The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Had to laugh--it was the same with me. No way I'd ever drive on those roads, but I married a guy who grew up in those mountains, and he was fearless driving up and down those suicide inclines!! :jawdrop::D
Those emergency ramps for trucks were crazy scary too! They were so darn steep. How in the heck do the truck drivers not fear going backwards with a semi down a steep ramp. You could tell they were used too because of the tracks.

MySmallWorldof4

On my commute home tonight, I heard of the scheduled closing of the Jack in the Box on Guadalupe Street (also known as “The Drag”) in the heart of the UT campus that has been there for decades. I can’t even remember how many times I and my “buds” late-night frequented that establishment back from about ‘80-84...!!!!! :cautious::hilarious:;):)
Anyway, it’s being torn down to be replaced by a “boutique hotel”, whatever the hell that carp is... :cyclops:
But, ultimately, that reminded me about this commercial, and who else here might remember these Rodney Allen Rippy JitB commercials...???!!!!! :hilarious::happy::)

So cute. He is probably in his 50’s or close to it now. Never saw that commercial since there are no Jack in the Box restaurants anywhere in the Northeast.

MySmallWorldof4

I had many a talk about curriculum with our Superintendent about the 'choices' they made for reading materials and films over glasses of wine. We are good buddies, her DD and my DS are the same age and they even dated a little while way back so we have had some real open, candid talks.

One of my pet peeves is some of the elementary chapter books that are chosen for classroom reading assignments. The kids dog dies in a race and kid carries dead dog over finish line... Kid locked in a shed a chunk of her life and so forth. My DD was assigned by her classroom teachers 3 years in a row (she was an advanced reader) Anne Frank story and report. The 3rd time I said NO! Enough now.

Like Disney Films they gold metal books or classics all seem to revolve around sadness and tragedy at a very young school age. Wonder why a chunk of kids don't enjoy reading look at what is mandated for them to read. I could get my kids easily to read Wimpy Kids, Tree House, Goosebumps, Judy Blume, June B Jone type books. Light hearted and funny. Don't get the need to depress the heck out young kids with deep meaning, soul saddening novels. rant over
Agreed. One of the recommended readers for my 11 year old is Number the Stars. When I ordered it I didn’t bother reading what it was about because it was a recommended reader for the curriculum. Then I got it and found out that the stars stood for the Star of David. It is about a girl living in Europe during WW2. I decided to skip it. She has read the Little House books, all The Magic Tree House books, and a few Harry Potter. I have all the Judy Bloom from when I was a kid. Not the “racy” one though. ;) I say leave the harder subject books to high school. I read All Quiet on the Western Front in 10th grade and couldn’t put it down. One of my favorite required reading books. Fine for a high schooler, not grammar schooler.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Agreed. One of the recommended readers for my 11 year old is Number the Stars. When I ordered it I didn’t bother reading what it was about because it was a recommended reader for the curriculum. Then I got it and found out that the stars stood for the Star of David. It is about a girl living in Europe during WW2. I decided to skip it. She has read the Little House books, all The Magic Tree House books, and a few Harry Potter. I have all the Judy Bloom from when I was a kid. Not the “racy” one though. ;) I say leave the harder subject books to high school. I read All Quiet on the Western Front in 10th grade and couldn’t put it down. One of my favorite required reading books. Fine for a high schooler, not grammar schooler.

Number the Stars is a good book. When I taught 7th grade Language Arts that was one of the options for students during our WWII/Holocaust unit that I team taught with our Social Studies teacher.

MySmallWorldof4

Number the Stars is a good book. When I taught 7th grade Language Arts that was one of the options for students during our WWII/Holocaust unit that I team taught with our Social Studies teacher.
Thanks. I will read it first. My 11 year old is very sensitive, so I don't know if she is ready for a book about the holocaust yet. We haven't even discussed it. She is in 5th grade.

Goofyernmost

Yah, a lot of those mountain roads are really scary!! (Talk about deep drop-offs!) :jawdrop:
My daughter was attending Colorado College in Colorado Springs. We flew there for her graduation. Both my wife, mother and my oldest have always had a fear of heights so it seemed like an opportune time to take the rental car up Pikes Peak. 14,000 feet up there and long winding roads that seemed like they were running along side guardrail-less cliffs. It was hilarious (for me anyway) especially when I would yell out that the brakes had given out. Some people just can't take a joke. My youngest and myself were the only ones not laying across the seat bracing for the inevitable crash down the side of the mountain. Apparently, I had a mean streak back then, but, they all survived it. We also took a side trip to the oldest, highest suspension bridge in the country. This went across a ravine that made the river below look like a line and even a full train going through the valley looked like a toy train. The road way on the bridge was made out of wooden planks with about an inch of space between each one that you could see through to the floor of the canyon. Traffic was crossing it all the time and so were tourist that had parked there cars on the other side and walked back to it to look down. When a car went over it the bridge bounced up and down and creaked like mad. After the time on the bridge we had to drive back over it. I was starting to feel that they were not going to leave the place because they didn't want to go over it again.
To my knowledge the bridge is still standing.

Last edited:

Songbird76

In other news, on the same day I was returning home. I got the confirmation for the next interview (I passed the first test and was waiting for the company to call me for the REAL interview)
Will go to Mexico City next month for the whole enchilada. If I pass, then the next step would be getting selected from the very few of those who will pass and then get the medical.
Wish me luck!
That's amazing news, Cesar!! Congratulations! You were so due for some good! Wishing you a whole lot of luck to make it through!

Songbird76

Yes, went to Yellowstone, Fort Laramie, Cody, and other places. Saw the Buffalo Bill museum.
Oh, Cody is a nice little town! We had All-State music festival there my senior year. I can not recommend nearby Powell, though. Dirty, run down....not a good experience there. The Buffalo Bill museum is in Cody, correct? I went there when I was a kid, but I don't remember a whole lot. We're planning a Wyoming tour, Yellowstone being the highlight, in about 5 years. I want to take the kids to see all the forts, Independence Rock, the Oregon trail, etc. Maybe we'll add Cody to the list....if I remember correctly, there were some pretty nice motels there, too...not 5 star hotels, but clean and affordable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom