The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

dreamscometrue

Thanks for the info...I like to hear what longtime 'Tropical Serenade' fans think. I also like the family photo at the beginning. You all look ready for the show! :)

P.S.- one more post and you'll have 1000! :)

Kuhio

When I submitted this particular article, it held the title "You All Know the Words."

I suspected that "Tiki Tacky" wasn't the original title Kevin gave to the article.

Although I didn't agree with the article for the most part (IMO the edits generally made the show stronger), I thought its criticisms were not unreasonable.

My problem with the title is that it immediately comes off as something someone thought was immensely clever -- a pun that was saved and treasured for months, just anticipating the day when the yet-to-be-written article about the re-opening of the Tiki Room would be published.

You see this kind of thing a lot with movie reviews -- titles punning on the movie's name, which are neither particularly clever nor funny. The unfortunate thing is that these editorial tweaks tend to not only inspire eye rolling at the editor's self-evident self-satisfaction, but also increase the likelihood that the reader will disregard the article itself -- which is often unfair because the article itself may be well-written and worth reading.

Expo_Seeker40

Have always been a fan of the original tiki room, went to the grand reopening and the only thing to me that sucked (besides me eating my dole whip) was the smoke-ama-thing in the middle of the room. The edited down tropical serenade 2.0 does not bother, especially in this fast paced world. Almost fell asleep watching the entire original disneyland version filmed in 1994 on youtube. Can't believe I lasted through the whole thing as a kid.

The show looks great cosmetically. Amazing how fresh it looks. Especially like the enhanced weather effects through the windows. Also, the lighting really enhances the feathers of the birds, you can see them "breathe" better.

In all, glad we have an edited version, but also appreciate classic tiki sans offenbach out in anaheim.

HMF

When the Imagineers say "Everything in the parks has a story", I don't think they mean that it has to be a literal, complex, narrative. It can mean "story" in a simpler sense, simply defining what something is, and why it is the way it is.

So, the "story" of the Tiki Room could be that deep in the heart of Polynesia, there is a wonderous, enchanted room where birds sing songs. The room is so enchanted, that eventually the flowers and tikis join in the singing and celebrating. This creates such a rukus that "the gods are angered by all the celebrating", and cause a storm, ending the show.

Not as complex a story that would be needed to fill up a movie, but still a "story", from a certain point of view. I guess they could use the word "concept" here instead, if you prefer.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2006/11/myth-of-story.html

aladdin2007

I suspected that "Tiki Tacky" wasn't the original title Kevin gave to the article.

Although I didn't agree with the article for the most part (IMO the edits generally made the show stronger), I thought its criticisms were not unreasonable.

My problem with the title is that it immediately comes off as something someone thought was immensely clever -- a pun that was saved and treasured for months, just anticipating the day when the yet-to-be-written article about the re-opening of the Tiki Room would be published.

You see this kind of thing a lot with movie reviews -- titles punning on the movie's name, which are neither particularly clever nor funny. The unfortunate thing is that these editorial tweaks tend to not only inspire eye rolling at the editor's self-evident self-satisfaction, but also increase the likelihood that the reader will disregard the article itself -- which is often unfair because the article itself may be well-written and worth reading.

Yep Id say a certain someone couldnt wait to present it in a negative manner with that title, just read his caption at the top of the main page. Which is sad because Kevins articles are well done and I enjoy them, but I just hate going to that site anymore. I didnt agree with the article either but at the same time the review was not unreasonable, well said and stated. But the title change was poor choice.

HMF

I am a frequent "complainer" about TDO and when they do things on the cheap but in this case, I will say that though having the fountain would be nice i am not going to lose sleep over it and the edits were nicely done and I think appropriate to keep the show from running too long for most guests but the "Tropical Serenade" is back and the ugly Animatronic cockfight is gone. I understand that the DL show is a tiny bit better but complaining when TDO actually does something right for a change is very un-productive and yes I think Al Lutz whom I agree with on a lot of things sabotaged the title purely to make WDW look bad even when it does something right..

Pioneer Hall

The real test will be if that is true 5 years from now. I have a bad feeling that all Disney did was buy some fix a flat.

I have to agree. While I am a big fan of the show and am happy to see it return in mostly its old form...there was a reason that it closed down in the first place. The show was far from popular and often played to near empty houses back then. I could see this being a temporary fix for something completely different later on. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see the show there in 10 years playing to nearly empty houses once again.

Magenta Panther

Now that...that...THAT is Disney!!!!! I practically teared up while watching that video. Some sanity has been restored to the Kingdom at last. THANK YOU TDO!!!!

(Yet another reason - besides the Haunted Mansion refurb - to plan another trip to WDW as soon as possible!!!!)

puntagordabob

As it is, I just think they trimmed it way too much. The current Disneyland version seems to be "just right" to me. This version ruins the flow of the show with jarring edits, and dilutes any build-up to the finale. Hopefully they will tweak it some to make it feel more like a complete show rather than the "Reader's Digest" version.

The other sore point seems to be the lack of the Enchanted Fountain. There was no *real* excuse not to reinstall it, and upgrade it to do some new tricks during the other numbers to add visual interest. The plumbing could easily have been re-run under the attraction. Remember, you're on the second level with a basement network beneath the Magic Kingdom.

Good points for sure...

9 29am is after 10am show??:ROFLOL:

Sorry couldnt resist :wave:

It was my daughter's camera....think it was set for Central time for some reason as I noticed that too lol

David S.

Right, I don't disagree with that article. In fact that is what I was trying to get at - that every attraction doesn't have to have a complex, plot-based "beginning, middle, and end" type of narrative "story". But that the word "story" can also be used to describe aspects of the attractions that aren't as narrative-based, and are more atmosphere-based (like Tiki and Pirates) simply to define what they are, like "concept" or "backstory". So Pirates Of the Carribean doesn't have to have a complex linear "story", but it does have some form of "story", in the sense that "pirates attack a Spanish town, dunk the mayor, burn the town down", etc.

I wasn't attempting to comment on whether attractions with a strongly defined narrative story were inherently better than the more atmosphere-based ones with a more loosely-defined story. I honestly enjoy both styles. I was just trying to articulate what Ignohippo may have meant by using the word "story" in connection with the Tiki Room, and what I meant when I used that word previously.

IMO, whether you want to use the word "story", "backstory", "theme" or "concept" is just a question of semantics, like some of the comments following that article stated. Whatever word you want to use to describe "IT", without "IT" we wouldn't have the Disney parks as we know them.

TalkingHead

My opinion on the shortening of the show is sort of mixed.... I am wondering if perhaps they plan to add perhaps an additional song in time (perhaps as part of a random rotation to keep things mixed up!) while retaining all of the shorter version of the show we heard today....would bring it back up to the duration of the Disneyland show I think.

What would make you think TDO would even consider adding a song as part of a random rotation?

Is there a rumor about that or just armchair Imagineering?

Mansion Butler

That made me so happy. For years I daydreamed about the Tiki Room someday coming back, but never really thought it would happen. It was always second on my list of attractions I miss, and figured that was that.

I saw the real thing today, in Florida, and it was glorious. I could have cried it was so unbelievable.

I actually like most of the trimming. My one issue with the old show was it was a little overlong. They've fixed the one flaw. I miss Michael(?) leading the audience in "Let's All Sing," but oh well.

And the fountain, but I'll pass up the fountain for no more Iago.

That was just so awesome. The Magic Kingdom is a better park today than it was yesterday, and I have one more place to stop by when wandering the park.

The Duck

Since this was the very first attraction that my family and I experienced on our first WDW trip in 1975, this has become a sentimental favorite of mine. My father (now deceased) had never seen anything like the Tikis in his life and couldn't stop talking about it to friends, neighbors and co-workers for months after we came home. Today, I spent part of my evening watching YouTube videos of the new/old show and I felt that I had to share it with my 87 year old mother. While I played one of the videos for her, I found myself starting to break down and cry. All of my memories of my family (especially my father) enjoying the original show came rushing back and I barely kept my composure. Thank you WDI, TDO and everyone else responsible. The show may be a bit shorter than previous but frankly, I don't care. The spirit of the original show has returned and I feel optimism about WDW's future like never before. I just wish that I didn't have to wait until late January for my next visit.

ChristianG

Since this was the very first attraction that my family and I experienced on our first WDW trip in 1975, this has become a sentimental favorite of mine. My father (now deceased) had never seen anything like the Tikis in his life and couldn't stop talking about it to friends, neighbors and co-workers for months after we came home. Today, I spent part of my evening watching YouTube videos of the new/old show and I felt that I had to share it with my 87 year old mother. While I played one of the videos for her, I found myself starting to break down and cry. All of my memories of my family (especially my father) enjoying the original show came rushing back and I barely kept my composure. Thank you WDI, TDO and everyone else responsible. The show may be a bit shorter than previous but frankly, I don't care. The spirit of the original show has returned and I feel optimism about WDW's future like never before. I just wish that I didn't have to wait until late January for my next visit.

That story, right there, made me tear a little! I'm glad that you have great memories of WDW and your father :)

I agree with you about WDW's future. It's like a little hope came to be when this re-opened!

I think the Tiki Room is timeless. It should appeal to all generations. Im not old by any means and can certainly find the fun and charm in this attraction. I dont get this "modern audience" reference that people keep bringing up. Anyone from any generation CAN appreciate something like this.

You have to look at it from the point of someone who's not a Disney fan. A family who are taking probably their first trip or maybe their only trip. Will they find this show memorable and appealing? Probably not. The Disney newcomers and average vacationers don't care about Disney legacy and nostalgia. They came for their kids and to let them see Mickey and The Princesses. There's a reason Disney throws Princesses and Pixar everywhere and that's cause Disney World has a larger number of one or two time guests and those are the characters and things you want to see.

I say this because my family and I are Disney addicts and I do freaking love the redo or undo...of the Tiki Room. But whenever we invite other members of our family or friends down they don't ever care about the Tiki room or the Carousel of Progress. All these classic rides are reported back to us as "kiddy" or "boring". This may not be want any of us Disney addicts want to hear but that's how some of these rides are looked at and viewed by average them park goers.

I by all means support the changes made but it just wouldn't surprise me now if the Tiki room was written off as what many of my other friends/family called a "break from the heat".

Spike-in-Berlin

That would not surprise me one bit. After all they did something similar to justify getting rid of 20k. I had no problem with them taking a step back to a better core show concept but in doing so they should have improved on it in the process. From what I see on the video and have heard from reports they have done exactly the opposite. Same show only shorter, no fountain, and no effects improvement. I can only hope that what is there is not the finished project.

The erupting volcano effect behind the "windows" is new and nice.

Spike-in-Berlin

After I saw the video I have to agree with most posts.

There are GOOD cuts and there are BAD cuts.

Good is that they took out the Offenbach Barcerole. Not only because it made the show too long but it was always the only part of the show I didn't like at all because it didn't fit into the South Seas setting. All songs were either composed new for the Tiki Room (the title song e.g.) or were classic tunes of Tiki culture (Hawaiian War Chant). What had a 19th century opera tune based on some Italian gondoliers to do with Polynesia and Polynesian Pop? Gone for good.

VERY good is also that they cut the "sing along" part of "Let's all sing like the birdies sing". It's of course quite funny that the official WDW-page writes quote "Even the audience gets into the act, joining in during the ditty "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing." unquote and then that's exactly what they cut out.
But I knew it nearly never really happened (even I never did) and it made the song too long and created some awkward silent moments. So I totally agree about finally removing that ill-fated section too.

I absolutely don't appreciate the cut section with "landing on the the ladies hat" however. To alter the title song is a great mistake because it is a classic and you don't change a classic only because of some unhumorous, bullheaded political correct treehuggers or PETA fanatics.

I also don't like that they cut about 20 seconds from the first part of the Hawaiian War Chant (called sometimes "Tiki Room luau"). These 20 seconds didn't make the song too long but created a better flow of the music and the cut is obvious and done badly.

I am quite sad about the missing enchanted fountain but it actually doesn't make a lot of sense without the barcerole-scene so I understand WDI and TDO not bringing it back. The smoke and light effect near the climax of the Hawaiian War chant, that is done in the room center instead however is quite underwhelming, could be much denser and better.

I greatly appreciate the erupting volcano effect in the "landscape" behind the "windows" however. It is a typical Tiki element, was and is still used in a lot of Tiki bars and is a beautiful addition. I always loved the weather effect with the storm, thunder and lightning and the volcano is a great addition.

To sum it up. I am VERY glad that the Tiki Room is back in it's old glory and the positive changes easily weight out the few negative. I would have liked some changes that really plus the show without damaging it's classic elements, e.g. a better cueueing area, a different pre-show or something like that. But I still always prefer the classic to the abomination that was destroyed by the anger of the Tiki gods.

I cannot wait to finally see one of my all-time favorites and if everything goes on as planned I will be there in late september. I always feared that I would have to visit DL to see the original show again and I am so glad they brought it back to WDW. Thanks to the Tiki gods that finally burned that terrible, annoying, obnoxious, yelling Iago to cinders!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom