The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

You're always very organized. That's a good thing.

I heard on the news recently that the retailers are freaking out, because I guess the way the calendar goes this year, somehow they figure there's 6 days LESS to shop for Christmas. So a lot of them have been rolling out early deals and loss leaders, earlier than last year. (I saw that Kohls last weekend, had some sort of "early" Black Friday sale" - :p )

Hey, @Tony the Tigger , are you aware of the above, regarding your record store? You might want to start hanging up a few holiday decorations there a bit earlier this year. :)
The way they are figuring this assumes people don’t start xmas shopping until Black Friday, and because thanksgiving is so late in the month this year, there is less time between The two holidays. 6 less days! I’m glad I’m almost done shopping!

eta: add me to team organized!

Tony the Tigger

You're always very organized. That's a good thing.

I heard on the news recently that the retailers are freaking out, because I guess the way the calendar goes this year, somehow they figure there's 6 days LESS to shop for Christmas. So a lot of them have been rolling out early deals and loss leaders, earlier than last year. (I saw that Kohls last weekend, had some sort of "early" Black Friday sale" - :p )

Hey, @Tony the Tigger , are you aware of the above, regarding your record store? You might want to start hanging up a few holiday decorations there a bit earlier this year. :)

Yes, but really, the shopping season changed from after Thanksgiving to after Halloween sometime in the 90’s IMO. (I was managing a Toys R Us.)

That said, since our grand opening is the Friday before BF, we are going to run our BF specials at both stores for the whole week, the idea being to get a jump on the other stores in the area.

@MinnieM123 here's another way to stay organized and save money, shop for Christmas wrapping and decorations the day after Christmas

I bought boxes of nice wrap (including Disney) at Walgreens last year at 90% off (plus I had a $10 off coupon, plus points) so we can put that out at both stores at half price for our grand opening/Black Friday week, and still do well with it.

Goofyernmost

I find that there are sales all the time now, so I will usually try and get done before December. That way there is plenty of time with shipping and wrapping.
I do it more for financial timing. I wait until the actual bill won't get to my credit cards for payment until after the first of the year. That way I can enjoy Christmas and New Years and let the harsh realities of buying stuff one can't afford, to give items that will never be used, to people that will not appreciate them. Since that is the way it is most of the time, I buy on line, have it shipped to my door after they have supplied me a list of things that they really want and if they don't like it... oh, well, I did my part now it's up to them to make some use of it. Bah Humbug! ☹

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Oh, and just for some comparison, this last interval of the movie “A Bug’s Life” (never finished watchin’ it all yesterday ;)) between commercial breaks (although, I didn’t stopwatch it) was about 7 mins...!!!!! :facepalm::bored:
The very reason that I won't watch a movie unless I can DVR it and skip the commercials. Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot with the quantity of time taken up for them. Also why I don't watch a lot of TV generally.

donaldtoo

The very reason that I won't watch a movie unless I can DVR it and skip the commercials. Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot with the quantity of time taken up for them. Also why I don't watch a lot of TV generally.

Ultimately, I don’t really “watch” a lot of TV either, it’s mostly just background noise for me.
But, there are a few channels where the length of commercial runs caught my attention, FreeForm obviously bein’ one of ‘em.
DWifey actually counted the number of commercials in the last run I stopwatched...a total of 18, and only one was a 30 sec. spot.
It’s just gettin’ a bit crazy when the commercial runs are almost as long as the runs of the “regular” programming between ‘em...!!!!! 🤪

wdwfan4ver

Which one are you looking for, James keeps an eye out for those types of things. We have an original Atari and a couple of other vintage systems with a box full of games. The only problem with the Atari is it needed an adapter to play on his tv
Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.

The game is on game boy.

My younger brother is very specific and his Christmas list has 3 printed sheets of video games that he wanted for his birthday and Christmas. I did not buy all 70 plus games from a combined 13 video game systems with me going by what can fit my budget. I got plenty of options left for replacing that one game that can fit my budget.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, but really, the shopping season changed from after Thanksgiving to after Halloween sometime in the 90’s IMO. (I was managing a Toys R Us.)

That said, since our grand opening is the Friday before BF, we are going to run our BF specials at both stores for the whole week, the idea being to get a jump on the other stores in the area.

I bought boxes of nice wrap (including Disney) at Walgreens last year at 90% off (plus I had a $10 off coupon, plus points) so we can put that out at both stores at half price for our grand opening/Black Friday week, and still do well with it.

That's exciting about your grand opening specials coming up, in time for the holiday shoppers. :happy:

I meant to also mention that I've seen a few TV commercials with country singer, Garth Brooks. He has some sort of special collector's set he has just released -- on VINYL. (I don't listen to country music, but I know that down South it's huge, so I'm only mentioning this, in case someone comes into your store looking for this. Then again, you probably already know all about it anyway.)

Good news about the wrapping paper, etc., that you bought after Christmas last year, at a major reduced price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom