The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

I don't speak Spanish. It's a long story. My father speaks it since he was a child, it was his first language. My mother, on the other hand, didn't learn it because they would get hit in school if they spoke it so her older brother sister and brother learned it but she and her other sisters didn't.
My mom went and got her masters in Latin American studies and learned Spanish during her schooling. She then went and taught English as a second language to middle schoolers.
My brother and I never learned it. I often get approached in Florida by Spanish speakers and I can understand it but have a hard time speaking it. I'm kind of embarrassed about it. It is very hard for me to learn.
Thats how I felt, hence why I did teach myself heh.
Imagine my face when they tried to shove SPOKEN FRENCH to me in high school :confused:

seahawk7

I was mental when I was pregnant. I didn't allow anyone to touch me, except the doctor. I even hated Mike touching my belly. He used to say, "Hey, it's half mine!" And I would answer, "Then just be sure you're only touching your half!"
I would never mention when the baby was kicking. I wore the loosest clothing available. And I know it was my mother's biggest disappointment that I didn't let her feel the baby, prego-belly-mauler that she was.
You were taking care of yourself, nothing wrong with that.

Cesar R M

In other news.. Ryan Reynolds is REALLY deadpool.. his twitters are hilarious!

DEJ46rK.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Although I'm sure it might be fun to ride around in those little carts, I know I don't want to stay at a resort that I need to commute around. That's what has always stopped me from staying at Fort Wilderness. (I wouldn't camp alone, but I have seen the pix of their little cabins and thought they were sweet.) But it seemed like too much effort, because the property was so large with things spread apart. Since my trips to WDW are usually about 4 days, I try to maximize my time there. I supposed if I stayed over a week, I'd be more willing to try a place like Fort Wilderness. :)

We have done WDW with my kids from the time my DS was 14 months and my DD 2 months. We really knew in that moderate range the new cabins at that time would be great for us given the extra room with small kids and all their stuff you travel with. The reason we didn't was as you said, the commuting within the resort.

While Key West is large and spacious it isn't FW, not by a long shot. I didn't find it any worse than POR and I've stayed there dozens of times. I really like Key West.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
You were taking care of yourself, nothing wrong with that.
I was intensely private.

I hated the baby-voiced, "So, how are you feeling?"
Me, normal-voiced, "I'm fine. How are you?"

Even higher-pitched voice, "And how's the baby?"
Me, even more normal-voiced, "Don't know. It's not here yet to ask, is it?"

Let's be honest, I was a downright B. when I was pregnant. Both times.
That's why this adoption thing is so much easier. :)

seahawk7

I was intensely private.

I hated the baby-voiced, "So, how are you feeling?"
Me, normal-voiced, "I'm fine. How are you?"

Even higher-pitched voice, "And how's the baby?"
Me, even more normal-voiced, "Don't know. It's not here yet to ask, is it?"

Let's be honest, I was a downright B. when I was pregnant. Both times.
That's why this adoption thing is so much easier. :)
He comes fully grown and everything.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We might get 2-3 inches of snow this morning! :)

I sent it to you. We had it yesterday morning. Half of it is still here. Even though it was still freezing out, the sun is high enough that some of it melted. The North side of the property still there. :cautious:

It doesn't seem any of my early spring flowers will bloom for Easter this year. My tulips are only an inch up. :(

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I don't speak Spanish. It's a long story. My father speaks it since he was a child, it was his first language. My mother, on the other hand, didn't learn it because they would get hit in school if they spoke it so her older brother sister and brother learned it but she and her other sisters didn't.
My mom went and got her masters in Latin American studies and learned Spanish during her schooling. She then went and taught English as a second language to middle schoolers.
My brother and I never learned it. I often get approached in Florida by Spanish speakers and I can understand it but have a hard time speaking it. I'm kind of embarrassed about it. It is very hard for me to learn.
It's not easy to learn any language, though I think Spanish is one of the easier languages for English speakers to learn. But the grammar is so different from English. They have so many forms of verbs. So many tenses. And then there's the subjunctive, which we have in English but don't use as much. And then there's words that sound like they mean the same thing but really don't, which gets confusing. For example, "embarazada". Sounds like it should mean embarrassed, right? Well, they teach you in Spanish 1 that it does not mean "embarrassed"; it means pregnant. Another one is éxito, which does not mean exit but means success. Challenging sometimes.

But surprisingly, English is harder for Spanish speakers to learn than Spanish is for English speakers. But still, it's not easy to learn. I started taking Spanish almost 8 years ago, and I would say I'm still not fluent. I can have a conversation in Spanish, I can read, write, and understand a lot of it, but fluent I am not.

I have the opposite problem. People don't realize I speak Spanish because I look so American, and then when they hear Castilian Spanish coming out of my mouth, they're like: :jawdrop:. Especially if they're saying something embarrassing thinking no one around them understands. :hilarious:

And then they ask how I got a Castilian accent (an accent from Spain). Which is because my first teacher was from Spain and I spent the entire first year perfecting the accent,which features a lisp. I mean, I listened, and repeated, and repeated, and repeated until I had it down. I was pretty determined to learn the language back then, so I was working pretty hard. When I got to Spanish 2, we were told to use a different accent. I dropped the lisp, but went back to it when the teacher wasn't around (years later she found out when we were speaking Spanish that I had done that, she rolled her eyes). Then, when I would talk to CMs in Mexico at Epcot, I discovered that if I tried to drop the Castilian accent, they could not understand me, but when I used it, they understood me perfectly. So I changed back to the accent and have never looked back. Even though a lot of Americans don't like the lisp. I don't give a darn. I do, and if it means I can speak and be understood, than that's what I'm going to do.

My Spanish professor lived in Spain for a while. She too lisps.

Cesar R M

I sent it to you. We had it yesterday morning. Half of it is still here. Even though it was still freezing out, the sun is high enough that some of it melted. The North side of the property still there. :cautious:

It doesn't seem any of my early spring flowers will bloom for Easter this year. My tulips are only an inch up. :(
which brings me to this art image again...
bunnymund_tumblr_mdhwsrXXxY1qmzwx0o4_r1_1280.jpg
E. Aster Bunnymund would be ready to clock Jack Frost for this XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom