The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MOXOMUMD

The Wiz is basically a two hour statement of the times and it is fabulous. I think you really have to see it to understand. They take jungle monkeys who are kind of comical, pathetic characters in WOZ and turn them into kickass warriors.

I don't think they were saying that WOZ was trying to belittle anyone. I think they were using those characters to make a statement about society and reclaim power for the oppressed.

Like I said, I don't think it was about being politically correct at all. A lot of the musical could actually be taken as offensive. It pushes the envelope, especially for that time period.
Actually in this case, you are wrong. (And being in a mixed family I see both sides, that's why I originally said I wouldn't comment further.) But seeing as this topic keeps coming up...I cut this from a partial interview of Harvey Fierstein (brilliant man) who rewrote The Wiz for The Wiz Live, which will be going to Broadway next year. This explains why he changed their name. Now we can finally put this debate to rest.

Screenshot_2015-12-20-09-30-30.jpg

French Quarter

a company that buys huge blocks of inventory on hotels, to resell to smaller vendors, travel agents and tour operators for very low prices.
imagine a onion in layers.. concentrators are the innermost layer anyone can buy from the hotel. and usually the cheapest
then the big conglomerators are next (big travel agency companies). then travel agency companies.... then the public prices.

Thank you for the explanation. I think I get it.

Cesar R M

Is any of the implant covered by insurance? I have no clue how medical costs are covered down your way. I'm sure the upgrade is worth every penny but that's still a ton of money. Once Ratchet comes in you're welcome to camp out at my house and play it. it will be in during lawn mowing season :D right before we leave for Florida
Insurance in Mexico is worse than in the USA, they pretty much give you the finger on most of the stuff.
my loss is still considered "preexisting condition". since I have been deaf since I was 10 years old.
so yeah, no insurance help on my implant and other stuff.. all needs to be from and by my pocket.
I swear with the money that I and my father spent on my deafness stuff..I would have bought 3 luxury houses and a few cars.

French Quarter

When my DD and I did the QS dining plan we went without any dining reservations. We hit 3 popular TS impromptu. She actually made one ADR for Prime Time during a rainstorm while we on the boat from Epcot to the Studios so we could eat and get out of the storm until it passed. We had enough time to get off the boat, enter park and pretty much be seated within a few minutes. Still we heard several people being turned away as walk ups. I think the hardest is when groups are above 4.

We have never had trouble finding tables on the fly either.

French Quarter

Ha! So true.

I did most of my Christmas Shopping yesterday. Hours and hours of shopping. I headed over to the Woodfield Mall areas however I didn't enter the Mall. It is very built up around there with so many free standing stores and Stripmall areas for a mile in every direction around that place. I know how to navigate the back door entrances 'cause I lived around there over 30 years ago and the back streets didn't change much.

By evening I was seeing and hearing all sorts of emergency vehicles heading into Woodfield, different than the medical emergency I've seen for decades. Gulp. Eventually I heard rumors it was a fight in Victoria Secret. Lines make people go to the darkside too, talk about anger and hate.

It's probably a sickness but I find it amusing how stressed people get at this time of year for no good reason. We willingly went to the mall yesterday to let the kids use the gift cards they got for Christmas. It was pretty civilized but people were impatient, pushing by people. I just kept humming Christmas carols every time someone bumped into me.

Cesar R M

I almost never have a Christmas tree. I always go to their homes and since my apartment is small, there isn't a lot of room to entertain, especially with small ones and early teens there is no real need to put one up. Besides, I hate Christmas or, at least, the Christmas season. It seems to bring out the worst in everyone. My dislike started years ago when I had jobs in businesses that were "against the wall" busy during that season. Long hours, little rest, dealing with grumpy people, etc.

Now I enjoy immensely my time with my family on Christmas itself, but, the rest of the time I get nothing from it and pretty much cannot wait until it's over. As a religious holiday, it's fine. As a commercial one, it sucks big time. OK, that's my true confession for the year. Hopefully, it didn't offend anyone as it is my personal feel based on my experiences. I am glad for people that get a lot out of the season, just not me.
you could go always "f...the commercial aspect", and only do family reunions with home made food.
no gifts.

French Quarter

I almost never have a Christmas tree. I always go to their homes and since my apartment is small, there isn't a lot of room to entertain, especially with small ones and early teens there is no real need to put one up. Besides, I hate Christmas or, at least, the Christmas season. It seems to bring out the worst in everyone. My dislike started years ago when I had jobs in businesses that were "against the wall" busy during that season. Long hours, little rest, dealing with grumpy people, etc.

Now I enjoy immensely my time with my family on Christmas itself, but, the rest of the time I get nothing from it and pretty much cannot wait until it's over. As a religious holiday, it's fine. As a commercial one, it sucks big time. OK, that's my true confession for the year. Hopefully, it didn't offend anyone as it is my personal feel based on my experiences. I am glad for people that get a lot out of the season, just not me.

I am with you. It's much too commercialized. I buy a small amount of gifts and 90% of it is done online and 5% at the couple of craft fairs I go to. The stores just turn me off Christmas. That being said, I do see a lot of generosity at Christmas that I don't see at other times of the year. I wish people were that generous all year 'round but I guess we should take what we can get. I rather focus on being together and those great traditions that allow us to spend time with each other.

French Quarter

Actually in this case, you are wrong. (And being in a mixed family I see both sides, that's why I originally said I wouldn't comment further.) But seeing as this topic keeps coming up...I cut this from a partial interview of Harvey Fierstein (brilliant man) who rewrote The Wiz for The Wiz Live, which will be going to Broadway next year. This explains why he changed their name. Now we can finally put this debate to rest.

View attachment 123814

I guess I'm not seeing how I'm wrong. This seems to affirm my point...which is, when the Wiz originally came out, it wasn't concerned with being politically correct. You have posted an excerpt about the recent adaptation, which may very well be a different kettle of fish and it's too bad that they wuzzed out. (But I did enjoy it.) Brown was not trying to be P.C. when he wrote the book nor was Smalls when he wrote the musical. Are you saying I'm wrong about that? Because that was my total point. The Wiz was meant to be political and wasn't concerned with who it offended...this is the opposite of politically correct.

Songbird76

I recently found a bunch of childhood photos, which included my 7th birthday at Disneyland! Here are some of them (circa 1976).

The main gate:
View attachment 122684

Tea cups!
View attachment 122685

I believe this was a Bicentennial parade? Note the real grass back then!
View attachment 122686

Boat ride (I still miss it!):
View attachment 122687
Those are so cool!! Somewhere I have a photo album with pictures from our trip to Disney when I was about 3. My great aunt and uncle were celebrating a big anniversary and they lived in Florida, so the whole family went down and we went to Disney. I of course don't remember it, but I have the pictures!

French Quarter

well, no idea. Because I know Lloyd Webber alot, but never heard of this Mr. Berlin o_O

Really? Do you at least no White Christmas and Annie Get Your Gun? Hugely popular musicals and movies. Berlin was one of the founding fathers of Broadway. He wrote much of the popular music of his time too, recorded by people like Frank Sinatra, Barbara Streissand, Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, etc. Do you know "God Bless America"? He wrote that too. He was an amazing cat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom