The Downtown Disney Thread

MoonRakerSCM

As for the beer, it's funny what you remember. It was such a talking point that the beer stands at the Kingdome switched to offering something that wasn't Oly or Ranier for the Sounders games. For the life of me I can't remember what brand of dark beer it was, but it was clearly NOT Rainier. It was so exotic back then!

No disrespect for Rainier or Olympia though. I did the Oly brewery tour in Tumwater once, and I loved those Rrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiinniiiieeeer! beer commercials with the motorcycle screaming off into the distance.
Saw this and it reminded me of a funny thing from a few years back. This was maybe.... 10?.... years ago?

I was on a invite field trip with my department chair and some other students. We had driven up through Oregon into Washington and were staying at my dept chairs mother's house (near Ellensburg on the back side of the Cascades). She had a beautiful house in a small canyon with a creek... we did some geologic mapping and fishing... had a great time. My dept chair bought some Rainier beer... and got it extra cold. We smoked some fish that night by the creek and he shared the Rainier with us... he went on and on about good ole times... growing up drinking Rainier... and how it was still a great local beer and how much he loved it. I recall looking at the can... and reading the back side of it...

"Jon, this says it was brewed in Irwindale"

"WHAT!!?!?!?"

Heh.

Parteecia

... "Catal will be transformed into an upscale, gourmet Mexican restaurant called Paseo with a culinary concept created by Michelin-star chef Carlos Gayton — who owns Chicago’s Tzuco restaurant."...

Because heaven knows you can't find decent Mexican food in SoCal.

NobodyElse

Saw this and it reminded me of a funny thing from a few years back. This was maybe.... 10?.... years ago?

I was on a invite field trip with my department chair and some other students. We had driven up through Oregon into Washington and were staying at my dept chairs mother's house (near Ellensburg on the back side of the Cascades). She had a beautiful house in a small canyon with a creek... we did some geologic mapping and fishing... had a great time. My dept chair bought some Rainier beer... and got it extra cold. We smoked some fish that night by the creek and he shared the Rainier with us... he went on and on about good ole times... growing up drinking Rainier... and how it was still a great local beer and how much he loved it. I recall looking at the can... and reading the back side of it...

"Jon, this says it was brewed in Irwindale"

"WHAT!!?!?!?"

Heh.
That reminds me of being in a sushi bar years ago and ordering a Kirin or Sapporo (I forget which one). Sure enough, it was imported - all the way from the Molson plant in Canada.

Phroobar

... "Catal will be transformed into an upscale, gourmet Mexican restaurant called Paseo with a culinary concept created by Michelin-star chef Carlos Gayton — who owns Chicago’s Tzuco restaurant."...

Because heaven knows you can't find decent Mexican food in SoCal.

All the best Mexican food is found in Chicago.

Phroobar

Ate there once. The fajitas weren't bad but way overpriced at $30 bucks for like 5 bites of steak. This was back in 2021 right after the parks reopened. I can only imagine what the prices are now.
Isn't there still an El Torito down the street on Ball?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has announced a new spot called The Alley!, which will be located next to Splitsville Luxury Lanes, is coming soon to Downtown Disney.

Coming soon: The Alley!
The Alley

The courtyard next to Splitsville Luxury Lanes is being transformed into an exciting space — The Alley — with interactive games, live music, lounge areas and seats for dining. This summer, you can relax, play games and create memories in this fun new spot, and enjoy all the delicious food and beverage offerings from Splitsville.

TP2000

Disney has announced a new spot called The Alley!, which will be located next to Splitsville Luxury Lanes, is coming soon to Downtown Disney.

The Alley

The courtyard next to Splitsville Luxury Lanes is being transformed into an exciting space — The Alley — with interactive games, live music, lounge areas and seats for dining. This summer, you can relax, play games and create memories in this fun new spot, and enjoy all the delicious food and beverage offerings from Splitsville.

So.... this is the open area between Splitsville and Tortilla Jo's, correct? Directly in front of the third mega-restaurant pad (supposed to be where Planet Hollywood went) that has never been used or built on?

wp-1644614897956.jpg

If so, not a bad use of vacant space. Especially if Tortilla Jo's is about to shut down and be rebuilt into something new for '24 or '25.

The only downside is that the menu is being provided by Splitsville, which is like eating at a TGIFridays having kitchen problems.

Parteecia

The Alley

"...plus masterful Mexican cuisine by Michelin-starred Chef Carlos Gaytán at Paseo and Céntrico..."

2 Mexican restaurants? I suppose Tortilla Jo's will become Céntrico.

Personally the one restaurant I may actually eat at is Porto's.

mickEblu

So what are the last remaining stores/ restaurants from opening day DTD and which is the most unchanged? I’d say the Lego Store and the Jehovas Witnesses stand. Then you have World of Disney, Marcelines(?), Starbucks(?), Wetzels? Oh ya Naples too. Tortilla Joes is on its way out. Ralph Brennan’s is unrecognizable.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
So what are the last remaining stores/ restaurants from opening day DTD and which is the most unchanged? I’d say the Lego Store and the Jehovas Witnesses stand. Then you have World of Disney, Marcelines(?), Starbucks(?), Wetzels? Oh ya Naples too. Tortilla Joes is on its way out. Ralph Brennan’s is unrecognizable.
Starbucks didn't open until about 2012-ish. Wretzel's and Marcelines were there from Day 1. Not on your list, but Sephora also opened with DTD.

They've all had remodels at some point, but I think Marceline's is the one that most resembles it's 2001 appearance?

mickEblu

Starbucks didn't open until about 2012-ish. Wretzel's and Marcelines were there from Day 1. Not on your list, but Sephora also opened with DTD.

They've all had remodels at some point, but I think Marceline's is the one that most resembles it's 2001 appearance?

Ah yes Sephora. Wow so pretty much like 4-5 places. What existed where the Starbucks is ? Sounds like Lego Store/ Marcelines are the closest to opening day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom