The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

I'm here! Limited interaction due to busy life! I have house guests who are competing in the Arnold Classic and A's FOURTH birthday party this weekend, plus I have a full time foster dog and house projects. So I've been keeping busy.

I sat down to start writing too. Going to write a book or two about my childhood living in a school bus.

But seriously.... A is four. FOUR. I feel like I just had her last year, LOL. Time certainly flies.
A book? How exciting! Growing up on a school bus should make for an interesting story.
Time does fly when you have kids. Is she still taking ballet? How is grad school gojng?

21stamps

T’s base tuition just went up $500 for ‘19-‘20. 😢... they are increasing $500 per year for the next 3 years and then small increments to follow.
Registration went up by $200... and the athletic club is going up $100 more than it currently is, and each sport increasing by $25.

I’m floored.

The email says it’s because they haven’t increased enough per year over the past 10 years, and for the first time are near a deficit.
They will also be checking to see who does “regular envelopes” at weekly mass or online weekly church donations. If not, then you’re considered out of parish and will pay $2500 more in tuition above what in-parish will pay.

This was not a fun Friday night read. A lot of p’d off parents right now.

Cesar R M

Trip Report Part 15:

Not so new San Juan..

The Mazmorras in the old Jail, now a Museum...picture I forgot to put.
our guide Carlos.

Paseo de las Monjas.. a small street adjacent to an old Convent, now "Hotel el Convento".
Supposedly the nuns used this area to get deliveries from milk and other products.

In front of the above picture, is a small plaza, which leads to the Catedral of San Juan Bautista.

The Catedral..
Funnily, our guide Carlos told us instructions on how to enter and see if the older building was accessible for the day. He told us to go in by ourselves because there was a caretaker woman who hates him (lol) and he was unsure if he was safe from enter that time.
The other clergy had no problem with him...

Anyway.. Supposedly this cathedral was built and rebuilt a few times.. because of destruction of hurricanes and money running out a few times... also PIRATES.
Most of the upper part for example, was cheaply made by paper composites in most of its structure.. because they had no money for cantera and stone. The upper part was still very nicely disguised with painting to prevent the texture to be easily visible.
Unfortunately this also made the cathedral very fragile (took quiet a bit of a beating from the hurricane, some areas were under complete reconstruction) and one part of the main dome was missing with rebuilding in process.

The interesting part is, you can still go to the fartest area of the church where you can actually (if you're lucky) open a hatch. This hatch leads to a small stair downwards. Which allows you to see a few rooms that are intact from the original stone church of centuries ago.

Unfortunately, we were unlucky and the hatch was heavily bolted and locked with padlocks.

The above picture shows the area where the hatch is.. I think it was left and behind the banner on the left side.

My nephew checking the commemoration stone.

This church is also famous because it has the remnant of famous individuals of Puerto Rico and as well the remnants of the famous conquistador PONCE DE LEON.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_Metropolitana_Basílica_de_San_Juan_Bautista_(San_Juan,_Puerto_Rico)

Once we were done, we walked out towards the famous "miracle" street that ended with the "La Capilla de Cristo" . where supposedly a man was saved after running trough the street with his horse.. plunged because the street ended with a big fall. He prayed as he was falling and somehow survived the fall, but his horse didn't. But supposedly it was a myth and the man actually died. They build the capilla to "close down" the street's ending and prevent further accidents.

Then almost by the end of this street, you can turn right and see the original entrance to LA FORTALEZA. The wife of the governor decided to add some stuff on the street to make it prettier.. and so the road of the umbrellas was born..

There were a lot of cops and also cleanup staff preparing for the festivities that were about to start. Which can last up to 2 weeks if I remember correctly..

Then we walked towards the Colon (Christopher Columbus's plaza) and in the way we found a few buildings where one bar claims the Piña Colada was born there (the guide laughed because he knew it was pure BS ).

Once we got to the Colon statue, we returned from where we started to get to the minivan and start our trip towards "not so old San Juan". Where we passed the city(lots of traffic because of roadblocks). We see the other piers and cruise terminals and we went towards the Arenas playa section... where we seen some beaches and stopped in a small area to get some Empanadas and other Puerto Rican dishes. I had the lobster empanada which wasn't that good.. but the meat ones were nice. There were a lot of fried stuff too.
My mom, sister and niece used the time to make some shopping at much cheaper prices.
To the annoyance of me and my nephew (they took so much time!!!!)

Then we went towards the La Cueva in the Parque Historico Maria de la Cruz, which had some weird outgrown cave. Weird because there are no mountains, no elevations.. the area is pure plains.. yet there is this growth that looks like a giant pimple.. which made a cave. Used by natives to hide from the Conquistadores trying to enslave and kill.

There was a dance show for foreingers (mostly Canadians and Americans it seems). Dancing at the rhythm of the island's forefathers and natives. They had very bright costumes with very scary looking masks..

We got permission to check the small museum (which was closed but they opened it for us). We took a photo of some big costumed dancers and we went inside the cave. (honestly, the place looks more like a giant hollow meteorite had impacted.. and the degradation over millennia by rain and winds..carved a huge cave.

Continued on Part 16

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Trip Report Part 16:

Not so new San Juan.. Photo Spam..

Before we continue.. forgot to mention we also visited a famous plaza in old San Juan, completely full of doves who literally jump on you to get food out of you.

The place was full of stands and food trucks.. preparing for the festivities.

There are also a few statues of interest..

The Christopher Columbus plaza.

Some food and stuff..

Getting close..

Bridge towards the cave. crossing one of the largest rivers of PR.

Some of the traditional costumes..

Inside the cave.. there were areas where only the trees were keeping stone from falling down. Also there were HUGE bee nests (or wasps?)

Some museum pieces..

The nest..

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Trip Report Part 15:

Not so new San Juan..

The Mazmorras in the old Jail, now a Museum...picture I forgot to put.
View attachment 353541
our guide Carlos.

Paseo de las Monjas.. a small street adjacent to an old Convent, now "Hotel el Convento".
Supposedly the nuns used this area to get deliveries from milk and other products.

View attachment 353542

In front of the above picture, is a small plaza, which leads to the Catedral of San Juan Bautista.
View attachment 353543

The Catedral..
View attachment 353544
Funnily, our guide Carlos told us instructions on how to enter and see if the older building was accessible for the day. He told us to go in by ourselves because there was a caretaker woman who hates him (lol) and he was unsure if he was safe from enter that time.
The other clergy had no problem with him...

Anyway.. Supposedly this cathedral was built and rebuilt a few times.. because of destruction of hurricanes and money running out a few times... also PIRATES.
Most of the upper part for example, was cheaply made by paper composites in most of its structure.. because they had no money for cantera and stone. The upper part was still very nicely disguised with painting to prevent the texture to be easily visible.
Unfortunately this also made the cathedral very fragile (took quiet a bit of a beating from the hurricane, some areas were under complete reconstruction) and one part of the main dome was missing with rebuilding in process.

View attachment 353545
The interesting part is, you can still go to the fartest area of the church where you can actually (if you're lucky) open a hatch. This hatch leads to a small stair downwards. Which allows you to see a few rooms that are intact from the original stone church of centuries ago.

Unfortunately, we were unlucky and the hatch was heavily bolted and locked with padlocks.

The above picture shows the area where the hatch is.. I think it was left and behind the banner on the left side.

View attachment 353546

My nephew checking the commemoration stone.

This church is also famous because it has the remnant of famous individuals of Puerto Rico and as well the remnants of the famous conquistador PONCE DE LEON.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catedral_Metropolitana_Basílica_de_San_Juan_Bautista_(San_Juan,_Puerto_Rico)

Once we were done, we walked out towards the famous "miracle" street that ended with the "La Capilla de Cristo" . where supposedly a man was saved after running trough the street with his horse.. plunged because the street ended with a big fall. He prayed as he was falling and somehow survived the fall, but his horse didn't. But supposedly it was a myth and the man actually died. They build the capilla to "close down" the street's ending and prevent further accidents.

Then almost by the end of this street, you can turn right and see the original entrance to LA FORTALEZA. The wife of the governor decided to add some stuff on the street to make it prettier.. and so the road of the umbrellas was born..
View attachment 353547

There were a lot of cops and also cleanup staff preparing for the festivities that were about to start. Which can last up to 2 weeks if I remember correctly..

View attachment 353548

Then we walked towards the Colon (Christopher Columbus's plaza) and in the way we found a few buildings where one bar claims the Piña Colada was born there (the guide laughed because he knew it was pure BS ).

Once we got to the Colon statue, we returned from where we started to get to the minivan and start our trip towards "not so old San Juan". Where we passed the city(lots of traffic because of roadblocks). We see the other piers and cruise terminals and we went towards the Arenas playa section... where we seen some beaches and stopped in a small area to get some Empanadas and other Puerto Rican dishes. I had the lobster empanada which wasn't that good.. but the meat ones were nice. There were a lot of fried stuff too.
My mom, sister and niece used the time to make some shopping at much cheaper prices.
To the annoyance of me and my nephew (they took so much time!!!!)

Then we went towards the La Cueva in the Parque Historico Maria de la Cruz, which had some weird outgrown cave. Weird because there are no mountains, no elevations.. the area is pure plains.. yet there is this growth that looks like a giant pimple.. which made a cave. Used by natives to hide from the Conquistadores trying to enslave and kill.

View attachment 353551

There was a dance show for foreingers (mostly Canadians and Americans it seems). Dancing at the rhythm of the island's forefathers and natives. They had very bright costumes with very scary looking masks..

We got permission to check the small museum (which was closed but they opened it for us). We took a photo of some big costumed dancers and we went inside the cave. (honestly, the place looks more like a giant hollow meteorite had impacted.. and the degradation over millennia by rain and winds..carved a huge cave.

Continued on Part 16

I love the whimsy of the Umbrellas. It actually reminds me a bit of NOLA with the narrow street walkway and height of the buildings overlooking each other.

Songbird76

Because, in a world where it is more than likely both parents work, and the kiddo(s) can't be left home alone, and you have already maxed out your time out of work covering other snow days, you need some time to come up with a plan. This is just one scenario. If you work a job with no time off or sick time, are a single parent, well things get more complicated.
This is exactly why I don't want to go to regular hours at my job. I'm happy staying as part time/on call. I always have the flexibility to say "These are the days/hours I am available, and these are the ones I'm not". People keep asking me why I don't go to the regular hours so I'd always know my schedule....sure, but then I wouldn't have the vacations free, I couldn't be at all the school events, etc. I have to turn in my schedule 3 weeks in advance right now, which is a pain, but it's better than having to miss things at school because I couldn't get the day off. And the people who have regular hours can only ask 10 times in a year for time off, and they aren't guaranteed to have it approved. They can't deny my request...if I say I can't work, they can't schedule me. I don't know how single parents manage with stuff like that. I am extremely lucky to have a job where I can work only the hours I want to work, but still get enough hours to make a difference. If I didn't limit my availability, they'd schedule me fulltime. One of my coworkers said max 32 hours a week, but she didn't put in any times she's not available and they keep scheduling her for 38-40 hours. Luckily here, they never cancel school, so there's no scramble to find childcare. In December of 2017, DS's school closed early, and that was ONLY because it was supposed to snow and most of the kids who go there (like 90%) are brought by taxi (bus) and the drivers were quitting early that day because of the storm, and it was no use keeping the school open for like 20 kids. So they closed and I had to leave work early to go pick DS up, but that's the only time since I've lived here that one of the schools actually closed.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I agree that it is frustrating when a school system cancels school on a given evening because of a forecast snow for the next day....then that now canceled day materializes and it doesn't even snow or it is just an inch.
Yet I also want to agree with @MouseDreaming 's answer. There are people who would freak out :eek: if they were notified at 6:15am that school was gonna be closed rather than a delayed opening. I'm glad I'm not in charge of making the school closed or not kind of decision 😌
A few years ago a friend of mine who lives just southwest of you was involved in that decision making, let's just say one and done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom