The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Lilofan

Don't know what rents are in MA but here along with the price increases in houses rents have skyrocketed also
I get the idea of renting based on some that are older than me that rent. They worked until they retired earlier than later, cashed out by selling stocks, selling their home that required more upkeep , very high property taxes, etc selling house at a high price . Now some just relocate and , rent in a desired area and enjoy less stress free living in paying rent. Issues? Call the landlord.

Goofyernmost

At least he's not working in the food area. I am bringing this up because help wanted facebook posts from Frozen Custard stand in Door County were posted. That post said "they will train and feed you". I guess they have no idea how hungry your boys get.

They have job openings for seasonal work. One of them is for full time and part time Custard makers. The ad job description for Custard has learning how to mix and make custard, cleaning the machine, choosing ingredients, and deciding on flavor of the day.

The other position is Custard scooper. A custard Scooper learns all custard and dessert secrets while scooping, serving, cleaning, making shakes, making melts, and making sundaes.
Frozen Custard... Oh, my! As a kid, in my home town, there was this shoddy looking old approximately 6 X 8 single shed on the side of the road across from a paper mill. In the summer, just about every evening we would go for a ride to the area just past it and always stopped to get a cone, chocolate for me, and it was ambrosia. By the time I became a teen the stand was swallowed up by motels and more motels. For years I have been having cravings for some authentic frozen custard. Jump ahead around 60 years and I attended a Durham Bulls game and to my amazement their food court area had a Frozen Custard location. It was like going back in time. Baseball and Custard. What a great combination.

That same road also had an A&W Root Beer, car hop location. Every Saturday evening when we returned from visiting my Grandparents, we would stop for a frosty mug of Root Beer. I miss those days.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I saw a concerning point on the news. A severe shortage of baby formula across the USA? What the heck? Evoke the defense production act to order companies to mass produce?? May have to jump through hoops to get that done.

Goofyernmost

I get the idea of renting based on some that are older than me that rent. They worked until they retired earlier than later, cashed out by selling stocks, selling their home that required more upkeep , very high property taxes, etc selling house at a high price . Now some just relocate and , rent in a desired area and enjoy less stress free living in paying rent. Issues? Call the landlord.
Even though renting doesn't build any equity, it is a wonderful feeling if your AC quits you call the landlord/management. If your refrigerator dies suddenly, you call the landlord. And so on. And what good is built up equity when your taking the dirt nap. Get the money and enjoy while you can. No worries, no stress, no need for tools, just enjoy.

John park hopper

To each his own I would much rather own my house than rent. In 25 years have had to replace the AC once (normal life span), refrigerator, washer/dryer once . I built the house 25 years ago for 100K (now payed off) it is now worth 650K if I ever need the money I can sell it ( or do a reverse mortgage) renting I would not have that option.

donaldtoo

Keep in mind, when you rent you’re still paying property taxes…although, not directly, it’s definitely wrapped up in your rental rate.

Lilofan

Keep in mind, when you rent you’re still paying property taxes…although, not directly, it’s definitely wrapped up in your rental rate.
I think that’s a home being rented. Part of the monthly rental in a home helps pay for property taxes. In apts , I don’t know how that works out to be

wdwfan4ver

Sorry to hear about the rising prices. Of note, I live in MA and have never been able to afford a house here. We are not all wealthy.
I am not surprised with your state. I do know that the Door County section of Wisconsin is not cheap and plays a role businesses not having the easiest time to find help. The cost of living of living for Door County has hurt seasonal help for years. I know the Frozen Custard business that I mentioned to @Figgy1 for help wanted is offering $17.00 per hour for being a custard scooper and $18.00 per hour for being a custard marker.

Lilofan

The owners of the apt. complex pay prop. taxes like a homeowner does, and they definitely pass it in on to the renters. They’re not going to absorb that cost.
I would think as an example if one pays $3K a month as a homeowner and is on the hook for $3-8K property taxes at least the home values eventually go up and when time to sell , cash out for a profit and look elsewhere. If one rents $3K a two bed two bath in my area , clubhouse, tennis, gym, pool , fitness center , hot tub, gated area , wash dryer in apt , central AC , for one who wants stress free living in their later years it is the way to go for some. The renters pay property taxes too I agree.

donaldtoo

I would think as an example if one pays $3K a month as a homeowner and is on the hook for $3-8K property taxes at least the home values eventually go up and when time to sell , cash out for a profit and look elsewhere. If one rents $3K a two bed two bath in my area , clubhouse, tennis, gym, pool , fitness center , hot tub, gated area , wash dryer in apt , central AC , for one who wants stress free living in their later years it is the way to go for some. The renters pay property taxes too I agree.

Yes, DWifey and I have talked about that, as well.
For a married couple, the first 500K of profit (beyond what we paid for our house originally) is non-taxable. MIL’s one-bedroom apt. rent is less than half of 3K, so that would pay for a lot of rent, beyond our work pay.
Also, I can’t even imagine a 3K/ mo. house payment, much less for an apt. Even with prop. tax increases, our house payment never got over 1K.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom