The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I'm sure the Pfizer vaccine will arrive within a reasonable timeframe for you. My CVS was one in the first wave, and perhaps the pharmaceutical company bases delivery schedule per number of active cases in the area. The Northeast was ticking upward, but still not nearly as high as the past few years. By the way --

I had no side effects (just a slightly sore arm at the injection site) from the shot yesterday. Hubs got his shot a few days ago and he didn't have any effects either. As for the tire discussion --

I looked at the price breakdown. (The new tires were exactly the same brand as the originals.) Anyway, 4 tires for $600; plus MA sales tax, $40.00; installation, $134.96; alignment, $114.99; so, grand total: $890.95.
Transportation ain't cheap! I just had to have a new battery installed on the road by AAA. Just that cost $280.00
I only have one major fear and that is that there will come a time, in the not to distant future, when I will no longer be able to drive due to age and/or health. That day will see me in a very bad mood.

I had a very mild reaction to the first Covid one, but after that nothing. I'm usually oblivious to shots. About a month ago I had a renew of my tetanus vaccine. They told me that my arm will be very sore for a day or two. I had no such pain and in fact forgot all about it until a few days later when I finally noticed that the Band-Aid was still on. But now I can step on nails safely.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wow! Just for them to screw on lugnuts
In a sense, yes, I believe you're correct. (But, I wouldn't want these guys to work for low pay, either. There are a number of steps involved in the process, even if it's a very common procedure.) I'm just glad they're there -- some of the various car repair shops in my area are short staffed these days. Side note: There's actually a new regional tech high school opening, that focuses on the trades, as trained workers are in very high demand.

Goofyernmost

In a sense, yes, I believe you're correct. (But, I wouldn't want these guys to work for low pay, either. There are a number of steps involved in the process, even if it's a very common procedure.) I'm just glad they're there -- some of the various car repair shops in my area are short staffed these days. Side note: There's actually a new regional tech high school opening, that focuses on the trades, as trained workers are in very high demand.
Yea, that process requires the removal of those lug nuts, taking the old tire off the wheel, mounting the new tires on the wheels, balancing the tires so you have a smooth ride (there is a certain skill to the balancing part, not everyone is good at doing that), and putting them back on ones car. There was a time when that was included in the price of the tire, but in todays world every action has an "extra cost" added on. The actual taking the tires off the car and reinstalling them is about a 4 minute job.

I was at first hesitant to use a place called "Discount Tire" but the price difference between them an everyone else was huge. I have been really happy with the tires and the service. Not long after I bought them, one of the tires managed to pick up a nail* and they repaired it at no charge to me.

*There is so much construction going on around this area that I have had four tires that needed repair and one that needed to be replaced because of those construction areas. Before I moved here 13 years ago, I had a car for 47 years in Vermont and only had one nail induced tire repair that I can remember.

Lilofan

I'm sure the Pfizer vaccine will arrive within a reasonable timeframe for you. My CVS was one in the first wave, and perhaps the pharmaceutical company bases delivery schedule per number of active cases in the area. The Northeast was ticking upward, but still not nearly as high as the past few years. By the way --

I had no side effects (just a slightly sore arm at the injection site) from the shot yesterday. Hubs got his shot a few days ago and he didn't have any effects either. As for the tire discussion --

I looked at the price breakdown. (The new tires were exactly the same brand as the originals.) Anyway, 4 tires for $600; plus MA sales tax, $40.00; installation, $134.96; alignment, $114.99; so, grand total: $890.95.
Doctors advised our family that seniors get the pneumonia and RSV vaccine that if exposed without getting the shots could have the person end up in ICU or worse.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Didn't watch the whole game but knowing where the game was played I'm betting you got homered....
I didn't bother for that reason. I get sick of the blatant favoritism in the NFL. Before it was the Patriots and Golden boy Tom Brady; now it's the Chiefs with Maholmes. Doesn't help that Taylor Swift (who we all know I love, all hail the childless cat lady queen) is dating Kelce either and bringing in female viewership.

Lilofan

I didn't bother for that reason. I get sick of the blatant favoritism in the NFL. Before it was the Patriots and Golden boy Tom Brady; now it's the Chiefs with Maholmes. Doesn't help that Taylor Swift (who we all know I love, all hail the childless cat lady queen) is dating Kelce either and bringing in female viewership.
Age old sexist trope? Taylor and Disney / a great match in millions of fans watched on Disney+ her concert Eras tour. Pats and Chiefs have a little something in common - multiple Super Bowl championships. What's the issue of more female viewership? The more the merrier!

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Age old sexist trope? Taylor and Disney / a great match in millions of fans watched on Disney+ her concert Eras tour. Pats and Chiefs have a little something in common - multiple Super Bowl championships. What's the issue of more female viewership? The more the merrier!
You have said so many sexist things that it's wild for you to claim I'm being sexist. I'm not going to do this with you since you are clearly looking for an argument here.

Lilofan

You have said so many sexist things that it's wild for you to claim I'm being sexist. I'm not going to do this with you since you are clearly looking for an argument here.
I suggest reread your post . The childless cat lady remark is indeed an age old sexist troupe. Have a good night!

Lilofan

Car service centers especially dealers make substantial profits when charging for labor. In regards to parts DIY I change my engine air filter and cabin air filter myself. It takes literally less than 30 sec to do each. Filters at Honda cost $30 each and the dealer charges ( $200 for parts and labor charge for air filter and cabin filter replacement ).

Last edited:

Lilofan

Last summer I bought four tires at Discount Tire for $450.00. I've had 3 tire rotations since then at no charge at all and I have yet to even notice any wear. There must be some after 15K miles, but not enough to be obvious. Rotations help that situation especially on front wheel drive cars.

As usual, the VA is at that bottom of the list for delivery of the Pfizer Covid Vaccine. Should be arriving soon. I think that will make my 7th one. The seasonal flu one should be coming up soon too.
My aunt’s ex is retired Navy and has VA health care/ benefits and also I believe signed up and has Medicare when he was eligible . If you have Medicare , CVS has the update Covid booster . I have received my 7th shot and my mother got her 6th shot. Discount Tire is my place for tires. Recently a number of nationwide locations are being fitted with alignment tools to check and service all things alignment.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Car service centers especially dealers make substantial profits when charging for labor. In regards to parts DIY I change my engine air filter and cabin air filter myself. It takes literally less than 30 sec to do each. Filters at Honda cost $30 each and the dealer charges ( $200 for parts and labor charge for air filter and cabin filter replacement ).
The basic jobs you mentioned above, are something that hubs has done for years (he used to be a mechanic years ago, prior to cars being computerized, etc.). However, the car we have now is on a lease, and the basic maint. (oil change, filter, etc.) all goes through their dealership shop, per the lease agreement.

We're hoping to buy the car at the end of the lease next spring, and then hubs can go back to doing much of his own work (except for jobs requiring a hoist/lift, and/or certain other tools and updated computer devices -- that he doesn't have).

Goofyernmost

The basic jobs you mentioned above, are something that hubs has done for years (he used to be a mechanic years ago, prior to cars being computerized, etc.). However, the car we have now is on a lease, and the basic maint. (oil change, filter, etc.) all goes through their dealership shop, per the lease agreement.

We're hoping to buy the car at the end of the lease next spring, and then hubs can go back to doing much of his own work (except for jobs requiring a hoist/lift, and/or certain other tools and updated computer devices -- that he doesn't have).
I always did my own oil changes and filters and greasing back when that was necessary. I also did brakes, tune ups and other minor repairs. As you said, todays cars have complex computers in them and needs a diagnostic tool to even figure out what is wrong with them. That and my age stopped me from doing my own and now I don't even have a place to do that minor maintenance other than out in the parking lot.

I do have a neighbor next door that works on his car constantly. Every Sunday like clock work, the hood is up and he is tinkering with something in the engine compartment and looks like he is building a robot with every possible after market thing that he can find. I suspect that one of these days I will see that car on one of those "'Customer says" You Tube video's.

I was something like that in my youth, but at least back then the parts of the engine were definable. Heck, I even overhauled the engine on a six cylinder Chevy one time. That's not the case anymore. I think I mentioned once that my 2005 Cadillac Deville had a plastic engine cover on it and after owning it for 8 years and putting over 100k miles on the car, I never once saw what the engine looked like. I was to busy looking at my shrinking bank account trying to keep it maintained. I also didn't know where the battery was located until it went dead and then I found out the it was under the back seat. $350 just to buy the battery with the recommended strength to handle all the electronics the car had. Only the dealer carried that specific battery. Loved the car, hated the repair cost which started almost a day after the 100K warranty ended.

Wrinkles have now replace the grease and oil stained hands that I once sported.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I always did my own oil changes and filters and greasing back when that was necessary. I also did brakes, tune ups and other minor repairs. As you said, todays cars have complex computers in them and needs a diagnostic tool to even figure out what is wrong with them. That and my age stopped me from doing my own and now I don't even have a place to do that minor maintenance other than out in the parking lot.

I do have a neighbor next door that works on his car constantly. Every Sunday like clock work, the hood is up and he is tinkering with something in the engine compartment and looks like he is building a robot with every possible after market thing that he can find. I suspect that one of these days I will see that car on one of those "'Customer says" You Tube video's.

I was something like that in my youth, but at least back then the parts of the engine were definable. Heck, I even overhauled the engine on a six cylinder Chevy one time. That's not the case anymore. I think I mentioned once that my 2005 Cadillac Deville had a plastic engine cover on it and after owning it for 8 years and putting over 100k miles on the car, I never once saw what the engine looked like. I was to busy looking at my shrinking bank account trying to keep it maintained. I also didn't know where the battery was located until it went dead and then I found out the it was under the back seat. $350 just to buy the battery with the recommended strength to handle all the electronics the car had. Only the dealer carried that specific battery. Loved the car, hated the repair cost which started almost a day after the 100K warranty ended.

Wrinkles have now replace the grease and oil stained hands that I once sported.
Yah, I hear you. That's been hubs complaint as well -- car systems were more "definable" to use your term. The last diagnostic tool he had was the computer code reader for our old 2007 Chevy. He'll have a to buy a new one (among other things) to do some of the mechanics on his own -- if we do end up buying the Nissan.

Lilofan

Doing repairs on your own surely saves a substantial amount of $$. I like the YouTube tutorials on DIY on many things on cars and other items.

Lilofan

Yah, I hear you. That's been hubs complaint as well -- car systems were more "definable" to use your term. The last diagnostic tool he had was the computer code reader for our old 2007 Chevy. He'll have a to buy a new one (among other things) to do some of the mechanics on his own -- if we do end up buying the Nissan.
The nice part of my rides 2016 and pre 2016 is it came with multi port fuel injection. Many vehicles now come with direct injection that over time has the intake valves build up with carbon deposits. Friends and family drive DI vehicles and these issues usually occur within 2-3 years of driving and the only real proper way of cleaning is cleaning the intake manifold by hand and or walnut blasting which is labor intensive and not cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom