The Downtown Disney Thread

TP2000

Hopefully that sign is temporary. Looks cheap.

Agreed. I'm trying to keep up here from afar, but isn't this just a temporary thing? Until Porto's builds a real bakery here instead?

Seems odd. Maybe that's why the Earl's Tavern menu is so depressing lackluster? Because they know they'll only be here for a few months before they move on?

The whole thing is weird. La Brea shuts down suddenly after 20 years. A sandwich shop opens a brazenly overpriced Applebee's knockoff in its place, but only temporarily. And there's another bakery that's supposed to go here... eventually?

All with a view of the tram loading area and a Sunglass Hut?

The management and development of Downtown Disney is bizarre. One step forward, two steps back. Rinse. Repeat. Multi-Cultural! :confused:

CaptinEO

Earl of Sandwich Tavern did open today - use the > on the right to move through the slides.

This looks like an overpriced Chilis. I thought the only reason people like Earl of Sandwhich is because it's cheap. You can dine in park for cheaper than this and get better food.

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to the Disneyland Website, Catal Restaurant and Uva Bar & Cafe will be closing soon. It was previously announced they would be reimagined into Paseo and Centrico from Michelin-starred Chef Carlos Gaytan. Both locations currently have hours showing through April 9th.

Here's what the Disneyland website says -

"Catal Restaurant will soon be closing to make way for an exciting new addition to the Downtown Disney District! Please check the operating hours ahead of your visit."

"Uva Bar & Cafe will soon be closing to make way for an exciting new addition to the Downtown Disney District! Please check the operating hours ahead of your visit."

Last edited:

TP2000

According to the Disneyland Website, Catal Restaurant and Uva Bar & Cafe will be closing soon. It was previously announced they would be reimagined into Paseo and Centrico from Michelin-starred Chef Carlos Gaytan. Both locations currently have hours showing through April 9th.

Here's what the Disneyland website says -

"Catal Restaurant will soon be closing to make way for an exciting new addition to the Downtown Disney District! Please check the operating hours ahead of your visit."

"Uva Bar & Cafe will soon be closing to make way for an exciting new addition to the Downtown Disney District! Please check the operating hours ahead of your visit."

Catal was always a nice place. Good service, good food, interesting Mediterranean-California menu, good wines, solid bartender. And when you sat out on the balcony at the late dining hours I keep, you always had a great view of the fireworks with your meal! I hope its replacement is worthy, but from the sounds of it the new chef and concept will be good too. What DTD doesn't need is another "Instagram-worthy" place that focuses more on Social Media than it does on food quality, or another noisy food barn with an Applebee's inspired menu like Splitsville.

Uva Bar was also pretty good, but surprisingly I never had drinks there. I only ever ate there in the daytime, where I enjoyed their lamb burger on many occasions. I'm not a day drinker, so I just had a lemonade or a Coke at that "bar". Let's hope the Uva Bar also goes for the same adult vibe in its new iteration.

TP2000

Uh... gang? Your thoughts on this? My thoughts below the pic...

FvD8dYxXwAIuUMq

What the hell happened? Why does this new version look so cheap and tacky? Almost temporary? Nearly devoid of personality.
And just wait until the lawyers from Dunkin' Donuts find out that Ralph Brennan's stole their logo and color scheme! :oops:

Dunkin-Outside.jpeg

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster

FvD8dYxXwAIuUMq

What the hell happened? Why does this new version look so cheap and tacky? Almost temporary? Nearly devoid of personality.
And just wait until the lawyers from Dunkin' Donuts find out that Ralph Brennan's stole their logo and color scheme! :oops:

Dunkin-Outside.jpeg
It's really a shame how the visual aesthetics of the "resort" part of the Disneyland Resort has deteriorated since the pandemic. From this to the ESPN Zone being turned into a giant Disney+ advertisement eyesore to the Paradise Pier Hotel being "transformed" back into a dated 80's hotel with stripes to "make it look fun" Disney seems to have forgotten how to make visually pleasing exteriors outside of the parks.

CaptinEO

FvD8dYxXwAIuUMq

Dunkin-Outside.jpeg
Wow what. This is terrible. This looks like 2000s shopping mall, which is funny because they were trying to modernize it. What a joke.

Will we get a parks blog about how this is inspired by mid century architecture that will bring magic to the masses?

Edit: I just remembered how during the pandemic reading that Patina was on the verge of shutting down. I'm guessing the idea is to normalize these spaces so tenants are replacable. But still this is just such a downgrade and lacks any character.

TP2000

Whatever the heck they did to Ralph Brennan's, it's pretty much a total loss at this point.

But now that has me worried about how they are gutting Uva Bar and Catal and rebuilding them from scratch as "Paseo".

This doesn't bode well. Here's the complete interior and exterior gutting of Catal/Uva Bar as of this past week.

Disneyland-Downtown-Disney-Catal-Uva-Bar-Paseo-Centrico-construction-DSC_6013-X5-768x511.jpg

TP2000

Downtown Disney was a big hit with locals immediately upon opening in 2001.

But if they continue down this path as seen by the bland and ugly Jazz Kitchen, why would locals from OC even bother going?

There are neighborhood shopping centers in OC that have more theme and charm and amenities than Downtown Disney's new design direction. If this is your local Trader Joe's n' Target (Irvine, California) in a neighborhood shopping center with fountains and green space, why would you bother going to Downtown Disney on a weekend?

ce220415-d706-4958-98c5-c939e5e7ed28.jpeg

IrvineSpectrumKids-16_cmykID240_1600x960.jpg

Or is that the purpose of downgrading Downtown Disney aesthetically? To not draw as many locals and keep that dining/retail capacity exclusive to the tourist base that is sort of "stuck" there being in Anaheim for a few days?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom