The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good lord, isn't that the truth.... They don't understand you don't get a living wage until you have paid your dues... Most of you won't get an awesome job with awesome pay immediately out of college!

I'd slightly amend that to say that we have some Millennials in our group at work, and "some" may be like that. (Had a really funny discussion recently with one of them who was complaining about a task the boss gave her and said, "I don't know why I was asked to do this--what's in it for me?" :p To which I flatly responded, "Your paycheck." :joyfull: )

But, we also have some that are very level-headed, will listen, accept suggestions, and just want to do the best job they can. In short, in my opinion, it still comes down to the individual in the end.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Everything is bought and wrapped. I try to be consistent from year to year. The scam of gift giving for parents and grandparents is that the rate of return sucks. I have two daughters, two sons-in-law, 4 grandchildren and a sister to buy for. This year to buy approximately the same number and type of things as last year I have spent 30% more. I will end up, at the end of the day on Christmas with a minus 80% return on that investment. (as I do every year) I bring gifts in two large boxes and return home placing everything I got in an envelope.;)

Couple that with the loss in value of my retirement investments last month, alone, by 4 grand, I am really starting to get worried about what is happening. I'm trying to keep in the Christmas spirit, but, it is getting harder and harder.
No reason for concern though, I go through this same... why didn't I just put a few dollars in a card and have it over with old person solution. I guess I'm not quite old enough, mentally, to do the grandparent method of low stress gift giving.
It doesn't help that two of those grandchildren have December birthdays.

I hear ya... I've lost a little over 2k in my 401k investments this quarter... It'll be ok! I did cop out and do one kiddo with an IOU $xxx for xmas ... I have the money saved, but he wants it for work boots that are quite expensive, but he/I also know that if I give him cash now, he will spend it... so I have the money waiting for him, for when he's actually ready to purchase the boots.

I sometimes wish I could go the giftcard route, but my husband HATES giftcards with a passion and refuses....

Many people are struggling, so you're not alone. Christmas gifts are a gesture of goodwill, and there shoudln't be any pressure to determine their worth, simply by the price of the item.

I know it's cliche, but it really is the thought that counts. No need to feel bad and internalize what you can't buy, but focus on the joy of what you can give from the heart, to the important people in your life.

Too bad people aren't more like my dog -- give him a dog biscuit, and he runs off gleefully into the sunset. :joyfull:

Goofyernmost

No, McD's, Wendy's and BK are pretty much the same thing. Edible, but, nothing to write home about. I don't know exactly how to describe what it was about 5 Guys that pulled me in but, things like patties that aren't compacted into the consistency of a hockey puck and the availability of grilled onions as a condiment and even the flavor of the burger seemed to have a certain pleasantness to it. Perhaps @JenniferS, being a connoisseur of, what in Canada is probably called "Five Polite Gentlemen, eh", has a better evaluation of the why's then I. I just liked them. I still do, but, not like I once did.
UPDATE: After bad mouthing the place in the above post, I found myself jonesing for a burger. So last night I went to 5 Guys to give them another chance. They were back to what I remembered, so they are back on my list of the best burgers ever. Not necessarily the healthiest ever, but, what the hell we are all going to die someday, might as well have a good reason for it.
I still avoided the french fries although I did longingly stare at an adjacent table at theirs for an inordinate amount of time. I managed to stop before they called the cops. The peanuts were superb.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Going out for Prime Rib tonight, that beats 5 guys any day!

Sadly, the place we are going announced they are closing March 1... they have been in business since I was a kid... but the owner died this year, and I'm guessing her kids didn't want to keep it going.

Big sympathy like there. There were 2 great restaurants that we loved (more for special occasions/pricey) that closed this past year. One had been a family business and the kids sold out. The other was an privately owned/operated one, but was given a selling price offer they couldn't refuse--a big developer pulled out all the stops to buy the property, gut the restaurant, and build a mixed use development on the land (by the seashore). Sigh.

Goofyernmost

I'd slightly amend that to say that we have some Millennials in our group at work, and "some" may be like that. (Had a really funny discussion recently with one of them who was complaining about a task the boss gave her and said, "I don't know why I was asked to do this--what's in it for me?" :p To which I flatly responded, "Your paycheck." :joyfull: )

But, we also have some that are very level-headed, will listen, accept suggestions, and just want to do the best job they can. In short, in my opinion, it still comes down to the individual in the end.
True in any situation. We all tend to stereotype to often, however, stereotyping comes about because of the fact the many notice a trend in larger numbers then just random. So we judge all by the same observation even if they aren't actually doing it.

MySmallWorldof4

No idea why the pictures posted that many times. Dd’s team went. They got a 93.5. They had one deduction. Apparently one move they did in a stunt was illegal. The flyers touch their feet in a pike up to the top of their heads. So now they will get lifted in a tuck. @MouseDreaming knows what I am talking about. Here is a picture of the illegal move. Must be a new rule. Coach didn’t know.
BD56F92F-7262-455D-938D-4F0A00A145A4.png
My dd is the one up in the left group.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
No idea why the pictures posted that many times. Dd’s team went. They got a 93.5. They had one deduction. Apparently one move they did in a stunt was illegal. The flyers touch their feet in a pike up to the top of their heads. So now they will get lifted in a tuck. @MouseDreaming knows what I am talking about. Here is a picture of the illegal move. Must be a new rule. Coach didn’t know.
View attachment 333386
My dd is the one up in the left group.

I don't know much about these types of competitions, but a 93.5 sounds good to me! Congrats to the girls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom