The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

I would think property taxes are somewhat built into apt renters monthly payments. How would the owner of the apt complex pay for the annual property taxes to the county otherwise?

Exactly. I’m not trying to be a PITA…all of that CoDB is passed on to the renter…they couldn’t stay in “bidness” if they didn’t.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Exactly. I’m not trying to be a PITA…all of that CoDB is passed on to the renter…they couldn’t stay in “bidness” if they didn’t.
Probably varies from state to state and/or municipality to municipality. I've never seen a property tax bill. My hunch is that when landlords sometimes raise the rent, some of that "might" be due to covering some of the tax bill. But again, I've never seen an actual tax bill, in all the years I've been renting.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just got back to crapville. The piano player in baggage claim was playing let it go 😂

An hours delay in Orlando... thunderstorm and they fixed a light which had paperwork apparently but too cloudy to see the moon.
Well, I'm glad you had a nice vacation, though. As for delays in Orlando, I'd say that maybe 50% of the flights back up to had have been delayed in the afternoons down there, due to thunderstorms. It was a treat when any flight I was booked on, actually went out on time. ;)

Goofyernmost

I keep seeing no property taxes if you rent. Also, no maintenance. I know you’re not being charged directly for either, but, here anyway, those costs are wrapped up in your rent. It’s part of the owner’s CoDB.
Is it different somehow in NC…?
Of course over all it is included in the rent, but it is spread out over long periods of time in small doses. That is important when one is on a low fixed income. One doesn't have to replace Central Air conditioners, Refrigerator, Stoves, Roofs or other expensive items constantly. Most will last a long time, but they can shatter your budget when they do. I don't have to come up with $1500.00 for a large kitchen appliance or go out and find one.

One of the big things that no younger person thinks about, I know I didn't, is that there are no guarantee's that we will stay healthy and able to be mobile as we age. But, if one is afflicted with debilitating illness who mows your lawn, who paints your house or seals your driveway, trims your hedges and so on. All services that cost extra and in real time, not spread out over lower equal monthly payments.

There are positives and negatives to renting or home ownership, but sometimes it is just easier. I realize the a lot of people are very attached emotionally to their home. In that sense I guess I am lucky, to me home is where I live and my memories are, at least for now, still firmly in my head. They don't require a special building to stay alive. No matter how much energy and ability one has today, doesn't mean the same thing will apply a month from now.

If one finds themselves alone in a house full of memories, it can be depressing. Even when I got divorced, in my early 50's, I remember sitting alone in my long time home, the place where we raised our children and 30 years of married life no longer were there, the echo's of the good times from the past where always haunting me. I would sit in my living room and almost hear the little footsteps of my girls, the laughter, the noise, the good and the bad but mostly the joy. When I moved to an apartment complex surrounded with people it was a healing experience. That is true, especially now that I live in Senior Apartments. I am surrounded with people my age and still have freedom to get in my car and leave and return at will. If nothing else to spend time chatting with them or being alone instead of forced solitude. If we are lucky, old age comes to all of us and from what I can tell it takes us all by surprise, but aging requires more preparation then stashing away money. A whole lot of factors enter into the scenario that we didn't even slightly think about as we sped through life.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Of course over all it is included in the rent, but it is spread out over long periods of time in small doses. That is important when one is on a low fixed income. One doesn't have to replace Central Air conditioners, Refrigerator, Stoves, Roofs or other expensive items constantly. Most will last a long time, but they can shatter your budget when they do. I don't have to come up with $1500.00 for a large kitchen appliance or go out and find one.

One of the big things that no younger person thinks about, I know I didn't, is that there are no guarantee's that we will stay healthy and able to be mobile as we age. But, if one is afflicted with debilitating illness who mows your lawn, who paints your house or seals your driveway, trims your hedges and so on. All services that cost extra and in real time, not spread out over lower equal monthly payments.

There are positives and negatives to renting or home ownership, but sometimes it is just easier. I realize the a lot of people are very attached emotionally to their home. In that sense I guess I am lucky, to me home is where I live and my memories are, at least for now, still firmly in my head. They don't require a special building to stay alive. No matter how much energy and ability one has today, doesn't mean the same thing will apply a month from now.

If one finds themselves alone in a house full of memories, it can be depressing. Even when I got divorced, in my early 50's, I remember sitting alone in my long time home, the place where we raised our children and 30 years of married life no longer were there, the echo's of the good times from the past where always haunting me. I would sit in my living room and almost hear the little footsteps of my girls, the laughter, the noise, the good and the bad but mostly the joy. When I moved to an apartment complex surrounded with people it was a healing experience. That is true, especially now that I live in Senior Housing. I am surrounded with people my age and still have a freedom got in my car and leave and return at will. If nothing else to spend time chatting with them or being alone instead of forced solitude. If we are lucky, old age comes to all of us and from what I can tell it takes us all by surprise, but aging requires more preparation then stashing away money. A whole lot of factors enter into the scenario that we didn't even slightly think about as we sped through life.
Well said. I met a senior on the Auto Train to FL and he lost his wife. He lives in a senior living community in the Jersey Shore and he said he loves it, the community, events, the beach. Moving away from the home and town he lived in worked out for him.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

You are talking about individual rented houses. We are talking about rental communities regular or senior. In those cases the taxes are split by the number of apartments. It is a joint cost. In my case, we have 100+ apartments in this building alone, since it is owned by a corporation it is taxed as one unit to the corporation. Yes, we all pay a portion over the year, but it is minor compared to what an individual home owner would have to pay by themselves. Even apartment complexes are figured the same way.

If you rent a one bedroom the rent is whatever, but it is based on that one bedroom, then if you go to a two bedroom your rent is higher. That my friend is the additional way they recover the tax and overall maintenance costs. Three bedroom even more and so on. Whatever the situation, I do not get a property tax bill. I just get a constant monthly charge, tax included. Which is much less then what I paid for taxes. If you own you home outright, you don't have a mortgage payment, but you do have a whole bunch of equity that only fate determines if you will ever get to benefit from it. If you have a lengthy independent retirement plan, pension and savings then it is obviously worthwhile to stay put and only pay for the problems and the taxes. It is the unforeseen problems that can jump up that become problematic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom