!! :D

gerryu21220

This is nonsense. The birds beaks SHOULD be well synchronized.. it just was refurbed/replaced. Having seen the original show a few times, and UNM many times... returning to this original show makes it downright BORING and painful to watch. UNM was much more entertaining and kept everyone into it and was a great mix. My wife and kids(6,11,12) all agreed we liked the UNM much much more and can skip the Tiki Room next time. :eek:

UNM sucked. Big Time. That's why they didn't reinstall it after the fire. Everyone hated it, and TDO knew it. I hated, loathed, and DESPISED UNM. It was a tasteless, annoying travesty.

This version is only roughly half of the original show. I'd hate to hear what you thought if you had to sit through the entire original! If you don't like it, don't see it. Simple as that.

I would give anything to have the COMPLETE original show back. I can enjoy that one over and over, as I have enjoyed listening to the show soundtrack for the past 35 years or so.

gerryu21220

Thanks for the suggestion but we have already decided that it is easily a skippable attraction next time we go to MK. Just think back a few year when all the hate was out for UNM... you could have followed your own suggestion, no?

The last time I actually saw the show in person (March, 1997), it WAS still the complete, original Tropical Serenade. Once I learned how they ruined the show with UNM (via online videos and audio), I never went there again. Had no desire to see it. Now I will gladly go see it when I get down there again. Half the original show is better than none.

Scuttle

Also EVERYONE was into it. My girlfriend and I actually looked around the room and noticed absolutely everyone from 3 year olds to senior citizens were into it.

Communicore

I was at Tiki Room today and there were only about 20 people when I got in, and some dude even started snoring while the show was going on, and most of the people ran to the exit way before the "we have a wonderful magic trick for you" line was finished!!

Spike-in-Berlin

Liking UNM is as wrong as liking the 2000 Imagination. Though 2000 Imagination is still far worse.

It's not "wrong", it's a different opinion. I hated the UNM as much as possible and I am soo glad they returned a version of the original show (shorter, but most cuts find my appreciation) but I accept of course that some people, with a more..let's say DIFFERENT taste, preferred that obnoxious, distasteful abomination called UNM.

Spike-in-Berlin

I was at Tiki Room today and there were only about 20 people when I got in, and some dude even started snoring while the show was going on, and most of the people ran to the exit way before the "we have a wonderful magic trick for you" line was finished!!

So what? At the moment there should be a very low attendance at the parks in general, I remember last year we were there exactly at this time and the parks were EMPTY, even major rides like HM were sometimes walk-ons.
And of course it is possible that during one show there are only average day guests there, that don't appreciate more magical, slower attractions because they expect a thrill ride around every corner.

Tom

Beta Return

That sort of happened when we were there...the exit part. As soon as they said to stand up, people started walking to the doors and actually pushed them open. The CM had to run across the room and tell them not to open the doors.

The ending is very confusing. Anyone who has ever been to a movie or theater show instinctively knows that when the house lights come up, you're free to go. If they want to do the "stand up" thing, they need to keep it dark until the doors actually open. In my opinion.

puntagordabob

At least when they had the big numbers in UNM, the place rocked. I was expecting the old soundtrack on the new sound system. If they're hoping to cater to both the traditionalists AND the current generations, they should have at least tossed in an adequate sound system, and perhaps some of the theatrical lighting from UNM.

Sounded awesome when we were there on the 15th...

\ UNM was much more entertaining and kept everyone into it and was a great mix. My wife and kids(6,11,12) all agreed we liked the UNM much much more and can skip the Tiki Room next time. :eek:

Not sure what planet you are visiting from but I would like to be the first to Welcome you to Earth!

Also EVERYONE was into it. My girlfriend and I actually looked around the room and noticed absolutely everyone from 3 year olds to senior citizens were into it.

Yep....same as it is at Disneyland....the Guests almost make it into a mini party! It is really emotional for me to see the young kids all the way up to grandma & granpa all sitting together having a Great Time at the Tiki Room!! A truly Generational experience.....

Now when your panties get untangled from the bunch they are in you may understand your opinion of something is not the only opinion out there.:shrug: I just prefer things to be improved when changed and not taken back to something that was fresh in the 1970's that all. We will be skipping this one from now on. .

He is trying to explain to you Dabigcheez that while I respect your right to your opinion , your view on this is STILL an anomaly since the overwhelming majority (here and simply at the parks for the everyday Guests) seem to really enjoy the Tiki Room alot more that Jose is Back in Charge...... As for you skipping the attraction..Good More room for the rest of us! :)

The Tiki Room at the MK is once again Under Walt's Management with Jose in Charge... if TDO has been paying attention then I imagine they might actually be learning something about quality here...give the Guests Quality entertainment with everything running 100% in pristine condition and everyone will Win.

DABIGCHEEZ

As for you skipping the attraction..Good More room for the rest of us! :)

First off PuntaGordaBob... thanks for the welcome. :rolleyes: That really hurts!

Problem is you will not need me to skip this attraction to make more room for you. Will most likely be only 1/2 to 2/3 full at any given time during peak times. Honestly, stretch out and relax while your in there and enjoy the show. I am really happy you and the others do enjoy it.

Oh and Scuttle... I know the addiction is strong and it is hard to comprehend that people disagree with you. I do not care that you say most guests like it... I am just telling you what I think. You do not know what I or my family likes.

Really, again it may be difficult for you to understand, but this really is not about who is right/wrong or which version is better. It is about which show me and my family prefer...that is all. If you can not understand that then you have a problem.

rioriz

Been to Disney World over 50 times and never saw this show! Was excited to see the "original" show this weekend and I have to say I loved it! The entire theater was packed and everyone seemed to love it! I have to say Kudos to TDO for bringing back this classic version!

Fable McCloud

So, my parents and I went to WDW for the first time in October '08 and saw the "Under New Management" show. I was devastated. I expected the original show and was really disappointed.

When my BF and I went this year in Feb. the attraction was closed down because of the fire, and we were spared. He has never seen the original attraction and Tropical Serenade in person and neither have I. Now we have something to look forward to when we go in 2013, a Tiki Room that is just like the one from my Sing-A-Long VHS from the 80's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom