The Edison--details announced

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Feb. 17. It seems the construction work on The Edison has slowed down again. Other than the scaffolding being removed from the upper part of the main building and some exterior work, not much can be seen. The lake side of the building is still open to the elements. The "tunnel" work under and on either side of the bridge has not significantly progressed.

IMG_9192.JPG

IMG_9194.JPG

I am Timmy

I've been reading about the Edison in Los Angeles, it looks amazing! Seems a bit racy for Downtown Disney, but I'm sure that has already been addressed or they wouldn't be building it. Also, there seems to be a dress code for the one in LA, has anyone heard anything about this new one? I don't normally pack nice clubbing clothes for my family trips to Disney World, but I REALLY want to see this place!

Magenta Panther

Photo update as of Friday, Feb. 17. It seems the construction work on The Edison has slowed down again. Other than the scaffolding being removed from the upper part of the main building and some exterior work, not much can be seen. The lake side of the building is still open to the elements. The "tunnel" work under and on either side of the bridge has not significantly progressed.

View attachment 190183

View attachment 190185

Am I correct in describing the building style as Art Deco? Whatever it is, it looks neat!

Slowjack

Am I correct in describing the building style as Art Deco? Whatever it is, it looks neat!
It's sort of a smoothed-out late-period Art Deco. The original Art Deco architecture was a lot busier (hence the "decorated" term). For example:
replica_mickeys2.jpg

(From a Yesterland article on the architecture that inspired Disney-MGM). The Edison is more inspired by what followed Art Deco, the Moderne or Streamline Moderne style; a simpler style that removes a lot of the ornamentation and is more "rounded" than "pointy" like the early Art Deco.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I should've known but I can't remember what was posted over a year ago ;)

It seems they will have the dance club aspect that's been rumored.

I am surprised save PI didn't know about this. I sent him a direct link to the plans.

There plans are from before the project stalled out so it's possible that the plans have changed, but I would expect the basic layout to stay the same.

Rteetz

I am surprised save PI didn't know about this. I sent him a direct link to the plans.

There plans are from before the project stalled out so it's possible that the plans have changed, but I would expect the basic layout to stay the same.
Yeah that is surprising they didn't know about this already. They are usually on top of these things.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah that is surprising they didn't know about this already. They are usually on top of these things.

I just took a look, and it turns out I did send him the plans back then but the blog post he did about it was only for the Tunnels part but did link to my original post on this. So I guess he also forgot!

britain

It's sort of a smoothed-out late-period Art Deco. The original Art Deco architecture was a lot busier (hence the "decorated" term). For example:
replica_mickeys2.jpg

(From a Yesterland article on the architecture that inspired Disney-MGM). The Edison is more inspired by what followed Art Deco, the Moderne or Streamline Moderne style; a simpler style that removes a lot of the ornamentation and is more "rounded" than "pointy" like the early Art Deco.

Art Deco is super clean compared to what came before it: Beaux Arts and Victorian. You can definitely see the trend toward Moderne, and then International Style.

TP2000

I've been reading about the Edison in Los Angeles, it looks amazing! Seems a bit racy for Downtown Disney, but I'm sure that has already been addressed or they wouldn't be building it. Also, there seems to be a dress code for the one in LA, has anyone heard anything about this new one? I don't normally pack nice clubbing clothes for my family trips to Disney World, but I REALLY want to see this place!

It was alleged that this sort of operational thing may have been part of what stalled/delayed the project. How do you get the Orlando locals and Disney tourists to dress up and behave (and spend) like Los Angeles hipsters?

When your whole business model is selling $24.00 cocktails and $36.00 charcuterie plates to the fashionable in-crowd obeying a strict dress code, how do you translate that business model to a shopping mall in Orlando?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom