The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MouseDreaming

Dd’s coach put a fb post about it. To be honest I never heard of it up to then. My kids don’t watch those videos thankfully. How horribly sick those people are. How is youtube not able to find the creep and put an end to it. Hopefully there is some behind the scenes stuff going on.
I looked it up, and the first thing that popped was an article. https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/momo-challenge-hoax/583825/

So, as it turns out, well meaning adults are actually responsible.

Songbird76

You speak the language and are raising good kids so I think the Netherlands is lucky to have you.
Aw thanks. Learning the language was important to me. I have a few friends who really weren't motivated to learn it because most people speak English anyway, but I love languages and I think it's an important part of belonging in a community. Just the convenience of being able to ask for directions, or where to find an item in the grocery store....it's really important to at least try.

12in12

Aw thanks. Learning the language was important to me. I have a few friends who really weren't motivated to learn it because most people speak English anyway, but I love languages and I think it's an important part of belonging in a community. Just the convenience of being able to ask for directions, or where to find an item in the grocery store....it's really important to at least try.
I agree, also any official documents or letters are all going to be in Dutch, same with doctor's instructions etc. so it is actually important to learn the language.

Songbird76

I agree, also any official documents or letters are all going to be in Dutch, same with doctor's instructions etc. so it is actually important to learn the language.
Agreed! It's also fun fooling the sales people in stores. I have always spoken English to my kids because I wanted them to learn to speak English too. My family obviously can't speak Dutch, and it was important to me that my kids be able to communicate with their grandpa and my brother, etc. But being the ONLY one who speaks English with them, I knew it would never be their first language. So we're used to speaking English to each other and when we go into stores, people always hear us speaking English and assume we don't speak Dutch, so when we get to a cash register and they address us in Enlglish, it's fun to see the confusion when we suddenly switch to Dutch.
DD, when she was in preschool, had the teachers convinced that she didn't speak Dutch. She would wait when they gave instructions in Dutch and then when they said it in English, she would follow the instructions. They came to me and said I needed to speak Dutch with her because she couldn't understand Dutch, which I knew wasn't true because my in-laws babysat every Friday and had never had trouble. My FIL can't speak English, and they were shocked when I asked them if she had trouble understanding them. So I asked her "Are you pulling a prank on your teachers, pretending you can't speak Dutch?" She giggled and said yes. So I told her she shouldn't do that anymore, and now we all still laugh about how she fooled her teachers at 2 years old. She never did it again after I told her not to. Her teacher was in the choir I used to sing in and she still remembered that and how funny it was.

MySmallWorldof4

If you are going to live in a country, you need to speak the language.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Have we seen @dryerlintfan lately? I don't remember coming across any posts from her in the last couple of weeks. I hope she's allright.
Last posted on Valentines on this thread.
Posted yesterday in the healing thread convo.
Yes she has checked in. I think a few days ago actually, or last week?

I'm here! Limited interaction due to busy life! I have house guests who are competing in the Arnold Classic and A's FOURTH birthday party this weekend, plus I have a full time foster dog and house projects. So I've been keeping busy.

I sat down to start writing too. Going to write a book or two about my childhood living in a school bus.

But seriously.... A is four. FOUR. I feel like I just had her last year, LOL. Time certainly flies.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Agreed. One of the recommended readers for my 11 year old is Number the Stars. When I ordered it I didn’t bother reading what it was about because it was a recommended reader for the curriculum. Then I got it and found out that the stars stood for the Star of David. It is about a girl living in Europe during WW2. I decided to skip it. She has read the Little House books, all The Magic Tree House books, and a few Harry Potter. I have all the Judy Bloom from when I was a kid. Not the “racy” one though. ;) I say leave the harder subject books to high school. I read All Quiet on the Western Front in 10th grade and couldn’t put it down. One of my favorite required reading books. Fine for a high schooler, not grammar schooler.
Number the Stars is a good book. When I taught 7th grade Language Arts that was one of the options for students during our WWII/Holocaust unit that I team taught with our Social Studies teacher.
Thanks. I will read it first. My 11 year old is very sensitive, so I don't know if she is ready for a book about the holocaust yet. We haven't even discussed it. She is in 5th grade.
Number the Stars is and always has been one of my very favorite books. I think you'll find it very mild for the subject matter. It is such an incredible work of art.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I'm here! Limited interaction due to busy life! I have house guests who are competing in the Arnold Classic and A's FOURTH birthday party this weekend, plus I have a full time foster dog and house projects. So I've been keeping busy.

I sat down to start writing too. Going to write a book or two about my childhood living in a school bus.

But seriously.... A is four. FOUR. I feel like I just had her last year, LOL. Time certainly flies.
Happy Birthday to A

Figgy1

Premium Member
Rant: This really irritates me... why don't they just wait and see what happens like they did when I was growing up. More than once they have called off school here and then we don't get the weather predicted. Waste of a day!
No final decision will be made until Sunday but they will make the call by dinner time if it looks as bad then as it does now so parents will have time to make arrangements if need be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom