The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

I absolutely loved roller skating growing up. It was the 70s and we would go to Skateland at least one or two nights a week and they opened up the cafeteria at my school on Sundays and we would all go there and skate for free. Plus numerous friends had cement floor basements and we would skate around most days.

Then one day at Skateland, another kid who was having some trouble decided to use me to stop himself. Ran into my back and pushed me into the wall. Caught myself with my right arm and broke my the radius bone in my arm. Which made me fall to the floor, where I caught myself with my right arm and broke the ulna bone. Both bones of my lower arm, compound fractures, 4 months in a cast from shoulder to thumb that was bent at about 80 degrees at both the elbow and wrist. Had to learn to write with my left hand. Didn't skate again until my daughter was about 8 and even then I stayed at the wall the whole time (which my wife thought was pretty funny).
See, that last part is what always freaked me out about roller skating. I'm sorry, ice is not as hard as the dang floors of roller rinks. And believe me, I know. I spent plenty of time on the ground while taking ice skating. Plus, with ice skating, the first thing they teach you is proper falling so you don't hurt yourself.

My brother will roller skate, and I'm just like...nope.

wdwfan4ver

I was just talking to my one friend who I go for walks with about roller skating...and how it's the one thing that I hate doing. I did it a few times growing up...hated it.

The funny thing is that I took ice skating in college as my PE credit and will happily ice skate...but that's different. I think I dislike having wheels under me. At least with ice skating, if you need a break, you get off the ice and when you're on regular ground, you're just walking, albeit on weird shoes. Roller skates...you can never escape the fact that you're on wheels.
I was much better at roller skating than Ice skating back when I was in school. I was not the fastest on roller skates, but I didn't fall down. I did the rolling skating on the gym floor since that was the only times I roller skated was in gym class. I had bad balance on ice skates and I fall down 6 or 7 times less in a 10 minute time frame with me landing on my knees. I am sure that did not help matters with my knees.

My problem with ice skating was the ice itself. I did not have very good balance on slippery surfaces such as ice, or wet surfaces that was caused by freezing rain.

I have not done rolling skating or ice skating either since you were born though. I think I would do much worse at Roller Skating now because I suffered a major hip injury when you were not even a year old with it happened during the winter at the time. That Hip injury did involve a fall from freezing rain surface back in the mid 1990s. That fall started a chain of events that caused the fracture with the 2nd fall being a combination people tried to help me to get up, but I fall a 2nd time with those people fall top of me.

My gait has been off since that injury doing anything like rolling skating is not a good idea.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

21stamps

I went to Hone Depot and purchase two gardenia tree and two large planters. Apparently global pandemics and riots turn me into a plant addict. 🤷‍♀️

Now I’m looking at my deck and realizing that I need a plant stand and one more pot with red flowers in a specific spot. So, I guess I’ll be back to Lowe’s or Hone Depot soon. 🤦‍♀️

Frustratingly, they just got the tall hibiscus plants in stock today.. I’ve been waiting and waiting and finally gave up and purchased the shorter ones. I am NOT adding any more plants, so I’ll just deal with what I have.

SteveBrickNJ

Did anyone ever notice???.......
When YOU post on a thread.....then two minutes later you go to wdwmagic's "What's New"...then select "new posts", the website pretends like you didn't post. You can't "see" that you posted recently. Yet if someone else posts on that thread, it is reflected for you to see immediately.
Now I totally understand that this is completely unimportant.....I'm "just sayin!" :rolleyes::facepalm:

SteveBrickNJ

Prayers to everyone here. I am crying, guys. Literally crying. This isn’t a political post., I just want to say that I am praying for all of us.
I hope that the month of June is a better month. I hope the aspects of life that made you cry yesterday, fade away. Additionally, the prayer wishes that you have for the future hopefully come sooner than you expect. Yet our praying shouldn't cease. Prayer is good in the good times as well as the bad.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I went to Hone Depot and purchase two gardenia tree and two large planters. Apparently global pandemics and riots turn me into a plant addict. 🤷‍♀️

Now I’m looking at my deck and realizing that I need a plant stand and one more pot with red flowers in a specific spot. So, I guess I’ll be back to Lowe’s or Hone Depot soon. 🤦‍♀️

Frustratingly, they just got the tall hibiscus plants in stock today.. I’ve been waiting and waiting and finally gave up and purchased the shorter ones. I am NOT adding any more plants, so I’ll just deal with what I have.
My gardening is at about the same level as usual but I'm changing my nails up more often even though they don't always need to get redone. I'm doing less sewing now because I'm not having to make as many masks and I don't need clothes. I'll make some shorts when that fabric shows up.

Songbird76

Yup, I've posted some trip reports and the occasional comment in other discussions, but haven't spent a whole lot of time on the wdwmagic, which meant I couldn't really get sucked into the discussions here! Obviously, got a little more time on my hands than expected now and these discussions are really welcome (mainly as a distraction from the discussions elsewhere about whether the things I teach will still be taught at all in the fall).

Back in January, I took 103 kids to WDW on a band/orchestra trip and we had an awesome time. One of my colleagues was scheduled to leave for WDW on 3/13 with all of his kids. Of course, that was the day that Maryland closed down schools. I can't even imagine (and he and I have talked a lot about it). And ever since his text to me the morning of 3/12 (he actually got word about the closure before it was announced) the world has been pretty upside down.

I skimmed through a random smattering of pages yesterday and am glad to see many familiar folks and some chats and discussions on a wide variety of topics! Hope everyone has a great Sunday and is staying safe and healthy!
Yes, I followed along with your TR from your trip to WDW. I think it was yours anyway....did your daughter celebrate her birthday at the same time and your wife went along as a chaperone? I can't imagine taking a group that large....you must be very patient!

Songbird76

Thought I'd mention that according to the news here this morning, there will be a medicine/vaccine against Covid-19 within 6 months. A dutch team researched and created it, tested it and it works. It's being developed in the US by a pharmaceutical company, but they won't say which one. But the head of the team of scientists that created it said it should be available in 5-6 months and can be used to treat people who already have it, AND as a preventative. So I thought that was really good news, and being from the Netherlands, I wasn't sure if people in the rest of the world had heard about it yet, so I wanted to share.

Songbird76

I was just talking to my one friend who I go for walks with about roller skating...and how it's the one thing that I hate doing. I did it a few times growing up...hated it.

The funny thing is that I took ice skating in college as my PE credit and will happily ice skate...but that's different. I think I dislike having wheels under me. At least with ice skating, if you need a break, you get off the ice and when you're on regular ground, you're just walking, albeit on weird shoes. Roller skates...you can never escape the fact that you're on wheels.

B got invited to a roller skating party a few years ago. I was asked if I wanted to skate with him. I said nah I had college graduation two weeks later and didn't want to risk getting hurt.

That was partially it. The other part was I really hate roller skating.
My husband won't even try it....he can't see the appeal, but I always loved it. Once in a while my friends and I would go to the rink in college. I had a pair of ice skates growing up, too, and my brother and I went sometimes, but the last time I tried did not go well. I can stay upright on the wheels, but not on blades!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Did anyone ever notice???.......
When YOU post on a thread.....then two minutes later you go to wdwmagic's "What's New"...then select "new posts", the website pretends like you didn't post. You can't "see" that you posted recently. Yet if someone else posts on that thread, it is reflected for you to see immediately.
Now I totally understand that this is completely unimportant.....I'm "just sayin!" :rolleyes::facepalm:
But it just worked for me, @SteveBrickNJ. 🤷🏻‍♀️

9742DD6F-9E56-48EF-B219-96F899A84340.png

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was much better at roller skating than Ice skating back when I was in school. I was not the fastest on roller skates, but I didn't fall down. I did the rolling skating on the gym floor since that was the only times I roller skated was in gym class. I had bad balance on ice skates and I fall down 6 or 7 times less in a 10 minute time frame with me landing on my knees. I am sure that did not help matters with my knees.

My problem with ice skating was the ice itself. I did not have very good balance on slippery surfaces such as ice, or wet surfaces that was caused by freezing rain.

I have not done rolling skating or ice skating either since you were born though. I think I would do much worse at Roller Skating now because I suffered a major hip injury when you were not even a year old with it happened during the winter at the time. That Hip injury did involve a fall from freezing rain surface back in the mid 1990s. That fall started a chain of events that caused the fracture with the 2nd fall being a combination people tried to help me to get up, but I fall a 2nd time with those people fall top of me.

My gait has been off since that injury doing anything like rolling skating is not a good idea.

I've done both ice skating and roller skating. Ice skating was way more preferable for me, because the blades are light.

The big surprise to me when I tried roller skating a few time (not to be confused with roller blading), was that the wheels seemed so clunky and heavy.

SteveBrickNJ

Maybe my game thread "Cut The Word / Add a Word" is not "considered" in the wdwmagic software.
When I post on my thread and go to what we've discussed...I can't see it. Yet if I go to "threads you post in" or if I go to "Your Threads" ....well in those two places I CAN see my post "recognized" or displayed.
Anyway.....it's totally not important.
Gotta run....have a great day :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom