The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Happy first farm market Saturday of the year:joyfull: It's early so just green/kale/lettuce and eggs but it's nice that is back open:joyfull:

We took MIL to ours earlier today, and plan on goin’ back earlier next Saturday…they’re open from 9a-1p, pretty much year ‘round here…we got tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cucumbers, and carrots…!!! :)

8DBB67C4-6E19-4F7F-8779-362E473F5A73.jpegEE3C1CC0-8062-4F9F-A4B5-E6EDC434FF6F.jpeg292FC77E-11C6-4316-981D-F73ECB816EC1.jpegABE9049E-F729-479E-B476-555EA8E7E322.jpeg

Goofyernmost

To each his own I would much rather own my house than rent. In 25 years have had to replace the AC once (normal life span), refrigerator, washer/dryer once . I built the house 25 years ago for 100K (now payed off) it is now worth 650K if I ever need the money I can sell it ( or do a reverse mortgage) renting I would not have that option.
No but you would have a comfortable bank account of $650,000 plus social security for you and your wife plus whatever other retirement savings you may have accumulated, and whatever earnings garnered from the 650K. No maintenance, no lawns to mow, no property taxes. Just travel, local or wherever, without worry about what is happening to your home. Just a personal decision, but I had enough of property ownership. I love my kids, but I had no desire to leave them all my equity if I should buy the farm while I scrimped to make ends meet.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
No but you would have a comfortable bank account of $650,000 plus social security for you and your wife plus whatever other retirement savings you may have accumulated, and whatever earnings garnered from the 650K. No maintenance, no lawns to mow, no property taxes. Just travel, local or wherever, without worry about what is happening to your home. Just a personal decision, but I had enough of property ownership. I love my kids, but I had no desire to leave them all my equity if I should buy the farm while I scrimped to make ends meet.
I think it's just that one size does not fit all. Whereas you and I rent (each, for our own various reasons), I can also easily see how home ownership for many others, is their preference. What's important is that we all have a roof over our heads! ;)

Lilofan

I think it's just that one size does not fit all. Whereas you and I rent (each, for our own various reasons), I can also easily see how home ownership for many others, is their preference. What's important is that we all have a roof over our heads! ;)
Home ownership has too many moving parts especially when one gets older. Apt living as seniors is a good thing for some, any issues - call the landlord!

Goofyernmost

That is for sure. The only reason I mentioned it was because after my Father passed I had that conversation with my mother. I couldn't get her to understand how she could afford to pay rent on her social security. She was 76 at the time, in 1995, and had owned the house for years and even at that time had about 200K in equity to pay the rent and would no longer have to worry about maintenance or taxes that kept increasing at warp speed. Besides she would be in a community of people her own age.

Timing worked for her because my sister divorced shortly after and she and her young son moved in with her solving that concern. Still unless that had happened she would have been far better off shedding the property and living free of those problems. She would have had plenty of money from equity to pay her rent and then some. The equity ended up being shared by my sister and myself. That is the one of the reasons why I decided to sell my habitat, collect the money, find an apartment and retire to the Carolina's.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Happy first farm market Saturday of the year:joyfull: It's early so just green/kale/lettuce and eggs but it's nice that is back open:joyfull:
1 of Door County's Farm Markets first opened for the season on Friday and another on Saturday according to their facebook pages. I do know one of them is selling fresh asparagus, fresh pies, maple syrup, and more.

Those markets in Door County usually have their least day open in the year some time in late October or some time in November.

donaldtoo

I keep seeing no property taxes if you rent. Also, no maintenance. I know you’re not being charged directly for either, but, here anyway, those costs are wrapped up in your rent. It’s part of the owner’s CoDB.
Is it different somehow in NC…?

donaldtoo

C’mon, Minnie…we all know you would rather not have a roof over your head…when it’s SNOWING…!!!!!!!!!!! :D🤣:hilarious:;):)

Lilofan

I keep seeing no property taxes if you rent. Also, no maintenance. I know you’re not being charged directly for either, but, here anyway, those costs are wrapped up in your rent. It’s part of the owner’s CoDB.
Is it different somehow in NC…?
I would think property taxes are somewhat built into apt renters monthly payments. How would the owner of the apt complex pay for the annual property taxes to the county otherwise?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom