The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Had a semi-interesting thing happen yesterday. I was doing my morning mall walk, when a huge storm cloud apparently went overhead. I was not aware it was even raining. They made an announcement that the lower parking area (garage) was starting to flood and if we were parked there we should head out to see if we can get out before it gets worse. Anyway I went out of the mall and not a second to soon. Water was flowing through there like a raging river. I had no choice but to wade through it to get to my car. The Mall has a habit of having that happen so I wasn't worried about it structurally, just didn't want my car to grow gills and swim away. It wasn't terribly deep, about even with my knees. Muddy disgusting, fast moving water. It was swift and I had to hang onto the auto's of others to not get knocked down. (in the process it did manage to set off a few car alarms. tee hee)

My car was in a higher spot by a few inches so the water was just below the bottom of my door enabling me to get in it and start it and drive it out with dripping wet shoes and disgustingly dirty white sweat socks. I noticed this morning that the passenger side, the direction the water was coming from had a small accumulation of stuff that was in the water that settled up under the closed door. As I said that spot has a habit of flooding if there is a heavy rain and that one was very heavy. The only thing stopping the water from getting in the Mall itself was a small roadway curb. It might have made it because it still was raining very hard when I was on my way home. We had to drive through a few totally covered roadways near the area. Some engineer must have dosed off when they are planning that mall and it's level.
That’s crazy. You were very lucky.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I didn't recalled any zebras being lose in Wisconsin.

I know back in 2017, Kelly the elephant escaped Circus World for a short in Baraboo, Wisconsin https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/30/us/wisconsin-elephant-escape/index.html

I haven't heard of loose zebras either but there is an exotic animal sanctuary near us. And about 15 years ago in the town nearby, while the circus was in town an elephant got loose and and was roaming the streets for awhile. I was hoping it would stroll past my apartment so I could see it but it never turned down my street (I was near the circus). Side note, I once rode on an elephant at Circus World in Baraboo, their skin is rougher than I thought they would be.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I haven't heard of loose zebras either but there is an exotic animal sanctuary near us. And about 15 years ago in the town nearby, while the circus was in town an elephant got loose and and was roaming the streets for awhile. I was hoping it would stroll past my apartment so I could see it but it never turned down my street (I was near the circus). Side note, I once rode on an elephant at Circus World in Baraboo, their skin is rougher than I thought they would be.
I rode one a few times at the Bronx zoo when I had a membership

donaldtoo

20th anniversary of 9/11.
Sometimes it still seems like it was just yesterday. So vivid are the memories.
There was only one other coworker in the office when I got there about 7:45a (same building we’re still located in).
I got settled in and a few minutes later he came to my office and said a plane hit the WTC a few minutes ago. My first thoughts were of a B-25 bomber that hit the Empire State Building back in 1945. But, that was in heavy fog, and this was a clear day in NYC.
Most of us were in the office to see the second plane hit the other tower on one of the partners office TVs.
No chance it was an accident now. I'll never forget the all-enveloping sick feeling I had.

I had met the pilot of Flight 77 (the one that hit the Pentagon) on one of my former flight attendant SILs layovers here in Austin once.
He invited me into the cockpit and we talked aviation while DWifey and her sis sat in the front first class seats of the plane and chatted.
Also lost on that flight was a friend of SILs and fellow flight attendant, and her husband, also a flight attendant. She was working the flight, and he was flying a jump seat to California with her for a vacation. She was also our guest book attendant at our wedding.
Just a horrible day all the way around. Seems like everyone I know was affected/connected in some way or another.
Continued prayers to all affected.

In memory of Charles "Chic" Burlingame, and Jennifer Lewis and her husband.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
There was only one other coworker in the office when I got there about 7:45a (same building we’re still located in).
I got settled in and a few minutes later he came to my office and said a plane hit the WTC a few minutes ago. My first thoughts were of a B-25 bomber that hit the Empire State Building back in 1945. But, that was in heavy fog, and this was a clear day in NYC.
Most of us were in the office to see the second plane hit the other tower on one of the partners office TVs.
No chance it was an accident now. I'll never forget the all-enveloping sick feeling I had.

I had met the pilot of Flight 77 (the one that hit the Pentagon) on one of my former flight attendant SILs layovers here in Austin once.
He invited me into the cockpit and we talked aviation while DWifey and her sis sat in the front first class seats of the plane and chatted.
Also lost on that flight was a friend of SILs and fellow flight attendant, and her husband, also a flight attendant. She was working the flight, and he was flying a jump seat to California with her for a vacation. She was also our guest book attendant at our wedding.
Just a horrible day all the way around. Seems like everyone I know was affected/connected in some way or another.

Yes, it was such a terrible day. I'm sorry that you lost people you knew. I did not know anyone personally that was lost. I was a second year teacher and when we got the news we didn't have cable and internet wasn't too stable yet at our school so we didn't have a way to watch anything. A lady that lived across the street started recording it for us and brought over VHS tapes so the students could see what was happening. I also remember going to the gym as normal that day and seeing all the weight-lighting guys just sitting around watching the coverage at the gym instead of doing their normal routines. It really doesn't seem like 20 years has passed. I was talking with my Social Studies students about it yesterday and even though logically I know that these 7th graders weren't alive when it happened but it just seems like it still just happened to all of us, if that makes any sense.

Goofyernmost

We had a family meet up planned for that weekend in Wells Beach, Maine. My oldest daughter, my son in law and both of my grandchildren were visiting my SIL's parents in Connecticut but had plans to visit NYC and the Towers that day. Since phone communication was close to impossible I spent the day hoping that they weren't at the towers at that time. When we were finally able to make contact it turned out that my grandson wasn't feeling well so they decided to skip the NYC trip until another time. Anyway we all met up the next day in Maine and although it still had a lot of tourists there, it was overwhelmingly quiet, as in no sound. It was so noticeable that there were no planes in the air at that time. I saw the first one fly overhead about three days later (maybe less, I don't remember). Looking back I am amazed that, although concerned, I was not as concerned as I am now about the future.

wdwfan4ver

I still remember 9/11.

I knew 2 church members that almost lost their son on 9/11. What happened their son was was originally scheduled to be in the location of the pentagon building where the crash happened before the schedule was changed.

I arrived at college from home that day since the college was close to where I lived. I heard about the airplane crashing into the building when I first arrived. I recalled the college cafeteria had a tv covering the event. a couple teachers made referenced to the event in classes I attended that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom