The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

There is a huge difference between a takeout place and a truck stop.
I don't know how it works there, having never been there, but I know at least over here, even the fastfood places have converted to takeout places, so if you closed all the takeout places, that would include all those Subways, McDonalds, Burger Kings....most of those are along the interstate by the exit ramps where they are easily accessible for truckers or travelers, etc. We stopped at McDonalds the other night after I got off of work because I was starving after my shift and that is the only thing open at close to midnight. But it's drivethru only right now, you can't pay with cash, and they made an extension for the debit card machine so they don't have to hold it out the window, etc. They were also having some issues with the headsets they use to take drivethru orders because they had to sit too far from the hub because they have to stay 1.5 meters from eath other in the kitchens, so there were a lot of misunderstood orders and they were confirming all of them as you drove up to the window to pay. Ours had to be corrected, but they just couldn't understand people because the headsets were crackly with the bad connection.

In the states, most truck stops have some kind of restaurant attached. Sometimes it will be a fastfood place, sometimes a buffet, but most have something. In Wyoming especially...distances are HUGE. You can drive for 100 miles before you come to another town. (Makes social distancing easier, I guess!) I used to have a 40 mile commute every day....some have more like 75 mile commutes with nothing in between. I suppose it's possible for them to keep a cooler in their trucks with some food they can snack on, but there would be no way for them to heat anything up, so they'd be relegated to things like chips or fruit. I think about my dad...he went out for pretty much every meal because he couldn't cook. He lived off of that or cookies and crackers and peanuts and yoghurt. He'd have been in bad shape without access to restaurants. His house was 20 miles away from the nearest town, which was about half way between his work and his house. There was a sort of truck stop right on the highway on his way home, so that's where he went most of the time. They certainly did a booming business with people passing through because it was the first place to stop in 35 miles (that town has a population of 7, it has a bar/gas station and a school and a church. Blink and you'll miss it) in one direction, 75 if you don't count Bill Wyoming, and 40 miles in the other direction. If you don't stop there, you're out of luck for another hour. Those really are essential businesses for the coal miners who are coming through on shift change. I can't imagine what would happen if they closed those down. :(

StarWarsGirl

I don't know how it works there, having never been there, but I know at least over here, even the fastfood places have converted to takeout places, so if you closed all the takeout places, that would include all those Subways, McDonalds, Burger Kings....most of those are along the interstate by the exit ramps where they are easily accessible for truckers or travelers, etc. We stopped at McDonalds the other night after I got off of work because I was starving after my shift and that is the only thing open at close to midnight. But it's drivethru only right now, you can't pay with cash, and they made an extension for the debit card machine so they don't have to hold it out the window, etc. They were also having some issues with the headsets they use to take drivethru orders because they had to sit too far from the hub because they have to stay 1.5 meters from eath other in the kitchens, so there were a lot of misunderstood orders and they were confirming all of them as you drove up to the window to pay. Ours had to be corrected, but they just couldn't understand people because the headsets were crackly with the bad connection.

In the states, most truck stops have some kind of restaurant attached. Sometimes it will be a fastfood place, sometimes a buffet, but most have something. In Wyoming especially...distances are HUGE. You can drive for 100 miles before you come to another town. (Makes social distancing easier, I guess!) I used to have a 40 mile commute every day....some have more like 75 mile commutes with nothing in between. I suppose it's possible for them to keep a cooler in their trucks with some food they can snack on, but there would be no way for them to heat anything up, so they'd be relegated to things like chips or fruit. I think about my dad...he went out for pretty much every meal because he couldn't cook. He lived off of that or cookies and crackers and peanuts and yoghurt. He'd have been in bad shape without access to restaurants. His house was 20 miles away from the nearest town, which was about half way between his work and his house. There was a sort of truck stop right on the highway on his way home, so that's where he went most of the time. They certainly did a booming business with people passing through because it was the first place to stop in 35 miles (that town has a population of 7, it has a bar/gas station and a school and a church. Blink and you'll miss it) in one direction, 75 if you don't count Bill Wyoming, and 40 miles in the other direction. If you don't stop there, you're out of luck for another hour. Those really are essential businesses for the coal miners who are coming through on shift change. I can't imagine what would happen if they closed those down. :(
Yup, that.

And that is what I think Europeans and those from GB do not understand about the US...we have these massive wide open spaces where you can drive for hours on end. I can see it being very problematic, especially where you noted, in the Midwest, if they don't keep some stuff open. Heck, there's even been times where I've been driving in MD, especially across to Eastern MD where one of my friends lives, where I've been like, "Better stop here for gas, don't know where civilization is again..."

Plus, I think culturally as Americans, we do need it to keep some sense of normalcy in our lives. Now, if like 30% of the population were infected, I could maybe see it, but I don't think we're at that point.

Cesar R M

The bad part of working within five feet of your bed has been all day I've had an ever present urge to just go crawl back in it... unfortunately I need both monitors so it's not an option to just take my laptop and go work over there.
You just need to master the "Floppy fish" technique for quick BED to Floor to Working Chair to Floor to Bed maneouver :p

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Don't see why not. Take outs aren't essential.

This made me laugh 😂😂 I really enjoy the opportunity to look back at my wonderful country through the eyes of foreigners because we get so used to our way of life that sometimes we lose perspective.

Others have detailed some very valid reasons who takeout is essential here. But I have another point.... A lot of Americans cannot cook 😂😂 I watched people check out with entire carts full of canned microwaveable soup and TV dinners and nothing else. Closing takeout would encite more panic than Covid.

Plus, ordering takeout helps Americans feel like they're doing what they can to support their local communities right now. Makes us feel like we're contributing to them staying open when all this is over.

There is a huge difference between a takeout place and a truck stop.

This was absolutely true back in the eighties in America. Growing up in a school but we frequented a lot of truck stops. Unfortunately now most of them are either a chain diner with crappy food or their connected to food courts and fast food. Truck stops in general have diminished, and most of what you see now are glorified gas stations. I used to LOVE truck stops but they just aren't the same anymore.

Goofyernmost

Maryland has over 2K cases of the virus and they're saying MD, VA and DC could end up like New York City based on people ignoring the incredibly simple guidelines that are being put in place. But yeah, you cant leave the house unless its to the store, hospital etc. They want essential businesses to cut back on staff so who knows what that entails for my job.
I'm confused, how is that any different then what we have been told in the past and for the most part following. Now they can charge you with a misdemeanor if you are stopped. But, why can't you say you were on your way to those places and where would you be going that wasn't an approved destination anyway.

I've been on the road a lot over the last two weeks.... this is how my social agenda has been going. Leave my Apartment in Cary and get into my car with some boxes, etc. drive to Raleigh and bring things into my new apartment. As of last weekend I reversed that and left my apartment in Raleigh and got into my car and drove to my other apartment in Cary to clean it up and make an attempt at getting my damage deposit refunded. Other then going to Walmart early in the morning that is the extent of my travels, but I have been on the road a lot comparatively. I guess the less adventuresome will probably be inclined to stay in, but those were the ones that were already doing that. Just because you are outside your home doesn't mean that you are having contact with anyone, so is it just more well intentioned political posturing or a real new reaction. It's sort of like dealing with children. Don't make threats that you cannot or will not back up. You are just wasting everyone's time.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm confused, how is that any different then what we have been told in the past and for the most part following. Now they can charge you with a misdemeanor if you are stopped. But, why can't you say you were on your way to those places and where would you be going that wasn't an approved destination anyway.

I've been on the road a lot over the last two weeks.... this is how my social agenda has been going. Leave my Apartment in Cary and get into my car with some boxes, etc. drive to Raleigh and bring things into my new apartment. As of last weekend I reversed that and left my apartment in Raleigh and got into my car and drove to my other apartment in Cary to clean it up and make an attempt at getting my damage deposit refunded. Other then going to Walmart early in the morning that is the extent of my travels, but I have been on the road a lot comparatively. I guess the less adventuresome will probably be inclined to stay in, but those were the ones that were already doing that. Just because you are outside your home doesn't mean that you are having contact with anyone, so is it just more well intentioned political posturing or a real new reaction. It's sort of like dealing with children. Don't make threats that you cannot or will not back up. You are just wasting everyone's time.

This post makes me really homesick for Bragg ❤️❤️ Although my dog is happy we don't live there this time of year. When the pollen drifts like snow across the roads, her eyes get all crusty and we have to soak them so she can open them again 😂😂

Goofyernmost

My oldest daughter and her family live about 6 miles from me. This is their normal routine. Her husband has a home office and works out of there and has for the last 10 years. The kids are all home schooled and the only time they leave home is to buy food, and pick up drive through. Absolutely nothing has changed for them, yet, they are whining constantly about the regulations implemented for what she considers to be nothing more then a very bad cold. I don't need to tell anyone what side of history she is on. I don't know when her common sense got switched off, but her lemming instinct has kicked in real time. Follow, don't think about it, just follow.

One of my frustrations is that so many have confused "stay at home" with "house arrest". It already is a situation where there aren't many places to even go to if you wanted to, especially anything defined as "social". And the places that are stated as OK to travel too, are the same ones that have been available since the state was closed down.

Last edited:

Rista1313

Just because you are outside your home doesn't mean that you are having contact with anyone

I was trying to explain that to my husband when I said this weekend I'm going to make some homemade bread and some chicken noodle casserole and drop it off at my parents house... Not stopping, not hugging, just knock on the door, wave from a distance and go. Maybe cry a little on the way home.

donaldtoo

One thing’s for sure, all this Meyer lemon-scented hand soap we’re usin’ an abundance of ‘round here these days sure reminds me of the Testers lemon-scented model glue I used all those years ago on all those car, plane, tank, ship, etc., models I built in my youth.
Although, the lemon-scented glue didn’t come out ‘til a bit after I started buildin’ models...!!!!! 🤪:hilarious:;)

A13251FA-C5C0-4567-93A5-54E6D8380FAD.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom