The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Just about time for me to save the projects I worked on today to the server. We all have our own 15 min. timeslot while workin' from home.
Normally we work directly off the server, but, we were told to work from a supplemental file we create on our desktop for each project, and then save to the server during our timeslot.
Also, I had my first TEAMS meeting with a partner today...fun stuff...!!! :)

StarWarsGirl

Yes but in the office you could get up from your desk and go talk to someone if you needed to. Now, you can't. I've had a major uptick of meetings each day because of this.
Things haven't really changed. My boss and I IM or email, since we usually sit near each other. Sales calls or IMs, as usual. They usually know to IM since they know the odds of me picking up the phone at home are about the same as in office (50/50).

I did block out my calendar Monday and Tuesday this week, though, so people couldn't drop random meetings on me.
Since we’re working from home, everyone is jumping on the video chat bandwagon. We never did video when we were in the office, just IM...
We have multiple offices, plus we have remote people, so we were already somewhat used to having to talk to people not in the same building as us. No one like video chatting. I'm in finance; we barely like talking...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Since we’re working from home, everyone is jumping on the video chat bandwagon. We never did video when we were in the office, just IM...
Yes but in the office you could get up from your desk and go talk to someone if you needed to. Now, you can't. I've had a major uptick of meetings each day because of this.

I think it is more a generational thing. Some are adapting to it better than other like my DD boss who is 60.

My adult kids one a millennial one not though only 5 years apart in age have adapted well to video meetings vs in person. It is the aging that seem to have the most problems adapting and gripes according to what they are sharing and some having a difficult time rolling with it an adapting. My kids grew up with IMing questions on all fronts including homework and touching base. They both in middle school worked on video laptop presentations live. Me we had a weird thing that connected to a mainframe with huge circular tapes to SAVE.

Both my kids jobs have IMing software and the ability to talk to their co workers via their laptops and headset. It is normal to them.

my son has decided to return home during his work Remote. Safety in family vs alone as has his girlfriend. Video makes it seamless for his line of work. He is working with2 of his employees to make a hiring video to hit social media that they are hiring presently which is a notion lost on many given our counties circumstances. 3 people working together via video remotely. I find the youth remarkable given the circumstance. They quickly adapt

my Dd firm where she is a computer engineer doesn’t do video. Ever. They do voice and screen sharing. They are all engineers and comfy with tech. Today she multitasked and built a new app for those in the field while in A 3 hour meeting. She is great at multitasking.

Her firm a fortune 100 went remote before any state went shelter In place. They are above and beyond critically essential. The firm had the insight to not have all of their employees go down together and to separate them. If the firm goes down so does Illinois and 4 states on the east coast and WDC.

their attitude from being displaced is Let’s Roll. Youth. A challenge to them.

me I get tired watching them

StarWarsGirl

@StarWarsGirl and other that really are not millennials but are accused of being ONE OF THOSE 🤣

The customer service ones...granted, I've seen baby boomers who've treated customer service reps with the utmost kindness, and I myself have gotten snippy on occasion, though I usually use my sweetness to get what I want (my mom is always amazed at how I get people to do things for me...). But I don't think I've even once seen someone my age scream at customer service reps the way Baby Boomers, and for that matter Gen Xers, have. Maybe we'll get to that age and have less patience? I don't know.

Oh, and saving for a house...good grief. There's no way I could be doing it if I weren't living with my parents; thankfully they understand and support me in this goal. And I probably could have done it already had I not had that unfortunate diagnosis last year that wiped out a good $5K of my savings between the bills and being out of work. 🤦At least the Baby Boomer and Gen Xer with whom I live get it.

Gabe1

The customer service ones...granted, I've seen baby boomers who've treated customer service reps with the utmost kindness, and I myself have gotten snippy on occasion, though I usually use my sweetness to get what I want (my mom is always amazed at how I get people to do things for me...). But I don't think I've even once seen someone my age scream at customer service reps the way Baby Boomers, and for that matter Gen Xers, have. Maybe we'll get to that age and have less patience? I don't know.

Oh, and saving for a house...good grief. There's no way I could be doing it if I weren't living with my parents; thankfully they understand and support me in this goal. And I probably could have done it already had I not had that unfortunate diagnosis last year that wiped out a good $5K of my savings between the bills and being out of work. 🤦At least the Baby Boomer and Gen Xer with whom I live get it.

True. I give this new generation a great deal of credit. They are cautious. They went through college in tough times. Rough job markets upon graduation. Both mine struggled with that and stuck with it and came out the backside. My DD held 2 jobs and was in Grad school all while maintaining her own apartment. I just don't get all the hate for her generation.

Gabe1

My lawn service was just here. Kiddo may have a mop on top of his head, but at least my grass is cut and fertilized. 😂

Our grass is green but no mowing yet. Swans are back in their pond as of Sunday. It kinda righted the World. They were so happy being dumped back into their pond. Tiny buds on fruit trees and bushes.

Songbird76

They have until Sunday night to adjust their sleep schedules, they usually get 2 weeks notice. This time it's a little different. 2 shifts that will not be there at the same time, no overlap. With the added bonus joy of being able to work up to 7 days a week:bawling::arghh::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Dh said a big no to that one!!!!!!!!!
Wait....it's an OPTION to work 7 days a week? Who in the world is signing up for THAT? How long does he have to keep this schedule?

Songbird76

After a Jeopardy question which I answered because of Hamilton, I explained to my parents how the US Capital was established in DC, also because of Hamilton.

Now I'm trying to explain that I didn't learn US history entirely from Hamilton.
I've never seen Hamilton. I have learned a lot of revolutionary war history from the Outlander series, though.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Wait....it's an OPTION to work 7 days a week? Who in the world is signing up for THAT? How long does he have to keep this schedule?
The overnight is until the national emergency is over. He's not going to do 7 nights. Maybe 6 once in a while but never 7. Her has enough seniority pull off only going in 5 and not doing any extra hours, but he's going to take some every week. edit a few of the younger single guys will try and do 7 days a week. No kids, no pets, no social life no problem

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom