The DC Comics Film Thread

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My expectations for the DCEU are pretty low at this point. Not because Gunn isn’t moving forward with the same actors, but because Gunn seems to be starting out trying to be the new Snyder.

You know who’s name I didn’t know until like 10 movies into a successful comic cinematic universe? Kevin Feige’s. He earned my appreciation by doing good work, not by making himself the center of things.

I get that the DCEU is in a VERY different place than when the MCU was gearing up. But I’m bored with rockstar movie producers, and I think the DCEU deserves better.
Well, Gunn isn't making all the new DC movies, in the same way that Feige himself isn't making all the MCU movies. It's about shepherding other talent to do their own thing... within the limits of a shared universe, of which, the Snyder movies weren't, amidst all the other WB DC movies.

Between all the Batman reboots including the current Reeves Batman, Superman reboots, Joker, and all the TV connected and disconnected shows, WB's caretaking of DC has been a disaster.

And Snyder wasn't in charge of it. He was tapped to direct three movies, not to be DC's Feige, tho, they were indeed attempting a shared universe centered around the Justice League. But WB continued to make DC movies outside that universe, including seemingly handing the reins over to The Rock in the power vacuum... which didn't end well.

And the Snyder cult on Twitter, which once derided Batman v. Superman, now hold it up as a masterpiece, simply because Snyder made it. (Black Adam has better ratings than BvS.)

And Snyder has had a mixed success with DC movies. He has a writing credit for Wonder Woman, which got high ratings and was financially successful. And he has a producer credit on Wonder Woman 1984, which got low ratings (and was released simultaneously on HBOmax, so, we don't know the real financial status).

To wit...
1671547390960.png

1671547457666.png

LSLS

Well, Gunn isn't making all the new DC movies, in the same way that Feige himself isn't making all the MCU movies. It's about shepherding other talent to do their own thing... within the limits of a shared universe, of which, the Snyder movies weren't, amidst all the other WB DC movies.

Maybe not all, but I thought he confirmed he's writing the script for Superman. Which does make me wonder about putting someone like Gunn in charge.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Maybe not all, but I thought he confirmed he's writing the script for Superman. Which does make me wonder about putting someone like Gunn in charge.
I don't remember seeing that. Just that he likes Superman and wants to start afresh with a younger Superman starting out as a superhero.

Which is pretty much what The Batman did.

Supposedly in January we'll get the Master Plan.

_caleb

Between all the Batman reboots including the current Reeves Batman, Superman reboots, Joker, and all the TV connected and disconnected shows, WB's caretaking of DC has been a disaster.

And Snyder wasn't in charge of it. He was tapped to direct three movies, not to be DC's Feige, tho, they were indeed attempting a shared universe centered around the Justice League. But WB continued to make DC movies outside that universe, including seemingly handing the reins over to The Rock in the power vacuum... which didn't end well.

And the Snyder cult on Twitter, which once derided Batman v. Superman, now hold it up as a masterpiece, simply because Snyder made it. (Black Adam has better ratings than BvS.)

And Snyder has had a mixed success with DC movies. He has a writing credit for Wonder Woman, which got high ratings and was financially successful. And he has a producer credit on Wonder Woman 1984, which got low ratings (and was released simultaneously on HBOmax, so, we don't know the real financial status).

To wit...
View attachment 686615

View attachment 686616
I get that Gunn’s role as a producer is different than Snyder’s was as a director. That’s why I was trying to compare him to Feige.

But his behavior seems “Snyderian” in that he seems to want to put himself at the center of things: fighting/leading the trolls, hiring/firing, doing interviews, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he were to announce that he will be sitting in the director’s chair early in this phase.

spacemt354

Chili's
I get that Gunn’s role as a producer is different than Snyder’s was as a director. That’s why I was trying to compare him to Feige.

But his behavior seems “Snyderian” in that he seems to want to put himself at the center of things: fighting/leading the trolls, hiring/firing, doing interviews, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he were to announce that he will be sitting in the director’s chair early in this phase.
I don't know what other choice Gunn has. The DCEU is in shambles and they need a leader with a plan.

What boggles my mind is they have four films coming out next year from the pre-Gunn era. Very curious how those do at the box office considering their predicaments and how the DCEU hasn't turned a profit since early-2019.

_caleb

I don't know what other choice Gunn has. The DCEU is in shambles and they need a leader with a plan.

What boggles my mind is they have four films coming out next year from the pre-Gunn era. Very curious how those do at the box office considering their predicaments and how the DCEU hasn't turned a profit since early-2019.
Yeah- it certainly seems like it's going to put WB in a strange position. Promote the films, but if they are successful, too bad-we've already decided to go in a different direction. Don't promote them, they flop, and lose more money and credibility.

Last edited:

Screamface

I'm still confused how Gunn was writing the film for a while, yet they announced Cavill as being back. That just seems disorganised.

I'm biased, I think MoS is one of the best superhero films of all time. I like the first two Donner films but have the controversial take that Reeves is a bad actor.

I feel that many who don't love the Synder verse films, still think everything is there with the casting to make better films. WW84 failed because of the script and director, not Gal Gadot. Affleck is a great Batman. Cavill is a great superman and so forth.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm still confused how Gunn was writing the film for a while, yet they announced Cavill as being back. That just seems disorganised.

Gunn was writing while he was not in charge, I guess, in case things changed. Or maybe he wanted a Superman in a separate universe, like The Batman or Joker are in their own universes.

Once Gunn was in charge, I guess he approved his own project. :)

Gunn then offered Cavill... something... else. A new character (one of the New Gods?). A multidimensional double (Justice Lords?). An offer to direct or produce?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It's got to be a huge PR disaster to put out the idea that the next batch of films you're putting out in your cinematic universe are dead ends.
Well, yes. If you presume a reboot means those films don't matter any more and the actors will never be reprising their roles (or moving to new roles), which is what the Snyder Cult preaches on Twitter.

And yet, Gunn keeps repudiating their assumptions and rumors.

Some of the actors will still stay on in their roles (and not just Gunn's Suicide Squad characters). Some may come back later or in a different way (multiverse, alternate timelines).

We'll see what Gunn finally announces "early next year," which will be before any of these possibly 'dead end' films show. Perhaps the path laid out will show they're not so dead ended. Or it will. <shrug> We really need to hear the plan before condemning it based on Twitter crazies.

spacemt354

Chili's
It's got to be a huge PR disaster to put out the idea that the next batch of films you're putting out in your cinematic universe are dead ends.
It could be spun as a conclusion to this phase of the DCEU before it's rebooted from whatever happens in The Flash

But then again The Batman and Joker were both separate from the DCEU and are the only DC box office successes within the last 3 years.

Shazam in my opinion fits with the 'Gunn' universe set up in The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. IIrc I think Gunn had a hand in recommending Zach Levi for the role, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is canon. Same with Aquaman.

Perhaps that's why The Flash and Aquaman were the only Justice League actors visible in the Peacemaker finale?

MarvelCharacterNerd

I thought Black Adam (aka Doctor Strange, Falcon, Storm and Ant-Man fight Apocalypse) was literally the worst movie I have seen since... well... Jungle Cruise... which I also found torturous. And I say that as a fan of The Rock! Was really annoyed I'd forced myself to sit through both films even from the comfort of my own couch. Just awful.

For other recent DC films by comparison, I skipped most of the Snyderverse, thought Wonder Woman (the first one, didn't watch 1984) and Aquaman were okay, The Batman better than those, Joker quite gripping (if too reminiscent of The King of Comedy) and absolutely glad I watched it for Joaquin Phoenix's performance, and I loved Shazam! That one out of all of them is worth repeat viewing and I hope the sequel is as fun. I'll probably check out the sequels to Joker and maybe The Batman if it gets one, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom