The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

wdwfan4ver

When I was a kid I got ridiculed terribly because I was visiting my grandparents in the summer and I wanted to call my parents. I dialed 0 and got the operator and I then proceeded to ask her if she had any collect calls I could make. I knew better but panicked when she asked how she could help me.

You make that sound so old. I had a great grandparent that was killed in the Civil War and a grandfather the was in the Spanish/American War and another in WWI. Everyone of my grandparents were born in the 1800's.
For me, I had a great grandma that died when I was 13 years years old, but she was 70 when I was born. She was the one who took my dad to a trip to Disneyland when he was 11 with her staying in her room at Disneyland Hotel while my dad was in the park.

My dad on his dad's side had 2 grandparents that were born in the 1800s, but had no memory of that decade although his grandfather served in World War 1.

As far as the civil war goes, I don't think any side of the family were in the states when it happened.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Funny thing about TV commercials...
When I was younger, IIRC, the longest commercial breaks seemed to be anywhere from about 1.5-2 mins.
I’m currently watchin’ “A Bug’s Life” on FreeForm. Here’s a stopwatch screen shot from my iPhone of the last commercial break (minus about 3 secs.)...

View attachment 424037

I can overhaul my cars motor in that amount of time...!!!!! :hilarious:;)

I know! TOO many commercials!!! :banghead:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good thing I started my Christmas Shopping Early for my younger brother. I bought a bunch of used video games for my younger brother and I got an email notice today that one item is one back order. The problem was it was a used gameboy game that the online store claimed it was in stock. The problem with used games is there is no reading when it will be back in stock since the game was released in the early 1990s.

At least I got over a month and I have enough time to look a brick and mortar store that specialized in Video games and pop culture culture collectibles.

You're always very organized. That's a good thing.

I heard on the news recently that the retailers are freaking out, because I guess the way the calendar goes this year, somehow they figure there's 6 days LESS to shop for Christmas. So a lot of them have been rolling out early deals and loss leaders, earlier than last year. (I saw that Kohls last weekend, had some sort of "early" Black Friday sale" - :p )

Hey, @Tony the Tigger , are you aware of the above, regarding your record store? You might want to start hanging up a few holiday decorations there a bit earlier this year. :)

MySmallWorldof4

I heard on the news recently that the retailers are freaking out, because I guess the way the calendar goes this year, somehow they figure there's 6 days LESS to shop for Christmas. So a lot of them have been rolling out early deals and loss leaders, earlier than last year. (I saw that Kohls last weekend, had some sort of "early" Black Friday sale" - :p )

Hey, @Tony the Tigger , are you aware of the above, regarding your record store? You might want to start hanging up a few holiday decorations there a bit earlier this year. :)
Target has an early Black Friday sale that ends today. I wasn’t aware that Christmas was December 19th. It is still the 25th, right? How are they coming up with 6 less shopping days?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh, I see. Thanksgiving is late this year. A lot of people still shop before Black Friday though. There are good sales this weekend for Veterans Day for example.

True, but "traditionally" (for many people--myself included) the holiday shopping season officially kicks in on Thanksgiving weekend. So that's what the retailers are concerned about -- less time for people to get out and buy stuff. (I think they also rely on those who come back to stores and pick up additional items, once they see something--and then think about it--and return the following weekend to make additional purchases, as one example.)

MySmallWorldof4

True, but "traditionally" (for many people--myself included) the holiday shopping season officially kicks in on Thanksgiving weekend. So that's what the retailers are concerned about -- less time for people to get out and buy stuff. (I think they also rely on those who come back to stores and pick up additional items, once they see something--and then think about it--and return the following weekend to make additional purchases, as one example.)
I find that there are sales all the time now, so I will usually try and get done before December. That way there is plenty of time with shipping and wrapping.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good thing I started my Christmas Shopping Early for my younger brother. I bought a bunch of used video games for my younger brother and I got an email notice today that one item is one back order. The problem was it was a used gameboy game that the online store claimed it was in stock. The problem with used games is there is no reading when it will be back in stock since the game was released in the early 1990s.

At least I got over a month and I have enough time to look a brick and mortar store that specialized in Video games and pop culture culture collectibles.
Which one are you looking for, James keeps an eye out for those types of things. We have an original Atari and a couple of other vintage systems with a box full of games. The only problem with the Atari is it needed an adapter to play on his tv

Figgy1

Premium Member

Pre Black Friday sales have been going on for years;) Us organized people deserve a break

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom