The Downtown Disney Thread

Consumer

So what are the last remaining stores/ restaurants from opening day DTD and which is the most unchanged? I’d say the Lego Store and the Jehovas Witnesses stand. Then you have World of Disney, Marcelines(?), Starbucks(?), Wetzels? Oh ya Naples too. Tortilla Joes is on its way out. Ralph Brennan’s is unrecognizable.
Why is there a Jehovahs Witness stand in DTD?

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Ah yes Sephora. Wow so pretty much like 4-5 places. What existed where the Starbucks is ? Sounds like Lego Store/ Marcelines are the closest to opening day.
It was Blink by Wet Seal (Remember them?):
1686454379338.png

The Lego Store got a pretty hefty remodel about 2012ish to add the Disney statues and give it a new more contemporary style inside. I recall it was temporarily moved into what became Wonderground shortly after (and I have absolutely no memories of what was in there before that, maybe someone like @TP2000 can jog my memory?)
1686454598828.png

mickEblu

Why is there a Jehovahs Witness stand in DTD?

The way I remember it being explained is that it’s Public property so it’s allowed. I could be wrong but it also has to have something to do with being a religious thing. I don’t think I could just show up with a lemonade stand.

mickEblu

It was Blink by Wet Seal (Remember them?):
View attachment 722832

The Lego Store got a pretty hefty remodel about 2012ish to add the Disney statues and give it a new more contemporary style inside. I recall it was temporarily moved into what became Wonderground shortly after (and I have absolutely no memories of what was in there before that, maybe someone like @TP2000 can jog my memory?)
View attachment 722833

Haha I remember Wet Seal in general and wow, I could have sworn the Lego Store has looked that way since 2001.

etc98

Oh and it’s not really a stand. Two people just sit there with table (I think) with some pamphlets on it.
Is it actually inside Downtown Disney? Or are they set up on the sidewalk outside the entrance?

If they’re on the sidewalk that would make sense since they’re on public property, nothing Disney can do about it. If they’re actually inside, I would be surprised Disney lets them stay.

mickEblu

Is it actually inside Downtown Disney? Or are they set up on the sidewalk outside the entrance?

If they’re on the sidewalk that would make sense since they’re on public property, nothing Disney can do about it. If they’re actually inside, I would be surprised Disney lets them stay.

Inside Downtown Disney. Yeah, it’s weird.

TP2000

I recall it was temporarily moved into what became Wonderground shortly after (and I have absolutely no memories of what was in there before that, maybe someone like @TP2000 can jog my memory?)

You rang, ladies?

The Wonderground space was originally Island Charters from 2001 to the 2010's. It was kind of an odd fit for Anaheim, as it was sort of a Caribbean/Florida themed beachy nautical store. I remember they sold expensive tropical shirts and various "beach" and "sailor" decor items that looked out of place in SoCal.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did now that I type this, so maybe it had a weird tourist clientele that couldn't tell their St. Augustine from their Santa Barbara or their Gators from their Grunion?

It was explained to me once that Downtown Disney's walkway is technically a public thoroughfare, which is why religious groups can set up a table. It's also why smoking is still allowed in Downtown Disney, because you can still smoke on city sidewalks and public spaces.

SevenSevens

There are weird rules about shopping malls and shopping centers when it comes to free speech. For certain activists they are treated like public areas. The argument being that shopping malls have taken the place of the historic "public square."

milordsloth

It's also why smoking is still allowed in Downtown Disney, because you can still smoke on city sidewalks and public spaces.
Last time I tried smoking in Downtown Disney I was confronted by security who said smoking is only allowed outside of the security checkpoints. That was a few years ago now, before covid.

TP2000

Last time I tried smoking in Downtown Disney I was confronted by security who said smoking is only allowed outside of the security checkpoints. That was a few years ago now, before covid.

You're right. Smoking is now banned in Downtown Disney entirely.

It's my habit of living almost entirely in the past, which gets worse for me with every passing year. :rolleyes:

SSG

Regarding the religious folks in DTD, Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) basically held that under the California Constitution, individuals may peacefully exercise their right to free speech in parts of private shopping centers regularly held open to the public, so long as they aren't disruptive.

This was narrowed by Ralphs Grocery Co. v. United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 8, 55 Cal. 4th 1083 (2012), to those with areas analogous to public gathering areas such as plazas, atriums, or food courts.

My take is Disney doesn't interfere with these folks as long as they do not try to encourage people over to their displays. I've been past these tables dozens of times and not once have I ever been called to or solicited. They seem to just sit there and only engage with people who voluntarily approach them.

TrainsOfDisney

Regarding the religious folks in DTD, Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) basically held that under the California Constitution, individuals may peacefully exercise their right to free speech in parts of private shopping centers regularly held open to the public, so long as they aren't disruptive.

This was narrowed by Ralphs Grocery Co. v. United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 8, 55 Cal. 4th 1083 (2012), to those with areas analogous to public gathering areas such as plazas, atriums, or food courts.

My take is Disney doesn't interfere with these folks as long as they do not try to encourage people over to their displays. I've been past these tables dozens of times and not once have I ever been called to or solicited. They seem to just sit there and only engage with people who voluntarily approach them.
Yes, this is nothing new although this trip is my first time seeing the second table near the monorail stop.

Back to downtown Disney in general…. Can we force Disney to keep earl of sandwich at the current location? It’s so nice to grab a caprese sandwich when park hopping!

AJFireman

Take it for what its worth. I was eating at the Earl Tavern bar and both the manager and bartender said that they expect to be in the new location in about 6 to 7 months. The new location will have both the quick service and Restaurant / Bar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom