The DHS Pixar revamp! (According to Jim Hill)

lynnie5150

I have been a member for four months, but this is my first post. I would like to say that MI coaster will be a great addition. The reason why I have waited to reply this long is I have really had nothing to say. I have logged on almost everyday and to this point just took in all the knowledge and rumors. This time I do have something to say and here it is:

I found this website one day while doing a Google search. I have been to Disney atleast 15 different times and cant get enough. When I found this website it appeared to be for Disney freaks like myself and I loved it.

The past month or so has seen so many critics question every move that Disney makes. Yes there are alot of things Disney is doing that make all of us a bit sad, but thats what you have to do when you run a business. You can't make everyone happy. All of us read all these posts and get put into a panic about a attraction update, the possibility of a new attraction that someone dosent like, or Disney reducing something such as F! for the good of the business. At the end of the day we will all go to the parks and pay them our money. We will all have the best trip that we have ever had because every trip gets that much better.

The reason for this post is that everyone needs to take a deep breath and endure the decisions that Disney makes. All the rumors and hoopla dosent change the fact that we all go to Florida and enjoy what Disney has to offer. No trip there is ever the same so if we cant experience everything that we want too, we will catch it next time!

I hope that these rumors are true if for no other reason than to shoot down the theories that WDW is in dire economic straights and is having to resort to cutting back Fantasmic in order to avert a financial crisis. :lol: They can't be doing that bad financially, if they are able to proceed with all these things.

Well, not really. I guess that if true, this thing is 2-3 years away, ie it would open at a time when the economic woes will probably be behind us. The worst place to be would be spending hundreds of millions on something which is due to open within the next year or so, when the economic cycle is at its lowest point. Something like Harry Potter Land...

RSoxNo1

A while ago this concept was thrown out there on these boards, and I believe an insider suggested a dark ride section akin to Peter Pan, and then a faster section for pacing.

The capacity that Jim has spelled out doesn't sound very large, unless they're talking about Dual tracks.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

I was reading over the article again and it says that the coaster will be 2 minutes long. I checked Runaway Reptars time and it says it is 1:30 minutes.

Also about the cars part, I think that would be fun to have a test track type ride where to cars full of guests race each other as shown in the picture on the article.

Just some stuff I read into.

teebin

All this pixar pixar pixar. Cannot we remember that mr Rhode created a mountain based on nothing Disney just 2 years ago. If there is a next movie franchise... imagine "Expedition Everest, Legend of the Forbidden Mountain". I feel certain Mr. Bruckheimer has been contacted and his team is thinking. EE is totally new and based on nothing Disney. And that is totally Mr Walt to create something new based on nothing.

And BTW, I love Disney/Pixar (that is what it is now). Their movies are the Walt of yesteryear. Great story telling. Walt would have been cheering and weeping uncontrolably at the end of Nemo would he have lived.

So, we have Rhode (Walt) an Lasseter (Walt) and Iger (Roy). That is a pretty good combo and a whole lot of talent.

majortom1981

hmm

I do not know about this being a COASTER. I can see it being something like peter pan but not a coaster. I would think that a 2 min long coaster would take up a lot of room.

So I see the peter pan ride system thats a lil bit faster being used for this.

Unless the lift hill is slowed down a lot.

jmvd20

I hope when they build the ride that they intend to use quenched and tempered alloy steel, metric heavy hex structural bolts with a tensile strength of around 1040 to 1210 MPa.

After all these bolts are intended for use in structural connections comparable to those covered under the requirements of the Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A 325 and A 490 bolts, approved by the Research Council on Structural Connections; endorsed by the American Institute of Steel Construction and by the Industrial Fastener Institute. Ideal for use on steel coasters.

I would be willing to bet that you have not yet received Memo #245.90, in article 12.8(A) of that memo it clearly references a TPS report that states ASTM A 325 bolts are no longer allowed when used in conjunction with A 490 Bolts.

Im not trying to be nit-picky here - I just wanted to make sure everyone understands the new requirements!

hpyhnt 1000

I would be willing to bet that you have not yet received Memo #245.90, in article 12.8(A) of that memo it clearly references a TPS report that states ASTM A 325 bolts are no longer allowed when used in conjunction with A 490 Bolts.

Im not trying to be nit-picky here - I just wanted to make sure everyone understands the new requirements!

And I believe I speak for everyone when I say we cannot thank you enough...

:lol:

minnie61650

I do not know about this being a COASTER. I can see it being something like peter pan but not a coaster. I would think that a 2 min long coaster would take up a lot of room.

So I see the peter pan ride system thats a lil bit faster being used for this.

Unless the lift hill is slowed down a lot.

I agree.
Peter Pan uses pirate boats to ride in but MI coaster would have "doors" to ride on.

That was what I envisioned anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

jonnyc

If done properly this ride would be immense. If there is enough space to this is another question.

Is there enough space for this to pulled off? what would have to go/be extended? to house it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here`s the available studio one space. Red is available as-is. Purple is easily expandable with no effect on other facilities. Blue is expansion that would effect wardrobe and scenic. Cyan uses the backstage access area (anyone say queue/preshow?) yellow is the current Pixar Place, and TSM is in white.

This is the maximum space for Pixarland phase 2; anymore would need to wait until the tram tour is closed and wardrobe relocated for phase 3.

Attachments

• Pixarland phase 2 space.jpg
    Pixarland phase 2 space.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 132

Missing20K

Here`s the available studio one space. Red is available as-is. Purple is easily expandable with no effect on other facilities. Blue is expansion that would effect wardrobe and scenic. Cyan uses the backstage access area (anyone say queue/preshow?) yellow is the current Pixar Place, and TSM is in white.

This is the maximum space for Pixarland phase 2; anymore would need to wait until the tram tour is closed and wardrobe relocated for phase 3.

That being said, any opinion on the validity of the rumor, Marni?? You seem to have good insights.

Also, what is the average timeline from blue sky to rumor mill to greenlit to the forums to Jim Hill report to Disney announcement to attraction opening? Anyone have a general idea or average? I only ask because he says it would open in fall of 2011. That is a full 3 years away. Seems like a lot of time if this project has already been greenlit and given a budget, which Jim Hill implies. About how much time passed from when TSMM was simply a rumor until it opened in May?

krankenstein

Hey Martin, I was wondering if you know how Studio 1 compares in size to the building Crush's Coaster is in at WDSP? I realize we are talking different rides, but it sounds like it would be a similar experience.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Vaildity.... I`ve heard this from a lot of reliable sources. As always, things arn`t valid until an attraction actually opens but this is more than blue sky. I don`t have a time frame yet but certainly I`d hazzard work could start very soon.

As for size, Studio One is similar in size to the CC main building, but the footprints are very different to match exactly (see below) Vehicle storage and WDI added darkride sections would need to be moved about, though the off-the-shelf section would fit inside as per ground space. Height wise, the CC is much taller than S1. It`d make more sense with Studio One having a load-bearing roof and supports to begin again rather than retro-fit a higher roof. If this route was taken of course....

Here`s the footprint comparison

Attachments

• Crush coaster on MGM studio 1 compare.jpg
    Crush coaster on MGM studio 1 compare.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 123

hpyhnt 1000

The height is the main issue for me. I suppose one way they could get around that would be a forced perspective set up. If you've ever been on E.T. over at Universal, when your bike flies over the city below. Heck, even Peter Pan employs something similar when you're flying over London. If that kind of set is used, then the actual height of the attraction can be kept fairly minimal, yet give the allusion that you're flying high above the ground. With a forced perspective facade and set, its probably fairly easy to put a coaster like set up in SS1.

markjohns1

This would be a fantastic addition to DHS. A dark ride + family friendly thrill ride is definitely a good solution to fill some of the holes in the current DHS lineup. This would be quite helpful in diverting some of the crowds from the ToT/RnRC area further then TSM already has. The theming of the queue sounds great, and I'm glad to see a lot of care being put into the queues lately as that is where guests spend most of their time. I'd love to see Roz make an appearance too. She could do an awesome intro/briefing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom