The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Pretty much. I've lost a few of the bottom notes I used to have (like I used to be able to hit the D below middle C...that doesn't happen anymore) and my voice is slightly higher, even speaking voice.

I give a lot of credit to what I was able to do singing-wise to my middle school chorus teacher. Not only did she bring out the fact that I could sing (I didn't think I could... that's funny to think about now) but she taught us a lot about taking care of our voices. They told me when I had my surgery that I probably wouldn't be able to talk afterwards. I was talking two hours later, mostly demanding food. Then I did careful vocal exercises to get it back. A lot of people who have this surgery need therapy afterward. Nope. I was able to get my voice back through the techniques I'd learned.

Between that and having a great surgeon, got it back. I'm working on learning the music for another virtual choir, probably will record and upload this weekend - https://virtualchoir6.com/
I uploaded mine yesterday! Not the best quality video, but I followed the specifications. I only had to do about 20 takes. :rolleyes: I kept missing the clap. Then I finally got nearly to the end and my husband walked in and I had to start over. :banghead: I should have put a sign on the door, but it was during his working hours and the kids' school hours, so I figured I was safe. Nope....E's birthday present arrived (well, part of it) and DH came up to let me know it got here. But I finally got an acceptable take.

Lilofan

We do have trains that go country to country though...no different than going state to state.
I took greyhound from Wyoming to Vancouver Canada a couple of times...took 3 days and it wasn't ideal, but it was cheap and it got me there. But I'd much rather take a train if that was an option.
Amtrak train seating is similar in size to business class seating on an airplane. Once you recline all the way it's quite comfortable.

Songbird76

I see 4th graders comments in Google Classroom, every day via the mobile app. It’s the kids typing, not their parents. They miss their school, friends, and extracurriculars. The football kids have also expressed fear over not having their season, which doesn’t even start until August.
I see parents of 8th graders and high school seniors, posting real stories about how their kids are heartbroken over not having those once in a lifetime experiences, and not getting to complete their last year of a sport with the school.. for many of the seniors, it would have been their last time playing, ever.

I think it’s much easier to tell ourselves that the kids aren’t upset. That way we can convince ourselves that heartache, hurt, or depression, isn’t what’s really going on. We don’t have to acknowledge what they’ve lost.
I'd agree with that, but I think there's also another side to that, and as much as they miss their friends and activities, they are also afraid. They are seeing loved ones get sick and they worry that they'll die. We have kept most of the severity from A, but he's still had a couple of nights that he couldn't sleep because he was afraid of dying. He hasn't been sick at all, but just the idea of all the people dying, he's scared he will catch it and will die.
For some kids who were really heavily scheduled with activities, they are enjoying having some down time now, and spending time with family, etc. E LOVES school from home...she said if she was able to see her friends outside of school, she would rather keep doing remote learning. She gets her work done so much faster because she doesn't have to sit through a lecture before starting her homework. She can look at the book and figure out what to do, then have the homework done before the class hour is even supposed to start. She can have her whole day finished hours before the scheduled time, and still get top grades. The math test that most of the class failed, she did really well on, so it's not hurting her at all to work from home. I'd say for MOST kids, the classroom has more benefits, but there are a few who thrive with independent study, and she's one of them.

I think the issue in this is the "one-size-fits-all" mentality. People are different, so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Neither of my kids are involved in athletics. Both are more academic-oriented. A is getting Chess lessons online and they do weekly online tournaments within the club, so his activities are still ongoing. E took a break from activities this year because she felt overwhelmed trying to balance school and musical theater. But then some other kids really need that outlet offered by sports or activities. It depends on the kid...E is thriving in this current environment, where she struggled more pre-covid with demands on her time. We can't force everyone into one box, that "this way is the best for every single person!" It's just not true, and some are doing so much better now. They said on the news that people with chronic depression were suffering more right now, but people with psychosis were actually doing better...less stimulation, fewer triggers, etc. It really just depends on the person and what their needs are.

Songbird76

Did your ds never bring anything slimy into the house?:eek: Mine learned quickly not to do that;)
My son never brought anything slimey or creepy crawly into the house. He's terrified of house flies, mosquitoes, ladybugs, beetles, what have you. His thing was sticks....he was always bringing sticks home, and I just told him that the stick had to live outside, because it would be sad inside with no friends. Sticks were happier outside in nature, they didn't want to be stuck inside.

Songbird76

Amtrak train seating is similar in size to business class seating on an airplane. Once you recline all the way it's quite comfortable.
No Amtrak trains go to Wyoming, though. Greyhound was the only way for me to get to Canada. To fly, I'd have had to get to Denver, and it was several hundred dollars for flights...the bus was $60 bucks round trip.

Goofyernmost

What if your county has their lockdown timeline right and harford has a rise in cases due to hairdressers etc ?
Is it worth the risk for someone in a high risk category ?
Especially, since life has taught many of us that one can survive with no hair at all, much less s haggy looking. Vanity has killed a lot of people over the centuries, so I guess there is no sense thinking that will change now. Going to a different place for medical care or to aid someone in need, sure, but for a haircut. Sorry, that I cannot see, but I guess everyone has the right to choose the degree of danger they put themselves in. I know I have over the years, so I can relate to others taking chances. I have no problem with that, I have problems with denial. Things happening in front of their eyes and yet, they keep saying, oh, it's nothing to worry about.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I've taken AMTRAK in the Northeast Corridor. The trains have always been comfortable and clean. (Business class in particular, is very nice. Although I haven't taken the NY trip in a number of years now, I recall that at NY Penn, they had a separate waiting area for Business Class customers, that always had seating. Also, Business Class was first to board, as I recall.) At some point in the future, I'll take the Downeaster up to Maine.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Especially, since life has taught many of us that one can survive with no hair at all, much less s haggy looking. Vanity has killed a lot of people over the centuries, so I guess there is no sense thinking that will change now. Going to a different place for medical care or to aid someone in need, sure, but for a haircut. Sorry, that I cannot see, but I guess everyone has the right to choose the degree of danger they put themselves in. I know I have over the years, so I can relate to others taking chances. I have no problem with that, I have problems with denial. Things happening in front of their eyes and yet, they keep saying, oh, it's nothing to worry about.

Or, just do what I do -- cut it myself! :joyfull:

I can assure all of you -- it's a very "unique" look. :hilarious: (And oh, the price is right, too!) :D

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm giving our county executive a week. If he hasn't changed his mind I'm just gonna hop over to Harford County and get a haircut. It's literally 10 minutes for me to get over there... it's so stupid. Cross the line...haircut...on the other side of the line...no haircut.

I have a feeling he'll wait to see what the Mayor does first considering the city has fewer cases than the county does.

Rista1313

As I posted, there are many variations (the only comparison I can make off the top of my head is so many variations of pizza).
Recipes can vary between families and never be posted anywhere...all I know is, anytime King Ranch Casserole is mentioned for dinner (or leftovers for breakfast, lunch, or dinner ;)) my mouth starts to water...!!!!! :hungry:

It does sound good... I hope to put it on the list to try in the next couple of weeks.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I've taken AMTRAK in the Northeast Corridor. The trains have always been comfortable and clean. (Business class in particular, is very nice. Although I haven't taken the NY trip in a number of years now, I recall that at NY Penn, they had a separate waiting area for Business Class customers, that always had seating. Also, Business Class was first to board, as I recall.) At some point in the future, I'll take the Downeaster up to Maine.
Quite a bit of the ride is unexpectedly scenic from NY/Newark NJ to DC, the lights at night are beautiful and as you said rather comfy:joyfull:

StarWarsGirl

What if your county has their lockdown timeline right and harford has a rise in cases due to hairdressers etc ?
Is it worth the risk for someone in a high risk category ?
Trying not to get too political here, but basically, Baltimore County and Baltimore City are the odd men out in this situation. There's only two other counties that aren't reopening hair salons, PG County and Frederick County. Frederick County just said they want to give it another two weeks and make sure the cases go down; they're otherwise following the governor's plan. PG County is down near DC and was the hardest hit, so it kind of makes sense. Every place else in the state is basically following the governor's plan...and then there's Baltimore. Which is basically Maryland in a nutshell... there's the rest of Maryland...and then there's Baltimore, that one sibling that no one wants to talk about...

They're also not opening to full capacity. Appointment only and 50%, masks required.

As for me, I've been leaving my house. I got bloodwork done, been to the liquor store (because those are essential businesses here...), been going for walks on a local trail, and I have an appointment with my endocrinologist in two weeks that I'm planning on going to. If Hershey Park reopens in June, I'm planning on going. Just taking precautions. I wear a mask, keep hand sanitizer on me and in the car, and social distance as much as possible. I'm not going to grocery stores; Mom does that. I do curbside pickup when I can (like for Target, as much as @Dead2009 would like me to stop).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom