The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I do love the Little Mermaid and I have watched it many times but after realising that Ariel gets married a week after her 16th birthday it lost some of its shine for me.:rolleyes:

38f7abd36888bce57539d4e67f346b3b.jpg

MySmallWorldof4

:(My whole facebook page is lit up with this:

Dh texted me about it around lunchtime. So sad. He was so young. I was excited they were to do a reboot of 90210. I was a freshman in college when it came out originally.. My roommates and I never missed an episode. I don't think he was to be in the reboot due to scheduling issues. May he rest in peace.

Rista1313

Then in that case, there is no need to deny it... you are old. If it's any consolation I was around when TV's were small round screens and the picture consisted of mostly snow. Radio was AM only... there was no FM. When FM first came out it was set up for stereo so for a promotional thing to let you know how FM would sound (kinda) you had two AM radios tuned to two different stations and they simultaneously broadcast the same music to make it stereo, just so we would know what it sounded like. Another thing I remember was a promotion where they tried to show what Color TV would look like. The provided a color acetate of the bottom half of a screen. They then broadcast a black and white picture (still frame) and you superimposed the acetate on the screen over the B&W image so you could compare the two.

In a contest to determine what was older, myself or dirt, it would be a close call.
LOL.... well you are definitely older than me... if I'm guessing I would say you are close to my fathers age... he will be 69 this year.

Songbird76

It might have been covered before but I just missed it. How many have seen Mary Poppins Returns? I saw it back awhile ago and even though it started out seeming like sacrilege, once I let myself get emotionally involved, I found it to be very good. Some of the songs were as touching as in the original, and the ones that were light hearted and fun (The Cover is not the Book) and some very moving (Place where lost things go). There isn't the degree of acceptance that the original received, but, if some stayed away because it was not going to be the same missed out on some good things not to mention some of the prop used in the first movie. The scene with D ick Van D yke was amazing to see a 90+ year old man doing a little dance on a desk and the original Jane in a cameo.

I thought it was cute and I enjoyed it. Not as good as the original, in my opinion, but it was fun anyway. I thought it was kind of predictable, and that it kind of followed the same basic template as the original....you have the kids getting lost, the tidy up part, the animated section, the chimney sweep/ lamp leeries, and the let's go fly a kite scene, just in slightly different format and with new music. It just kind of paralleled the original, but it was fun for what it was.

Songbird76

I think it was very rude of dh's uncle to judge you as he did.Dutch is definitely not an easy language, and even though English has a lot of German derived words, it is hard. I assume that many of the relatives speak English? They should have been kind enough to include you in conversations by speaking English. You must have felt so awkward and lonely.
I wasn't allowed to speak English in the house. We lived with my in-laws, and my FIL couldn't speak or understand English at all, so English was banned. They thought I would learn Dutch faster if I wasn't allowed to speak English, and as it was their house, it was their rules. But yes, awkward and lonely. Very very lonely. I was SOOOOOO happy when I was finally placed in school, because I finally met some other people, and it got me out of the house every day and my in-laws weren't at school to tell me I couldn't speak English with my friends. My first 6 months in the Netherlands were not very pleasant. Once I got to go to school, things got a bit better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom