The Downtown Disney Thread

Consumer

The Downtown Disney remodel reminds me of the Hollywood and Highland mall. I hate this trend of removing character and fun from everything.
1683220458112.png
1683220470404.png

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
1683066336951-png.714186

What? This is a thing? Why?!?

Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of a minor Pele' fan, but only because I was alive and watching TV in the 1970's and remember when everyone in the Smart Set was saying how soccer was going to take over the USA and become America's Pastime for the 1980's and beyond. In the Carter years I even attended a few Seattle Sounders games with stylish friends and I wore a jaunty striped rugby shirt (yes, different sport, but in the 70's we didn't ask too many questions, it was more about theme and tone) and at the games I drank some rather dark imported beer that was kind of gross, trying to get in the spirit of the thing. But then... nope.

Although the soccer craze of '77-'78 came and went, Pele' seemed like a genuinely good person and a great ambassador for that failed sports concept. And now he has a store? In Downtown Disney? Why? Who is the target demographic for this? And... why? 🤔

Must be getting forgetful as the years go on, this discussion was had already in this very thread by you not more than 17 months ago.....

Its not just you. I thought the exact same thing.

Who is the customer base for this soccer store? Why only… Soccer? This is the Disneyland that is in Anaheim, not Belgium or Brazil or Belarus.

That said, I hadn’t heard the name Pele in decades. I remember in the late 1970’s when soccer had a brief fad of popularity amongst white, upper-middle class families in this country. Pele was a big deal back then. Is he still alive? Or are his kids and grandkids just licensing his name?

But really… A soccer store? Why?

And for a few dozen of the 75,000+ people that visit the Disneyland Resort each day?

I love that! Well done! 😂

Pele was a soccer star, famous in the 1970’s when soccer had a brief American interest, roughly during the same years as Disco and about as successful as Disco long-term. Pele had just one name. Like Cher.

Unlike Cher, I hadn’t heard his name in decades until now.

TP2000

Must be a pretty lonely store. I guess if your kid needs new shin guards for the next day's game after you return from vacation and you don't have a car this might work.

Exactly. The photo here shows it just that; empty. A very odd choice for Downtown Disney.

When a tourist from Seattle or Sydney or Seoul goes to Southern California, they buy poseur surfwear from stores like Curl Surf.

I can't imagine anyone coming home from a long-distance SoCal vacation and saying "I brought you a surfer soccer shirt from Cali!"

Soccer remains one of the most popular sports in the world and is typically the number one sport for international visitors.

Yes, completely true. But as the scenario above lays out, is it really something Southern California is known for among tourists going to Disneyland and wanting to buy some souvenirs from "Cali"? Knowing the DLR tourist demographics (Western states and provinces, Pacific Rim countries) , it seems a very odd choice for the relatively limited retail space available in Downtown Disney.

Last edited:

TP2000

Must be getting forgetful as the years go on, this discussion was had already in this very thread by you not more than 17 months ago.....

Oh, you don't even know! You should see how many boxes of Panko breadcrumbs I now have stocked in my pantry because I absolutely refuse to write a grocery list and yet I'm forgetful and I keep convincing myself I'm desperately low on Panko breadcrumbs so I MUST buy more.

I do vaguely remember discussing this Pele' store topic back in 2021, now that you mention it. But that was pre-opening and there wasn't a picture of the (rather empty) store. The photo here spoke a thousand words we didn't have in 2021.

But seriously, if anyone needs Panko breadcrumbs, let me know. I can FedEx three or four boxes.

TP2000

I suspect it was a package deal to get the shop into Orlando. There's also a Pele store in Disney Springs, which has a more international and football mad clientele. I was there in February on my WDW trip and it was crammed with German and Brazilian tourists.

I bet you're right. It was probably a deal to get them into Disney Springs. Which makes much more sense with all the Brazillians at WDW.

But still, Brazillians go to WDW to get a big dose of Americana. I would imagine it would be far more interesting and exotic for them to use their souvenir funds at an NFL or NBA or MBL store that screams Americana, rather than the same soccer gear availalble to them at their local mall back in Brazil.

If the target audience for these Pele' stores are foreign tourists who follow soccer, wouldn't they want to buy something they can't get at home when they are on their big USA vacation "holiday"?

And I also recall those early Sounders days in the Kingdome. Although I was too young for the dark beer then :cool:

I had no idea we were at the Kingdome together! Wasn't that a unique little era in US sporting life?

The late 70's were right when Jim Zorn became so popular with the Seahawks and the Kingdome really was hopping year-round. My mother's father was a huge proponent of getting the Kingdome built in '76, and he rallied his fellow Swedish-American businessmen of the day from around Puget Sound to the cause. He was just so damn proud of that facility when it opened with the Bicentennial. He got us several box seats for various games in the 70's and early 80's.

Thank goodness he was long since gone by the time it was imploded, as it would have killed him.

As for the beer, it's funny what you remember. It was such a talking point that the beer stands at the Kingdome switched to offering something that wasn't Oly or Ranier for the Sounders games. For the life of me I can't remember what brand of dark beer it was, but it was clearly NOT Rainier. It was so exotic back then!

No disrespect for Rainier or Olympia though. I did the Oly brewery tour in Tumwater once, and I loved those Rrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiinniiiieeeer! beer commercials with the motorcycle screaming off into the distance.

Truly a different time. Sad to see what downtown Seattle has become now. I'm just glad all my old relatives are long gone, as they'd just be furious to see the condition of Seattle's downtown areas now. From the 1962 World's Fair and all its promise, to.... this.

Last edited:

truecoat

1683066336951-png.714186

What? This is a thing? Why?!?

Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of a minor Pele' fan, but only because I was alive and watching TV in the 1970's and remember when everyone in the Smart Set was saying how soccer was going to take over the USA and become America's Pastime for the 1980's and beyond. In the Carter years I even attended a few Seattle Sounders games with stylish friends and I wore a jaunty striped rugby shirt (yes, different sport, but in the 70's we didn't ask too many questions, it was more about theme and tone) and at the games I drank some rather dark imported beer that was kind of gross, trying to get in the spirit of the thing. But then... nope.

Although the soccer craze of '77-'78 came and went, Pele' seemed like a genuinely good person and a great ambassador for that failed sports concept. And now he has a store? In Downtown Disney? Why? Who is the target demographic for this? And... why? 🤔

Money laundering?

NobodyElse

That would certainly make more sense than Pele'.

Or a SoCal Sports store that offers Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, Chargers, Angels, Ducks, USC, UCLA, etc., etc. merchandise. Especially the Lakers and Dodgers, those are truly global brands that tourists would buy.

BTW, I totally agree that a SoCal Sports Team store makes even more practical sense than just an Angels store. It would cover all the bases (slightly unintentional pun left fully in tact). It would be a one-stop shop for many tourists. (Unless teams have some sort of delicate superstitious objection to their merch being displayed right next to their rivals.)

Some tourists enjoy picking up items from local teams as souvenirs. Anecdotally, when I was in Munich last year, I noted four FC Bayern stores just in the old-town area itself.

And in the Sol area of Madrid, here are the directions from one Real Madrid store to another. ;)
1683328980452.png

And a few years ago we had relatives visiting from Norway, so we let them use our Angels season tickets we had at the time. They came out of there with jerseys, foam fingers, and who knows what else.

So, a Pele store doesn't quite seem logical to me, but I also clearly don't fully understand the specialty retail mindset. Like, who's buying high-end luggage once you've already made it through security at Tom Bradley terminal...?

TP2000

And a few years ago we had relatives visiting from Norway, so we let them use our Angels season tickets we had at the time. They came out of there with jerseys, foam fingers, and who knows what else.

As an old Swedish-American, there's a Norse joke somewhere in there. But I'll let the more clever Swedes here come up with it. :cool:

So, a Pele store doesn't quite seem logical to me, but I also clearly don't fully understand the specialty retail mindset. Like, who's buying high-end luggage once you've already made it through security at Tom Bradley terminal...?

I don't get that either. I have purchased the odd passport wallet or zipper pull in the Tom Bradley Tumi store store on occasion, but the full range of luggage? The mind boggles at who they think their consumer demographic is inside a 21st century airport sealed off from society.

I'm with @SSG on this one, I think this odd Pele' store at Downtown Disney was just a part of a contractual obligation to secure the more coveted WDW store, in order to fill some empty (and still empty) retail space out in Anaheim. And yet, even in WDW, who is their target audience of foreigners from soccer-loving lands who have just spent a minor fortune to travel to the USA to buy American souvenirs?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
And yet, even in WDW, who is their target audience of foreigners from soccer-loving lands who have just spent a minor fortune to travel to the USA to buy American souvenirs?
I'm from a soccer-loving land, not a huge soccer fan myself though, I only follow Italy's Serie A, AS Roma.

Some time ago, a friend knew I was visiting Orlando and asked me if I could get him an AC Milan jersey. I found it at the Disney Springs Pelé Store at a much better price than if he bought it down here. Needless to say, he was very grateful.

Perhaps 'better prices' is one of the reasons why foreign visitors buy at Pelé Stores in the US. Licensed soccer team jerseys are super expensive locally.

TP2000

I'm from a soccer-loving land, not a huge soccer fan myself though, I only follow Italy's Serie A, AS Roma.

Some time ago, a friend knew I was visiting Orlando and asked me if I could get him an AC Milan jersey. I found it at the Disney Springs Pelé Store at a much better price than if he bought it down here. Needless to say, he was very grateful.

Perhaps 'better prices' is one of the reasons why foreign visitors buy at Pelé Stores in the US. Licensed soccer team jerseys are super expensive locally.

Fascinating! So these foreign soccer jersey's are cheaper at Pele' stores in American super-touristy areas like WDW or Disneyland than they are in their home countries? I wonder why that is? Other than simple free-market economics, obviously.

I don't have much to add, except that I owned an Alfa Romeo Spider from 1990 to 1994. It was a gorgeous car! So.... Grazie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom