The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

It's a nice state with some picturesque farmlands, mountains (skiing, hiking), and interesting towns and cities. Another thing I like is the Burlington area and north of there -- because there's a few places where you can take a ferry (with or without a car) across Lake Champlain to New York. The ride across the lake is pleasant on a sunny day. :)
That later part is the area that I come from. Lived there and just north of there for almost 50 years. There are some interesting parts just south of Burlington as well. One of the interesting political things about Vermont is that there is an Interstate system that runs from the top of Vermont to the Bottom on the East side of the state. Connecting the sparsely populated Northeast Kingdom with Mass. However, on the west coast of Vermont where all the population and larger cities are located they are still running on, very dangerous, two lane highways from Burlington to Mass. Just something that partisan politics created because most of the old time political leaders lived on the east side. Party before people is not a new concept. Before 1960 Vermont was staunch Conservative Republican. Hard to believe isn't it. The only other Interstate in Vermont runs from the Canadian border slashing cross-ways From Burlington to New Hampshire on a 45 degree angle. A very nice drive in the fall with the plus of not to far from Burlington you can arrive in Waterbury and stop in and see Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory.

MySmallWorldof4

Oh yeah.....I forgot Nevada and Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is a very long state....with a LOT of trucks! I don't feel the need to go back there.
:hilarious: Yes there are certainly a lot of trucks on our small 4 lane highways. They are just starting to widen some to 6. I did forget that I have been to your home state of Wyoming. Maybe I should have looked at the map before I typed all the states I had been to?🙄

MySmallWorldof4

NY, NJ and PA can all seem like that at times but if you get off the highways there are some beautiful small towns, historical landmarks, beaches(ok Pa's are lakes) museums, farms, and even nature
True. Rolling hills by me. I love watching the fireflies at night in the summer. The farm country, once you get passed the fertilizer smell is beautiful in PA. NJ is a concrete jungle right outside NYC, but when you head more south and west, it is more picturesque as well.

MySmallWorldof4

Honestly not a lot of the US is not my bucket list haha. I never been west of the Mississippi and other than Hawaii, Texas, Colorado and the national parks, I really have no desire to.

Europe on the other hand is a different story. London and Bern are my top cities (well, anywhere really but those are my favorite) I would go to or live ;). If I got a offered a job, I'm on the next plane.
It is a very pretty country, the one we live in. You may not like certain aspects of it relating to none geologic/geographical things, but there are numerous gorgeous places to visit.

MySmallWorldof4

That later part is the area that I come from. Lived there and just north of there for almost 50 years. There are some interesting parts just south of Burlington as well. One of the interesting political things about Vermont is that there is an Interstate system that runs from the top of Vermont to the Bottom on the East side of the state. Connecting the sparsely populated Northeast Kingdom with Mass. However, on the west coast of Vermont where all the population and larger cities are located they are still running on, very dangerous, two lane highways from Burlington to Mass. Just something that partisan politics created because most of the old time political leaders lived on the east side. Party before people is not a new concept. Before 1960 Vermont was staunch Conservative Republican. Hard to believe isn't it. The only other Interstate in Vermont runs from the Canadian border slashing cross-ways From Burlington to New Hampshire on a 45 degree angle. A very nice drive in the fall with the plus of not to far from Burlington you can arrive in Waterbury and stop in and see Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory.
I've been to Ben and Jerry's. :hungry:

Goofyernmost

81 is short for me since I live in the southern part of the state.:p My guess is she was heading west, so that would be the Pa turnpike, aka, 76. That one can be a nightmare with all the trucks, but like I said, they are widening it now.
I was on 81 a couple years ago. There was a stretch under construction that was 18 miles long. they had put up those concrete barriers on both sides of one lane for the entire distance. There was no breakdown lane or room to move out of that lane. I was fortunate that nothing had happened on my side, but on the other direction there was a truck broken down just before the end of the area and (absolute truth here) the stopped cars stretched out for the entire distance. Unable to move, everyone was outside their cars sitting on the hoods, etc. just waiting for something to move the vehicle out of the way. I don't know how a tow truck could even get to the broken vehicle. That was careful planning on the highway departments part. I could not believe what I was seeing. I sure hope they are done by now.

Goofyernmost

I've been to Ben and Jerry's. :hungry:
When I was driving municipal buses, we had one route that was called the College Street Shuttle. It ran from the waterfront on Lake Champlain up through the University of Vermont campus at the top of the hill in Burlington. Along the way was a vacant lot that was where the original Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream store was located. At that time it was being used as a small parking area with a small historical display on the corner. I used to point that out to people that were just visiting. I'll tell you how old I am, I remember when Jerry used to stand on the street corner or go to small conventions and scoop out free ice cream samples trying to build the business.

Last edited:

12in12

:hilarious: Yes there are certainly a lot of trucks on our small 4 lane highways. They are just starting to widen some to 6. I did forget that I have been to your home state of Wyoming. Maybe I should have looked at the map before I typed all the states I had been to?🙄
I had to look at the map, still not sure I got them all. I'm getting a bit old and memories of my early twenties, when I did most of my US travel, are a bit hazy.

12in12

I would love to visit Ben& Jerry' s factory! I visited a chocolate factory in Switzerland and it was so much fun plus a ton of tasting chocolate was included in the tour.
I also love visiting farms where they make cheese in the Netherlands or Parma ham in Italy.:hungry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom