The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Something's wrong I'm done cooking for today. "Fried" rice, "fried" pork Katsura grill style, miso soup, Sweet potato fries, rice, vegan chowder, greens and beans, quiche, stir "fried" green beans with mushrooms and onion, I chopped veggies for salad and made 2 dressings why do I feel as if I forgot to make something?
I made baked potato and sweet potato fries, roasted cauliflower, and Mexican corn and rice with broccoli. Made black bean falafel, hummus,and black bean burgers yesterday. Haven’t made salad dressing yet though. What kind did you make?

MySmallWorldof4

btw, after I did my part and arrived at the next step the website states: "get comfortable" ....you have 30 to 40 minutes to go :rolleyes:
Ugh, that stinks! I am glad I am having dd take the ACT. They have their own online study course. It was cheap too, only about $40. Since it is their test, I figured it was safe to pay for their study help. She will take it in April.

donaldtoo

May he be remembered for his service. I obviously didn't know him, but he must have been an incredible guy...to serve in WWII and then go on to 112 years!! Wow...salute indeed!!

Indeed, indeed...!!! ;):)
I know I’ve posted this before, but, some weren’t here the last time I did...
My first job in HS was working at a local go-kart track for a WWII vet and his wife.
He was a Navy Seabee during the war. He shared many stories with us. My favorite was of him driving across a South Pacific island (either Saipan or Peleliu, I can’t remember which anymore) airstrip in a Jeep in his dress uniform and cap and being shot at by a holdout Japanese sniper...luckily, the bullet went through the top of his cap, missing his head by about 1/2 inch...!!!!!!! :eek:
He made the cover of Stars and Stripes magazine for that incident, and showed us the copy he had saved for all those years.
Some of us early employees remained good friends with them for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, she passed about a decade before he did from lung cancer. He passed from natural causes.
I still miss them very much. They were such neat people, and we always called them Mama and Papa...they were like second parents to us.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

I have an Uncle that was in the Battle of the Bulge. He didn't really get over it. Initially, he lost his hearing. That came back but he was never the same after that. He ended up an alcoholic, couldn't keep a job because of it, and was mean drunk and he wasn't big enough to back it up. He got beaten up many times because of that trait. Many have said that was the worst battle of the entire war. He died at age 60 of Pancreatic Cancer.
Sad.

MySmallWorldof4

Indeed, indeed...!!! ;):)
I know I’ve posted this before, but, some weren’t here the last time I did...
My first job in HS was working at a local go-kart track for a WWII vet and his wife.
He was a Navy Seabee during the war. He shared many stories with us. My favorite was of him driving across a South Pacific island (either Saipan or Peleliu, can’t remember which anymore) airstrip in his dress uniform and cap and being shot at by a holdout Japanese sniper...luckily, the bullet went through the top of his cap, missing his head by about 1/2 inch...!!!!!!! :eek:
He made the cover of Stars and Stripes magazine for that incident, and showed us the copy he had saved for all those years.
Some of us early employees remained good friends with them for the rest of their lives. Unfortunately, she passed about a decade before he did from lung cancer. He passed from natural causes.
I still miss them very much. They were such neat people, and we always called them Mama and Papa...they were like second parents to us.
I was checking out at the grocery store last week, and an older gentleman behind started talking to the cashier and me. He mentioned how expensive food was coming and how grateful we should be for being able to pay for it. I wholeheartedly agreed. Then he went to go on about his time in Vietnam. It was nice speaking to him. You never know how well you have it until life is brought into perspective.

Rista1313

Those of you getting bad weather stay safe! Cuddle up at home and have some hot cocoa (if you like) and watch some movies! :)

By us it is a gray day, but the temp is somewhat mild. It is so strange though to look outside in the middle of January and see only scant traces of old snow and ice and bare ground. I'm sure we will get our fair share in the future but I can't remember any year of my life it being almost mid-January without snow cover. To be honest it makes me happy and sad all at the same time. My co-worker is convinced that she and I have jinxed the weather because we both bought sets of snowshoes to use this winter!:joyfull:

Cold and gray here today too, it looks like that snow is staying just below us... and I'm ok with that... we have zero snow... and I'm ok with that too!

donaldtoo

I was checking out at the grocery store last week, and an older gentleman behind started talking to the cashier and me. He mentioned how expensive food was coming and how grateful we should be for being able to pay for it. I wholeheartedly agreed. Then he went to go on about his time in Vietnam. It was nice speaking to him. You never know how well you have it until life is brought into perspective.

Yep, any time I even start to try to have a pity party for myself I nip it in the bud. My problems are minuscule compared to the problems others have gone through or, continue to go through, life experience-wise, health-wise, etc.
Even my complaining about other drivers yesterday is petty, comparatively. But, we are also all used to the particular stations in life we exist in and the lives we lead, and that is what it is...

AA6F393D-1E0C-4CDB-938B-53793162CB9A.png

;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Something's wrong I'm done cooking for today. "Fried" rice, "fried" pork Katsura grill style, miso soup, Sweet potato fries, rice, vegan chowder, greens and beans, quiche, stir "fried" green beans with mushrooms and onion, I chopped veggies for salad and made 2 dressings why do I feel as if I forgot to make something?

We're having hot dogs and tabouleh (local, Middle Eastern food company makes it) as a side. :hungry: Easy peasey for a Saturday night dinner! :joyfull:

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have an Uncle that was in the Battle of the Bulge. He didn't really get over it. Initially, he lost his hearing. That came back but he was never the same after that. He ended up an alcoholic, couldn't keep a job because of it, and was mean drunk and he wasn't big enough to back it up. He got beaten up many times because of that trait. Many have said that was the worst battle of the entire war. He died at age 60 of Pancreatic Cancer.

My condolences. Years ago, they didn't have as many medical/psychiatric services available to veterans. Sorry to hear that he led a sad life after the war.

Rista1313

You make me feel lazy! I need to go do the dishes and cook something.

Today we are having a Polish dish called, "Potato Kluski" Some people make them tiny as they are like dumplings. They put them in soup. My family makes them HUGE and pairs them with butter (some use onions) and cottage cheese for a meal.

I don't make them very often, because they are very heavy. I love them though, comfort food for me.

eta: picture

12465794_10153260832451301_3879675372039863655_o.jpg

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Glad to hear that people wanted to give him a fitting tribute. Nice to hear positive news.

Yes, it was a really beautiful tribute to his life.
As they said, he never met a stranger, he was compassionate, caring, patient, etc., and he loved his cigars and whiskey, which he himself professed often!
The governor, the mayor, and an Army general all spoke. The generals speech was particularly moving in the way he described the experiences that Richard Overton had actually been through during WWII.
An amazing man that lived an amazingly long, good life.
Again, may he Rest In Peace...

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
You make me feel lazy! I need to go do the dishes and cook something.

Today we are having a Polish dish called, "Potato Kluski" Some people make them tiny as they are like dumplings. They put them in soup. My family makes them HUGE and pairs them with butter (some use onions) and cottage cheese for a meal.

I don't make them very often, because they are very heavy. I love them though, comfort food for me.

:hungry: Those must be delicious!! (Make extra . . . ;) )

Songbird76

My grandfather was at the Battle of the Bulge as well, he too got shot there. He had shrapnel in his neck for the rest of his life, it was lodged in a spot so close to the vertebrae & nerves that they feared if they tried to get it out he would be paralyzed. So he went in regularly for checkups on it to make sure it wasn't shifting, if it was they would've attempted but it never shifted.

He too never really talked about his service. I had to do a report on WWII my sophomore year of high school so I tried to interview him. All he did was tell me about the shrapnel (which I already knew) and listed a couple battles, then he handed me some sort of book that was about his regiment (or platoon or whatever they call it in the Army) and his discharge papers. I wish he would have actually told me more but he didn't. I don't know what happened to that book, I gave it back to him, but I have a copy of his discharge papers.

Overall, he wasn't a warm fuzzy grandfather. He didn't have much interest in me or my sister. However, his brother had been taken captive by the Japanese in WWII and actually was tortured by them, he had his fingernails pried off and part of his thumb chopped off. He was the nicest guy and really caring towards people and he would talk about his experiences I guess (I don't remember much unfortunately). My grandfather actually had 4 brothers that all served in WWII, so a total of 5 sons. He and the brother I mentioned were the only ones injured, so all came back alive. Kind of a miracle really. But it is weird to think of how their experiences might have impacted them so much and in different ways.
Wow...that's really interesting...and so sad that the one was tortured! My mom was an "oops" so she was the youngest of 3 and her two brothers were a lot older than her. The one who served in WWII was 13 years her senior, and she remembered him sending her little things while he was in Europe. He sent her some lace gloves from...I want to say Austria maybe? And some clogs from Belgium, a charm bracelet, and I remember her showing me a charm on it that he sent from Paris. Whenever he had a day of leave, he'd write and send her things...he was kind of like a dad to her because their dad died when she was only 2, and being so much older than her, he was the man of the house. Somewhere, I have a box with keepsakes and one of the things was letters he sent to them and they are fascinating because they couldn't tell you where they were, so any mention of places was blacked out. He did send a picture once of the Dutch Princess Juliana riding through in a carriage. I'm not sure how he did that....must have just sent it regular post, not from their base? But the younger brother was 10 years older than my mom and was chomping at the bit to join the military and tried to get his mom to sign a form for him to enter at 17, but she wouldn't do it. And then the war ended just before he turned 18 I guess, so he never got to serve, which I think is actually a blessing.
My dad's brother was also 12 or 13 years older than him, and he also served, but I know much less about his service. I know he was in Europe, but have no idea what battles or even what branch of the military he was in. I would guess, coming from a ranch, it would have involved horses if that was a possibility, but I really don't know. He came home with a drinking problem and he died in his 70s. I think I was only about 12 or 13 when he passed and I knew my mom's family a lot better even though we were in Wyoming and they were in Illinois, and my dad's family was all in the same county as us. They just didn't spend much time together and I didn't even know I had cousins on that side of the family until my uncle passed and I met them at the funeral. So I really have no idea about any of his service. I understand that there are apparently a LOT of veterans who won't talk about their service and what they saw in that period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom