The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

Songbird76

Something's wrong I'm done cooking for today. "Fried" rice, "fried" pork Katsura grill style, miso soup, Sweet potato fries, rice, vegan chowder, greens and beans, quiche, stir "fried" green beans with mushrooms and onion, I chopped veggies for salad and made 2 dressings why do I feel as if I forgot to make something?
Because you forgot to send me a plateful?

Songbird76

I have an Uncle that was in the Battle of the Bulge. He didn't really get over it. Initially, he lost his hearing. That came back but he was never the same after that. He ended up an alcoholic, couldn't keep a job because of it, and was mean drunk and he wasn't big enough to back it up. He got beaten up many times because of that trait. Many have said that was the worst battle of the entire war. He died at age 60 of Pancreatic Cancer.
Aw, that's so sad. My dad's brother also came home with a drinking problem. At least, I'm assuming the drinking started when he was in Europe. But that was long before I was born, so I don't know. I just know he was a recovering alcoholic. But he really tried hard to make something of himself. I know he had lost his drivers license for too many DUIs, so he drove around town on a riding lawn mower. (Only in small town Wyoming!) I know he volunteered at the elementary school helping at lunch. His 3rd wife was a teacher there, so I imagine she got him into that to keep him out of trouble, and he also taught a leather working class for the boy scouts or 4H or something....I remember my brother being in that class. He lived next door to my brother's best friends family for years, and the father was also a recovering alcoholic, so they were buddies and supported each other and were very close. It was kind of weird since my brother and I really didn't get along with my dad at the time and my dad had little to do with his siblings, so for my brother's best friend to be closer to our uncle than WE were was odd.

Rista1313

OK, I'm back. Dishes put away, and dishwasher reloaded. Potatoes peeled and cut for dinner making. Dinner prep finished. I did manage to also take down our little bit of xmas decorations, however, they haven't made it to the basement yet....

Figgy1

Premium Member
I made baked potato and sweet potato fries, roasted cauliflower, and Mexican corn and rice with broccoli. Made black bean falafel, hummus,and black bean burgers yesterday. Haven’t made salad dressing yet though. What kind did you make?
I made a carrot, ginger, orange, sesame dressing and a honey mustard dressing. I did forget to make seed pudding:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Songbird76

I made fried egg sandwiches :hungry:
I made an order for Pizza. :p Actually, it was kind of a nightmare. Dominos opened about 2 weeks ago here, and we already had New York Pizza. But Dominos didn't have a Garlic and cheese bread option like NYP does, but Dominos was offering BOGO on Medium pizzas, and they have better cinnamon bread. So DH ordered the garlic bread from NYP, because he has the discount app on his phone, and he was out playing Ingress. So I, being at home on the computer, ordered the pizza and cinnamon bread from Dominos. DH would pick up the dominos order at 5:45, the NYP would be delivered at 6, and I went to the store and got deep freeze pizza for DS, who won't eat delivery. Only, I'm sitting at home waiting for the delivery and DH asks me what time I ordered the pizza for. 5:45. I go to check...I have the confirmation email, but there's no order number on it. I think I hear the motor bike, so I go downstairs to take the delivery, but it was a false alarm, and then DH asks me to send him the confirmation email just as the timer dings for DS's pizza....it's 6 pm, and DS's is the only food there. I run up to forward the email to DH....he says they think he's crazy.
The email's time stamp is 4:39. They tell DH that they go in order that people ordered. He hears a new order called up, so he asks what time that pizza was ordered. 5:30. So he tells her, then don't tell me you go in order, because we ordered an hour BEFORE that and our pizza isn't made yet. So he shows them the email, and only THEN do they start making our pizza, all the while telling DH it's because it's so busy. It's SO busy it takes you more than an hour and a half to make a pizza? (it was 6:10 by this time) In the end, they gave us 4 free drinks, a mini Ben and Jerry's ice cream cup, and a thermal bag for the mix up. But the delivery was supposed to be here at 6, and it was 6:20 and nothing....then DH sends me a text saying "open the door". So I send DD to open the door while I'm cutting DS's pizza. But there's no one there. I was thinking he was standing there with his hands full and couldn't get to his keys...so I text him back....where are you? He says the pizza guy is at the door. Um....no, he's not. DD's standing there, and there's no one there. He went to the wrong house. :banghead: DH pulled up with the Dominos at the same time the NYP guy pulled up, so it all got there at the same time...but both were EXTREMELY late. The best laid plans, I guess. I should have just cooked!

21stamps

My grandfather was at the Battle of the Bulge as well, he too got shot there. He had shrapnel in his neck for the rest of his life, it was lodged in a spot so close to the vertebrae & nerves that they feared if they tried to get it out he would be paralyzed. So he went in regularly for checkups on it to make sure it wasn't shifting, if it was they would've attempted but it never shifted.

He too never really talked about his service. I had to do a report on WWII my sophomore year of high school so I tried to interview him. All he did was tell me about the shrapnel (which I already knew) and listed a couple battles, then he handed me some sort of book that was about his regiment (or platoon or whatever they call it in the Army) and his discharge papers. I wish he would have actually told me more but he didn't. I don't know what happened to that book, I gave it back to him, but I have a copy of his discharge papers.

Overall, he wasn't a warm fuzzy grandfather. He didn't have much interest in me or my sister. However, his brother had been taken captive by the Japanese in WWII and actually was tortured by them, he had his fingernails pried off and part of his thumb chopped off. He was the nicest guy and really caring towards people and he would talk about his experiences I guess (I don't remember much unfortunately). My grandfather actually had 4 brothers that all served in WWII, so a total of 5 sons. He and the brother I mentioned were the only ones injured, so all came back alive. Kind of a miracle really. But it is weird to think of how their experiences might have impacted them so much and in different ways.

I never met my paternal grandfather, he died when my father was a senior in high school. He got cancer as the result of a piece of left over shrapnel in his stomach area. They had removed most of it years prior. By all accounts he was a wonderful funny man, albeit strict. Two of his brothers were also injured during their time in the Army. One of them never did get married. He died 10 years ago.. was a wonderful uncle, but not in the warm fuzzy way. He was quiet, always very thoughtful, and never talked about his service at all.

Rista1313

I made an order for Pizza. :p Actually, it was kind of a nightmare. Dominos opened about 2 weeks ago here, and we already had New York Pizza. But Dominos didn't have a Garlic and cheese bread option like NYP does, but Dominos was offering BOGO on Medium pizzas, and they have better cinnamon bread. So DH ordered the garlic bread from NYP, because he has the discount app on his phone, and he was out playing Ingress. So I, being at home on the computer, ordered the pizza and cinnamon bread from Dominos. DH would pick up the dominos order at 5:45, the NYP would be delivered at 6, and I went to the store and got deep freeze pizza for DS, who won't eat delivery. Only, I'm sitting at home waiting for the delivery and DH asks me what time I ordered the pizza for. 5:45. I go to check...I have the confirmation email, but there's no order number on it. I think I hear the motor bike, so I go downstairs to take the delivery, but it was a false alarm, and then DH asks me to send him the confirmation email just as the timer dings for DS's pizza....it's 6 pm, and DS's is the only food there. I run up to forward the email to DH....he says they think he's crazy.
The email's time stamp is 4:39. They tell DH that they go in order that people ordered. He hears a new order called up, so he asks what time that pizza was ordered. 5:30. So he tells her, then don't tell me you go in order, because we ordered an hour BEFORE that and our pizza isn't made yet. So he shows them the email, and only THEN do they start making our pizza, all the while telling DH it's because it's so busy. It's SO busy it takes you more than an hour and a half to make a pizza? (it was 6:10 by this time) In the end, they gave us 4 free drinks, a mini Ben and Jerry's ice cream cup, and a thermal bag for the mix up. But the delivery was supposed to be here at 6, and it was 6:20 and nothing....then DH sends me a text saying "open the door". So I send DD to open the door while I'm cutting DS's pizza. But there's no one there. I was thinking he was standing there with his hands full and couldn't get to his keys...so I text him back....where are you? He says the pizza guy is at the door. Um....no, he's not. DD's standing there, and there's no one there. He went to the wrong house. :banghead: DH pulled up with the Dominos at the same time the NYP guy pulled up, so it all got there at the same time...but both were EXTREMELY late. The best laid plans, I guess. I should have just cooked!

Good Grief! It's a wonder they are still in business... I don't think they are very popular stateside anymore. We have a local place just a couple blocks down where we get pizza from. I run and get it... because it's faster for me to do that then to wait for delivery. They have free delivery, so they are very busy. One time I picked it up while commercials were on... got back, still the same commercial bank on!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Left overs, giggle and I'm sorry. You could have made it from scratch in about that amount of time. :eek:

Songbird76

I never met my paternal grandfather, he died when my father was a senior in high school. He got cancer as the result of a piece of left over shrapnel in his stomach area. They had removed most of it years prior. By all accounts he was a wonderful funny man, albeit strict. Two of his brothers were also injured during their time in the Army. One of them never did get married. He died 10 years ago.. was a wonderful uncle, but not in the warm fuzzy way. He was quiet, always very thoughtful, and never talked about his service at all.
That's the way my mom's brother was....very quiet, didn't talk about his service, but he was always kind. Her other brother who was too young to enlist was the funny, warm and fuzzy uncle.
I tried to look up my dad's brother just now and instead of finding his brother, my dad's picture from his obituary came up. :cry: I miss him so much.
His dad served in WWI. I should see if I can find anything about HIM online. The only thing about dad's brother was in a local paper that I would have to pay for a subscription for...not worth it to access one article.

Songbird76

Good Grief! It's a wonder they are still in business... I don't think they are very popular stateside anymore. We have a local place just a couple blocks down where we get pizza from. I run and get it... because it's faster for me to do that then to wait for delivery. They have free delivery, so they are very busy. One time I picked it up while commercials were on... got back, still the same commercial bank on!
Wow....that's impressive! I think the only reason it was so busy is because they've only been open for a couple of weeks, so they are the shiny new business that everyone wants to try, and then they had the BOGO deal on mediums. SOMETHING must have gone wrong with the website and either our order didn't get sent through to them, OR they had so many orders come in that they just didn't see ours in the mix. It's understandable, but when DH first asked, they should have actually checked the system rather than just tell him that they make the pizzas in the order that they come in and it's really busy and all these other people want their pizza too. We obviously get that everyone wants their pizza, but you should at least check to make sure you didn't miss an order! And in the end, they had to give us a bunch of free stuff to make up for the fact that they were 45 minutes late with the order because they didn't check the system and they missed it completely and had already started filling orders that came in an hour after ours. Just REALLY poor customer service....they'll either learn from their mistakes and improve, or they won't last long. But first world problems, right? I shouldn't complain. I didn't have to cook. (I don't count heating DS's pizza as "cooking")

Songbird76

Left overs, giggle and I'm sorry. You could have made it from scratch in about that amount of time. :eek:
I know!! I totally could have, and it probably would have been better pizza! Oh well. We were fed, so it all worked out. It was just frustrating. But DH said he was glad the delivery guy was late, because otherwise it would have all been cold, waiting for the dominos. Apparently we just shouldn't have ordered pizza tonight!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom