The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Figgy1

Agree. Money for a cruise sounds like more fun! :)

We also have a reasonable limit on the gifts budget. (In all, there are 8 people to buy for, including us.) We get the out-of-state gifts early, and ship them out. So that helps to get those bought earlier, as they'll hit a November billing cycle and get those paid off. Then a smaller amount of gifts appear on the Dec. billing cycle.

I also pay cash for at least 50% of the gifts we buy. (Years ago, it would take me until February to pay off the Christmas gifts, but no more. Eventually, sanity kicked in, and I streamlined the budget.) ;)
Paid cash for everything this year:joyfull: Cash as in dead presidents, no plastic required;)

Figgy1

Nice. Yep...that sounds about how things usually go. Anything for the "real" athletes. :rolleyes: I bet most of those girls could give those football players a run for their money in a fitness competition.
I'm the least coordinated and least athletic person and always have been but I could out run a few guys on the cross country team, do more sit ups than most of the handeggs players and leg press more than a few of the "real" athletes. That may explain why our school's guy sports were always 0 and every game;)

Songbird76

What a story! The only good thing that came out of it was you got an interesting story to tell 20 some odd years later.
Right! When we got home the next afternoon (they opened the roads again around 11 or so), the bus was just dropping us off at our homes because our parents couldn't get out of driveways to get to the school to pick us up, and those of us old enough to drive wouldn't have been able to get out of the parking lot at school. So we get to this one girl's house and she lived on a hill, and all the snow had been blown up against her front door...you couldn't even see the door. She went home with one of the other girls until the neighbors could organize a dig party so she could actually get in her house. I tell ya, the principal sure heard about it from the parents that he gave money to 20 some odd basketball players to stay in a holiday (4 to a room) in while he expected 9 speech and debate kids to go through a mountain pass in a blizzard and then sleep 7 to a room in a hotel with no heat when the road finally closed. We were SOOOO relieved that they closed the road, but wished they had done it about 20 minutes sooner. Our principal was a complete MORON though. He hid when parents came to the school to talk to him and when we graduated, it was tradition to give the principal a gift from the senior class. We ordered a plaque, but unfortunately the school secretery was the one who actually had to receive it and approve the payment, and she sent it back because it "had some really obvious typos!" The principal's name was Bob. "Dear Dr. Bo ob, thank you for being so impotent in our lives."

Songbird76

Good grief! :jawdrop: Glad I was never into any sort of sports in school!!
Well, to be fair, 90% of my experiences with school activities were great. I wouldn't have changed it for the world. I'm glad I did them, and for me, it was a chance to get out of the house and meet other kids my age with similar interests, etc. I loved it. It's just that our principal was an incompetent idiot and a jerk (those are the family friendly, polite terms...believe me, it's an understatement) and he really didn't like the speech team, or the arts. Which was crazy, because 2 of his 3 kids were involved in music....his son was the one who played Colonel Pickering in My Fair Lady and smacked me so hard I was crying. He was a good singer. But the principal kept trying to kill the music and drama departments, and believe me, his kids were no athletes! His daughter had a reputation for the floor being magnetic....she fell down a LOT. I don't know what he was thinking.

Songbird76

I'm the least coordinated and least athletic person and always have been but I could out run a few guys on the cross country team, do more sit ups than most of the handeggs players and leg press more than a few of the "real" athletes. That may explain why our school's guy sports were always 0 and every game;)
When I was a football cheerleader, the handegg team had a 7 year perfect losing streak. And our basketball team wasn't doing well until the coach got ticked at some of the first string players because of their behavior outside of school/sports, so he decided to punish them by benching them and he took all the B string players and let them start...suddenly we started winning and came SO close to making it to state that year. Never went back to the original starting line-up. But our girls, who made it to state almost every year, were always considered as inferior, and don't even think about calling the cheerleaders ahtletes. We had no dance teams or anything.

MouseDreaming

When I was a football cheerleader, the handegg team had a 7 year perfect losing streak. And our basketball team wasn't doing well until the coach got ticked at some of the first string players because of their behavior outside of school/sports, so he decided to punish them by benching them and he took all the B string players and let them start...suddenly we started winning and came SO close to making it to state that year. Never went back to the original starting line-up. But our girls, who made it to state almost every year, were always considered as inferior, and don't even think about calling the cheerleaders ahtletes. We had no dance teams or anything.
We have a different angle. Cheerleading was also considered a club activity, until the cheer coach became the athletic director. Now competitive cheer is and spirit season are both varsity sports. Let me tell you, spirit season is pushing it. Comp. cheer, absolutely a sport. So if you are in cheer, you can automatically be a 2 varsity sport participant. Which is very good on apps for very competitive colleges. With one varsity sport, you can opt out of gym, since you already do training and conditioning. DD met with her counselor who told her, while her grades and classes are impressive, and it is good she is involved at school, she really needs to pick up at least one sport. Really? Between poms, which is 2 seasons, band, pep band, jazz band, and playing with orchestra, and the dance classes she has to take outside of school to be able to be on competitive dance, when? I really hope they change comp. dance to a sport.

MouseDreaming

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom