The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Same thing happening here 30 miles north of Charleston yankees coming down from the NE have driven the housing market so high it's ridiculous. It has really hurt the first time home buyers like my son and daughter in law basically they have been priced out
Well, let's be honest about us damn Yankee's. We already had high cost of housing coupled with minimum job opportunities which is why we were enticed to head south where the housing was cheaper, the taxes lower and the weather was nicer. All of those still apply. The difference is that the only reason housing was high up north, especially New England, is because the wealthy southerners were buying up the housing for summer heat escapes and winter snow covered mountains. Part time home owners that are only there at specific times of the year. And a large service job contingency, restaurants, bars, ski area, hotels and other service related places, that were manned by minimum wage locals, desperately trying to make ends meet.

Lilofan

Well, let's be honest about us damn Yankee's. We already had high cost of housing coupled with minimum job opportunities which is why we were enticed to head south where the housing was cheaper, the taxes lower and the weather was nicer. All of those still apply. The difference is that the only reason housing was high up north, especially New England, is because the wealthy southerners were buying up the housing for summer heat escapes and winter snow covered mountains. Part time home owners that are only there at specific times of the year. And a large service job contingency, restaurants, bars, ski area, hotels and other service related places, that were manned by minimum wage locals, desperately trying to make ends meet.
People will move to a cheaper COL state. Take the mass exodus of high COL CA where a number are moving to TX. There are a number in Austin TX, that there is a name for them - Austinfornians.And yes the real estate prices in TX are moving higher and higher because of this.

Cesar R M

People will move to a cheaper COL state. Take the mass exodus of high COL CA where a number are moving to TX. There are a number in Austin TX, that there is a name for them - Austinfornians.And yes the real estate prices in TX are moving higher and higher because of this.
We're getting the same.
Thousands of americans who can't live comfortably in the USA are moving to Mexico main towns. Where there is internet and they can work remotely.
They are inflating the prices of housing beyond anything the Mexicans can pay.
Housing speculation is insane.

donaldtoo

Yep, I see more and more Cali plates here. But, even though our real estate prices are soaring, it’s still a bargain to them.
The recent tax appraisal on our home was 7 times what we paid for it. Granted, that was about 33 years ago, but, our oldest DD and SonIL’s home that they purchased a little over 4 years ago was appraised at about 3 times what they paid for it.
One site even showed a price for our home at 8+ times what we paid for it…!!!!! :hilarious:
It’s just nutso…!!!!! 🤪🤣

donaldtoo

Sorry to hear about the rising prices. Of note, I live in MA and have never been able to afford a house here. We are not all wealthy.

When we bought way back when, interest rates were not as low as they are now, but, prices were really low.
It definitely wasn’t some grand strategy by us, it was just lucky timing…we wanted to start a family in a house…!!! :)

wdwfan4ver

James is eating that is all:banghead:
At least he's not working in the food area. I am bringing this up because help wanted facebook posts from Frozen Custard stand in Door County were posted. That post said "they will train and feed you". I guess they have no idea how hungry your boys get.

They have job openings for seasonal work. One of them is for full time and part time Custard makers. The ad job description for Custard has learning how to mix and make custard, cleaning the machine, choosing ingredients, and deciding on flavor of the day.

The other position is Custard scooper. A custard Scooper learns all custard and dessert secrets while scooping, serving, cleaning, making shakes, making melts, and making sundaes.

Figgy1

Premium Member
At least he's not working in the food area. I am bringing this up because help wanted facebook posts from Frozen Custard stand in Door County were posted. That post said "they will train and feed you". I guess they have no idea how hungry your boys get.

They have job openings for seasonal work. One of them is for full time and part time Custard makers. The ad job description for Custard has learning how to mix and make custard, cleaning the machine, choosing ingredients, and deciding on flavor of the day.

The other position is Custard scooper. A custard Scooper learns all custard and dessert secrets while scooping, serving, cleaning, making shakes, making melts, and making sundaes.
James recently got a letter saying he should work where dh does with an offer to feed him for the duration of his employment. It's rather tempting from my end:angelic:

FutureCEO

Ending a half day Epcot with about 22000 steps plus some more when getting off the bus.

My video is too large to load but I got school bread to go and then all hell broke loose. Downpour, thunder and heavy lightening so much that the lights on the ball lost power for a few seconds.

But it was nice to look at. The entrance lights with the rain coming down.

I took shelter under the ball but broke into a sprint to the bus during a lull.

donaldtoo

Ending a half day Epcot with about 22000 steps plus some more when getting off the bus.

My video is too large to load but I got school bread to go and then all hell broke loose. Downpour, thunder and heavy lightening so much that the lights on the ball lost power for a few seconds.

But it was nice to look at. The entrance lights with the rain coming down.

I took shelter under the ball but broke into a sprint to the bus during a lull.

Was watching the ResortTV1 live stream when that happened. Jenna was in Creations or Connections (can’t remember which…? 🤔), and Josh took a ride on SSE.

Lilofan

Yep, I see more and more Cali plates here. But, even though our real estate prices are soaring, it’s still a bargain to them.
The recent tax appraisal on our home was 7 times what we paid for it. Granted, that was about 33 years ago, but, our oldest DD and SonIL’s home that they purchased a little over 4 years ago was appraised at about 3 times what they paid for it.
One site even showed a price for our home at 8+ times what we paid for it…!!!!! :hilarious:
It’s just nutso…!!!!! 🤪🤣
The local and out of state investors even are getting in on the action. Some paying all cash for homes for sale , hiring multiple contractors to rehab the house inside and out including landscaping for the next several months, then flipping the homes and selling it at more profit and selling price. I've seen it done in areas I've been in. This includes some condos too.

donaldtoo

The local and out of state investors even are getting in on the action. Some paying all cash for homes for sale , hiring multiple contractors to rehab the house inside and out including landscaping for the next several months, then flipping the homes and selling it at more profit and selling price. I've seen it done in areas I've been in. This includes some condos too.

Yep, first one happened 2 houses down from us about 1.5 years ago. Next thing we know, there are 2 vehicles with Cali plates in the driveway, and a few more have moved in on our street since.

donaldtoo

Don't know what rents are in MA but here along with the price increases in houses rents have skyrocketed also

Yep, we recently moved MIL up here from Houston. She’s in a 1-bedroom apt. just down the road from us, where we actually rented 2 apts. years ago before we bought our home. The rent is way more than our house payment was, and we’re helping pay it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom