The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

I found this recipe for an acorn squash fritter.
Is acorn squash good for making soup? I know soups are really popular for the fall. I think my mom did some baked in the oven...maybe stuffed? But I just don't remember.

MySmallWorldof4

Is acorn squash good for making soup? I know soups are really popular for the fall. I think my mom did some baked in the oven...maybe stuffed? But I just don't remember.
Yeah. I have done that before. I wanted something different.
I found this one too that you can use with butternut squash, acorn, squash, or sweet potato. It sounds good too. I would just have to tweak it to make it dairy free.
Sounds like a great one for Thanksgiving.

Songbird76

I found this one too that you can use with butternut squash, acorn, squash, or sweet potato. It sounds good too. I would just have to tweak it to make it dairy free.
There was some squash, and I don't remember what kind, but my mom would scoop out the seeds, slice it, and fry it and put seasoning salt on it, the same way she did with zucchini. But I think that was a yellow squash....and I know it wasn't butternut or spaghetti squash. And I remember her putting butter and brown sugar on one that might have been acorn, but it might also have been butternut. I remember we mostly used frozen or canned veggies because "fresh" produce doesn't really exist in Wyoming. We had friends with gardens, which is where we got zucchini and such in the Summer, but for the rest of the year it was non-fresh. We used to get squash puree and she added butter and brown sugar and a tiny bit of salt to it, but I couldn't tell you what kind of squash was in that box. It was literally a block of squash puree, but I loved it. Have fun looking up recipes, though!!!

MySmallWorldof4

There was some squash, and I don't remember what kind, but my mom would scoop out the seeds, slice it, and fry it and put seasoning salt on it, the same way she did with zucchini. But I think that was a yellow squash....and I know it wasn't butternut or spaghetti squash. And I remember her putting butter and brown sugar on one that might have been acorn, but it might also have been butternut. I remember we mostly used frozen or canned veggies because "fresh" produce doesn't really exist in Wyoming. We had friends with gardens, which is where we got zucchini and such in the Summer, but for the rest of the year it was non-fresh. We used to get squash puree and she added butter and brown sugar and a tiny bit of salt to it, but I couldn't tell you what kind of squash was in that box. It was literally a block of squash puree, but I loved it. Have fun looking up recipes, though!!!
Thanks. I got a box of veggies delivered today and there were acorn and butternut squash in it. I chose them of course but neglected to look up recipes. The family is all out looking for pumpkins and gourds so it is the perfect time to look since I had no time all week.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That's to bad, because I was going to mention to him that TV show I saw last week that showed what happened in Guernsey during WWII. And wondering if all those armament structures still exist. Did she forget to feed him while he was in the cage or did the law catch up to his alias.
Which structures ?
There are a lot still around.

Goofyernmost

Which structures ?
There are a lot still around.
I don't remember what it was called, but it was a huge round concrete Nazi building that supposedly held massive amounts of armaments to gain control of the English Channel. I was just curious, but that was the first I had heard the Hitler had established a strong hold in the Channel Islands. Interesting history of the area.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don't remember what it was called, but it was a huge round concrete Nazi building that supposedly held massive amounts of armaments to gain control of the English Channel. I was just curious, but that was the first I had heard the Hitler had established a strong hold in the Channel Islands. Interesting history of the area.
There was more concrete poured by the Germans across the channel islands than in the rest of the European sea defences. There are a lot of bunkers and other fortifications still there including an underground hospital.

Figgy1

Premium Member
What to do with acorn squash? Don’t want just a roasting recipe.
I know you said not a roasted but, roasted chunks in a kale and quinoa salad:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: Stuffed with nuts cranberries drizzled with a touch of maple syrup and roasted:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: Roasted and put in a veggie soup:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: peeled sliced dipped in tempura batter fried served with aminos/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger sauce:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: roasted and turned into pie:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: mashed:hungry::hungry: even better mashed and used to top cottage pie:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Bookmarked, have all the ingredients THNX again

Songbird76

I know you said not a roasted but, roasted chunks in a kale and quinoa salad:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: Stuffed with nuts cranberries drizzled with a touch of maple syrup and roasted:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: Roasted and put in a veggie soup:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: peeled sliced dipped in tempura batter fried served with aminos/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger sauce:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: roasted and turned into pie:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry: mashed:hungry::hungry: even better mashed and used to top cottage pie:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:
Do you have approximate amounts for the aminos/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger sauce? I'd like to try that, please!

MySmallWorldof4

Bookmarked, thnx
Made these today. I sort of combined both recipes. I made some adjustments, like with spices. I added garlic and onion powder. I combined the acorn and butternut squash. I used the measurements from the first recipe, then made the cranberry sauce from the second. Roasted them first of course, and then scooped out the inside. Also added nutritional yeast, used oat flour, and flax eggs. Really delicious and another great way to use the kale I have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom