The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

RedNoseMickey

T’s base tuition just went up $500 for ‘19-‘20. 😢... they are increasing $500 per year for the next 3 years and then small increments to follow.
Registration went up by $200... and the athletic club is going up $100 more than it currently is, and each sport increasing by $25.

I’m floored.

The email says it’s because they haven’t increased enough per year over the past 10 years, and for the first time are near a deficit.
They will also be checking to see who does “regular envelopes” at weekly mass or online weekly church donations. If not, then you’re considered out of parish and will pay $2500 more in tuition above what in-parish will pay.

This was not a fun Friday night read. A lot of p’d off parents right now.
Yikes, that is a lot of extra money, I would be unhappy too.

Goofyernmost

They will also be checking to see who does “regular envelopes” at weekly mass or online weekly church donations. If not, then you’re considered out of parish and will pay $2500 more in tuition above what in-parish will pay.
When I was growing up, weekly envelopes were a thing, but, not attached to a threat directly. That related stuff and a multitude of others, including the fact the "sermons" were no longer scripture based, but, more a constant appeal for more money, strongly contributed to my leaving the church.. That was usually connected to a burn in hell, future payback for lack of current payment. Week after week after week, it was the same thing over and over again. It was even in grade school directed at the kids, basically trading lunch money for eternal bliss or more current lack of homework. Those not contributing were given double the workload.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

We've been to Pikes as well. Didn't stay long at the top--the high altitude pressure made my head feel like it was going to explode! :jawdrop: The thinner air didn't help much either for breathing.
We didn't stay long either. For some reason I seem to remember there being a "snack bar" on the top that served donuts, but, that might have been from oxygen deprivation to the brain. My letter opener is a gift shop find that I still have today. Must be pretty good quality to have lasted all these years. I use it all the time, but, it still looks like it never has been touched.

21stamps

I find that disturbing. (If it was me, I'd find another Catholic church in your area to join.)
When I was growing up, weekly envelopes were a thing, but, not attached to a threat directly. That related stuff and a multitude of others, including the fact the "sermons" were no longer scripture based, but, more a constant appeal for more money, strongly contributed to my leaving the church.. That was usually connected to a burn in hell, future payback for lack of current payment. Week after week after week, it was the same thing over and over again. It was even in grade school directed at the kids, basically trading lunch money for eternal bliss or more current lack of homework. Those not contributing were given double the workload.
The parish contributes to the school as well. I’ve known that we have to be ‘active members’ to receive in-parish rates.. but I don’t remember ever seeing that line before.
With T’s sports we often go to a different church for mass. Sometimes i put more money in the envelope for our church because of it, but sometimes not. That part has always creeped me out a bit, wondering who’s counting and checking off names and amounts.

I should make clear though.. the situation was a complete parish and school audit and plan.. Our pastor sent an email last month, on parish wide changes and the reasons.. the actual school tuition email came from the principal yesterday. I expected a smaller increase.

Last edited:

21stamps

Trip Report Part 16:

Not so new San Juan.. Photo Spam..

Before we continue.. forgot to mention we also visited a famous plaza in old San Juan, completely full of doves who literally jump on you to get food out of you.

The place was full of stands and food trucks.. preparing for the festivities.

There are also a few statues of interest..

View attachment 353555
The Christopher Columbus plaza.

View attachment 353563
Some food and stuff..

Getting close..
View attachment 353564

View attachment 353556
Bridge towards the cave. crossing one of the largest rivers of PR.

View attachment 353557
Some of the traditional costumes..

View attachment 353558
Inside the cave.. there were areas where only the trees were keeping stone from falling down. Also there were HUGE bee nests (or wasps?)
View attachment 353559

View attachment 353560

Some museum pieces..
View attachment 353562

The nest..
View attachment 353561

Fantastic pictures! Looks like a wonderful time.

That next is crazy scary looking.

RedNoseMickey

I was talking to a Disney friend about wether moving to Orlando would make WDW less magical. It would be great in theory to be so close by that you can go every weekend or an evening but I'm worried it will make it less special. Maybe it would be better to live within easy driving distance so we could visit lots of weekends? What do my Disney friends think?

Top Bottom